PDA

View Full Version : Blackhorn 209 in revolvers?

olyinaz
February 25, 2009, 12:10 AM
Can anyone offer an opinion as to whether Blackhorn 209 would be safe to shoot in either a Ruger Old Army or a steel framed Uberti Remington 1858? I can understand that while BP is safe in any cap and ball revolver (to include open top brass frame models) Blackhorn 209 might be a bit strong for some but these two revolvers which I own are pretty stout pieces no?

Would even a light load of the stuff (15 or 20 grains) be problematic?

Thus far I see everyone saying that it's not recommended for pistols but I don't see anyone saying why that would be the case. After all, it is engineered and marketed as a BP substitute!

Thanks for your insights,
Oly in Tucson

Blankwaffe
February 25, 2009, 12:39 AM
The Buckhorn as well as something like Triple Seven generate higher pressures.IMHO both of these types of BP substitutes are designed for use in the new modern inline type rifles.What Im told by Hogdon on the Triple seven is the loads should be cut back 15% for traditional side locks due to the differences in performance of the powder.They absolutely say not to use it in a revolver if you call the tech line...trust me I asked.In fact they told me to use Pyrodex only in my muskets.
Personally I just use trusty ole Black Powder from Goex in all my caplock rifles,revolvers and particlularly in the flintlocks.
The only muzzleloaders I use the Triple Seven,Pyrodex and the like in is my TC inline rifles and they all use 209 primers which aids in ignition of the newer powders.
Otherwise Ive had very little luck in using the substitute powders in my caplocks,flintlocks or pistols.
If your having a hard time finding Black powder,which I totally understand,then I would use the appropriate Pyrodex granulation.I'd be a little worried about using the more modern powder substitutes in a revolver.

arcticap
February 25, 2009, 02:25 AM
The Blackhorn is specifically made for use with 209 primers because it's not easy to ignite.
Maybe it will ignite with a small "primer" charge loaded into the bottom of the cylinder first as in a duplex powder load. But even then, it may need a tight seal in a longer barrel to develop comparable velocity because it's a progressive burning powder.
If it doesn't fully ignite properly using it alone, then the result would be like a squib or weak load.

I doubt that shooting even a chamber full of Blackhorn from a Ruger OA could damage it at all.

Hawg Haggen
February 25, 2009, 05:34 AM
Like Arcticap said you'd have to duplex it. Pyrodex works just fine and is about a third the price of Blackhorn.

Pahoo
February 25, 2009, 11:50 AM
My Opinion;
Blackhorn is relatively new with limited use in Side Cockers and in-lines, let alone Revolvers. I have yet to see any kind of personal review on this product. Whenever I have a question like this, I go to the manufacturer and get his recommends. In short, go to the source and please let all of us know what you find out. ;)

This is their website and the pretty much spell out it's use and limitations. You can also contact them with specifics.

http://www.blackhorn209.com/files/pdf/brochure.pdf

Be Safe !!!

olyinaz
February 25, 2009, 11:16 PM
Like the one fellow said I don't see how one could harm an Old Army with any black powder substitute given how stout the darn thing is but I hadn't considered the fact that BH209 may be harder to ignite and thus not suitable for revolvers.

While I do indeed have a hard time finding actual black powder (vs. Pyrodex which I dislike) my main interest was the non-corrosive nature of the product.

I'll definitely drop the manufacturer a line and report back.

Thanks for the comments.

Best,
Oly

Hawg Haggen
February 26, 2009, 05:10 AM
BP and Pyrodex both aren't nearly as corrosive as most people think they are. It's not necessary to clean as soon as you finish shooting. You can wait a few days with no harm done.

simonkenton
February 26, 2009, 03:20 PM
I wouldn't hesitate to use Blackhorn 209 in my cap and ball pistols.
Sorry to have lost the faith, boys, but I am tired of cleaning them!
But I believe you are begging for ignition problems trying to light this stuff with a percussion cap.

Pahoo
February 26, 2009, 04:23 PM
There might be a logical reason they named it "Blackhorn 209"
What do you think ??? ;)

Be Safe !!!

olyinaz
February 27, 2009, 08:37 PM
>>>There might be a logical reason they named it "Blackhorn 209"<<<

Definitely a tidbit not lost on me! I guess I was just hoping to have a bunch of guys chime in with, "Oh yeah, no problem. I use the stuff in my revolvers all the time! Best thing since sliced cheese." :p

Cheers,
Oly