PDA

View Full Version : fired my uberti 1858 remington for the first time!

tiberius10721
January 19, 2009, 11:01 PM
what a thrill i bought this gun at midway on sale for 249.00 .accurate as any modern day firearm i have and puts gigantic round holes in old abandoned vehicles.used corn meal between powder and ball and that worked out fine.fired gun about 20 shots before it got pretty dirty.im gonna definately by more black powder pistols!

gmatov
January 20, 2009, 02:37 AM
Oh, come now.

You put some less than 1/2 inch holes into some sheetmetal. No big deal. You could have bought a Raven and made holes.

Why would you use cornmeal instead of blackpowder? You could jhave put about 40 grains of BP behind the ball and really have had some fun.

Pipsqueak loads are not all that exciting. You CAN get near 45 grains in there if you try. AND, it will hold it.

Cheers,

George

Raider2000
January 20, 2009, 05:31 AM
Welcome to the Forums tiberius10721 & congratulations on your initiation to the world of Black Powder Firearms.

Yes they are fun & indeed very accurate weapons & I commend you for using a more accurate reduced load on your virgin voyage instead of the more potent but less accurate full house loads, once you have more time with your new friend you can tailor the loads to suit your needs including some very potent hunting loads.

Have fun & be safe.

gmatov:
In a Remington copy you can get up to 42gr. FFFG & a .457 Ball loaded with just a touch of Crisco over the chambers for lube & chain fire prevention & you can get up to 35gr. FFFG with a 200-220gr. Lee conical loaded, but those loads would not be the most accurate & can foul up the weapon up more quickly than the lighter more accurate target loads & for a new person to the art more accurate is sometimes more appealing than more BOOM & smoke.

Hawg
January 20, 2009, 06:50 AM
Mine are plenty accurate with 35 grs.

long rider
January 20, 2009, 10:52 AM
Tiberius good for you, if you are happy with your
new smoke wagon, then keep on smoking pard,
and take no notice of them killjoy words from
post 2, if you are happy and load and shoot safe
thats all you need, nice one pard.:D

Raider2000
January 20, 2009, 11:26 AM
HH, I agree my 2 '58's shoot Ball quite accuratly w/ 35gr. FFFG & conicals very well with just 30gr. FFFG but as you may agree many times a lesser charge is more accurate than a heavy hunting load.

madcratebuilder
January 20, 2009, 12:32 PM
Just wait till you shoot a Walker Colt with 60grs. I think it may contribute to global warming.

kirpi97
January 20, 2009, 01:02 PM
tiberius10721, welcome to the wonderful world of smoke, the true meaning of fresh air.:D

I see no honor lost in shooting 28-30 grains. Especially for the fists time. As you grow to know your revolver, you will find out what grain she works with best. We can give ranges, but your revolver will tell you what she likes.
You could jhave put about 40 grains of BP behind the ball
That is true. But what have gained by doing it? Proved you are man? I don't think so. Enjoying the experience is what matters most. Not how much testosterone you can pack behind a ball.
Just wait till you shoot a Walker Colt with 60grsThat will be a wonderful experience. And maybe if you save your monies you can afford to pay the price for a Walker. Before just throwing money into the world of BP revolvers, study the threads here. There is a lot of ideas about which revolver is the best. Let the experts here help you with your next purchase. This way you won't end up with six revolvers, two pistols, and a partridge in a pear tree. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Just keep telling yourself, "The foul smell of rotten eggs is not a bad thing." And then click your heel three times.

noelf2
January 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
What you reeeeealy need to do now is get a conversion cylinder (i.e. R&D) and reload BP cartridges! What a fun (and expensive) pass time this BP addiction is.

long rider
January 20, 2009, 01:16 PM
Just a X tip for you, you picked a good gun to
start you bp ex with, learn with the remmy you
can not go wrong with that, then you can go with the
open top models. You can make your owen lube and
cast your owen lead the list goes on there is no end
to all the fun in the bp world,+ the guys on this forum
are willing to help out with all your QS if you need help.:D

chwingnut
January 20, 2009, 03:09 PM
You are the second person beside me I have heard of using cornmeal. glad to hear it, I have been loading it with that for about 15 yrs after a really old timer told me about it.

long rider
January 20, 2009, 04:00 PM
CORNMEAL:eek: me too.:D

tiberius10721
January 20, 2009, 10:33 PM
some of my rounds went through the same holes at ten yards .with 30 grains of fff g an some cornmeal i had the balls loaded almost to top of cylinder seemed to work well.cool thing about the internet is u can read other peoples acounts of what they try an what works for them.i always think safety first.ive reloaded handgun ammunition for about five yrs now an havent had any screw ups yet just minor mistakes because i do my research thourougly on line and reading different reloading manuals.

madcratebuilder
January 21, 2009, 11:17 AM
Let the experts here help you with your next purchase. This way you won't end up with six revolvers, two pistols, and a partridge in a pear tree. And there is nothing wrong with that.

That's what I did wrong! Now I'm cursed with 35 revolvers and 4 pistols. I guess I'll never learn.:)

Hawg
January 21, 2009, 11:40 AM
Now I'm cursed with 35 revolvers and 4 pistols. I guess I'll never learn.

You need to get rid of them except for two of each one. Send the rest to me and the curse will be lifted. :D Except for the Rugers. You can keep that curse.:D:D

sundance44s
January 21, 2009, 11:49 AM
Cornmeal is fer eatin ...black powder is fer stuffin under yer balls ..:D

Hawg
January 21, 2009, 11:56 AM
Cornmeal is fer eatin ...black powder is fer stuffin under yer balls .

I agree with the cornmeal but wouldn't the bp get irritating and start to chafe after awhi......................Oh you meant............Never mind.:o:D

sundance44s
January 21, 2009, 12:01 PM
Hawg ..I guess that`s what the crisco is for ...cuts down on the chafeing ....:D

Hawg
January 21, 2009, 12:03 PM
Didn't think of that.:rolleyes::D

long rider
January 21, 2009, 07:13 PM
Yep and HH knows all about crisco round
the balls,:rolleyes: dont you.:eek::D

Hawg
January 22, 2009, 02:08 AM
See if I post a funny story again.:p

sundance44s
January 22, 2009, 09:11 AM
I guess if cornmeal works so well ...I`ll just turn my head if I see anyone loading that way ......but stay away from my GRITS ! :eek: