PDA

View Full Version : FN-49 Owner's Room

VonFireball
December 23, 2008, 10:40 AM
These rifles don't seem to get much play. I know, they are few in number, but still, they are an awesome machine.

So I'm starting this thread for FN-49 owners to showcase, talk about, and discuss variations of and hand loads for this Rolls Royce of battle rifles.

I'm nearing completion of my project now. I need to bed the action and do some finish sanding before I tru-oil it.

I paid $350 for a barreled action. It only needed a new firing pin (the one weak point in this rifle).

For a stock, I ordered one from American Gunstock in CA. That was my biggest mistake, as the one they sent me (took way longer than I was quoted) was horribly inletted for this action. Way to much wood was removed behind the triggerguard. I called and complained, and all I got was a self righteous attitude from the brick brain that owns the company.

So since I didn't figure they would give me a full refund, I just put it together anyway.

Here are a couple of pictures for you:

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg146/dirkdingus/IMG_0044.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg146/dirkdingus/IMG_0040.jpg

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg146/dirkdingus/IMG_0041.jpg

I love this thing and can't wait to have it finished up!

Tamara
December 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
Did it require a lot of bedding?

How much was the stock?

(My Egyptian shows enough repairs to the wood that a backup stock might not be a bad thing for me to keep on hand...)

VonFireball
December 23, 2008, 10:53 AM
Did it require a lot of bedding?

How much was the stock?

(My Egyptian shows enough repairs to the wood that a backup stock might not be a bad thing for me to keep on hand...)

The stock was $300 and they told me "six weeks". That turned into beyond twelve weeks.

Looking back, I should've just waited and got a surplus stock for around $150 that would've been a drop fit.

Basically, right now, I just have the action fitted to the stock, but it's not bedded yet. I have a pretty tight fit going, aside from the gaping hole behind the trigger guard.

The long and short of this is that I would never do business with American Gunstock again. **** poor customer service and poor quality. Seeing as how they do a lot of mauser stocks, which are way more hassle to inlet, there is no way I would trust them to get me a properly done stock of any sort.

Poor service, poor workmanship. The taurus of gunstocks...lol

Sarco had 30-06 stocks on hand for around 70 bucks or so but I was told that you have to modify stuff to get them to fit my 8mm mauser model so I just ordered the stock new.

Like I said, I'd scan ebay and gunbroker and be patient until you can find an original. It'll be worth the wait, and as I said, you'd wait 12 weeks for your stock from American Gunstock anyhow, as nobody else produces a stock for these nowadays.

Tamara
December 23, 2008, 11:10 AM
Dang. :(

At least you saved me money, which is your good deed for the day! :)

VonFireball
December 23, 2008, 11:36 AM
At least you saved me money, which is your good deed for the day!

It was my pleasure.

Just keep your eyes peeled and search ebay and gunbroker every now and again. One will turn up, they always do.;)

Tamara
December 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
I should note that an FN-49 in 7x57 is on my "Dream Guns" list...

VonFireball
December 23, 2008, 02:51 PM
I should note that an FN-49 in 7x57 is on my "Dream Guns" list...

I kinda like the Argentine navy models with the detachable magazine, though, they are chambered for 7.62 which is a dog by comparison.

I also like the sniper versions, which, if I remember correctly, are 30-06 Luxembourg contract versions. They go for a pretty good chunk of change though.

Webleymkv
December 23, 2008, 08:02 PM
I paid $900 for my non-sniper Luxembourg with matching bayonet a couple years ago. Looking around, that seems to be the going rate for a 30-06.

VonFireball
December 24, 2008, 10:25 AM
I paid $900 for my non-sniper Luxembourg with matching bayonet a couple years ago. Looking around, that seems to be the going rate for a 30-06.

Yeah, I would say $900 was a fair deal, especially with the matching bayonet. These guns are easily worth the price. Kinda makes other battle rifles outside of the garand seem kind of cheap and pathetic.

