PDA

View Full Version : head shots? is there anything wrong with them?

deermaster
January 2, 2009, 09:30 PM
how do you feel about head shots on deer? i have one very small piece of land to hunt, and if a deer runs any distance, i will have to trespass to recover it. also, this land is super thick, and a 30 yard shot is extreme range. so i patterned my 12 gauge with #1 buck shot, and saw i could keep 10 pellets in the head area, and many more in the head/neck area, at 20 yards. so i went out, and killed 2 deer in 2 hunts, both head shots, both drt, absoultely NO meat waste. is there anything wrong with a head shot? if a hunter knows their limits, mine was 25 yards, whether it be a shot gun up close or a rifle at longer range, is there anything wrong with a head shot, for a flop drop, drt kill? after this season, i say not at all. it allowed me to take 2 deer without losing them or having to sneak on the neigbors property, and to not waste any meat. how do you feel about em?

Brian Pfleuger
January 2, 2009, 09:41 PM
Be responsible. Take and make good shots. No problems at all.

BuckHammer
January 2, 2009, 09:50 PM
In my opinion, head shots are nasty. Yes, I have done it; yes, it is nasty. Maybe with shot it isn't so bad, but in Indiana, if you don't have a legal rifle, slugs are the only way to go. And that is why I say it's nasty.

It doesn't appear that you think it's nasty (based on the fact that you did it twice), so as far as I'm concerned, if you can hit the head, go for it. It's a smaller target than center mass, but if you hit it, it's over right there. Also, like you said, there is no meat damage.

Bottom line is, if you can reliably hit the small target of the head, and you can stomach it, head shots are fine.

Swampghost
January 2, 2009, 10:00 PM
I prefer head shots when I can get them. If it's a buck even a short run can fill the meat with adrenaline/testosterone affecting the taste and I've been over the wall mount phase for over 30 yrs.

deermaster
January 2, 2009, 10:09 PM
i absolutly know what you mean about a head shot being nasty with a slug or large caliber...i probably would not do it if i was using a big and or fast bullet, just because i would feel like i disrespected the animal or something. but with the buckshot, one kill there was just little flecks of blood on the animals head where the pellets hit, and on the other, there was very little apperant damage, so i didnt feel bad about it. but i know what you mean about the big calibers, i would hate to destroy an animal like that, and if that was what i was restricted too, i would really hesitate.

Boone
January 2, 2009, 11:03 PM
Just say no to ugly deer. Head shots = ugly. I prefer a double lung shot. They can't run far.

armedtotheteeth
January 2, 2009, 11:33 PM
Well, I shoot for the head. I have had enough of trashed shoulders, and almost gut shots. I also have a very small place to hunt. A runner would end up on the neighbors in just seconds. I use a scoped Ar 15 to much success. No chasing deer, at all. Yeah, Im over trophys too. I just hang whatever skulls i get on the back porch. MOst all of them have bullet damage. The more intersting ones where hit with a 300 Win. A good size deer here will give you 50 pounds of meat ( some more, some less), unless you hit the shoulders. Then you lose another 15 pounds. I aint shooting, cleaning, and packaging a deer for just 35 pounds of meat.

crowbeaner
January 2, 2009, 11:46 PM
If I get a head shot, I take it. I've tried cooking horns every way possible, and you can't soften them up to make them palatable. I beaned a button buck with my CVA at 30 feet this fall. DRT. I'm disabled, and any amount of dragging is a chore. If my deer runs another 100 yards, it's that much more work on my tired old legs. Ugly? Yup. Darned effective though, and as other posters have noted, no meat loss. If I can't hit them in the bean, I shoot them in the neck and they drop right there. I'd rather lose neck meat than shoulders.

