PDA

View Full Version : going out to eat and seating

troy_mclure
February 23, 2009, 07:40 PM
where do you sit when you go out to eat?
my buddies mock me because i always want a wall to my back.
it makes me way to twitchy to sit with my back "out" especialy facing the door.

NitroBerserker
February 23, 2009, 08:10 PM
+1
My GF is very familiar with this and if sitting first will give me the seat with a view of the door.

cschwanz
February 23, 2009, 08:12 PM
i usually try to sit with my back against the wall as well, or at least facing the door. if its a booth, i always try to sit so my right side is in toward the wall ( im right handed and carry strongside)

hoytinak
February 23, 2009, 08:18 PM
I always sit facing the exits with my carry side on the inside. It's hard to go out and eat with my father as he always what's the same seat I do. :)

rantingredneck
February 23, 2009, 08:22 PM
I sit facing the door as well.

Hoyt, Why this though?

my carry side on the inside.

I like to have my right (carry side) to the outside of the booth if possible. Seems to my thinking that it avoids the table becoming and obstruction and crossing over your dining partner's body with your weapon.

I'm interested in your thoughts on it though.......

cschwanz
February 23, 2009, 08:24 PM
i keep my carry side to the inside simply to avoid printing and allowing everyone in the restaraunt to see/know i have a gun on my hip.

hoytinak
February 23, 2009, 08:27 PM
I just still get paranoid about printing too much, if it's to the inside no one can see the arrow that points to gun. :o

rantingredneck
February 23, 2009, 08:28 PM
Oh I see.......:D.

I've just come to not give a crap about the big neon arrow......Mostly......:D

Wildalaska
February 23, 2009, 08:31 PM
LOL...if someone wants to get you in a resteraunt you are gotten...

Ask Carmine Galante, Joey Gallo and Arthur Flegenheimer

WildiwannagowithfoodinmynmouthAlaska ™

bcarver
February 23, 2009, 08:48 PM
no booth ever. I don't want to be sitting still during a robbery/shooting.
Back to wall is a must.
I have to be able to see all exits and kitchen.
Never know when a cook will wig out with a cleaver.
I also like a window to see who is coming inside.
Some reasturants don't even have one suitable table.

Wildalaska
February 23, 2009, 08:56 PM
Never know when a cook will wig out with a cleaver.

Thats a joke, right:confused:

WildpleasetellmeitsajokeAlaska ™

dabigguns357
February 23, 2009, 09:25 PM
furthest from the door but still facing door,i hopfully will have more time to react.If someone walks in shooting,they usually go for the closest one first.:eek:

CAP1
February 23, 2009, 09:42 PM
Never sit with my back to the door(s) or crowd.
Wife finally understands it and takes her seat without me having to say anything.

Virginia58
February 23, 2009, 10:47 PM
Good to know I'm not the only one who won't sit with their back to the door. I might still be crazy...but I'm not alone

BillCA
February 24, 2009, 12:28 AM
Thoughts;

Sit in a position that allows you to see the most you can of the dining area and the entrance to the dining area.

If I have to chose, I'll take the view of the entrance to the dining area over being able to see all the diners. I figure most are there to eat and few robbers have the nerve to dine & rob.

Tables are better than booths - more directions for you to move and you don't have to "slide out". Additionally, some booth seats are awfully soft making it harder to get out.

In a booth, gun-side out means you can engage from a seated position while pushing out of the booth with the off hand.

In a booth, gun-side in means you can covertly unholster and slide hand and gun under the table. Use your off hand to pull yourself out of the booth using the end of the table.

Gun-side out means you can fire further down an aisle without crossing patrons at your table or others.

A table can be flipped on its side for concealment/cover where the table in a booth generally cannot.

The almost ideal position is a table towards the back of the dining area, with a wall behind you, windows overlooking the entrance walkway visible, and where "customers" at the register will have their back to you.

I spend more time worrying about the quality of their cooks and their food than I do that some kind of robbery will go down.

In any place that might be robbed due to its location, the parking lot is two to three times more dangerous than inside the restaurant.

A robbery in the parking lot increases your danger level 1000%.

