PDA

View Full Version : Triple7/Powerbelts&Bore Butter

Smokey 92
January 7, 2009, 08:31 PM
Good evening to all. New here.
Can TC Bore Butter be used with Power Belts? and would bore butter help with the reported fouling that 777 pellets create? Thanks.

shortwave
January 7, 2009, 09:02 PM
Different opinions on shooting Powerbelts and bore butter. I use a very,very light buttered patch with them and yes it does seem to help with ease of cleaning fouling between shots.

Smokey 92
January 8, 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks shortwave.

Doyle
January 8, 2009, 08:35 AM
I like to use Bore Butter only as a preservative between shooting sessions. When actually shooting, I just use a spit patch then a dry patch between each shot. I use Hornady Low-Drag sabots and SST bullets and get really good accuracy.

Pahoo
January 8, 2009, 11:11 AM
I'm not clear on your application but on the Powerbelts that I have used, you don't need it because of the blastic on seal at the base. I use bore butter, liberally, between 5-shots groups, when seasoning my barrel. I also use bore butter patches when shooting PRB at our teaching sessions. After I have a seasoned barrel, or what I feel is a seasoned barrel, I recently went back to using good old #13 lightly on my patches. Whenever I load any pellets, it's with sabots and the bore butter seldom comes into play. In some cases, bore butter can add to the fouling.

You know, we all start with some good basics and develope what I call "Personal Techniques". There are minor things that I do that others do differently. Then there are things that others do, that I won't touch or teach.

Be Safe !!!

Smokey 92
January 8, 2009, 07:12 PM
For a number of years I've used a very light coating on the outside of the sabots, just because I thought it wouldn't hurt. No trouble with plastic fouling, but then again not doing a whole lot of shooting. Thought about trying power belts (never used them) but after reading some threads here I'll stick to the Hornady SST's. Wonderful information here, thanks to all for your help.

Pahoo
January 9, 2009, 12:29 PM
Smokey 92

There is one thing I forgot to mention; Depending on my shot-string in my hunters, or heavy loads, I place a bore button or wonder wad between the 777 and sabot. These are sold lubricated with bore butter or dry. I have punched them out in the past but lately I buy them because I get them pretty cheap. These work well with pellets as they reduce the crush. I have used power-belts before and the only "Real" problem I have with these and simular conicals, is the price.

Be Safe !!!

Smokey 92
January 9, 2009, 10:01 PM
Pahoo, good tip, thanks. When you refer to buttons, are those the 2.5" round patches treated with bore butter, then trimmed to a size close the base of the sabot?

arcticap
January 10, 2009, 03:27 AM
A Wonder Wad is made of hard, dense felt, it's about 1/8 of an inch thick and is packaged by bore size.

This is how plain dry Wonder Wads look:

http://www.rmcsports.com/drywad.jpg

http://rmcsports.com/rmcsports_cfmfiles/product.cfm?msection=1776

Smokey 92
January 10, 2009, 01:09 PM
arcticap, Perfect. Many Thanks.

Pahoo
January 10, 2009, 03:43 PM
Smokey 92

What arcticap said !!! The ones you mentioned, are "seasoning patches" I use those when seasoning a barrel. One will go a long way as I use them till they nearly go dry. Thanks arcticap !!

Be Safe !!!!

Smokey 92
January 11, 2009, 08:02 PM
Pahoo, really appreciate your and others, time to help me out. This is a great site.