T. O'Heir
January 3, 2009, 12:02 AM
"...killed 2 deer in 2 hunts, both head shots, both drt..." Rule Number One. It works, so don't fix it. Don't think I'd take a head shot on a huge trophy buck, but it sounds like filling the freezer is more important to you. Nothing wrong with that. Venison is tasty stuff.
You may want to go talk to your neighbour about getting permission should you ever need it. The worst he can say is no. A venison roast or a few steaks(whatever he needs for a family meal) makes a great incentive. Or invite him and his family for dinner. Could be that he's in the same situation.
"...use a scoped Ar 15 to much success..." What bullet?

stevelyn
January 3, 2009, 12:43 AM
Most native hunters I know will take head or neck shots if they can get them. No sense in shooting up edible meat. If you can pull it off why not?

shortwave
January 3, 2009, 01:21 AM
Prefer heart/lung shot. In years past have taken a few head shots. 12 ga. slug and head shot=`s mess.

troy_mclure
January 3, 2009, 04:34 AM
ive made head shots with 12ga slugs, .50 muzzle loaders, .22mag, .40s&w.
it can get messy!

but i like them because the animal drops right there, no ruined meat, no holes in the hide(if you keep/sell them), if you miss you miss(for the most part).

texfar
January 3, 2009, 07:46 AM
Two of the deer I took this year were neck shots and one a base of skull shot all from about 135 yards with a 7mm STW 168 accubond. All three = mess, but no lost meat at all. the skull shot from rear = no identifiable head. Neck shots = just cut the hide and the rest fell off. I am not into the horns any more as well. I let a 10-12 point walk this year. Fretted about it all day, but the next day I felt good about it and will do it again. Meat man these days.
Ken

metalheadlead
January 3, 2009, 10:57 AM
no problem with a head shot, as I far as I know the whole point is to take the deer down as efficeintly and quickly as possible.

hogdogs
January 3, 2009, 11:01 AM
I took my first 3 deer with head shots... Grampa hollered at me about missing... "Heck I said, MISS? I hit where I aimed" he then told me for the first time about the "vitals"... I had to ask him if the brain wasn't vital...
He then told me he had wanted to get me a head mount of my first deer, then second, then third... Never hunted with the ol' feller again:(
\Brent

tyrajam
January 3, 2009, 12:48 PM
It seems regional to me, a ton of hunters I know in the South and southeast grew up taking head/neck shots, but where I grew up on the west coast, it was not something that most folks did.

Like T. O'heir said, if it works, don't change it!

jaymag
January 3, 2009, 02:07 PM
It leaves no room for error.Why blow it's jaw off or ears.The deer can still run and not be found.Bullets do tend to deflect off of round smooth boney heads.No point! aim for the heart and lungs.Even a kidney or liver hit,will down a whitetail.I tried ending a doe with a shot to the head at 20yrd with 00 buck.I hit one lung with a slug before this.I wanted to just finish her.She jump up after I fired.Some how all the pellets missed the brain?The face looked like sponge bob.I still found her 30yrds later.I just don't like head shots.The brain is a small target,bottom line.

ZeroJunk
January 3, 2009, 02:23 PM
I have seem two deer with their lower jaw shot off. One was finished off quickly, the other was after it starved.

So, make sure of your shot.

jaymag
January 3, 2009, 08:40 PM
My total point!!!

Swampghost
January 3, 2009, 09:13 PM
jaymag, some folks like to eat the innards. Why would you want to mess up a perfectly good liver or heart or kidney?

Ugly? Yep! My first cut is the head (jugular/carotids) even on boiler-room shots just to get out as much blood as possible.

armedtotheteeth
January 3, 2009, 09:43 PM
Dont miss. The vital area is larger than the head, yes. Anywhere on the vital area of a deer , it will take far longer to kill a deer than the head will. You hit them in the head, they are dead before the bullet exits the head. You shoot them in the lungs, the run for a few hundred yards sometimes and slowly die.

cornbush
January 3, 2009, 09:43 PM
Head shots are great, if you can get a clear headshot take it. You sound like you know the effective range of your load and the pattern, go for it. I take mostly chest shots, but thats because most of my shots are between 200 and 300 yards. I have taken headshots and love em,but they were at about 80 yards and 150 yards standing still, off a solid rest. I can't think of much a load of buckshot to the brain bucket isn't going to drop inside your effective range.

Swampghost
January 3, 2009, 10:03 PM
Just to make it clear, most of my shots are within bow range. 200 FT. is pretty long in the piney woods and swamps. When forced to go for the long ones (200+ yds.) I'm using another rifle and going for vitals.

armedtotheteeth
January 3, 2009, 11:04 PM
Yeah, we blind hunt here. Its like shooting off a rest. All ranges are known, and usually under 150 yards. 200 yards tops with a Ar15..

MeekAndMild
January 3, 2009, 11:14 PM
12 gauge with #1 buck shot...20 yards
This makes sense. Shotgun pellets spread out and hit moving targets. A deers head is bigger than the target area of a quail or dove.

