PDA

View Full Version : How many spare mags and pistols do you carry?

JohnH1963
February 22, 2009, 04:51 PM
Many people carry varying degrees of ammunition and spare pistols. The most extreme examples I have read about are the occasional articles where officers find huge arsenals in someone's car.

I dont think I really need anymore then one pistol or one mag to defend myself.

What do you think you need to carry? If you are an officer, do you carry lots of spares? If you are just a regular Joe, what do you carry?

David Armstrong
February 22, 2009, 05:45 PM
When I was a LEO I carried a main gun and two reloads, and often a second gun. Now that I don't chase BGs for a living any more, one gun and the ammo in it seems sufficient.

JohnKSa
February 22, 2009, 05:48 PM
If I'm carrying a double stack then what's in the gun will have to do. If I'm carrying a single stack I usually have a spare mag in my pocket. More to do with what is easy for me to pack around than a statement of how much I expect to need (or not need).

Keltyke
February 22, 2009, 05:50 PM
My carry pistol holds 10+1 of .40 S&W. If I can't solve a social problem with that, then I shouldn't be where I am or be doing what I'm doing.

Creature
February 22, 2009, 05:59 PM
If it was always so simple. Why is it that some just cant understand that no matter how hard you try to avoid it, sometimes trouble just comes looking for you? Its why I always carry a spare loadout for whatever I am carrying.

armsmaster270
February 22, 2009, 06:03 PM
I was in the Revolver era of Law Enforcement My duty load was my issue S&W Model 15 4" with 4 HKS speedloaders loaded with Federal 38spl +P+ 110gr Controlled expansion bullets the issue load. Under my shirt was a 4" Model 19 .357 round butt 2 1/2" rebarreled to 4" by Davis Co. using 357 145gr Silvertips. Just after I retired the Dept went to Sigs in 9mm, Single stack mags for small hands and double stack for large hands. I bought my duty gun for $125.00 as part of the deal the dept made with Old Sacramento Armory. when they took the guns in as trade-ins for the Sigs the officers could buy their issued weapon back for that price.
Now I carry a Sig 226 in .357Sig as primary and a S&W 340PD as BUG with a reload for each.

MrNiceGuy
February 22, 2009, 06:06 PM
lately i've just been carrying 17+1 of 9mm GDHP's in my Px4

i hate carrying extra weight, and besides, i dont feel under gunned
i'm the kind of guy that doesnt keep change and goes through his key ring once a week to make sure he really needs all of those on there...

golfnutrlv
February 22, 2009, 06:09 PM
I carry 10+1 and a reload with 17 rounds. (Glock Extended mag).

Someone once told me to ALWAYS carry a spare magazine. What if you have a spring fail, or another problem with the mag? My 2 cents

tblt44
February 22, 2009, 06:13 PM
I carry an extra mag everytime unless I'm carrying 2 guns than I don't carry extra mags.My 2 carry pistols hold 7 and 6 in the mag CW 9 & LCP,I also carry a 38 then I put 5 extra in my pocket
I might carry 3 pistols if things get bad

SMiller
February 22, 2009, 11:18 PM
15+1 on me and extra 15 in mag in car or house wherever I am.

doh_312
February 23, 2009, 12:47 AM
13+1 in .45 and two 13rnd mags. Or 12+1 in.40 and two 12rnd mags. If I'm wearing my wife's gun it 7+1 in .380 and one 7 rnd mag. I always try to carry more than one gun. If not two on me then one is tucked in the bag I carry with me. Always try to have atleast one gun on me because that will be the quickest and eastiest to access if needed.

Japle
February 23, 2009, 09:28 AM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/Japle/Guns/Carrystuffredbackground.jpg

Two guns and a total of 42 rounds of ammo.

BTW, the ear plugs are for noisy situations not involving gunfire.
I already wear hearing aids. Don't need any more damage!

hoytinak
February 23, 2009, 09:41 AM
On duty (security, not LEO): 2 spare mags, 0 spare gun (we're not allowed to carry a backup gun)

Off duty CC: 0 spare mags, 0 spare gun

I do have spare with 2 extra mags in the truck 24/7 though.

Kreyzhorse
February 23, 2009, 09:45 AM
I usually carry one spare mag regardless of gun (1911 or LCP) and a dump pouch if I carry my revolver.

chris in va
February 23, 2009, 09:50 AM
One pistol, one mag or speedloader. I just have too much darn weight in my pockets as it is.

