PDA

View Full Version : Good revolver to hunt with?

reddheadnla1974
January 4, 2009, 07:35 PM
I am looking for a Good revolver to hunt with. What would be a good strong one to get. What do you recommend?

reddheadnla1974
January 4, 2009, 07:45 PM
I was thinling about hog hunting or deer hunting close range. What is stronger than an 1858 remmy .44. I am looking for a real strong one.Thanks

simonkenton
January 4, 2009, 07:49 PM
I killed a 140 pound wild hog with two lung shots from a .45 acp, so I am sure you could do the same with a cap and ball pistol.
I made that kill at 30 yards and I wouldn't go any farther with the black powder pistol.
Do you mean a strong frame, or a strong powder charge?
The biggest powder charge is with the Walker Colt.

On those hogs stay away from that thick shoulder shield and go for the lung shot and you should do well.

reddheadnla1974
January 4, 2009, 08:01 PM
I have been wondering about a walker. I had an 1858 target, and I loved it but I want something with a little more umpf to it.

Hawg
January 4, 2009, 08:25 PM
Sounds like it's Walker time.:cool:

reddheadnla1974
January 4, 2009, 08:40 PM
Are there any draw backs to the walker?

kirpi97
January 4, 2009, 09:06 PM
Only the sticker price. Walkers command a higher premium. Even in a down market, I haven't seen them fall from grace. There you have it. The only reason I do not have a Walker in my collection.

reddheadnla1974
January 4, 2009, 09:14 PM
Yea I just started looking at some, and wnen I got back up off of the floor I bid on one. They are a little lot high.

dmwphoto
January 4, 2009, 09:15 PM
ruger Redhawk or super Redhawk in 44 magnum is what Iw would reccomend along with hundreds of hours of practice

Hawg
January 4, 2009, 09:30 PM
Wrong forum for them new fangled cartridge thingy's.:eek: :p :D

mykeal
January 4, 2009, 09:49 PM
You might consider one of the Colt Dragoons or the Rogers and Spencer. Both are large frame .44 cal revolvers that are capable of large loads - they don't hold 60 grains like the Walker but they are good, accurate guns and are generally less expensive.

4V50 Gary
January 4, 2009, 10:21 PM
The only modern revolver I'd consider carrying would be a Ruger Old Army.

Now, if I was scared and didn't want to trust my life on a cap 'n ball, I'd go with my Model 29. :p

reddheadnla1974
January 4, 2009, 10:46 PM
I have been thinking about the walker,dragoons and the ruger old army. I am only going to be able to get one that is why I am trying to find the best one. They are all kinda high. Sometimes choices are just so hard to make.

mykeal
January 5, 2009, 08:27 AM
I didn't mention the Ruger Old Army because of price - if a Walker is expensive the ROA is even more so. However, there is no doubt the best c&b revolver is the Ruger. If you can afford it, there's really no question about it - it's well worth the extra cost.

madmo44mag
January 5, 2009, 10:01 AM
Many years I have hunted with my Ruger 44 mag with a 10.5 bull barrel and iron sites.
This is the round I worked up and is very accurate up to 125 yrds. - best between 50 and 85 yrds
180 JHP
23.1gr 2400
Mag primed
Heavy roll crimp
Be sure brass is dead on size and has not been shot more than once.
This is a slightly compressed load.
** Do not shoot out of anything but a Ruger or Contender**
Had a bud shoot it through his S&W model 29 and jammed up the locking pawl

Largest deer taken to date was a 8 point weighing in at 155 lbs
Neck shot at 65 yrds - dead when it hit the ground.:)

Hawg
January 5, 2009, 10:18 AM
As said before. Wrong forum for them new fangled cartridge thingies.:D

reddheadnla1974
January 5, 2009, 05:40 PM
So what you are saying is that the ruger is the best cap and ball revolver for hunting? If it is then that will be the one I get. Thanks

long rider
January 5, 2009, 07:00 PM
YEAH YOU TELL EM HAWG,
Like i said i shot my first white tail in ks with my
58 remy 35grns of real black and 454 round ball.:D

robhof
January 5, 2009, 08:23 PM
I second the ROA and get some Classicballistx after market cylinders, they have deeper cylinders and will hold 45gr B/p, wad and ball or conical. If you win the lottery, someone converts the ROA into a 50cal five shot for about 3 times the cost of the original ROA. There was a review in a gun mag that sang the praises of the magnum ROA, with some impressive groups at 25 and 50yds,

long rider
January 5, 2009, 08:49 PM
Yea you could use the ROA for a backup gun
just incase you mis with the 58.:rolleyes::D

kirpi97
January 5, 2009, 10:51 PM
Shoot, you may just want to throw the ROA at the buck. If you missed with the '58, odds you'll miss with the other as well.:)

Hunting is a skill. You can take a whitetail down with any of the .44 calibers or even a .36 to that matter. I have taken a Columbian Black Tail (about the same size as a whitetail) with it. As for wild hogs, I would want the stopping power of the .44. The real key is the fool behind the trigger. It is he that matters, not how much lead or powder can be packed.

