PDA

View Full Version : Loaded and at the ready in your home?

NightSleeper
January 26, 2009, 02:47 PM
This has probably been asked before, but I'll ask again, cause I'm curious. Do you keep a gun loaded and at the ready at all times in your home? Or do you buy into that old brain-dead philosophy of keeping them unloaded and locked up because "safety" comes first?

I keep a loaded pistol with one in the chamber in both my gun safes for a quick grab scenerio. I personally think it would be unsafe not to do so.

What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone actually follow that old (and questionable) advice on leaving your unloaded gun in one room and ammo in another?

I've actually heard stories of people who keep them locked up in gun safes (which I do) but unloaded because it's "safer". I just don't buy into that. A loaded and ready to go gun locked securely in a gun safe is a threat to no one except a criminal who has stupidly choosen my home to break into.

What do you think?

gwnorth
January 26, 2009, 02:51 PM
There actually have been lots of posts along these lines.

Personally, I keep a .45acp (recently my FNP-45) loaded, chambered, decocked and sitting on the bedroom desk top or side table. Spare mags too - all loaded with silvertip JHPs. The only time my HD defense pistol is locked up is when I am not at home, otherwise, it is out and handy.

Brian Pfleuger
January 26, 2009, 02:55 PM
Loaded and ready. Either on my side or in a Gunvault by the bedside.

Jkwas
January 26, 2009, 03:04 PM
Unless they are in "deep storage", all my guns are hot.

ttman
January 26, 2009, 03:13 PM
I keep it handy but not 1 in chamber. now if u r at my door and are a complete stranger / someone I did NOT call to come. then 1 will go into the chamber at this point.

Wildalaska
January 26, 2009, 03:20 PM
When I get home, I replace the sandbags at the door, and make sure the belt fed is charged in the entry way strong point. I then make sure each of the 27 loaded guns I have in various strong points are loaded and ready, including my toilet tank pistol and my Glock on a rope.. I then take off my carry pistol, my quad mag pouch, my BUG, my secondary BUG and my body armour, and get into my Hello Kitty jammies which are Kevlar reinforced. I duct tape my seecamp to the back of my neck in case SWMBO gets frisky, put my carry gun back on with the quad mag pouch, do a quick inspection of the tinfoil lining in the house, then enter the strong room where SWMBO and I relax and watch TV (with the sound off so we can here intruders)

WildwhatawonderfullifeAlaska ™

alistaire
January 26, 2009, 03:23 PM
When I get home, I replace the sandbags at the door, and make sure the belt fed is charged in the entry way strong point. I then make sure each of the 27 loaded guns I have in various strong points are loaded and ready, including my toilet tank pistol and my Glock on a rope.. I then take off my carry pistol, my quad mag pouch, my BUG, my secondary BUG and my body armour, and get into my Hello Kitty jammies which are Kevlar reinforced. I duct tape my seecamp to the back of my neck in case SWMBO gets frisky, put my carry gun back on with the quad mag pouch, do a quick inspection of the tinfoil lining in the house, then enter the strong room where SWMBNO and I relax and watch TV (with the sound off so we can here intruders)

WildwhatawonderfullifeAlaska ™

So your house is an 'unarmed victim zone'? :-)

NightSleeper
January 26, 2009, 03:29 PM
Wildalaska - that response was over the top .... :D :D

thanks for the laugh!!

oldkim
January 26, 2009, 03:30 PM
I guess it all depends on who you are talking about. Meaning, where they are in life. I mean, I'm single, no kids. I have all mine loaded and ready to go. All mags and guns are loaded. No sense in a self defense situation to search for a loaded gun - especially if the ammo is seperated in another room.

If you have kids and depending on your home surroundings, if you have a safe - it may be a different story. Not everyone has the money for a walk in safe in their bedroom. I'm sure most are in their garage or basement - just because the weight of the darn things.

I just see no use for an empty magazine or unloaded gun. I guess I have a military mindset - locked and loaded - ready to go!

