PDA

View Full Version : Mutton Tallow vs. Crisco

Spur0701
January 12, 2009, 06:45 PM
Was ordering some stuff from Dixie and ran across mutton tallow in 1 lb can for $3.50, was going to get a few cans to use in making some lube. What's the advantage of mutton tallow over crisco, is there really that big of a difference?

noelf2
January 12, 2009, 07:45 PM
There's a difference, but not enough to worry about IMHO. Beeswax and crisco will do the job well.

Pahoo
January 12, 2009, 07:49 PM
It has a higher grade of refined lanolin. You will find that most of the lubricant in bore butter is sheep tallow along with other animal fats. These are all organic as oppose to hydrocarbon. Another term that I have heard, is wool tallow. Just good quality of fat for muzzleloaders. Not entirely sure how it stands alone as a conical lube. I use to have a good recipe for as lube for patches, that also contained beeswax. Pig fat is another good tallow and you will find this as well, in bore butter. because it is an animal fat, it can get rancid but still retains it's properties.

Be Safe !!!

long rider
January 12, 2009, 08:49 PM
BEESWAX AND CRISCO.:cool::D

arcticap
January 12, 2009, 11:05 PM
You will find that most of the lubricant in bore butter is sheep tallow along with other animal fats. These are all organic as oppose to hydrocarbon.
Pahoo,
While Bore Butter claims to be all natural, I believe that it's main ingredient is mineral oil. While it may be of pharmaceutical quality and have medicinal properties as a laxative, it's still not sheep tallow. There may not even be enough sheep slaughtered in Maine or all of North America to make all of the Wonder Lube & Bore Butter consumed in this world each year.
There's said to be micronized paraffin in it too. ;)
Now Ballistol is supposed to smell like sheep, but doesn't have anything else in common with them AFAIK. Baaaaaaaaa! :D

gmatov
January 12, 2009, 11:20 PM
Pahoo,

There is no lanolin in sheep tallow. Lanolin is in the wool. Sheep and lamb fat is just that, FAT. Tastier, to me, as I love lamb, but still just fat. No more lubricity than beef or hog tallow.

And, all them fats are as much hydrocarbons as the stuff you get out of the ground. Fat is fat is fat.XX calories per gram.

Cheers,

George

noelf2
January 13, 2009, 09:49 PM
Like I said above, it's beeswax and crisco for me. I raise goats and I butcher goats sometimes as well. I've made tallow, and the difference between real mutton (goat/sheep) tallow and hog or beef tallow is consistency. Mutton tallow is much stiffer and when taken off the top of a cooled boiling pot, it will almost snap like a cracker. Hog and beef tallow is more flexible and will get soft and ooze with less heat than mutton tallow. Mutton tallow really works well, and I have some mutton tallow, beeswax, paraffin wax lube mix on hand, but I don't get any better shooting properties with it than good old beeswax and crisco. I think tallow was used for so many years because Crisco just wasn't around yet...;) Making tallow is not pleasant either :(

gmatov
January 20, 2009, 03:14 AM
Noel,

Yeah, if you take it off a "boiling pot", it is going to stink. If it is goat, it is going to stink. If it is fat put over a fire in a pan, it is going to smell good (goat might not, I don't know, we only eat young lamb, which is not an oxymoron, you can go to the srore and buy a leg of lamb that weighs 15 pounds, about half the weight that we consider barbeque weight for a whole lamb.

People also boil spare ribs to make them cook quicker on the grill. The house stinks from boiling pork. Bake that same rack and the house smells heavenly.

Rendering fat is about as complicated as frying bacon.

Fat is fat is fat, as far as BP goes.

Cheers,

George

gmatov
January 20, 2009, 03:23 AM
Noel,

What kind of goats? My kid wants to buy a couple for her kids, pygmy something or other, grow about 24" at the shoulder.

My grandkids need SOMEKIND of pets. Can the kids enjoy such animals?

I'd prefer to get them a dog. Problem is the dad would like a BIG dog. I don't want a BIG dog for a 3 and 5 year old. Little dogs can bite. Big dogs can tear your throat out. I don't like dogs. I don't like cats, either.

Cheers,

George

HiBC
January 20, 2009, 03:48 AM
If you make a little corral in the yard,goats make great babysitters.Put the children in the corral.The goats will stand outside the corral,and butt it if the kids try to get out.

noelf2
January 20, 2009, 01:32 PM
I have meat goats (boer mix) and plain old scrub goats (spanish probably). I have them to keep the woods cleared out of bad vines, ivy, and briers. My neighbor recently got some pygmy goats and they are small and cute. They got them for their grandchildren to play with. If you want a little petting zoo for kids, you need to get pygmies, and only females or wethers (castrated males)! The billies stink to high heaven and can be aggressive. I have a boer mix billy goat, and he's disgusting.

Also, you are right that fat is fat is fat. But boiled fat makes the cleanest tallow for lubrication. Don't confuse tallow with fat drippings from broiled/fried meat. When you boil fat for tallow (and let it set to cool), you get a pure tallow layer on the top, then other impure fats below it, then gelatin below that, and nasty water below that. The fat you render when broiling or frying has tallow mixed in with all of the other mess when it's cooled. the fat will not settle into layers like it does when boiled and slowly cooled. You will just have a layer of mixed fat. Rendering pure tallow is easy, just not pleasant. I boil it outside on the bbq.

noelf2
January 20, 2009, 01:43 PM
gmatov - another thing to consider is goats do their business anywhere and everywhere. You might want to consider getting alpacas. They pick one spot, and kids love them.

Keeping this thread on topic: '58 remis rock! Shoot well, shoot often.