For the guys that carry all that stuff, do you live in a really bad area or something?

Brian Pfleuger
February 23, 2009, 11:15 AM
9+1 Glock 33, no spare anythings. No flashlight, no pepper spray, no knives.

My outings are generally to Wal*Mart with the wife and kids.... well lit parking lots, plenty of people, non-violent city, early evening or afternoons, generally times and places of "safety", relatively speaking. Safe like I can't remember the last report of a violent crime outside the "expected" norms. By "expected" I mean meth dealers fighting within the group and that sort of thing. We simply do not have muggings, armed robberies or gangs problems in this area. Some day we will and then I'll rethink my strategy.

doh_312
February 23, 2009, 01:00 PM
Chris, I actually think I live in a "good" neighborhood and I do my best to stay out of "bad" areas. Trouble is, bad situations know no boundaries. Being in a "good" area sounds safe but really doesn't keep Mr. Crack addict from coming after you. If anything, a "good" neighborhood would attract criminals because nice houses usually have nice things to steal. I carry all that I do because my gun is useless with out bullets, and I sure as hell don't want to run out of rounds before the fight is over. A back-up gun because guns do fail. I certainly don't want to pull my weapon and have the firing pin fail, now I've got my pants down with my butt flapping in the wind. Gun failure and lack of amo is what I call the "Oh S***" moment. You expect to defend your self with what you have and it fails. Having extra amo and a back-up greatly reduces my chances of being stuck in an oh s*** moment. But I do not judge you for carrying less than me, I do not judge those who carry more than me. What is acceptable to you is fine for you and acceptable to others is fine for others.

Japle
February 23, 2009, 02:15 PM
Chris, same with me. I live in an area where, as Evan Marshall says, three stolen bicycles in a month is a crime wave.

BUT!!
There was a shooting less than 1/2 a mile from my house last year.

You can be attacked in any parking lot at any time of the day or night.
Home invasions are increasing.

Just because I wear a seatbelt and have airbags in my car doesn't mean I'm expecting to be in a serious accident.

Just because I carry two guns and spare ammo doesn't mean I'm expecting an attack.

The Great Mahoo
February 23, 2009, 02:52 PM
I carry 1 gun, seldom any reloads. If its my revolver, I may drop a speed-strip in my pocket, but I rarely like the bulk of an extra mag for my auto.

I do keep 1 extra mag and a box of rounds in my truck, depending on what I am carrying at the time, but its probably of little use for anything but after-the-fact reloading if I were confronted in a parking lot.

mavracer
February 23, 2009, 03:05 PM
usually carry one gun and one reload.also usually have a gun with a reload in vehical.
9+1 Glock 33, no spare anythings. No flashlight, no pepper spray, no knives.
most times I'd feel more naked without the knife and flashlight,heck I've actually needed them.

MrSardonicus
February 23, 2009, 03:51 PM
I carry 7 +1, 1 extra mag, and a .22magnum 2-shot derringer for my BUG. Poker is still a dangerous game 'round these parts.

Deet
February 23, 2009, 05:26 PM
Mag in gun loaded with JHP, spare mag loaded with FMJ. When hunting 4 speedlaoders for my revolver.

mskdgunman
February 23, 2009, 05:43 PM
On duty (LEO) Glock 21 SF and three spare mags. Off duty, Glock 30 w/one spare or a Kel-tec P-32 w/one spare. There are also usually at least two knives someplace on my person.

11bravo_2papa
February 23, 2009, 05:49 PM
6+1, spare mag in my pocket and 1 in the center counsole

seaville
February 23, 2009, 10:07 PM
1 pocket pistol and one extra mag, always carry a pocket knife, keep a .45 and extra mag in the truck. Also keep extra ammo in truck usually 4 or 5 boxes. When I had a standard cab truck I carried an AK Hi-cap behind the seat. I drive an extended cab now, have'nt figured where to hide the AK.

Crankylove
February 24, 2009, 12:58 AM
6+1 in my .45, about half the time 1 extra 6 round mag in my pocket. I carry the extra mag more for a feeding issue/ammo problem, than for the extra ammo. Also carry a 2" folding pocket knife, does it count as a backup weapon?