Last time I saw a sniper version I think it was going for around $1,300 or about the same price as the Argentine Navy detachable magazine model. Once in a while you can find a little better deal though.

If you'll notice, the sniper scope and scope mount go for better than $700 which in my book, makes the sniper model at $1,300 a pretty smart buy.

Ain't that many of these awesome rifles around. Too bad really:(

Webleymkv
December 24, 2008, 10:38 AM
I had a chance at a lightly bubba'd 7x57 model for $600 the same day I bought my 30-06, but I passed based on both the mods and ammo availability.

claymore1500
December 24, 2008, 11:40 AM
In my opinion,(and worth every penny you paid for it) the Fn49 is a much better rifle design than the garand due to the following, 10 rounds instead of 8,can be loaded with strippers or loose rounds(no need to wait until it is empty to reload) the bolt can be locked back with a button, (No "M1 thumb" problem), the reciever is machined from a solid bar of steel, 8MM round is just a little more powerful than 30.06,(not that the dead guy is going to care), can be stripped for cleaning From the rear (breech) in seconds, select fire was an option, although I am not sure why anyone would want to go that route, It's better looking,(again, my opinion)

The biggest problem with them, and it kept them off the battle field for the most part, was manufacturing cost was very high.

I bought an egyptian contract FN49, some time around the end of the Reagan administration, regretably just after he signed the machine gun ban, I could have aquired the full auto kit, but they disappeared before I got the rifle.

I got mine at a gun show in Ohio, and believe it or not, back then they were cheap, mine was $219.00 with matching #'s and bayonet. arsenal refurb, with new wood, And now for the gratuitus pictures:D

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/claymore1500/DSCN0028.jpg

http://i443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/claymore1500/DSCN0088.jpg

Tamara
December 24, 2008, 11:57 AM
...arsenal refurb, with new wood...

For the record, I hate you. :D

VonFireball
December 24, 2008, 12:02 PM
In my opinion,(and worth every penny you paid for it) the Fn49 is a much better rifle design than the garand due to the following, 10 rounds instead of 8,can be loaded with strippers or loose rounds(no need to wait until it is empty to reload) the bolt can be locked back with a button, (No "M1 thumb" problem), the reciever is machined from a solid bar of steel, 8MM round is just a little more powerful than 30.06,(not that the dead guy is going to care), can be stripped for cleaning From the rear (breech) in seconds, select fire was an option, although I am not sure why anyone would want to go that route, It's better looking,(again, my opinion)

I pretty well agree with you on all that.

I don't think the FN 49 is capable of the pinpoint accuracy though, due to it's tilting bolt design, not that it matters in a battle rifle.

Are you sure select fire was an option? I thought the full name for this rifle was "SAFN-49" or "semi automatic fabrique nationale-1949".

I paid $350 for my barreled action, and $300 for the stock (the big ripoff) from American Gunstock (we won't be doing business again).

I even bought a brand new barrel from Sarco for about $55.00 just to have a spare laying about (the barrel that it has already is in excellent condition). I did it "just cause.":)

Wonder how much longer they'll be available at that price.

claymore1500
December 24, 2008, 12:21 PM
Numrich "LISTS" some of the full auto parts, but they are Not availiable, Shotgun news, durring the Reagan admin. and before sold the complete conversion kit for under $50.00.

Also, full auto parts are listed in the field manual.

Calfed
December 24, 2008, 12:31 PM
I've got two Egyptian FN 49's. One that is an arsenal refurb that I got last year for $600-which is supposed to have the "sniper scope milling" on the right side (I have no idea what that is)

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/FN49-1.jpg

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/FN49-2.jpg

And another that I got recently at an auction for $575 and that I'm still waiting to receive-these are the auction site pics

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/FN-49.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/FN-49a.jpg
http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/FN-49b.jpg

I got a couple of extra barrels, extractors and springs too--for the same reason you did, Fireball

VonFireball
December 24, 2008, 12:38 PM
I got a couple of extra barrels, extractors and springs too--for the same reason you did, Fireball

I should grab a couple spare firing pins to, as that is supposedly the weakest part of the action.