In a parking lot robbery, the thief expects the male to be the one likely to resist/retaliate/attack. So fellas, get your wives CCW's and distract while she shoots! :D

That's my thinking on this subject.

chris in va
February 24, 2009, 01:20 AM
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm not that 'tuned' while eating.

fivepaknh
February 24, 2009, 01:32 AM
I take whatever table or booth they seat me at. Even before I started carrying I liked to be able to see what’s going on around me. So I usually take a seat at the booth/table where I have the most visibility of the rest of the restaurant. I also try to keep my gun in the inside for the same reason as a couple of you, to avoid showing the gun if printing. Though, I really don’t go around in high alert. Like where I live really isn’t that dangerous.

Wildalaska
February 24, 2009, 01:32 AM
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm not that 'tuned' while eating.

You must be either a sheep or suicidal *insert ironic/sarcastic smiley here*

WildhowcanyouenjoylifewithoutbeinginconditionyellowatDennysAlaska TM

Hey was Pulp Fiction on TV recently :)

G-man 26
February 24, 2009, 01:58 AM
I don't worry about giving up the better seat to my dad or a few of my buddies. I take the opportunity to slip from condition "red" to "yellow". Also, you get a little practice keeping an eye on your "partner's" 6. Look out for that crazed cook and etc.

grymster2007
February 24, 2009, 02:08 AM
Doesn't really matter to me. I'm not that 'tuned' while eating. Well I'm "tuned" when I'm eating and I face the KITCHEN. Home, out, it don't matter! That's where the FOOD comes from! And unless he wants to be on the menu, the wigged out chef with a cleaver better be coming over to filet my sushi!

I'm famished. :)

troy_mclure
February 24, 2009, 02:26 AM
im not so concerned with with robberies, but with nut jobs coming in and firing off a bunch of rounds, like has happened in california several times over the last few years.

Hirlau
February 24, 2009, 02:32 AM
Lots of good advice:)

Just that I don't want to mentally run through a "Check-List" of tactical options each time I go out to eat, which is often (no wife to cook):(

I keep two basic rules:

1. Mix/sit close to the crowd at a point where you can see most of the activity in the resturant. (this allows you to camouflage your threat response with the hysterics of the crowd's reaction).

2. Don't sit next to the restrooms. ( Hostilities usually enter through the front/rear doors or the subject enters the restroom from the crowd to "gear up"; exits and that poor soul next to the "Johnny Door" gets the warm-up shot, establishing the mindset of the subject.

Just thoughts...

hogdogs
February 24, 2009, 02:47 AM
While not carrying CW, I still like back to wall etc. but I also like to be able to watch the honeys. Ticks me off when I gotta do a fake throat clearing cuz momma goes for my seat... She just says "Sorry hun..." and moves... After 20 dang years married she might wait for me to pick or just sit with back to door.:rolleyes:
Brent

koolminx
February 24, 2009, 03:04 AM
Damn!
I don't know what I walked into when I registered here, You guy's are starting to sound like the people I lived near in Nebraska a while back... ;)

Always saying the same thing many of you are... But guess what fellers?

Remember that Christmas Mall shooting in Omaha last year or the year before, where the kid walked in and just killed everybody that was dumb enough to stand there?

Well I know of THREE concealed carry people that were with in 100 feet of that lunatic teenager, that RAN and HID when the schitt hit the fan, just like all the girls and school kids.:rolleyes:

They also talked tactically about where they "automatically sit favoring their shootin' hand" and all the same old same old, all because they seen some good old kick ass Gangster movies...

I'm not trying to rain on your parade guy's, I think you're all pretty damn helpful as a group, and have some very helpful posts, and a lot of informative reading!

I'm just gonna end my post with how I sit when I go out. :cool:

I sit wherever the hell I want' cuz there aint nobody on this here God's Lovely Green Earth ornery enough, tough enough, gritty enough, big enough, or Sneaky enough (not even them little ninjer fella's) ta come a shootin' up any place that I might be havin' my vittles!

Next time you go out to eat, and you go to your favorite place to hog on some grub, and you walk in, and a strange peacefulness settles all over you like a warm blanket... You can rest assured that it's ME koolminx, sittin' there with my back to the rest of the world protecting YOU from the bad guy's... :D :D :cool: Gee aint I a nice feller?

