PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever made or tried makin squirrel jerky

DiscoRacing
February 3, 2009, 07:41 AM
Got this idea the other day when I was finishing up the last of the deer jerky round this place.... wondering if anyone had heard of someone trying it or if they have tried it themselves.... Your thoughts on how it would turn out?? :confused:

Keltyke
February 3, 2009, 07:50 AM
Is this gun-related?

DiscoRacing
February 3, 2009, 07:52 AM
i was going to shoot the squirrel with the gun.

goodspeed(TPF)
February 3, 2009, 08:00 AM

Stop. You're killing me. Hahahaha. Darn doode. Now that's funny right there. I don't care who you are.:D

DiscoRacing
February 3, 2009, 08:02 AM
was there a specific forum for the recipes here?? i will move it... sorry im new.

OuTcAsT
February 3, 2009, 10:20 AM
Is this gun-related?

Good answer ! Sorry some of our members are just a bit rude at times,
You might post over in the section called "The Hunt"

You will find a lot of folk in that section who have all sorts of game recipes, and are glad to share. send me a piece if it's good!

DiscoRacing
February 3, 2009, 10:35 AM
tkx OuTcAsT

Bud Helms
February 3, 2009, 10:47 AM
We've had game recipe threads here in General Discussion before, but I guess they are better posted in the Hunt forum.

No harm done.

Off we go ............

hogdogs
February 3, 2009, 11:04 AM
The only tree rat jerky I had was SUPPOSED to be roasted squirrel but turned out as jerky on the bone!:o
Brent

12GaugeShuggoth
February 3, 2009, 11:05 AM
I had an uncle who made some jerky from a bunch of squirrels and rabbits he had taken. It was a long time ago, but from what I remember it was pretty good. He lived way out in the woods and was one of those people who could've cooked dirt and made it taste good though.

I would just use whatever basic jerky recipe I already had made up for venison jerky. I usually stick with Worcestershire, liquid smoke, vinegar (pepper vinegar for spicy jerky), and some simple dry seasonings. No harm in trying to make some for yourself, if you don't like it just feed it to the dog/cat. :D

goodspeed(TPF)
February 3, 2009, 11:09 AM
Everybody needs an uncle like that. :D

kyle663
February 3, 2009, 12:42 PM
since my mom passed a couple yrs ago all we use tree rats for is yote bait. unfortunatly she took most of her game recipies with her.

sureshots
February 3, 2009, 05:39 PM
I think there is something A little SQUIRRELLY about this thread.

Rich636
February 3, 2009, 05:55 PM
i was going to shoot the squirrel with the gun. Lol Disco the dryness of that reply cracked me up. I needed that! If you do make the jerky make sure and post the results, I'm trying to snare some at the moment.

.300 Weatherby Mag
February 3, 2009, 06:06 PM
I normally vaporize the squirrel so there is nothing to make jerky with:D

cornbush
February 3, 2009, 11:44 PM
the best part of makin squirrel jerky is gonna be gettin enough of em.:D

surfersami
February 4, 2009, 08:24 AM
If you use the right caliber with tracers, it's a one stop process!:D

FrankenMauser
February 4, 2009, 04:12 PM
I really don't know for sure, but I have eaten what was reported to be squirrel jerky; roadkill squirrel jerky. It wasn't terrible tasting, but I wouldn't actively pursue it on my own. Don't let me discourage you. It was, after all, roadkill.

(As for why I was willing to eat a meat of questionable origin, said to be roadkill... Well, that's a different subject that requires a bit of explanation.)

hogdogs
February 4, 2009, 04:15 PM
F-mauser, I got all day... Lemme hear this one then I may tell ya'll of "bar-b-q beast" and the bar-b-que collie samiches...:D:barf:
Brent

bwheasler
February 4, 2009, 08:30 PM
Any meat that can be ground,other than pork, can be made into jerky. Try High Mountian Jerky Kit available Wal Mart/ Gander Mountian. Basically grind meat, add seasoning, let sit in refrigerator about 48 hrs. Put in a cake pan and freeze. When froze pop out of pan, which will be a frozen rectangle of meat. Slice meat into1/4" strips and dry in smoker or even the oven at low temp. Enjoy.

hogdogs
February 4, 2009, 08:37 PM
But can it be made into REAL jerky? Not that chopped and formed stuff?
I say yes any meat can be sliced, marinated and dry cooked...
Brent

MrSardonicus
February 4, 2009, 08:50 PM
When I was a younger man, myself and friend of mine cut timber for a local saw mill. We stayed on the mountain all summer. We ate a lot of squirrel. One shot to the head with a good pellet gun or .22 and you are set.:cool: We stewed most of it,:barf: but I did smoke a couple dozen of 'em. The best way I found to do it is gut and skin 'em, then season to taste and smoke whole. If you smoke 'em long enough you can eat bones and all (it's a satisfying crunch-crunch:D). As I remember, we enjoyed it, and those whom I could get to try it enjoyed the squirrel-jerk too. I'm glad you brought it up, since I graduated from hillbilly to redneck I haven't been cooking much vermin, I think I'll get back to my roots and make some.:D

FrankenMauser
February 5, 2009, 02:02 AM
F-mauser, I got all day... Lemme hear this one then I may tell ya'll of "bar-b-q beast" and the bar-b-que collie samiches...