I was wondering, I don't see many flash hiders like the one that is on my rifle on to many others. Is that some sort of aftermarket thing? I have a friend with an FN-49 and his has it, but most of the ones I see listed on Gunbroker don't have it. Anyone know what the deal is?

claymore1500
December 24, 2008, 12:48 PM
The area on your reciever (left side, rear) there are two screws just below the reciever cover, the holes and the groove in the reciever in that area is where the sniper scope mount attached, although your wood is not cut for the mount.

Webleymkv
December 24, 2008, 12:50 PM
The only FN-49's I've ever seen with flash hiders are the Venezuelan 7x57's. Numrich does have a clamp-on grenade launcher that fits 30-06 models I think.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=52440

Finally, M14 10-round stripper clips work great with a 30-06 model.

claymore1500
December 24, 2008, 12:53 PM
If you look at the pics of "Calfed's rifle, notice the muzzle, it has the standard muzzle cap/guard the rifle was issued with, It screws off and can be replaced with a flash hider or grenade launcher, The muzzle cap/guard had to be in place to mount the bayonet.

VonFireball
December 24, 2008, 12:58 PM
The only FN-49's I've ever seen with flash hiders are the Venezuelan 7x57's.

Hmmmm, mine's an 8mm mauser version.

Finally, M14 10-round stripper clips work great with a 30-06 model.

I wonder if those would work for the 8mm mauser seeing as how you can make the brass from 30-06 casings....hmmmm...lol

claymore1500
December 24, 2008, 01:04 PM
Check out www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm there you can download the manual for the FN49, Among others

Calfed
December 24, 2008, 01:08 PM
here's a better pic of the muzzle from the auction site

http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s194/Calfed/FN-49c.jpg

Webleymkv
December 24, 2008, 01:16 PM
I wonder if those would work for the 8mm mauser seeing as how you can make the brass from 30-06 casings....hmmmm...lol

Only one way to find out

http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd.asp?chrProductSKU=931390&chrSuperSKU=&MC=

SemperFly
December 24, 2008, 03:39 PM
My dad has been aching to get one in 8mm but I couldn't find a decent one before Christmas.

Where's a good place to get a FN-49 in 8mm? Does anybody have the barreled receivers or is it mostly luck of the draw to find one at a gun show or on the auction sites?

Tamara
December 24, 2008, 04:01 PM
Mine has some sort of muzzle gizmo on it that looks like an M-14 flash hider...

RangeRover
December 24, 2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for starting the thread/owner's room. I'm a huge fan of the FN49, and have been since I saw it profiled in vintage magazine. It looks like it means business and I finally got my hands on one a year ago. 8mm Egyptian contract - a late production three-swivel with the scope dovetail cut. (see pix).

It's great fun at the range. I'm running a bunch of steel-cased Romanian surplus through it these days, though not right now because it's -30 outside. Corrosive, so need to spend some time cleaning up afterwards, but it's nice not having to chase brass (or in this case steel) too far once you get the gas system set up.

They're popular here in Canada too. It's funny but there were a few of them floating around for sale a year or so ago, but they don't seem to come up all that often any more.

I look forward to hearing how well yours works when you've got it done. It looks like you've done nice work.

Webleymkv
December 25, 2008, 10:25 PM
Where's a good place to get a FN-49 in 8mm? Does anybody have the barreled receivers or is it mostly luck of the draw to find one at a gun show or on the auction sites?

You're pretty much just luck of the draw finding one. Seems like every few years a few will trickle in from some part of the world, but there's usually not many and they usually don't last long. Last ones I remember seeing in any quantity were some Argentine Navies in .308 that SOG had a few years ago. Egyptian 8mm's seem to be the most common followed by 30-06's (usually Luxembourg) with .308's and 7mm tied in distant third and Argentine 7.65 Mausers in very distant fourth.

claymore1500
December 27, 2008, 06:19 PM
Do you mean to tell me that of all the members on TFL, there are only 6 of us that own an FN49, ain't we an ELITE little club.