-K

BikerRN
February 24, 2009, 03:05 AM
I don't worry about giving up the better seat to my dad or a few of my buddies. I take the opportunity to slip from condition "red" to "yellow". Also, you get a little practice keeping an eye on your "partner's" 6. Look out for that crazed cook and etc.

I'm not trying to pick on you, really I'm not, but you really need to understand the color code system better if you are going to put it out there for all the world to see.

You cannot maintain "Red" indefinately, unless YOUR red is everybody else's yellow.

Biker

fivepaknh
February 24, 2009, 03:17 AM
I don’t have color coded conditions. I just go out and live. If something bad happens I just hope I respond appropriately. If that means running, then so be it. If there's no place to run, then hopefully I'll keep my head enough that I can use my firearm.

Firepower!
February 24, 2009, 04:00 AM
This just makes me laugh. I lived in the US for over 10 years and never felt need be paranoid. Do you guys have lots of enemies that you sit facing the exit, etc. I guess you guy never had people after you with guns. Sorry but this sounds childish, and like some one who wants to be a hunted 'wanabe'.
Or perhaps you are runing out of excuses to buy new handgun. How do ppl put up with this sort or wierd attitude???

hogdogs
February 24, 2009, 04:17 AM
I have at times had serious enemies but that is not the point. Situational awareness is...
You need not be paranoid or a hunted person to be caught up in violence.
Firepower, You obviously have not seen the news more than once or twice in the last 20 years have you?
Brent

BillCA
February 24, 2009, 04:41 AM
Firepower - some of us developed these habits while eating out in uniform. Anyone in any kind of emergency services or military uniform is a prime target when the action starts.

koolminx - Seating yourself so that you can have a good view of your surroundings does not imply a desire to engage any miscreant who starts something. It may be much harder for you to understand that priority #1 is to survive, even if that means not engaging. And for most of us, being able to get our family out of the kill zone supercedes any concept of heroic engagements. But then, most of us don't have the advantage of exuding an aura of badness that will make Chuck Norris and Vin Diesel belly crawl out the back door when we walk in either. :rolleyes:

G-Man, as BikerRN pointed out, you need to refamiliarize yourself with the color code, preferrably Jeff Cooper's version. But you did bring up a good point about practicing watching your partner's six. Of course, that implies your partner is someone alert and aware enough to spot potential trouble at your six. Unlike my ex who doesn't pay much attention to anything more than 12 feet away from her "bubble".

evan1293
February 24, 2009, 04:47 AM
How about just enjoying a nice dinner out, rather than being worried about impending danger at every moment.

Certainly, common sense is needful in every situation, and common sense in a restaraunt would generally dictate that you should just relax and enjoy your food.

fivepaknh
February 24, 2009, 05:08 AM
How about just enjoying a nice dinner out, rather than being worried about impending danger at every moment.

Certainly, common sense is needful in every situation, and common sense in a restaraunt would generally dictate that you should just relax and enjoy your food.

Because a responsible gun owner is prepared at all times. That’s why in the shower I put a 1911 in a condom and duct tape it to my thigh. Yes, reloads are taped to my other thigh. You never know when those scrubbing bubbles might attack.

Where I put my bug in the shower I’ll leave up to your imagination.;)

Firepower!
February 24, 2009, 05:15 AM
Because a responsible gun owner is prepared at all times. That’s why in the shower I put a 1911 in a condom and duct tape it to my thigh. Yes, reloads are taped to my other thigh. You never know when those scrubbing bubbles might attack.

This is just soooooooooooooo funnnnyyyyy!

Firepower!
February 24, 2009, 05:17 AM
Firepower, You obviously have not seen the news more than once or twice in the last 20 years have you?

Ha ha ha.. Sorry I missed the daily NEWS of people getting ambushed at local IHOPs! What? Yes, its the pancakes with shifty eyes.

pmeisel
February 24, 2009, 07:48 AM
I don't worry, my posse's got that for me.

love your posts Wild

PhoenixConflagration
February 24, 2009, 08:00 AM
I sit anywhere but the lounge/bar area, since that's not allowed with a CFL. Beyond that, I enjoy my meal. If someone comes in blasting with a silencer, I guess I'm screwed, but other than that, I can hear when gunshots and screams ring out. I maintain the general mindset of not being stupid and doing what's right for myself and others. All anyone can do is hope that they'll react to a situation appropriately. That goes for mass shootings and ordering your meal equally.