LOL, and *sigh* alright...

I got called in for a 'short' saturday work schedule while I was living in Florida. We got there at 7 am and were supposed to be done by 11 am, at the latest. It's the middle of August, 115 degrees, 99% humidity. As Hogdogs, and several others can tell you... That kind of weather, in the Florida sun, is hard to handle when you're being lazy. When you're working as hard as I was... it'll kill you.

As you may have guessed. It wasn't a short day. Around noon, we were finally told what was going on. It would require us to stay at work, busting our butts until midnight or later. The situation at hand didn't allow for any food runs, either.

About 6 pm, good ole Joe asks if I want some pizza. Joe was from the Achafalaya Basin in Louisiana, cleft palate and all; and known for carrying around a 1 lb block of cheese he would eat over the course of a work day. You had to love Joe... good guy.

(Note: I grew up as a kid that didn't like cold food, let alone anything 'gross'.)

Joe could see that I was starving, and losing energy quickly. He was the only one of the six people there, that thought ahead and brought food. I wanted it badly, but I knew Joe embraced roadkill as a viable option to store-bought meat. I asked what was on the pizza, but he would only say it was "6-hour cooked meat".

We agreed, that if I ate it... he HAD to tell me what it was.

That pizza was some greasy stuff... but it really hit the spot. I would actually consider eating it again, given the chance.

I asked him, "Joe, what did I just eat?" Joe replies, in his creole-speak accent, "Weh, you memba, I wen home lass weeg? Ah mah way back deh wahr a law o row-kill. Ah tink deh wah sum pawh-um, an coon, an skwul in deh."
I asked for clarification, since his accent is a bit tough to understand sometimes, "So, that was road-killed opossum, raccoon, and squirrel?"

"Ah coog'd et fah sigs ow-ah."

From then on, I generally wasn't scared of what Joe asked me to try, and rarelly asked what I was actually eating. (He usually told me after I tried it.) However... I always asked how long he cooked the meat. Anything over 8 hours meant it was beyond rigor, and into decomposition when he scraped it off the road. I ate everything from rat, to opossum, to raccoon, to truck vs deer leftovers, to... well, sometimes I didn't really know...

Joe really could take a crap sandwich and turn it into a gourmet meal, but you have to wonder about a guy when his favorite food is Squirrel Head Stew...

And that's the story behind me changing my view of road kill. I blame Joe.

Sorry if that was too long-winded for ya. I considered giving the short, quick version, but it just didn't seem right.

If you'll excuse me, I need to call that crazy creole.

12GaugeShuggoth
February 5, 2009, 10:07 AM
But can it be made into REAL jerky? Not that chopped and formed stuff?

Amen to that brother!

Rich636
February 6, 2009, 12:20 AM
Great story Franken!!! :D

goodspeed(TPF)
February 6, 2009, 12:24 AM
FrankenMauser: Thank you so much for that story. Well done. Well done indeed. :)

treg
February 6, 2009, 08:16 AM
Ten years ago when my kids were 8 and 5 squirrel pizza was not a big hit.

They did concede that the squirrel taco meat was O.K. a couple weeks ago.

If I get some this weekend I'll try some jerky - thanks for the idea. Heck most of the time thats how my baked or barbqued squirrel ends up anyhow.

Flavor it right and "Look what I did!"

DiscoRacing
February 10, 2009, 11:52 AM
FYI... for anyone interested the deboned squirrel meat is marinating for its dehydration tomorrow...

goodspeed(TPF)
February 10, 2009, 12:12 PM
yes, yes, yes. I want pics. MMMMMmmmm....... :D

DiscoRacing
February 10, 2009, 12:33 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=2332507&imageID=35232220&MyToken=898c0606-f2e0-4801-a8f1-99e2707d6b1e

goodspeed(TPF)
February 10, 2009, 12:38 PM
:D

DiscoRacing
February 10, 2009, 12:56 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=2332507&imageID=35232221&MyToken=d8ab633b-cbb8-4c00-af05-760c94741ab7

DiscoRacing
February 10, 2009, 12:58 PM
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.editAlbumPhoto&albumID=2332507&imageID=35232221&MyToken=d8ab633b-cbb8-4c00-af05-760c94741ab7

goodspeed(TPF)
February 10, 2009, 12:59 PM
We need an account for MyFace. Keep trying. :D

DiscoRacing
February 10, 2009, 01:00 PM
where can i load these pics so ya'all can see em

goodspeed(TPF)
February 10, 2009, 01:06 PM
When you go to post klikk on "manage attachments" Then browse to the pic. Then "upload. Then "close window. Then "submit reply". Good luck.

hogdogs
February 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
Little box with yellow sky and little mountain is the pic loader here. I use photobucket and post the bottom option which is a pic on the forums...
Brent

DiscoRacing
February 10, 2009, 01:12 PM
two pics on there now

goodspeed(TPF)
February 10, 2009, 01:24 PM
YAYY!! Works now bro. Nice pics BTW. :D

DiscoRacing
February 11, 2009, 07:53 AM
squirrel is in the dehydrator... if it tastes like s**t..I will send it to Goodspeed.

goodspeed(TPF)
February 11, 2009, 11:12 AM
squirrel is in the dehydrator... if it tastes like s**t..I will send it to Goodspeed.

Hahahaahahahaha. OMG that made me laugh. :D