Do what makes you comfortable and safe for you and your particular situation. If you have kids, make sure they can't get to them. Heck, we were all kids - remember getting into your dad's playboys no matter where he hid them :)

Kids are smart - a lot smarter than we were. Technology has given them the edge. So, look at your situation and what's comfortable for you and your family.

Creature
January 26, 2009, 03:41 PM
then enter the strong room where SWMBNO and I relax and watch TV

SWMBNO....she who must be NOT obeyed? I thought it was you who wore the dress in your family?

tblt44
January 26, 2009, 03:44 PM
I keep my P95 loaded with 15+1 rounds + 1 mag of federal HST,I also keep my CW9 loaded w/7 +1 with HST,I also keep my 38 loaded w/5 rounds of gold dot short barrel and I keep my LCP 3 full mags (6) none in the pipe of 102 gr Golden saber.

http://s520.photobucket.com/albums/w328/tblt44/?action=view&current=100_0479.jpg

Dustin0
January 26, 2009, 03:49 PM
I keep my 45 cocked and locked in the night stand. All the guns in the range bag and safe are unloaded.

The Great Mahoo
January 26, 2009, 03:52 PM
I have a quick-access safe in my closet that houses atleast 1 gun at all times. My carry guns are kept in there, along with a few spare mags/loaders when they are not on me. Chambers are usually empty until I strap it on.

rshanneck2002
January 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
where i live we have had a heck of alot home invasions lately,mostly at apt complexes,needless to say i dont answer the door anymore without at least my .380 most of the time .40. way to many crackpots out here today posing as your local phone guy etc. i am also amazed at how many ederly people who have been ransacked the last few yrs.what made me finally go concealed was we had an ederly couple killed also their 62 yr old daughter who lived next door over roughly $160.00, done buy 3 guys belonging to the aryan brotherhood when the arrests were made along with 2 dumbass teenage chicks,all are in prison. this is basically in a rural area about 1 mile from where i live., this crap all being fueled by crack and meth. so yes i keep my stuff cocked and locked thank you very much!

azredhawk44
January 26, 2009, 03:57 PM
I've read that Elmer Keith kept every gun in his safe loaded. On purpose.

His philosophy was that a gun better darn well be treated as loaded no matter what, so it just makes more sense to keep it loaded. Makes the owner diligent about who has access to a loaded gun, and makes the person who has access diligent about being safe at all times.

All my handguns in my safe are loaded, too, after reading that... except the cap and ball revolver. Safe is locked unless I deliberately want into it for some reason or other.

One handgun is either on my hip or the desk/coffee table next to me when at home or out and about.

rcinma
January 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
When I am home alone, my carry gun (Beretta 9000s) goes on the bedside table next to the Surefire and the keys to the gun cabinet in the closet (2 steps from the bed) where the 12-gauge and the other guns are stored unloaded (but with plenty of loaded mags handy).

When my daughter sleeps over (joint custody) the carry gun goes into the locked cabinet (loaded) and the Surefire and keys stay on the bedside table.

Kreyzhorse
January 26, 2009, 04:01 PM
I have no kids and mine are loaded and ready.

#18indycolts
January 26, 2009, 04:08 PM
quote:Or do you buy into that old brain-dead philosophy of keeping them unloaded.

If someone had kids running around, and they chose to keep their guns that way, I wouldn't call it a brain dead whatever you said.

NightSleeper
January 26, 2009, 04:21 PM
#18IndyColts -- Well said. And I should have said in my first post that no, my wife and I have no children. Obviously children in the home change the situation. However, as I said in my original post, I keep my guns, loaded or otherwise, locked in the safe at all times.

Keltyke
January 26, 2009, 04:24 PM
I have three locked and loaded within easy reach upstairs and downstairs. Only my wife and I in the house...

Wildalaska
January 26, 2009, 04:35 PM
SWMBNO....she who must be NOT obeyed? I thought it was you who wore the dress in your family?