The Great Mahoo
February 24, 2009, 09:17 AM
6+1 in my .45, about half the time 1 extra 6 round mag in my pocket. I carry the extra mag more for a feeding issue/ammo problem, than for the extra ammo. Also carry a 2" folding pocket knife, does it count as a backup weapon? I think it is a good idea to carry a second mag to clear malfunctions. I just don't do it because the mags for my gun (Glock 36) are too thick for my liking in a pocket, and I haven't gotten around to a nice, concealable belt holder yet. I have a 2-mag OWB one, but am looking for an IWB (preferably tuckable).

cerberus65
February 24, 2009, 09:43 AM
The guns I carry most are either 6+1 or 8+1 and I carry an extra mag. Although, that's really more for a spare mag than for the extra capacity. I've carried my 5 shot j-frame without a speedloader and not felt hopelessly undergunned. I've never carried more than one gun.

I know, I know, if zombies attack I'm toast. :-)

rantingredneck
February 24, 2009, 09:44 AM
One gun plus 1 or 2 reloads (mags or speedstrips depending).

On occasion one main carry gun with my LCP in my offside pocket. No reloads for either.

All my handguns save the LCP are either .45ACP single stack or .357 wheelguns. Most I have actually in the gun is 8+1.

ElectricHellfire
February 25, 2009, 06:38 PM
Just one gun (Glock 26). If I am just around town then just whats in the gun. Trip of some sort then maybe an extra mag or two.

TLeo
February 25, 2009, 07:35 PM
Most times I am carrying my Glock 30SF ..10+1.. when off duty and no extra mags. Sometimes will use my PPK with extra mag in a pocket. On duty (LEO) we carry glock 21 with two extra mags on belts but lots of guys have a couiple extras stashed in the car somewhere they can get to.

NavyLT
February 25, 2009, 07:49 PM
Open carry. One gun loaded with 10 +1 .45acp's. No spare mags or ammo. No flashlight. No handcuffs. No ASP. No Mace or OC. No rape whistle. Not even a cell phone.

mike21603
February 25, 2009, 08:38 PM
i always carry a spare mag, knife and if its going to get dark while i'm out surefire G2. i'd rather have it all and not need it. then not have something and need it.

hercules
February 26, 2009, 08:32 AM
95 % of the time I carry a G23, w/13+1 and another 13.

kayakersteve
February 26, 2009, 09:02 AM
Unless I'm am going somewhere off-limites to guns, that is!
http://www.kayakforfun.com/images/600_IMGP9121.JPG

Sparks2112
February 26, 2009, 10:10 AM
I feel like I might be slightly paranoid...

Currently I have on my person:

1. M&P9 (17+1)
2. 2 Reloads for the M&P (Brings me up to 52 of 9mm)
3. HK P7 psp (now I'm at 61 rounds of 9mm)
4. Surefire light
5. Knife

In fairness I'm going and looking at abandoned property later, in a REALLY bad neighborhood.

So, yeah...

Mike Irwin
February 26, 2009, 10:14 AM
I carry at least 7 handguns and 900 rounds of ammo on me at all times.

Being so burdened I of course stay away from any water deeper than 6 inches. :p

I rarely carry a reload or an extra handgun.

My primary carry gun is a five-shot S&W .38 although I have been known to carry an 8-shot HK P7 or a 6-shot S&W .357.

If I'm carrying in a shoulder holster, my preferred winter carry method, as opposed to a pocket holster, I will normally have a spare magazine or a speedloader or two with me.

My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...

The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat." :D

dabigguns357
February 26, 2009, 11:08 AM
i carry one gun,a .40 cal and 2 exrta mags
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/dabigguns357/DSCF2678.jpg

#18indycolts
February 26, 2009, 11:11 AM
1 pistol loaded, no spares

mavracer
February 26, 2009, 12:17 PM
I feel like I might be slightly paranoid...

what the heck are you afraid of you have two guns and all that ammo?

rotflmao

Sparks2112
February 26, 2009, 12:47 PM
what the heck are you afraid of you have two guns and all that ammo?

rotflmao

Actually not much at all :D

Seriously though, I'd only cary 1 spare for the M&P, but, the double mag holder came with the gun, so that's what I have. I think I'm going to get a light/mag holder combo from comp-tac next pay check.

As far as what I'm actually scared of. I walked into an abandoned house a few years ago that some drug dealer/addict types had apparantly started squatting in seeing as for some reason the electricity was still on. Bad feeling, major bad feeling.