Problems my hunting buddies have had with head shots occurred with rifles at longer distances. At 150 yards bullet travel time after the flash is about 1/6th of a second. Mostly problems told to me were guys having to track deer with jaw injuries from where the deer jerked its head up at the flash.

This is a totally different world from shotgun hunting.

Hawg Haggen
January 3, 2009, 11:16 PM
I take heart and lung shots with a 30-06. They almost never go anywhere. When they do it's not far, usually 50 ft. or less. If you ever see a deer with his jaw shot off you'll give up head shots. It's an ugly, long dying.

armedtotheteeth
January 4, 2009, 12:59 PM
Thats why you shoot them from behind, they dont see no stinkin muzzle flash. No Jaw to blow off either. It takes a little patience, But , just wait until they look over to the side or behind them.

Daryl
January 4, 2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not so stuck on one shot that it's all I'll take.

If an animal is broadside, I'll take a heart/lung shot; pretty much every time. If I'm offered a head on shot, or a tail end shot, I'll take a neck shot.

You just have to know the vital areas, and take what's offered. A nice heart/lund shot behind the shoulder with a well constructed bullet ruins very little meat. Just make it a point to miss the shoulder blade, which is certainly no more tricky than waiting for a head shot.

Daryl

HOGGHEAD
January 4, 2009, 04:05 PM
A good hunter will consider the situation he is in. And then he will shoot accordingly. I have seen times when a head shot was the only reasonable killing shot. However I will admit that I do not like taking head shots.

IMO if you want the most reliable "drop them in their tracks" shot. Then you should shoot 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up the front shoulder. You have the largest margin of error with this shot. And the high shoulder shot will definitely drop them dead on the spot.

You may have a little meat loss. However someone said earlier that the front shoulders have 15 pounds of meat in them. I have never shot a deer with that much meat on the front shoulders, and a large deer here in WV runs about 125-150#. You are lucky if you get 5# of meat from the front shoulders on a 125# deer. Tom.

Hawg Haggen
January 4, 2009, 08:39 PM
Hogghead they must be weighing the bones too.:D I don't usually go through the shoulder but it will most definitely take out the lungs. I rarely use shoulder meat myself. More trouble than it's worth. I usually give the front shoulders and ribs away to someone that wouldn't have any deer meat otherwise.

MeekAndMild
January 4, 2009, 10:15 PM
deermaster, rereading the thread, don't let us rifle hunters throw you off. Even though I hunt 90% of the time with a rifle I've hunted with a shotgun enough to know that your method is a good one. If you can hit a dove or a quail at 25 yards you can hit a deer head. And it sounds like you've proven your technique with experience. ;)

publius
January 4, 2009, 10:54 PM
Nothing at all wrong with head shots if you are shooting at a calm animal and know it won't move at the moment of truth. I used head shots for does for years but switched to a very high neck shot for does and cull bucks. Same lethal results with a little bigger target area and doesn't ruin the antlers on the bucks.

jaymag
January 6, 2009, 07:51 AM
I do like to eat the heart and the inners.Im just saying deer can be very tough to bring down,even when good shots are made.Im outside to down my game.Not take chances on making a perfect brain shot.I'll it takes is one branch to throw a bullet or a arrow off.But you do what you want.It's just my 2 cents.

jamaica
January 6, 2009, 07:28 PM
Head shots? Yes, of course. That is my favorite shot on deer, in fact, I insist on it. Why spoil the meat? Why chase a wounded deer? A bullet in the brain drops the animal like a wet dishcloth.

armedtotheteeth
January 12, 2009, 10:48 PM
indeed.. wet dishcloth. Very good analogy. There is almost always some flopping and twitching going on. I have even had deer run in circles for a minute like "Curly" from the " Three Stooges"
Meat loss sucks.
Losing a wounded animal sucks even more
Tracking deer in this part of the world aint easy. Every damn plant here is genetically designed to KILL YOU! I have a special hatred for the dreaded "Waitaminute!" bush. It will stop you in your tracks.
Cactus, mesquites, yucca, waitaminute, rocks and rattlesnakes make tracking deer damned near impossible

L_Killkenny
January 13, 2009, 12:15 PM
When using a "rifle", I find head shots on game to be irresponsible most of the time. Rabbits, squirrel and treed game being the exceptions. The brain on critters is very small compared to the size of the head and wounding shots are very likely. The worst example of this is when people recommend head shots on coyotes with a rimfire. Nothing worse than leaving a critter with a lower jaw blown off or a bad wound on the head/neck that will cause a very slow and painful death. A head/neck wound is far worse than "gut shots".