Fixed it....I wear the dress

WildpucewithgreensequinsAlaska ™

JTMcC
January 26, 2009, 04:36 PM
I've got a 4 and a 7 year old in the house. They know not to deal with my firearms unless I'm there. Plus, they are short so it's not difficult to keep loaded heaters in places they can't reach.
Mine are all loaded, dogs from neighboring houses sometimes come over in a beligerant manner, I live deep in lion country and lion sign is common on my property, a tweaker murdered a woman less than 2 miles from my rural house a few years ago, there is a long list of reasons why we have loaded firearms, we shoot several rattlesnakes in the yard each year.
No tin foil needed, no paranoia, just ready for the things that commonly occur around here, and those that are more uncommon too. I well remember as a kid, my Dad probably saving the family (him, Mom and 3 boys) because he had an old govenment model stuck in his belt.
You can keep them loaded and handy in a very safe manner. And that's what we do.

JTMcC.

NAKing
January 26, 2009, 04:42 PM
My 1911 is carried condition 1. My Blackhawk is in an office drawer with six in the wheel. When I'm not home, I'm carrying the 1911 and the Blackhawk is locked up. Then again, I have no children.

jaydubya
January 26, 2009, 04:48 PM
Except when the grandkids come, there are four handguns in various places in the house, all ready to fire.

Wild, you are something else! At this time of year in Anchorage, you and Sarah must have nothing to do but explore the internet and procreate. And perhaps in your case, sip a snifter or ten. I've heard Alaskans do that.

Incidentally, my orchids have fourteen stout canes, each bearing dozens of buds. Many are open already. I emailed this to my sister in the Puget Sound area and my daughter in Toronto. My sister got rather surly, but my daughter was somewhat more respectful. Maybe I shouldn't have ended my emails to them with "Nyah Nyah."

Cordially, Jack

csmsss
January 26, 2009, 04:56 PM
I would never tell anyone, online or elsewhere, where the firearms may or may not be kept in my home.

NAKing
January 26, 2009, 05:00 PM
I would never tell anyone, online or elsewhere, where the firearms may or may not be kept in my home.

Perhaps some of us just enjoy the fine art of (dis)information. ;)

TimNelson
January 26, 2009, 05:10 PM
I keep mine loaded by the bed. The only gun thats not loaded is my .22 but I dont think I will be using that for any kind of defense. I am married with no kids and at some point I imagine I may change the way I deal with my guns but for now they stay loaded and ready to use.

FyredUp
January 26, 2009, 05:19 PM
Magazines loaded for everything. Semi-auto pistols have a loaded magazine in them, none in the chamber. Locked in my gun safe until I go to bed then I have one of the semi-autos in the night stand.

Yep, I have changed my stance on that and have one by me at night.

NightSleeper
January 26, 2009, 05:24 PM
Fyredup - hey, a fellow Wisconsinite! How's the winter treating you?

What do think of our chances of getting CC in this state in the next few years? Slim or none? ;)

dabigguns357
January 26, 2009, 05:27 PM
As i have posted before also,i keep one on me at all times.I have 2 1/2 kids that range from 10,16 months and one on the way.I have but one main rule,no one but my wife and i go our bedroom.If the kids have a problem then we go to them they don't come to us.Here is a question for ya,why run to get the gun when you can dispatch the problem from where you stand or sit.

I'll say it again,it's better to have a gun on your hip than one to your head.

zxcvbob
January 26, 2009, 06:07 PM
I keep one revolver loaded and ready in its hidy-hole. I have at least one loaded magazine for each of my pistols, but generally not stored together. I don't keep any rifles loaded -- not yet anyway.

I may start carrying a loaded P3AT at home just to get used to carrying. I don't have a permit yet, but that's on my todo list for this spring.

Radioman
January 26, 2009, 08:58 PM
Well for me its a simple answer.