The Great Mahoo
February 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
I typically don't worry about it. When we get to the table, its polite to seat the ladies in my party before I sit down. Most don't know that I have a firearm or have any clue as to my seating preference.

All things being equal, I prefer to sit with with my gun towards the inside of a booth, towards a wall, or anywhere there will be fewer people likely to see it. This is only because I may want to take my jacket off and not want to expose or print my gun (depending on dress). I've always been accustomed to putting my back to the wall if able, but it certainly wouldn't make me leave if I couldn't.

All in all, if I am the first to arrive and get a table, I take a prefered seat. If not, I still sit comfortably and enjoy my meal.

hogdogs
February 24, 2009, 10:14 AM
We hear all too often terms like random violence, target of oppurtunity, and unintended victim... While you may hear the shooting start, I am told you won't hear the one that kills you. It is that slim chance I will be able to tell folks are up to no good. It is the * "read" the "tells" * I am hoping for...
Brent

ZeSpectre
February 24, 2009, 10:26 AM
mostly I try to sit reasonably close to an exit (that includes big plate glass windows :D ).

Beyond that I do like to at least keep an eye on the doors.

I'm also in the club that likes to sit with my firearm on the "inside" (near the wall or whatever) but this is mostly because in Va if you carry in a place that serves alcohol you have to carry openly. Va natives don't tend to even notice but I live in a fairly touristy town and sometimes the out-of-towners get nervous if they notice.

Glenn E. Meyer
February 24, 2009, 10:33 AM
Don't get romantically involved with the chef.

http://www.modernghana.com/news2/186775/1/male-chef-killed-and-cooked-boyfriend.html

What round for orang in restaurant?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-457244/Orang-utan-goes-rampage-zoo-restaurant.html

You should only eat out with a tactical class dripping hardware and watch the argument over the tactical table and seating.

David Armstrong
February 24, 2009, 10:38 AM
I sit where they want to seat me unless I find the seating uncomfortable, such as too close to other people. Basing my seating position on "how can I best survive if BGs come in to kill everybody" seems like such an exercise in absurdity to me that I can't even visualize it. If you are that worried, eat at home with the doors locked and the bunker curtains secured.

NRAhab
February 24, 2009, 10:41 AM
I try to not take "tactical lunches". But when I do, I use a Blackhawk Serpa chest rig, so that I can get to my gun in a hurry when I'm seated - if some tangos hit the local Chilis, I need to be able to drop my burger and get my CQB Tactical Destroyer in .455 Heffalump Magnum out in a hurry!

ElectricHellfire
February 24, 2009, 10:42 AM
Usually, when possible, facing the door, gun (right side) to the wall. Not hard and fast rule though. Restaurants can be busy and I'm not waiting an hour for the "perfect" tactical table.

rantingredneck
February 24, 2009, 10:45 AM
Ha ha ha.. Sorry I missed the daily NEWS of people getting ambushed at local IHOPs! What? Yes, its the pancakes with shifty eyes.

Firepower,

I respect you for what you have to go through daily just to survive where you live. No doubt you are in harms way more often than any of us here in the States in our civilian lives. That being said, keep in mind that while rare, mass shootings do happen here. They sometimes happen in restaurants as well (http://www.geocities.com/jermil.geo/lubys.html). Click the link and read the story of Dr. Susan Gratia-Hupp and the Luby's Diner massacre. She was one of the leading advocates in the passage of the TX CHL law. Had she been armed she may have been able to save her family members that day.

While most of us will go through our lives without ever having to stare down the barrel of a gun or at the point of a knife, many of us will (and have) survive(d) such incidents. Having a firearm at that critical time can mean the difference between your or your family's survival. Those of us who carry aren't doing so to live out some "Rambo" fantasy, we're doing so to protect our selves and our loved ones from real, though rare, dangers.