Going for the largest handgun to take wildlife is like asking, "How big of a fire does it take to burn the forest?" Many an errant cigarette has destroyed thousands of acres.

Its is not the dog in the fight, but the fight in the dog.

Besides, who gave those cartridge boys the secret password to this forum?

reddheadnla1974
January 6, 2009, 05:36 PM
I was thinking that if a revolver held more powder then it would be a stronger gun. Better to hunt with.

long rider
January 6, 2009, 05:49 PM
Not allways true?
You could hit a elk in the butt with a 300 win mag,
and hit a elk with a 22 in the lung? .:rolleyes::D

sundance44s
January 6, 2009, 05:53 PM
One thing about the Ruger ROA ,,,it may not hold quite as much powder as a Walker ..but it is real easy to sight in , with the adjustable sights , and it can take 45 grs or so of that 3F 777 sub powder and it won`t hurt it .
Not to mention you can sight it in to the load of your choice . So for pistol hunting ..the ROA has my vote .
The Walkers and Remingtons might shoot a little high and left with a stout load . You can get POA with the Ruger , just adjust the sights . I never have cared much for useing Ky. Windage type aiming for takeing game not fair to the animal or me ..Sometimes it`s a long wait on a cold morning ..get an edge ..use a pistol that shoots where it`s aimed .

mykeal
January 6, 2009, 11:34 PM
It may be a stronger gun but that doesn't make it a better gun for hunting. For the ranges at which you should be shooting a revolver the ROA has plenty of punch. If you really need more velocity/energy, you're too far away to use a revolver humanely.

madcratebuilder
January 7, 2009, 09:49 AM
My choice would be my Walker with conical's. I don't think any other C&B could match the energy. Second choice would be a ROA because of adjustable sights, it's the most accurate C&B I have ever shot.

long rider
January 7, 2009, 07:17 PM
OK well the 58 remmy also comes with adjustable
sights to.:eek::D

Jeff
January 7, 2009, 10:12 PM
If you are considering a Ruger Old Army, you better move fast. Ruger has discontinued them. There may be a few left in the dealer pipelines, if you are lucky, but even when they were in production they were not always available. Used ones can be tough to find; not many of us that have them will part with them. Mine has been my constant companion on muzzle loader hunts for almost two decades.

I have had the good fortune to shoot a number of animals with it over the years, up to and including coyotes. Observing its performance on animals the size of average coyotes, I would never even consider one to be a big game revolver. That 140-ish grain round ball never exited on any coyotes I ever hit, regardless of range or angle. That's on a 30 pound animal. It just runs out of steam too fast, and starts out too light to begin with.

I have actually been lucky enough to take a few heads of deer and antelope with black powder revolvers. The old .45 Colt is tailor made for this. Fancy that - it started out with black powder to begin with, and continues to excel with it today. It has the case capacity and bullet weight to make for a truly effective medium big game round, even when loaded with black powder.

I have used two bullets over the years, starting with the RCBS .45-255K, a Keith style semi wadcutter. I have now gone to Dave Scovill's .45-270 SAA design which RCBS began producing a few years back. Both are great choices. I cast them from wheel weights, lube them with SPG, and load them over 38-40 grains (volume) of GOEX FFFg, then light it with a CCI 350 magnum primer. Velocities run in the mid 800 fps range out of my 4 3/4" Colt or my 4 5/8" Ruger New Vaquero. They go into the mid 900 fps range from an old 7 1/2" Colt. This is a far better big game load than any round ball (or even lightweight conical) out of any cap'n'ball gun. I have never actually recovered one from a game animal; every one I have ever hit an animal with has exited.

You can pick up Ruger Vaqueros all day long for less than 400 bucks. They can serve as a black powder hunting revolver, very much looking the part, or as a modern sidearm loaded with the latest and greatest wonder load. They make wonderful plinkers when loaded with smokeless for those days you just don't want to deal with the black powder mess.