An unloaded gun is just a club. :eek:

If I wanted a club I could have saved a lot of money and time at the range and just went for a big brand name like Louisville Slugger rather than the MUCH more expensive names like S&W, Mossberg, DMPS, Ruger, Winchester, Federal, Fiocchi, Black Hills, Hornady, and CCI

:cool:

Crankylove
January 26, 2009, 09:02 PM
When I take my pistol off for the night, it goes within arms reach by the bed(no kids), and there is usually a .45 and a .357 with a full mag/cylinder in the gun cabinet along with my 20 gauge with 4 in the mag.

danweasel
January 26, 2009, 10:05 PM
I have an XD and a mossberg with rounds in them. I keep 'em at conditon yellow because my kids can't rack the slide but they damn sure can pull a trigger. I figure someone bashing my door down should give me the forewaring to go hot. And if not, well, I've been a lucky guy so far... I also have a taurus 9mm in my computer desk that might have a 50/50 shot at getting a shot off before it jams and/or explodes. Man, I hate that piece of @#$%.

orionengnr
January 26, 2009, 10:39 PM
Well, good in theory. But my tinfoil hat just doesn't fit that tight, so let me just say...

If you choose to visit my abode, I may or may not have several dogs that may or may not announce your arrival. I may or may not be carrying a .357 Mag or .45acp/.45 LC which may or may not be loaded. :rolleyes: I may or may not have an 870 standing by, which may or may not be loaded with 00 buck, or maybe slugs (I may or may not remember which).

Are we clear?

JohnPaul
January 26, 2009, 10:52 PM
Rem 870 Super Mag Rdy to go
.357 Mag ready to go
92FS and SR9 rdy with extr mags
Judge loaded with slugs rdy to go....
...a few mouse guns around as well

Socrates
January 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
I've been sleeping on a 454 Linebaugh Seville for about 25 years.
http://i45.invalid-sanitized.localhost/albums/f99/Socrates28/seville%207%202006/Sevillebarrelsideshotcopy.jpg

Blued guns, since they rust, don't make good pillows, when it's hot and tropical. My seville now resides in someone in Texas' holster, who didn't want to wait for a Linebaugh, and figures they maybe worth something, when he dies.

Since then, this is my new pillow:
http://i45.invalid-sanitized.localhost/albums/f99/Socrates28/Model%2083%20FA%20475/DSC_0059FA83frontshotbulletscylinde.jpg

Being all 17-4 stainless, she tends to not need as much oil to get on the sheets, and pillow case, and, I certainly would not like someone shooting her at me...

Within easy reach:
http://burnfan0.tripod.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://burnfan0.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nagants4.jpg&target=tlx_new
http://burnfan0.tripod.com/imagelib/sitebuilder/misc/show_image.html?linkedwidth=actual&linkpath=http://burnfan0.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/nagants5.jpg&target=tlx_new

I'm not sure which hits harder: .475 400 grain XTP at a legit 1350, or 182 grains of ball, in .308, @ about 2700 fps
fps?

Any guesses?

KyJim
January 26, 2009, 10:54 PM
Or do you buy into that old brain-dead philosophy of keeping them unloaded and locked up because "safety" comes first?

If you wanted real answers, you wouldn't ask questions like these. All you want is validation that your opinion is the only opinion worth having.

When my kids were young, I kept my guns locked, though still reasonably available. I cannot imagine the horror I would have felt if one of my kids got hold of a gun before they were old enough to learn some responsibility. The kids are older now and I keep loaded guns unlocked in a couple of places in the house.

Simply because someone places a different value on the safety of their young children than you do (if you have kids), that doesn't make them brain dead. It makes them responsible gun owners.

Rich Miranda
January 26, 2009, 11:39 PM
Of three handguns total, I keep two loaded and ready to go.

My Ruger P90 is my primary HD gun. It's got 8 rounds of .45 and a second mag of 7 more. This resides in a quick-access safe and is accessible within about 5 seconds or so. I do NOT keep a round chambered because I'm afraid I'll forget to close the safe one day and my kids will gain access while a round is chambered. Of course I don't want them to gain access with even an unloaded gun but this is one more step before the gun will fire and I think it's worth doing this way. In a real HD situation, it takes just a second or two more to chamber a round and release the safety.

The other gun is kept loaded in a locked metal clamshell case, accessible within about 30 seconds.

jephthai
January 26, 2009, 11:53 PM
Have kids... loaded... quick-access safe...