Wagonman
February 26, 2009, 01:04 PM
LOL Mike---that's the way I feel about my snubby

The Great Mahoo
February 26, 2009, 01:09 PM

The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
:D
That's one of the best lines that I've heard in a long time.

outdoorman63
February 26, 2009, 03:03 PM
with my carry gun i carry 1 extra mag and usually have 1 in my vehicle too

mavracer
February 27, 2009, 06:57 AM

The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
ROTFLMAO what do I owe you for my new signature line.

evan1293
February 27, 2009, 07:03 AM
With my glock 23, one spare mag, no BUG.

With a 1911 (I don't carry one often), 2 spare mags, no BUG.

With my g27 in the pocket, no spare mags or other guns.

Stevie-Ray
February 27, 2009, 02:52 PM
Kimber Ultra primary with Detroit reload

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s66/GitchiManitou/100_0388.jpg?t=1235764244

VHinch
February 27, 2009, 03:20 PM
All day everyday-

Les Baer TRS IWB at 4:00
Spare Mag at 8:30
Blackberry at 3:00
S&W 637 left ankle
SOG Trident left front pocket
SOG Flash right front pocket
Wallet left rear pocket

BoulderTroll
February 27, 2009, 04:48 PM
Wow! I'd feel comfortable going to war with some of you guys! :D

I go back and forth between a few of my pistols. Here they are in order of preference:

S&W 340 PD
Glock 23/ 19
(and a SIG when I feel like it;))

As a rule I only carry one gun at a time (except on duty where the 340PD is my BUG). I never carry spare ammo off duty, even for the snubbie. I never carry a knife on my person.

I do often throw my Kifaru E&E bag in my truck when I leave the house that has some spare ammo for whatever gun I'm carrying, a knife, several flashlights, an impromptu medical kit, snivel gear, handcuffs, etc.

isanchez2008
February 27, 2009, 05:07 PM
I usually enjoy the company of my XD40 with ten rounds in it IWB strongside and an extra mag in a blackhawk mag holder. Gonna change to a different mag carrier. The blackhawk sticks out way to far. A flashlight and cellphone in left front pocket and keys and knife in right front. Mag is more for malfunction clearing. If my pistol jams after the first round(which it never has) I would rather drop a mag, rack the slide several times and insert the mag I know is on my belt. It would be a pain in the ass trying to find the one I dropped in the dirt probably at night. This would be done while trying to find cover or an exit if the situation permits.

NAVET74
February 28, 2009, 12:17 PM
I carry a Springfield 1911A1 with 1 8rd clip in gun 1 in the Tube, and 3 extra magazines. Because most of the gang bangers carry Hi-Cap guns or SKS or AK-47, and if they are on PCP or same type of drug, you can shoot them more then once and you won't stop them, unless you shoot them in the head.:cool::cool::cool::cool:

moccassins
February 28, 2009, 12:24 PM
I carry one loaded gun

mrt949
February 28, 2009, 04:51 PM
WITH my mouse guns .seecamp 32 and beretta 21a 22lr .2 extra mags of each .you might run into a big rat. :D with my m@p 40c. one full size 15 round.

Wagonman
February 28, 2009, 08:48 PM
I realized today I have been carrying 2 guns all week off duty----snubby has been in my parka pocket.

orionengnr
February 28, 2009, 10:50 PM
Just one reload.
At this moment, that comprises a full-moon clip of 45acp that supplements the six rounds of .45acp held within the S&W M-25 on my hip.

TraderJack
February 28, 2009, 11:41 PM
I rotate between 2 Colt Combat Commanders and one of Les Baer's C7s.
All extremely reliable and comfortable. 230 gr HST+P in the mags.

I used to carry just one extra mag but I didn't like the way it felt, so I had Tucker make up a 2 mag, canted, pouch for me.
Now it's the Tucker and 2 spares, with one of the Commander length guns in a Sparks VM II.
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f372/highdesert/VM2c.jpg

Plus a Spyderco Delica in SS and a surefire E2E. Feel naked without any of it.:cool:

LMTRocks
March 1, 2009, 04:07 AM
1 SA XD9 with 17rd of 124 +p+ or 147gr JHP Federal and two mags full of the same. 6PLED on my belt, and a fixed blade knife. sometimes the AR makes it with me into the car when I'm shopping for accessories for it. that's my BUG, or rather the gun I'll get to by means of my XD. Pretty soon the AR will stay in the safe most of the time and my Beretta CX4 9mm will be a HD gun and occasional trunk gun.

Helion
March 1, 2009, 09:36 AM
Para 745LDA 7+1 & 1 spare mag (Wilson combat mags)