Thanks for your understanding,

RR

ATW525
February 24, 2009, 10:50 AM
Given that I'm not important enough to worry about assassination attempts, I don't stress over seating.

Huey Long
February 24, 2009, 11:10 AM

I keep a Super Redhawk hidden in my toilet tank.

Firepower!
February 24, 2009, 11:21 AM
RR
I respect your opinion, Sir.

Brian Pfleuger
February 24, 2009, 11:27 AM
I don’t have color coded conditions. I just go out and live. If something bad happens I just hope I respond appropriately. If that means running, then so be it. If there's no place to run, then hopefully I'll keep my head enough that I can use my firearm.

+1! Me too.

Wagonman
February 24, 2009, 11:54 AM
I am sure that most posters aren't stressing about the possibility of armed conflict while enjoying a tasty burger, just giving some insight into their S/A while in resturants.

I always face the door after a good 360 scan. It's kinda funny when I eat at work with 4-5 other Coppers all wanting the same seat.

onthejon55
February 24, 2009, 12:26 PM
Don't sit next to the restrooms. ( Hostilities usually enter through the front/rear doors or the subject enters the restroom from the crowd to "gear up"; exits and that poor soul next to the "Johnny Door" gets the warm-up shot,

Oh Noez! Hahaha

Thats horrible but so true

BikerRN
February 24, 2009, 12:33 PM
While I have a preference, the seating location when I'm not in uniform will not interfere with my meal.

Biker

SMiller
February 24, 2009, 12:35 PM
You talk about how parinoid we are, I ate at Famous Daves bbq the other day, 1 day latter I watch the news and a armed gun man came in a robbed the place. I like to have my back to the wall as well, but I will never give up the booth, way to comfortable!

ATW525
February 24, 2009, 12:40 PM
You talk about how parinoid we are, I ate at Famous Daves bbq the other day, 1 day latter I watch the news and a armed gun man came in a robbed the place.

How many people got killed during incident because they were sitting in the wrong seat?

spacemanspiff
February 24, 2009, 12:57 PM
Is it considered bad form to eat from the plate of the guy who just got shot at a restaurant? I mean, no sense letting good food go to waste, right?

Wildalaska
February 24, 2009, 01:18 PM
Is it considered bad form to eat from the plate of the guy who just got shot at a restaurant? I mean, no sense letting good food go to waste, right?

Come over and clean my screen fat man, its got half a Mocha Breve on it and my beard looks like I dipped my face in chocolate pudding

:D:D:D:D:D:D:

Wildpostoftheyear!Alaska ™

Huey Long
February 24, 2009, 01:19 PM

This is precisely why I carry needle-nose pliers right next to my carry piece. If anyone gets shot and killed, they're sure not going to be needing any dental gold.

Wildalaska
February 24, 2009, 01:23 PM
You guys are macabre.....

Hey what if its a super model that gets shot...;)

Or Rosie:eek:

WildforgetitjustrhetoricalinthehopesthemodspressthebuttonAlaska

Stevie-Ray
February 24, 2009, 02:42 PM
I try to be able to keep an eye on the door, doesn't always work as my totally oblivious wife just has to get in from the right. Ticks me off in some places more than others. I like to be where I can best cover her, but right leg in first will always be most important to her.

ElectricHellfire
February 24, 2009, 04:20 PM

LOL. Its ok, just don't eat the Marinara and don't double dip.

IBTL

hoytinak
February 24, 2009, 04:56 PM

Thanks, I needed that today......that would make sig line of the year. :D

koolminx
February 24, 2009, 06:45 PM
This thread is Wonderful!

koolminx - It may be much harder for you to understand that priority #1 is to survive, even if that means not engaging. But then, most of us don't have the advantage of exuding an aura of badness that will make Chuck Norris and Vin Diesel belly crawl out the back door when we walk in either.

That's true, most of us don't... I do :D

That was funny as hell, thanks!

I fully understood what you wrote to me that I left out of the quotes but you probably already know that :)

-K

MrNiceGuy
February 24, 2009, 07:02 PM
When i go out to eat, i'm mostly concerned about getting a window seat with a view of my car.

