PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning?

J2.
December 23, 2008, 07:38 PM
With using Pyrodex how important is cleaning compared to Black Powder. How long can you wait before you clean? Some times the cleaning part keeps me from shooting my BP guns.
I generally clean my other weapons at the end of each shoot, unless I will be shooting again the next day. Thanks and comments welcome!

mykeal
December 23, 2008, 09:33 PM
Cleaning requirements for Pyrodex are the same as for real black powder.

If you clean your smokeless cartridge guns after each shooting session, why would black powder be any different?

Huntzalittle
December 23, 2008, 10:15 PM
It is important enough to me that I clean after evey shooting session, without exception.
Its just part of the deal :)

Hawg
December 24, 2008, 12:26 AM
You can wait a few days, won't hurt anything. I left one uncleaned for nine days once and it didn't rust.

jaymag
December 24, 2008, 12:54 AM
Keep clean after every shot to be safe.Even a quickey is good.!

fastforty
December 24, 2008, 12:58 AM
It might depend on your local climate. Out in the hot, bone dry desert, maybe weeks. In Washington, every hour is your enemy.

45Marlin carbine
December 24, 2008, 02:23 AM
use windsheild washer mix for cleaning in a spray bottle to speed cleaning. get the winter mix it has more alcohol. really cuts the crud and is cheap. does better job than Windex.

Hawg
December 24, 2008, 02:32 AM
It might depend on your local climate. Out in the hot, bone dry desert, maybe weeks. In Washington, every hour is your enemy.

I live in the humid south. If it's gonna rust anywhere it'll do it here. You can wait a few days.

J2.
December 24, 2008, 07:26 AM
Thanks for the comments guys. I too try to clean as soon has possible, (no more than a day or two), just looking for your thoughts.

Hawg
December 24, 2008, 07:36 AM
I frequently go two or three days before cleaning my bp guns. I don't take mine completely down but once a year.

CraigC
December 24, 2008, 09:20 AM
Won't hurt a thing to wait a couple days to clean.

Pahoo
December 24, 2008, 11:47 AM
I generally clean my other weapons at the end of each shoot, unless I will be shooting again the next day.

You are doing just fine. Remember that both have sulfur and the corrosion process, starts before you get home. If you want to extend the time to clean, switch to a replacement propellant. Another option is to pop the barrel off and submerge it in a mineral spirits bath for about two or three days, in your shop. That all depends on the on your M/L. I take a length of PVC pipe with a glued flat cap on the bottom and a removable top tap. I stick the barrel into the pipe in the vericle position and fill it up with mineral spirits to cover the barrel. I can confotably let it soak and losen up the fouling until i have time to clean it. Make sure your pipe is well supported. Why take a chance on your M/L and worry about any damage. :eek:

Be Safe !!!

51colt
December 24, 2008, 12:00 PM
If you wait a few days to clean it won't hurt them. The only problem is if you forget to clean them and find them rusted up in your safe a month later. I give them a quick field cleaning with windsheld washer fluid and oil them up good with W-D40 at the range. Then i clean them at my convenience.

Hawg
December 24, 2008, 01:10 PM
WD-40 isn't a lubricant. It's a water displacer.

J2.
December 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks again for the comments, very helpfull indeed! And Merry Christmas to all the B/smokers out there!

rem870hunter
December 25, 2008, 01:09 PM
i clean mine within a few hours of getting home. whether its one shot to empty it a the end of a hunting day. or 10 shots at the range. the only thing i like about the cleaning is the smell of the wonderlube 1000 :D.