But in your case when using a shotgun with buck shot, I think a head/neck shot makes a lot of sense. You patterned your gun and know it's capabilities. Don't be tempted by shots that are beyond the distances you are speaking of and you should do fine.

texfar
January 13, 2009, 02:33 PM
Guess I outa get one point straight. I shoot head neck shots on 98% of the an animals I shoot, but as above posts, point out the different aspect of the shot. I wait for the right shot period. In my hunting days from 2000 I was pretty much retired and just plain waited for my shot. That is the latitude I had and still have. I was hunting every single day of the season and could AFFORD, my shot. That is not the same for the guy that only gets to hunt 4 days out of the entire season.
Ken:D

Para Bellum
January 17, 2009, 03:19 AM
What about the neck? Bigger critical area. Drops it instantly. For me it sounds strange to use a shotgun on deeer, but that's maybe my european attitude. We use rifles against deer.

DiscoRacing
January 17, 2009, 09:41 AM
i shoot for the head if possible... why i use 150 grain full metal jackets.... small hole....instant drop... guaranteed... nice deal in my book.

Jimbow1965
January 17, 2009, 11:30 AM
Take the shot.....if you don't want pictures.....or antlers....and you can MAKE the shot.
Saves meat too.

jaymag
January 17, 2009, 02:56 PM
Know need?You will here me laughing when you pull a shot one inch over it's head with your dream buck standing there?Waiting 8 hours a day,All week.It would be a little differant with a 10-15 yrd shot with a shotgun or scoped rifle.Where I hunt in hardwoods and thick cedar groves with lots of branches,it's just not worth it.The lungs work just fine!

Art Eatman
January 17, 2009, 07:43 PM
Aw, now, jaymag, one inch over its head means you're off target by some four inches, roughly. Being off that far can cause trouble no matter what part of a deer you're intending to hit. :)

tblt44
January 17, 2009, 08:41 PM
If your a good shot and the deer is not moving not a problem

armedtotheteeth
January 17, 2009, 10:40 PM
I would not like to track a lung shot deer in thick cover. Killing it and losing it is way way way worse than missing it. If you miss you can just tell your buddies something like you dropped your gun. I dont have to track the deer I shoot.

kmrcstintn
January 21, 2009, 10:23 PM
head shots? is there anything wrong with them?

yep...even when a deer's feet ain't moving their heads bop up-n-down and side-to-side; very damned hard to make a deer stand absolutely still (especially their head) to get a clean and lethal shot; too small a target with too much movement

addendum...

for example... http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329444

the pictures of the deer in this thread are a good example of WHY a head shot is not the best idea; seems that a different hunter FUBAR'ed a head shot and the deer got away before the hunter with enough sense to take a clean and lethal shot put it down;

T-Ray
January 22, 2009, 07:21 PM
if you don't care about the head (if its a buck) or carnage, they're pretty handy. Most people prefer heart, lung, shoulder shots, especially if it's long range b/c it's a much bigger and a lot more stationary target

PaddyWhacked
January 22, 2009, 09:35 PM
Aside from ruining trophy bucks there's one problem I have with head shots (aside from the issue of constantly bobbing heads and long distance rifle shots). If you tan your own hides, brains are important. Liquefying said brains means a trip to the butcher shop to buy a bucket of them. What gets me is all these people suggesting neck shots for the sake of not wasting meat. Neck meat is just as edible as shoulder meat. The nine pointer I brought home this year had about five pounds of meat on the neck. That's about three pounds of jerky num nums. You all have some small deer up in MA. The aforementioned buck weighed in at about 220lbs gutted. I ended up bringing home about 90lbs of meat (including heart and liver... big ol' heart on that monster too), and I lost some due to not being able to get it all stored and cut in time.