I'm concerned with comfortable seating, not so much with tactical seating.

chris in va
February 24, 2009, 07:13 PM
Ha. Tactical Seating.

Please...please...someone photoshop a chair with 'accessories'.:D:D

curt.45
February 24, 2009, 07:19 PM
I practice eating while shooting and drinking while reloading.

and you better be sure I'm dead before you go after my food.

I do tend to sit facing the door, but not necessarily in a booth or gun to the wall or back to the wall

mrt949
February 24, 2009, 07:23 PM
Always facing the door.

RedneckFur
February 24, 2009, 07:33 PM
Somtimes when I go to a resturant, I dont even bring my CCW. I'll even have a beer and relax. I like to take a seat that gives me a nice view of the resturant, or perhaps a window.

armedandsafe
February 24, 2009, 07:40 PM
I prefer to sit where I can see the door.

I had a friend who also wanted to sit so he could see the door. Since he didn't carry, and didn't know I did, that got interesting.

I found a small Greek restaurant, ralroad car style, with a counter on one side and 5 or 6 two seat tables along the oposite wall. I called my friend, gave him the address and offered to buy lunch. I waited in the back parking lot until I saw him drive up and park in front.

I walked in the back door as he walked in the front door, facing each other. The look on his face was priceless. :D :eek: :D

Pops

DaveBeal
February 24, 2009, 08:39 PM
I sit facing the TV. Always.

Milspec
February 24, 2009, 09:04 PM
My wife picks the table and I sit where she tells me...don't want to get caught in the cross-fire when she starts shooting...:D

Milspec

jrothWA
February 25, 2009, 12:04 AM
WIdl BIll Hickok, the "dead man's hand" of Aces & Eight (all black).

Shot from behind while playing poker in Deadwood, S.D.

Most MP/SP are taught to sit facing the door, with a solid barrier behind them.

Firepower!
February 25, 2009, 03:24 AM
What if the resturant has metal detectors?

I guess putting gun in a condom as suggested here wont work there.

NRAhab
February 25, 2009, 08:17 AM
WIdl BIll Hickok, the "dead man's hand" of Aces & Eight (all black).

Shot from behind while playing poker in Deadwood, S.D.

It's probably a solid historical bet that if Wild Bill hadn't been stone drunk at the time of his murder, he probably would have been a little bit more aware of ol' Jack McCall coming to blast him.

ltcdoty
February 25, 2009, 08:33 AM
Meals on Wheels.........................never go out...now I'm too afraid...

Glenn E. Meyer
February 25, 2009, 10:18 AM
So do you have a gun in your hand when the Pizza guy delivers. After all, the pizza guy might have been jacked and the pizza used as a ploy to get you to open the door?

grymster2007
February 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
So do you have a gun in your hand when the Pizza guy delivers.

No, but one more crappy pizza out of the local joint and I'm gonna start.

orchidhunter
February 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and that people in general, are "out to get them." Help can be had for this. orchidhunter

hogdogs
February 25, 2009, 10:47 AM
Prepared individuals are well aware that the potential for violence exists everywhere and thus make plans in life to survive if involved in a violent act...
And for this I do not seek "HELP"...:rolleyes:
Brent

BillCA
February 25, 2009, 11:03 AM
Orchid,

Tis not paranoia, but caution.

I doubt that most of the posters here have worked in a job where their clothing made them an easy target during working hours. Lessons are passed along from those who survive an incident or those who listened to those survivors. Hence, the "face the door" or "back to the wall" thinking posted by many.

When dining out, if my dining partner strikes me as someone who wouldn't notice a six-man mortar team setting up in the lobby, then I'll sit facing the door or having a good view of the area.

If they have my confidence then I'll sit wherever is comfortable or left to me. I don't "worry" about it as much as I simply make it habit.

If you look up the San Ysidro, CA killings at the Mickey-D's there, survivors talked about seeing the man approaching with weapons ...and waiting to see what he was doing with the guns. I would have been heading to an exit.

pax
February 25, 2009, 12:15 PM
"You're paranoid."

"Am not."

"<stupid joke>"

"Heheh. <stupider joke>"

"Paranoid."

"Am not."

"Are too."

"<stupid joke>"

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Closed. All noise, no signal.