PDA

View Full Version : Packed?

J2.
December 30, 2008, 08:37 PM
Is there such a thing as over packing your powder and would this cause a misfire? I have had mixed results with my gun. I was just wondering!

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
December 30, 2008, 08:51 PM
You don't "Pack your Powder" You pour a measured amount down your
barrel and then push a bullet down to where it makes contact with the powder. Then you try to put about 40 lbs. of pressure with the ramrod on this
by pushing down. Cap and fire and enjoy the aroma.

Hawg
December 30, 2008, 08:56 PM
Is there such a thing as over packing your powder and would this cause a misfire? I have had mixed results with my gun. I was just wondering!

No to both. They make compression dies to pack cartridge cases with as much powder as they can possibly hold and still seat a bullet. It works fine.

kirpi97
December 30, 2008, 09:17 PM
I have to admit, I often had that fear early on. But it never happened. Just remember when reloading, let the barrel cool.

Unlike Clinton, when I am shooting, I "inhale."

Fingers McGee
December 30, 2008, 11:37 PM
What they said. :rolleyes:

FM

mykeal
December 30, 2008, 11:49 PM
I agree, except for 777. It's sensitive to overcompression, so it CAN be packed too hard.

arcticap
December 30, 2008, 11:58 PM
It's possible to negatively affect accuracy by over compressing substitute powders, or at least by doing it inconsistently.
Chronometer testing has shown that less powder compression will yield less velocity, but that the velocity will be more consistent with less deviations.
Velocity increases with more compression, but because of inconsistencies controlling the amount of compression, a larger amount of deviation in velocity results.
It's more difficult to consistently compress powder a lot than to compress it only as much as necessary.
This depends on which powder is being loaded.
If APP powder absorbs moisture, then compressing it could make it clump up.
And 777 does become more erratic when it's compressed depending on the gun and type of projectile. Sabots don't seem to be as affected by it as much with 777 because they seal the bore so well and the 209 primers are much hotter. But 777 does produce slightly less velocity when it's very compressed.
The new Blackhorn 209 [only for 209 primers] requires more compression for best results.
So experimentation using different amounts of compression is a good idea.
And switching powders or using a finer fffg granulation is another option. P or fffg won't compress down the same or quite as much because it contains less air space to begin with, nor does it require as much IMO.

armedandsafe
December 31, 2008, 12:55 AM
This is an interesting page. Note that he is talking only about Black Powder, not substitutes.

http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/bpcompress/bpcompress.html

Pops

J2.
December 31, 2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks for all of the help. It seems the more I learn about muzzle loaders, the less I know! http://www.smilieshq.com/smilies/winking0071.gif (http://www.smilieshq.com) But it sure is fun making all this smoke!

rem870hunter
January 1, 2009, 07:56 PM
i firmly seat my bullet,sabot. for some reason my first sidelock m/l rifle the conical would move off the powder 2"-3" :mad:. i would constantly check to make sure it was seated fully.

the one i am using now i seat it with the ramrod, give it 8-10 extra taps with the rod. after pouring the measured powder down i would hold it muzzle up and rap the side of the breech area with my hand,with the nipple side slightly downward to get a little powder into the bolster/ nipple area. put a cap on the nipple and put the hammer on half-cock. unless i was ready to fire at the range.
no more trouble with the inline since i started using sabots :D.