Todd1700
January 24, 2009, 05:02 AM
yep...even when a deer's feet ain't moving their heads bop up-n-down and side-to-side; very damned hard to make a deer stand absolutely still (especially their head) to get a clean and lethal shot; too small a target with too much movement

I agree. Never liked head shots. Heart lung area is a lot bigger target, 100% lethal and being a part of the deers torso tends to stay still for much longer periods than a deers head. The "wastes no meat argument" is a wash for taking head shots as well. A bullet through the lungs damages nothing but ribs, lungs and maybe heart. I don't know of anyone who eats those parts of a whitetail. If they do then they are some seriously hungry SOB's.

PaddyWhacked
January 24, 2009, 05:53 AM
Heart is awesome. Don't knock it 'till you try it.

KEN K
January 24, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yea I like the heart meat too. You can't limit yourself to any one shot, I see nothing wrong with a head shot as long as it's within your comfort rang. I personally like the high neck or high shoulder to drop them in their tracks and if you hunt on a small plot you need to get them down as soon as possible. A man has got to know his limitations ( Clint Eastwood) anything over 150 yds. and I go for the high shoulder or heart long area. Any time you totally disrupt the central nerves of an animal it is dead on it's feet. It's better to loase a little meat than the whole deer so pick your shot according to the moment.

eaglesnester
January 25, 2009, 05:18 PM
Never, ever take a head shot in spite of what all the other posters have said on this site. The head is too small a target and if you hit the animal in the jaw he will run away and die a very slow and painful death. You owe it to your quarry to use more ethical shot, a shot that is much easier to undertake and that is a heart lung shot. If you can not get in a clear shot through the lights well, he got away pure and simple. Those that advocate a head shot should be allowed to only have plastic guns and rubber bullets:eek:

Cheers & Tighter Groups: Eaglesnester

Art Eatman
January 25, 2009, 07:33 PM
I stuck a .243 into a little 6-pointer's ear, one time. Went to hang him up for skinning, and his horns folded. Duh! So, back to neck shots. The kill zones, head or neck, are about the same. No big deal, either way.

armedtotheteeth
January 25, 2009, 09:15 PM
you shoot them in the lung/ gut area and the run off and die a slow death anyhow. Granted a jaw shot is pretty nasty and gross. That is why I shoot them from the back of the head. How the hell can you shoot the jaw off a deer when you shoot them from the back of the head? ( unless of course the jaw is blown off after the bullet goes through the back of his head) I hate seeing deer stumble around with a gaping hole blown in their lungs. I have found enough of them dying under trees gasping for air and bleeding out. THat is why I went to headshots. They never know what hit them. Bang flop. Practice shooting, then go hunting. Hunting is not practice shooting. Be prepared to take a head shot before you go hunting. I hate hearing bout the folks who only get their gun out once a year or so to go hunting.
No matter how you cook them.. Antlers are tough.

cschwanz
January 30, 2009, 09:45 PM
i have never and will never take a head shot on a deer. aiming for the double lung is the only way to go for me. ill take a target the size of a dinner plater over that of a tea cup anyday. the margin of error is just too small for a head shot.

true, even a double-lung on a good sized deer can lead to a decent sized track/drag, but id much rather drag a deer out of the woods then watch it run over the hill wondering what i did wrong.

As for the tracking deer onto other ppl's property issue. have all neighbor's phone numbers and have your cell phone in your shirt pocket. if the deer crosses the fence, politely call them and let them know what going on. if they have a problem with it, call your local game warden and they will come to your place and escort you onto the property.

jamiejaf
February 1, 2009, 05:17 PM
I have a head shot only policy on bears. They make a horrible wailing noise when you go for the vitals.

Para Bellum
February 2, 2009, 04:39 PM
I don't know about the US, but we in Austria have Hunting Ethics called "Waidgerechtigkeit". We try to treat the game with as much respect and possible, killing quickly and kind of in a fair way.

Let me get to the point: If you shoot at the head and don't hit well, you could e.g. just shoot the jaw away. The wounded animal would live on for days, and you won't be able to track it, since it isn't hurt in it's vitals or legs.

I wouldn't shoot the head if I were not 100% sure that I will hit the brain. In other words: Don't shoot an aninmal in a way you wouldn't wanna be shot yourself (if being shot were your destiny at all....)

armsmaster270
February 2, 2009, 07:19 PM
When I hunted with my grandfather he always hit them in the neck and they dropped like they were poleaxed every time. One shot one kill with Remington 30-06 150gr Bronze Points.

jckeffer
February 3, 2009, 01:30 AM
For rabbits, head shot, else no meat, squirrels, head shot, else no meat, turkeys, head shot else pellets in your meat, coyotes, head shot else no usable hide. Deer, head shots -just habit I suppose.

surfersami
February 4, 2009, 08:26 AM
Check your laws, in a lot of states it is legal to enter property if you notify the owner to recover game.