Honestly, I didn't think they were that hard to come by, or they just that undesireable. (I don't think so)

Come on all you FN49 owners (you know who you are) let's get with the program. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

Webleymkv
December 28, 2008, 05:01 PM
Do you mean to tell me that of all the members on TFL, there are only 6 of us that own an FN49, ain't we an ELITE little club.

Honestly, I didn't think they were that hard to come by, or they just that undesireable. (I don't think so)

Well, I'll tell you this, the two most common comments I get about mine while at the range are "FN what?" and "Is that a Garand?"

Daren Thompson
December 28, 2008, 06:22 PM
I too own an FN-49 . The Argie Navy in .308 with detachable mag. I have only fired mine once, just to make sure it went bang. I bought it just before I went to Iraq and still do not have all my guns at the house. When the wife and I get a house built with gun vault I will let ya know how she shoots.

VonFireball
December 29, 2008, 09:45 PM
I too own an FN-49 . The Argie Navy in .308 with detachable mag. I have only fired mine once, just to make sure it went bang.

I'm pretty sure Sarco still has mags for those. I think they were about 75 each, but they ain't gonna be available forever.

I don't suppose you'd post a picture of that thing, would you? I'm kind of hoping one of the Argentine navy guys and one of the Luxembourg sniper guys will throw some pics in of those even rarer FN-49 rifles.

Webleymkv
January 1, 2009, 10:38 PM
I'm kind of hoping one of the Argentine navy guys and one of the Luxembourg sniper guys will throw some pics in of those even rarer FN-49 rifles.

Not a very good pic, but here's my Luxembourg '06

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u34/Webleymkv/Picture-1.jpg

VonFireball
January 11, 2009, 09:31 PM
Figured I'd throw this out there for FN-49 fans.

Right now, S.O.G (southern ohio gun) has FN-49's for sale. They are the Argentine Navy models. They don't include the detachable magazine and are missing minor parts here and there but otherwise just need a bit of routine care and TLC.

Magazines can be had through Sarco.

The gun is going for $749.99 dealer cost, so don't let your local FFL jack you to hard. Now you got the hard facts on the price. Stick it to em.;)

I figure that ain't a bad deal overall. I've seen complete good to very good condition Argentine Navy models go for substantially more than $1,000 on a fairly routine basis, some even reaching $1,300 or so.

Thought I saw an Argentine Navy on gunbroker recently for about a grand.

FN-49's are sweet. If more people had them they'd realize just how badly they are getting the shaft on modern stuff in comparison. Then again, FN always makes some pretty good stuff.

Heck, it beats paying 9 g's for a SCAR.....lol

HKuser
January 12, 2009, 11:24 AM
Right now, S.O.G (southern ohio gun) has FN-49's for sale. They are the Argentine Navy models. They don't include the detachable magazine and are missing minor parts here and there but otherwise just need a bit of routine care and TLC.

I searched SOGs catalog for them but nothing turned up, except that they have .308 FN-49 mags for $39.95.

Mike Irwin
January 12, 2009, 12:00 PM
Saw one of these at my local gunshop over the weekend. First one I've seen in years, and the only one I have ever seen in 7x57 Mauser (I believe most of them went to the Colombian military).

$900 was the asking consignment price.

VonFireball
January 12, 2009, 07:59 PM
I searched SOGs catalog for them but nothing turned up, except that they have .308 FN-49 mags for $39.95.

I just saw it in their most recent flyer. I imagine if you give them a call they could let you know if they are still in stock. I doubt they flew away that fast, then again, with the way things have been going, they might've.

I'd score one but I've been sinking money into an FAL as my most recent project and I'm pretty well tapped cashwise.

