PDA

View Full Version : Received an unbelievable gift today...

MontanaS
January 6, 2009, 07:56 PM
...that was completely unexpected. A senior adult friend of mine called me this morning and asked me to come over some time before I went home from work. When I stopped by his house he presented me with a Ruger Old Army stainless 44. He told me that he had not shot it in years, that his eyesight was so poor now that he never would and would rather I have it because he knew it would get some use, may even bring down a deer. Of course I was speechless. I told him he could get alot of money from it but he refused to sell it. It is a beautiful gun with some absolutely gorgeous custom engraving on various parts. The grips are custom also with ivory ovals set in them which contain a bald eagles head. I'll try to post some pics. But now where to find a nipple wrench. Standard wrench obviously will not work. If you have one of these do you have a favorite load?

simonkenton
January 6, 2009, 08:17 PM
You must be living right! The best cap and ball pistol on the market.
Congratulations!

4V50 Gary
January 6, 2009, 08:40 PM
Hind quarter to your buddy if you get a deer. Kudos to him.

jckeffer
January 6, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hindquarter my A$$ - he deserves the backstap it not the whole dear!:D

MontanaS
January 6, 2009, 09:54 PM
Here's a pic
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/Ulrich1/001-2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/Ulrich1/002.jpg

googabeest
January 6, 2009, 10:06 PM
Congrats, that thing is gorgeous! I think I'll make an extra effort to befriend the elderly:D

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
January 6, 2009, 10:35 PM
Really GREAT!! I tried to enhance the picture a little.
http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/prizzel/picastest_filtered.jpg

mykeal
January 6, 2009, 11:31 PM
ROA nipple wrenches are a bit scarce. Ruger Customer Service may be able to help: 603-865-2442.

They can occasionally be found at the internet suttlers: Midway, Dixie, Track of the Wolf.

However, in a pinch, a thin walled 1/4 inch drive deep well socket will work. I don't remember the socket size, but any good set will have it.

kirpi97
January 7, 2009, 12:30 AM
Living right??? You have made some impression on your friend. Regardless of the value of the ROA, your friendship means a lot to him and should be treasured like the gift he gave you.

Now if I can find a friend like that. Any takers out there?:D:D:D

madcratebuilder
January 7, 2009, 09:39 AM
It's your good Karma! Good living pays off. That is a beautiful pistol, I just bought a stainless ROA, but a plain Jane one.

45Marlin carbine
January 7, 2009, 09:43 AM
that's a very nice revolver. use the 1/4" drive socket that fits the nipples.

sundance44s
January 7, 2009, 10:03 AM
What a great friend you have ...( thats one nice lookin ROA )
I bought an extra set of stainless nipples and 2 nipple wrenches from Midway USA (just a few months ago )..my total was 14 bucks delivered to the door . Ruger still sells these parts too , I just happen to see them at Midway first .....I`ve since called Ruger parts just to hear them say they had lots of parts for the Ruger ROA ..and if the need be they would make more .....nice to know , there are still alot of these pistols around and always will be .
I bought 2 SS ROA`S last year ...one for me ..one for the wife ..:D

J2.
January 11, 2009, 09:13 PM
Friends are people you can't afford not to have!

Smokin_Gun
January 12, 2009, 03:11 AM
I don't remember the socket size

A standard 3/16" socket, nutdriver, or deep socket will work to remove ROA cones from the cylinder.

SG

Smallgame2100
January 12, 2009, 03:15 AM
Very gorgeous pistol you got.
Any deer, if any, you take down with that, perhaps he deserves a good chunk? :)

JohnKSa
January 12, 2009, 03:35 AM
That's pretty nice.

You can purchase a Nipple wrench that will fit from Dixie Gun Works.

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?products_id=7635&osCsid=a0525440c7a9d4a09da6123651853539

You can get one made by Ruger from Midway USA. It has a screwdriver tip on one end that will fit the screw you turn to remove the cylinder.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=842251

shortwave
January 12, 2009, 05:51 PM
What kirpi97 said. Today,Valueing friendship over money is getting to be a rare commodity. Congrats on your friendship and revolver.

jimtan
January 12, 2009, 08:30 PM
beautiful gun. Value that friend and stop by to see him often. He deserves it.

MontanaS
January 12, 2009, 08:50 PM
Thanks for all the input. I did get the nipple wrench yesterday. Now for some help. One of the nipples is stripped. How can it be removed? It is of course stainless so that is one thing going for me.

mykeal
January 12, 2009, 09:37 PM
Not sure what you mean by stripped - are the threads damaged or the nut shoulders rounded off?

If the latter, it can be removed by carefully drilling out the flash hole and then fliling a slot in the hole so that a blade screwdriver will fit.

Otherwise it will have to be carefully drilled out for an easy out and then the threads dressed.

MontanaS
January 12, 2009, 11:06 PM
nut shoulders are rounded off

Smokin_Gun
January 13, 2009, 03:31 AM
Find the next size smaller Metric socket from 3/16. See if it will tap on the nipple if they are that rounded. If too tight kiss the metric socket on opposite side with a dremel till it will tap on. That should do it.
Good luck with the extracton.

SG