James R. Burke
February 23, 2009, 12:26 PM
I go for the head shots with does. Most the time I connect, and they drop right there. No meat waste. Does look nasty with a 06. If I do miss but not very often no big deal with a doe I no I will get another chance. I am taking the doe just for the meat anyways. If it is a buck , and I let the small ones go then most of the time depending on the angle etc. behind the front shoulder.

WildHunter3
February 25, 2009, 08:07 AM
I like head shots also, but I use a 300 Win Mag & a 12 ga....it doesnt waste any meat, & if you miss ...the deer is ok. I kill between 6 - 12 deer a year...most are doe deer, so headshots when possible. If you are using a shotgun...try the Hevi-Shot buckshot. It has more range, groups tighter & has more energy than any lead buckshot. Hevi-Shot is 15-20% heavier than lead & will pass through a deer @ 80 & 90 yards..!!! We hunt deer with dogs in the lowcountry of SC, and I have done it numerous times each year..

hogdogs
February 25, 2009, 08:59 AM
Never, ever take a head shot in spite of what all the other posters have said on this site. The head is too small a target and if you hit the animal in the jaw he will run away and die a very slow and painful death.

NEVER, EVER listen to this sorry advise... While there are a few viable reasons to avoid the head shot... target size ain't one!
Obviously this guy can't hit a golfball at 100 yards with a 3 mph crosswind!:mad: With a steady grip (no beer) and a marlin 60 offhand, I am usually with in an inch of a 20 gauge hull at 100 yards... that is fairly close, close enuff for a deer size head no problem!
I have also dropped tree rats at a hundred with an intended "brainer" with a .22lr... heck 50 yards with the gammo pellet rifle and iron sights is almost easy...
My biggest risk when shooting deer size game is that long damn neck allows the head to bobble far to much for me to support 175 plus yard head shots...
Brent

Art Eatman
February 25, 2009, 10:23 AM
Head shots, generally, are aesthetically yucky. Heart/lung shots mean a seriously large amount of blood all over the place. And that, chilluns, is why I prefer the neck shots. Not much mess, which suits my dainty nature for having clean hands at all times.

Now, neck meat grinds up into deerburger, which makes the world's finest spaghetti sauce. There is a magical synergy between deer meat and tomatoes. Absolutely yummy. But as I said to my wife, one time, "Darlin', if you feed me spaghetti one more time, you can pack up and go." I mean, there are limits!

IOW, if you take neck shots, you still have shoulders, hams, backstraps and the inner tenders (aka "poison sacs", but that's another story).

People worry too much. Picking fly poop out of pepper is not a worthwhile career.

madmo44mag
February 25, 2009, 10:58 AM
This tread is very subjective.
I head shoot and hunt with a scoped 44mag.
Of all the years I been pistol hunting on very rare occasions I have gone for a heart or lung shot.
Any shot not well placed and executed can lead to a long and painful death of an animal.
Head shots insure the meat is adrenaline free and no wasted meat.
Yes it is very messy.
Clint Eastwood said it best in one of his Dirty Harry movies. "A mans got to know his limitations"
That's what it is about;knowing what you and your gun are capable of.

davlandrum
February 25, 2009, 11:47 AM
My hunting experience started with bow hunting, so habits learned there have influenced my gun hunting. I am strictly a heart/lung guy.

As Brent pointed out, that neck allows the head to move very quickly at the worst time.

Everyone has to decide for themselves.

MrClean
February 25, 2009, 12:02 PM
Never, ever take a head shot in spite of what all the other posters have said on this site. The head is too small a target and if you hit the animal in the jaw he will run away and die a very slow and painful death.

Hmmmm...... you almost Never say Never or Always, number 1.
If you can't MAKE the shot, don't take it. This goes for ANY zone. If you can't HIT heart/lung at 500 yards, frikken don't shoot. If you can't hit a head at 100 yards, don't frikken shoot. It's that simple. KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

You owe it to your quarry to use more ethical shot, a shot that is much easier to undertake and that is a heart lung shot.

