PDA

View Full Version : How much poweder?

btolliverjr
December 28, 2008, 10:16 PM
I have a Remington 1858 New Army .44 cap and ball revolver made by Traditions. I have only shot 15 grains of FFFg poweder in it. What is the max load that can be shot throuh it? I thought 15 was the max, but I have read accounts of much higher loads in these posts.

madcratebuilder
December 28, 2008, 10:36 PM
Both mine seem to be most accurate at 25-28 grs, but you can fill the chamber just leaving room to seat the ball. Makes a lot of smoke and noise. I'm not aware of a repro revolver you could actually over load with black powder. Some have filled their Walkers to the brim with triple seven.

fastforty
December 29, 2008, 12:03 AM
I found a charge of about 26-28gr to be the "sweet spot" in my .44 Remmie too. I think that I could cram close to 35 gr in, but accuracy starts to degrade noticeably at 30+gr.

I'd think of 15gr pretty much as a minimum load (you might be able to get away with 8-12gr for some really light purpose, but I'd worry about a plugged barrel).

mykeal
December 29, 2008, 07:01 AM
You cannot overload a black powder revolver. It will safely shoot all the powder you can get in the chamber. The only caveats are:
1) brass framed guns will be damaged over time by repeatedly shooting full chamber loads, and
2) full chamber loads are almost never accurate; they're lots of fun with flame, smoke and loud booms, but don't count on hitting Point of Aim.

Hawg
December 29, 2008, 06:44 PM
) full chamber loads are almost never accurate; they're lots of fun with flame, smoke and loud booms, but don't count on hitting Point of Aim.

Try it and see for yourself. Mine are plenty accurate with 30-35 grs.

btolliverjr
December 29, 2008, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the good information guys. I Have got it last Christmas and have shot it several times, though not as much as I would like. I have only shot the 15 grains in it under the impression from the manual that that was the max load. I have seen no problems with that load, but I am anxious to now use more. I will definately give it a try next time at the range with it.