Daren Thompson
January 12, 2009, 09:34 PM
Von I would give you a pic of my rifle, but it is at the in-laws house. I am in the process of building a house so I do not have my guns here. Plus I am not real computer savy, but I might be able to get the wife to do it. As best I remember SOG rated my gun in excelent condition with a bayonet and spare mag. I want to say I gave $650-$700 for it 4-5 years ago.

Webleymkv
January 13, 2009, 04:06 PM
Saw one of these at my local gunshop over the weekend. First one I've seen in years, and the only one I have ever seen in 7x57 Mauser (I believe most of them went to the Colombian military).

7x57 was used by Venezuela, Columbia used 30-06.

slabsides
January 21, 2009, 09:47 PM
Back in 1973 or thereabouts, I paid $79.95 for an NRA Excellent Venezuelan 7mm M49.
It had a very light colored stock...maybe not walnut, which I darkened a bit with BLO.
The metal was finished in black enamel, except for the sights and magazine which were blued. It had a compensator/flash hider.
The gun was an accuracy monster, and shot wonderfully (bore was pristine.)
I was reloading back then with the little Lee kit in a box...hard to do with a semi-auto
action. Many's the round I had to yank on the bolt to get out of the chamber. Once my hand slipped. I got a nice long gash on my thumb knuckle. Scar is still there. The 49 has LOTS of sharp corners!
I had it one day at a gravel pit, shooting targets, when a Maine Game Warden came barrelling into the pit, and wanted me to show him my 'machine gun'....lol. He'd obviously been lurking and spying with binoculars on me, shooting on a Sunday. (Legal.)
I had the gas piston turned off, using the gun as a single shooter, because I didn't feature chasing cases all over the place. Frustrated the poor minion of the law..he was sure he had a real bad machine-gunner case to bring to court. His face fell when I demonstrated the semi-auto function of the piece. He also asked me if I'd shot at '...those geese'. There weren't any geese around. Poor guy. Couldn't make a Sunday hunting charge stick either.
Sometime in 1979, I traded the rifle for a new-in-the-box Colt Cobra.
Join me in singing that old refrain: "If only I'da kept it...."
There are many similar sad stories I could tell, of guns that came...and went....

m.p.driver
January 28, 2009, 12:34 PM
Take a trip down memory lane to 1989,where you had a choice of a Hakim or a FN-49 for $79,i still have mine.

Trebor
January 28, 2009, 04:23 PM
I have an 8mm Egyptian I got from a buddy in a trade. I gave him a Winchester CMP Garand and he gave me the FN 49, a new spare barrel and $300 cash. I have other Garands, so i figured "Why not?"

I still haven't shot it yet. He said it "Wasn't accurate at all" which is why he bought the spare barrel. I plan to try it with some known good commercial ammo to see how it shoots and if it really does have problems then rebarrel it with the new spare. I just don't want to test it with unknown quality mil-surp ammo until I know if it's a shooter or not.

Mine's a nice looking rifle, but not as nice as the one pic in this thread of the refurbished gun.

TEDDY
February 7, 2009, 05:16 PM
I got mine from century in VT.$129 with the battle scars that Tamara has.all kinds of wood inserts.I have the thread protector,has the flash hider got long slots?? I have one and the grenade launcher.and extra barrel.
while I like it and it is accurate it is not as good as the garand.any one that says the garand with out the clip is a single shot has not a clue.the ammo always came with clips,just as machine gun ammo came on belts.if you know how to load an M1 you won't get the thumb.and thats why I like carcanos, and com.88s.the clip load is far faster.:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Huey Long
February 7, 2009, 07:10 PM
The FN-49 is a much-overlooked gem. IMO, it's the best deal going for those who want a military-patten rifle and live in states with AWBs like Commiefornia.

mbwarner
March 1, 2009, 05:08 PM
I recently acquired a Venezuela Fn49 7 x 57 in excellent condition, except it's missing the flash hider. It has the threaded cap in place, that seems to match the rifle.