I've seen way more deer go off wounded, gut shot, from someone trying to hit the heart/lung than I have missed head shots. I agree... you owe it to the animal to make an effective shot. But what's an easy obtainable shot for you may or may not be for the next person.

If you can not get in a clear shot through the lights well, he got away pure and simple.
Lights? Hmmm.... we call the eyes "lights". Hence the term lights out. So I'm a bit confused, but it would seem you are advocating a heart/lung shot so I will take it in that context. You have way more chance of them NOT getting away pure and simple when shooting the center mass area than if you are shooting at the head. 6" high or low on a head shot and they should run off into the sunset. 6" high or low on a heart/lung shot and you have a wounded deer that will die slowly.

Those that advocate a head shot should be allowed to only have plastic guns and rubber bullets

Maybe those that aren't good enough shots to HIT a smaller target like that should be the ones only allowed to have plastic guns and rubber bullets. I'd much rather have a real gun in the hands of a marksman than in the hands of someone that can't hit the broad side of the barn from the inside. :D

timinkc
March 6, 2009, 11:13 PM
OK... I grew up, and have lived my whole life (32 years) in rural Missouri. I've killed over 20 deer myself, and between my Dad, Uncles, Brother, Grandfather, and Mother (that's right she's killed 16), certainly over the 100 mark, and none of us has ever took a head shot on a deer. Not ever. Not only that, but among all of the deer I've seen shot, only once did I see a friend of a friend one time shoot one in the jaw. He grew up in the City, and he had heard somewhere (probably a forum like this) that "head shots" were the way to go. He was ridiculed mercilessly for the ignorance of such an action, and told he was no longer welcome to hunt on my friends farm.

JohnKSa
March 6, 2009, 11:30 PM
One other consideration is that prion diseases like CWD are spread by neural tissue. A good headshot will tend to "distribute" neural tissue over a wide area.

FrankenMauser
March 7, 2009, 12:08 AM

Hmmmm...... you almost Never say Never or Always, number 1.
If you can't MAKE the shot, don't take it. This goes for ANY zone. If you can't HIT heart/lung at 500 yards, frikken don't shoot. If you can't hit a head at 100 yards, don't frikken shoot. It's that simple. KNOW YOUR LIMITS.

You owe it to your quarry to use more ethical shot, a shot that is much easier to undertake and that is a heart lung shot.

I've seen way more deer go off wounded, gut shot, from someone trying to hit the heart/lung than I have missed head shots. I agree... you owe it to the animal to make an effective shot. But what's an easy obtainable shot for you may or may not be for the next person.

If you can not get in a clear shot through the lights well, he got away pure and simple.

Lights? Hmmm.... we call the eyes "lights". Hence the term lights out. So I'm a bit confused, but it would seem you are advocating a heart/lung shot so I will take it in that context. You have way more chance of them NOT getting away pure and simple when shooting the center mass area than if you are shooting at the head. 6" high or low on a head shot and they should run off into the sunset. 6" high or low on a heart/lung shot and you have a wounded deer that will die slowly.

Those that advocate a head shot should be allowed to only have plastic guns and rubber bullets

Maybe those that aren't good enough shots to HIT a smaller target like that should be the ones only allowed to have plastic guns and rubber bullets. I'd much rather have a real gun in the hands of a marksman than in the hands of someone that can't hit the broad side of the barn from the inside.

What he said. ^ :D

One other consideration is that prion diseases like CWD are spread by neural tissue. A good headshot will tend to "distribute" neural tissue over a wide area.
Very true. CWD is found in neural tissues. Reducing exposure by avoiding these tissues is a good idea.

However, there are no proven scientific theories of how the disease is trasmitted. Even if the disease is transmitted by contact with infected tissue.... When was the last time you saw a deer eating another's tissue? Squirrels are cannibals. Deer are not.
There also hasn't been a single case of CWD ever being transmitted to humans.

So... I should be extra careful not to infect other animals, right? Wrong. CWD is thought to have been affecting these animals for thousands of years. Even when epidemics break out, the powers that be don't even feel the need to control it. Nature balances itself, when it comes to these diseases. The deer die off, their feed rebounds, and when the herd recovers; they feast upon the bountious harvest to quickly attain to their previous numbers.