(don't want to fumble the speed loader with squinty eyes)

G-man 26
January 27, 2009, 02:07 AM
Loaded. Only one of the many. I keep in in a very safe place so the kids can't get at it, my back pocket. Keep a few Louieville's around the house as well. The kids do get into those.:eek: I need to teach them "bat" safety.:D

I don't think having a loaded gun in the house with kids is a good idea. That is to say, laying around and loaded. Fairly safe statement, but worth mentioning none the less.

FyredUp
January 27, 2009, 02:34 AM
NightSleeper

Fyredup - hey, a fellow Wisconsinite! How's the winter treating you?

What do think of our chances of getting CC in this state in the next few years? Slim or none?

I am so sick of this winter I could just about vomit. It is darn near impossible to get back to my impromptu range because of the deep snow. And when I can get back there it has been too darn cold to be there long!! But as usual being from Wisconsin in 4 or 5 months I will be complaining it is too hot.:D

CC in Wisconsin? Not unless we get a new governor because he is going to continue to veto this bill every time it gets to him. The only question for me is which pistol exactly and what holster because i will carry.

zxcvbob
January 27, 2009, 02:48 AM
CC in Wisconsin? Not unless we get a new governor because he is going to continue to veto this bill every time it gets to him.

When is your legislature gonna grow a pair and override his veto? (I'd pay a dollar to see his reaction to that)

Ridgerunner665
January 27, 2009, 04:20 AM
If I'm awake...my 1911 is on my side, cocked & locked.
If I'm asleep...my 1911 is on the nightstand, cocked & locked.

We have 2 kids...one is 16 and has several guns of his own, the other is 2 and for that reason the bedroom door is closed at night when we are sleeping. There are a few other loaded guns stashed around the house...but they are out of reach (and out of sight)

You know the old saying...Pray for peace, prepare for war.

NightSleeper
January 27, 2009, 04:51 AM
When is your legislature gonna grow a pair and override his veto?

Evidently when hell freezes over ... :(

Gman -
I don't think having a loaded gun in the house with kids is a good idea. That is to say, laying around and loaded. Fairly safe statement, but worth mentioning none the less.

+1 to that. Even though I don't have kids, mine are locked in the safes at all times. Gun safes aren't just there to keep people safe from guns, they also keep guns safe from people.

treo
January 27, 2009, 02:40 PM
I’m solidly in the carry it all the time camp if the goblins kick in your door and you’re in the living room a gun in the safe is useless. I keep my alternate carry loaded in the safe at all times for a last ditch defense and My wife’s gun is always loaded, as is her BUG

grymster2007
January 27, 2009, 02:51 PM
I keep them loaded at various locations about the house. I don't own a safe big enough for the few guns I have. Don't need one. Don't have much in the way of company (I wonder if my grim personality has anything to do with this fact? :)). If young people will be coming, I scoop most of the guns up and lock them in a bedroom. I'll keep one or two left in their hiding place.

Hard Ball
January 27, 2009, 04:43 PM
"Do you keep a gun loaded and at the ready at all times in your home?"

OF COURSE I DO.

Wildalaska
January 27, 2009, 04:47 PM
goblins

We don't do night of the living dead scenarios here:rolleyes:

WildmaybeyoumeantarmedcriminalsAlaska ™

badlander
January 27, 2009, 05:28 PM
Children and guns don't mix! I dont allow children in my house.

Pilot
January 27, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have no children in the house. My home defense firearms are loaded and ready.

Creature
January 27, 2009, 07:08 PM
My home defenses are locked and loaded BECAUSE I have a child in the house.