Three questions I have that perhaps you can answer--
1. Are any Venezuela contract rifles known to have been delivered without the flash hider?
2. Where can I obtain an appearance-correct flash hider?
3. All part numbers match, except that the bolt carrier is not numbered. Is this correct, or is it a replacement bolt carrier?

RustyShackleford
March 2, 2009, 03:39 PM
I HAD the Egyptian 8mm up until about a year ago.... I remember buying it on gunbroker of all places about 3 years ago for 450.00. I sold it for somewhere around 800, I sure wish I would have held onto it... damn fine rifle, but i was in dire need of money and sold it:( As far as I have noticed around here there is absolutely no market for them... we had one sit in a local gun shop for a year priced at 750.00. I usually see an average of 1 of them at every gunshow that I go to and a majority of them never get sold. I don't think people know what they are missing out on. The only thing I disliked about it (this was before I started handloading) was having to clean out the gas system after every outing because of the lack of cheap non-corrosive ammo. Now I'd probably give a finger or maybe a small toe to have that "problem" again.... sigh

claymore1500
March 2, 2009, 07:31 PM
3. All part numbers match, except that the bolt carrier is not numbered. Is this correct, or is it a replacement bolt carrier?

The one I have is the same, ie; no numbers on the bolt carrier, as far as the flash hider, you might want to ask about that on "Paralax bill's" website, they deal with almost nothing but milsurp guns, and there are a lot of very knolageable people on that site.

http://parallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums.yuku.com/directory

Colt 1967
March 27, 2009, 08:33 AM
I have an FN 49 Stock with the front band buttplate assy and cleaning stuff goes in the trapdoor I am not very familiar with these rifles I believe this is the 30-06 long length it looks to have been glass bedded ? it is in very nice condition I am not sure of its value but I don't have a need for it LMk if interested thanks Colt 1967

TEDDY
April 7, 2009, 11:58 AM
I just tried an M14 charger it does not fit my 8mm.I do have a charger that works,it has two tits in the middle and is chromed.have no idea what it was for.would like to know.I have turkish,mauser 91/93? and 98.my gun is a battle scared vet but shoots good and I have a new barrel in the wings for it.:rolleyes:;):eek:

deadcoyote
May 13, 2009, 07:20 PM
Two different guys at my gun club are selling FN 49's. One is in 8mm, arsenal refinished, for $450. The other is in 30-06, excellent original condition for $500. I've always wanted one but the only one I had seen was at a local pawn shop 5 years ago for $900. I might just buy both.

j-framer
May 13, 2009, 08:33 PM
Does anybody here have this book?

http://www.fn-browning.com/fn-49_the_last_elegant_old_world_military_rifle_book.htm

Webleymkv
May 13, 2009, 09:43 PM
Two different guys at my gun club are selling FN 49's. One is in 8mm, arsenal refinished, for $450. The other is in 30-06, excellent original condition for $500. I've always wanted one but the only one I had seen was at a local pawn shop 5 years ago for $900. I might just buy both.

$450 is a fair price for an Egyptian 8mm, not fantastic but fair. $500 is an excellent price for a 30-06. I paid $900 for my Luxembourg '06 a few years ago and that seems to be about the going rate.

RangeRover
May 21, 2009, 11:12 PM
Hey J-Framer.

I have Wayne's book and refer to it all the time. It's a must-have for fans of the FN-49 in my view. I only have one of the rifles, an Egyptian in 8mm, and the book has made me smarter about that rifle and about the other ones I'd love to have some day.:D

Get the book.

Oldsargemedic
June 18, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'm happy to be part of this elite club. I own 4 FN-49's, 2 in 7x57 and 2 in 8x57, all in nice condition and good shooters. They have their good points just as the Garand does but the FN-49 doesn't have the M-1's battle record. I have 2 M-1's, one in .308 and a 30-06. I would not want to be on the receiving end of either. I do not know if anyone is aware of this but SPRINGFIELD SPORTERS, INC. has an extensive list of spare and replacement parts for the FN-49. It is difficult to find a gunsmith who is up to speed on the FN-49. I found that out when I needed some adjustments on the gas tube of one of my 7mm's. It was literally ripping the brass casings out of the chamber. It is fixed now. Oh, Northridge International has bayonets and frogs for the FN-49. I got canvas M-1 slings from Cheaper than Dirt that clip right on the swivels. Y'all take a look if you need some goodies for your weapons.