ElectricHellfire
January 27, 2009, 07:31 PM
Glock 21, Glock 26 and Mossberg 500 all loaded. Where they are is my secret.

bigghoss
January 27, 2009, 08:15 PM
I have a snub-nose in my pocket right now and normally I have my glock 17 with my streamlight tlr1 out. I do make sure to put everything away in the safe anytime I leave. but I live alone with no kids so it's not a problem.

ipscchef
January 27, 2009, 11:34 PM
Times sure are different.
On my Eighth birthday in 1964 My folks gave me a Savage Stevens .22 bolt whick I still have. It was kept in my closet with a box or so of shorts that I bought with my paper route money. I had a few friends who had .22's and the like kept the same way. The reason that this was safe is that we were taught the reponsibility of owning a firearm and knew when and how they were to be used. None of us kids would ever consider doing anything irresponsible with them and we managed not to shoot ourselves or anyone else. It was never considered a dangerous situation because it was not a dangerous situation.
I am not saying that this is the case now, I am just telling how it was in my family and neighborhood when I was young.

gollbladder13
January 28, 2009, 12:12 AM
Seems like keeping a gun unloaded by your bed is like having a car without gas. It looks great in the driveway, but can't get you to work in the morning...

Jasper616
January 28, 2009, 12:59 AM
and get into my Hello Kitty jammies which are Kevlar reinforced

Where can I buy me a set of these?

NWPilgrim
January 28, 2009, 02:21 AM
Had kids around, now grown, but visiting grandbaby.

Then and now all defensive guns are loaded, not chambered. AR15s, one of the AKs, both M1 Garands, a few Glocks, a shotgun, a P3AT, Hi-Powers, and a .38 revolver. Misc. guns are not loaded.

Guns are in rooms kids have no business being in without adult supervision. When kids were old enough to be unsupervised they had already been well drilled on firearm safety. I grew up with full access to all guns and ammo at home from the age of six,and that is how I raised my kids. No problems in my youth, or the 20+ years we had kids at home.

I had not heard that about Elmer Keith, but that is kind of my philosophy. Anyone with access to my guns will be trained to treat them as loaded and they know most are loaded all the time. An unloaded gun is pretty useless if needed.

Butterbean
January 28, 2009, 03:59 PM
NO kids, so S&W .40 sigma 15 rd. and a 642 in the bedroom. In other parts of house hidden are a colt .38 spl,
keltec .40 SUB2K with 30 rd. mag. Kahr CW40, .22lr derringer, rohm 22short revolver all loaded and ready.

aeonrevolution
January 28, 2009, 04:19 PM
I keep my 12 gauge Benelli with 6 shells on the little buttstock holder. In my opinion thats loaded and ready to go since it takes me about 2 seconds to load a shell in.

I also keep my Ruger P90 without a magazine in it, but a loaded magazine right next to it.

These are my only two defensive weapons and they stay in my gun safe which always has the door closed, but not locked (unless I'm not home).

armsmaster270
January 28, 2009, 04:25 PM
From when I get up til I go to bed I have a Sig 226 .357Sig on my hip. When I go to bed It goes on the headboard. No kids in the house All others in the Safe
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff207/armsmaster270/SafeSharon.jpg

Stevie-Ray
January 28, 2009, 06:23 PM
.45 ACP, cocked and locked on my side until I go to bed, then it's next to me.

Times sure are different.
On my Eighth birthday in 1964 My folks gave me a Savage Stevens .22 bolt whick I still have.ipscchef, Would that be a model 34?

doh_312
January 28, 2009, 07:55 PM
.45 ACP ready for business on me or next to the bed when I'm in it. A .40 is in the drawer under the bed. Two shotguns in the closet(One for me one for the woman), snap cap chambered, full magazines, two slugs and more buckshot on the stock. Plenty of flash lights around as well. Browning hunting LED sits next to the .45, LED Maglite against the wall next to the 2 million candle flood light. Not that I plan on using it, I just store it there. No kids yet but when I do have some, I'll start early and often with gun safety. My guns will probably stay as is because that is how I protect my family and home.

45Marlin carbine
January 28, 2009, 08:39 PM
I keep a .32acp Beretta pocketed most all the time. a Makarov under a book at front door and a .22Mag revolver hidden near a 12ga Mag shotty at back. all loaded.

cheetah44
January 29, 2009, 06:43 AM
You bet. When I'm not home everything is locked in the safe. When I'm away from home a Berreta 22 is usually in my pocket. The first thing I do when I go get home is unlock the safe. That's the first thing I do in the morning as well. There one could find my Ithica 37 loaded with buchshot in the magazine only, the mini 14 with a 20 round magazine loaded with frangible bullets, none in the chamber, the 44 Mag. loaded, the 40 Glock 35 loaded with 16 rounds, the 1911 loaded with 9 rounds. The Glock with tactical light goes to bed with me every night. The wife knows how to shoot every one of them as well. Spare magazines are loaded and hanging on the safe door and walls ready to go. The cell phone sits next to the Glock every night.

Admittedly, it's easier for me since my kid is grown and out of the house. Keeping your defensive weapons unloaded is senseless, and keeping the ammunition in a separate location is insane.

Sound like paranoia? Well in the last two years, within 20 miles and sometimes closer, we've had at least a dozen home invasions, wherein at least 5 people have been killed. In one instance an entire family save the father, who wasn't home, perished.

I'll go with paranoia and preparedness!!!

Don P
January 29, 2009, 08:49 AM
The tin foil fixtures are on auto-adujust mode:p. They will sense all possible intruders;). If YOU should manage to get by my tin foil apperatis YOU will find out what is where and how ready we is:eek:.
Wild I got to hand it to ya GREAT RESPONCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Recon7
January 29, 2009, 03:34 PM
Have kids... loaded... quick-access safe...

ditto

This shoulda been a poll

1) have kids gun loaded not in a safe
2) no kids gun loaded not in a safe
3) have kids gun loaded in a safe
4) no kids gun loaded in a safe
5) have kids gun unloaded
6) no kids gun unloaded
7) Glocks rule
8) Glocks suck

cbgixxer
January 29, 2009, 05:11 PM
there are no children in my home, and my fiance knows how to handle firearms, need I say more?

lomaxanderson
January 29, 2009, 06:50 PM
...loaded ...all but the scoped 22...here and there

#18indycolts
January 30, 2009, 10:39 AM
quote:All others in the Safe

didn't think it was good to keep people in the safe. How often does she get to come out?:)

JasonG
January 30, 2009, 12:10 PM
Condition 1 Always !
Bedroom shotgun stays loaded but not chambered, safety off, no kids.
Wildalaska, glad I bought that plastic keyboard cover. I've destroyed a few reading your posts!
Somebody start a thread "Pics of Kevlar Hellow Kitty PJ's"

cbgixxer
January 30, 2009, 12:30 PM
^^ LOL Colts

boxing21
February 2, 2009, 11:10 PM
All my weapons are always "hot". In the unlikely event of a home invasion....it will happen FAST. If I'm sitting in my living room, a safe full of the latest and greatest weapons will be uselss. I'm armed 24/7.

wjh2657
February 3, 2009, 12:19 AM
EDC on me all day. Shotgun in bedside BackUp rack always. At night the EDC (revolver) goes into between the mattress type holster at bedside right behind shotgun. Revolver loaded and shotgun in "cruiser" mode. No kids at home anymore.

When grandkids come home, shotgun goes into attic and EDC stays in my pocket until they leave.

G-man 26
February 4, 2009, 02:24 AM
Quote:
Children and guns don't mix! I dont allow children in my house.

Thats why Grandpa never let us in! LOL.:D

Just for consideration of all... If there are kids in the house, what about the loaded gun on your person, and backup magazines in the locations you would put a bug? Less dangerous, and maybe a good compromise? Just a thought.

Nnobby45
February 4, 2009, 03:15 AM
Do you keep a gun loaded and at the ready at all times in your home? Or do you buy into that old brain-dead philosophy of keeping them unloaded and locked up because "safety" comes first?

I buy into the reality that some of the home invasions that have occurred in my community happened quickly and by force, and anything but a gun ready to go, and close enough to reach, would be of little use. Just like home invasions everywhere.

If I had to be the intended victim of such unsavory folks, I hope they're the "con their way in" type as opposed to the door crashers:D