Erfurter1937
September 5, 2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks Oldsargemedic for the Springfield Sporters info.

Glad to be part of this group, looking for a decent 8mm Egyptian that will take some time to track down.

rocinante
September 14, 2009, 04:59 PM
New kid in the room. Just won on gunbroker for an Egyptian. Has the century stock but the word is it has been strictly a safe queen. She is coming out of retirement with me. Case of yugo m75 just waiting on her.

I'll be back :)

p99guy
September 14, 2009, 11:07 PM
I have been wanting a FN49 for a while, a Luxembourg 30-06 one, but it seems everytime a good one comes up on gunbroker, I have recently spent on something else- depleating the fun money .:( One day I shall have one. Till then I look longingly at the Book.

Erfurter1937
September 15, 2009, 07:32 AM
They are showing up on gunbroker maybe 1-2 a week, they want a lot of loot for the Luxembourg and the ammo is pretty darn expensive now at Sportmans Guide. Takes all the fun out of shooting. If anyone has found a place for cheap 30-06 ammo that is decent please let us know. Thanks

Webleymkv
September 15, 2009, 09:20 PM
If anyone has found a place for cheap 30-06 ammo that is decent please let us know. Thanks

Outside of the CMP, AIM has about the cheapest 30-06 that I'd shoot out of my Luxembourg FN-49.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/acatalog/30_06.html

The nice thing about these rifles in 30-06 is that unlike the Garand, the adjustable gas system allows them to work well with both M2 Ball and Commercially loaded ammo.

Radio Flyer
September 30, 2009, 10:13 PM
Argentine FN49 in .308, the most accurate semi-auto surplus rifle I have ever owned.

http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa244/RadioFlyerphotos/100_0265.jpg

Currently working on a duplicate stock to keep the original from more damage (arsenal repairs).

Desertfox01
October 9, 2009, 08:34 PM
Figured this would be a good spot for my First post. I have a FN 49 in 8mm (thank god it is not one that CIA touched). it is in great condition. It came with 1200 rounds of Crap ammo that has bad primers (90% failure rate).....So I took up the challenge to keep this rifle shooting. I have been Forming 30-06 brass into 8mm brass and using the powder and bullets from the surplus. this is working great so far. I also picked up a 308 version for my boss, who has yet to shoot his.

viale_109
November 7, 2009, 08:53 AM
I will have an Egyptian FN-49 by the end of the week. I just hope that the same thing doesn't occur with FN-49s that occurred with Garands, 1903s, and FALs.:p

Parapliers
November 7, 2009, 11:25 AM
Had a 7X57 when I was a teen ager. I believe it was Venezuelan with compensator/flash hider. Shot like a .22lr. Everyone liked it but good cheap ammo was hard to come by so I traded it. There was cheap 7mm but it was not good.
Had the same trouble later with a mauser short rifle that I liked. Only ammo I could find was from the 1920s and was fmj round nose with many misfires and tumbling flyers when they did. There were some yellow burning tracers in one bunch I got that were not marked. That was an unpleasant surprise. Seems like there is more 7X57 available now but I am off that band wagon.

claymore1500
November 7, 2009, 02:51 PM
I just hope that the same thing doesn't occur with FN-49s that occurred with Garands, 1903s, and FALs.

And, That would be?

Just curious.

viale_109
November 7, 2009, 11:54 PM
What would that be? They multiplied in the gun safe (as if by magic).

claymore1500
November 8, 2009, 03:21 PM
Oh, I get it, I don't really have that problem due to the fact that I have yet to figure out how to get my money to multiply as if by magic.

wamin
November 12, 2009, 09:10 PM
I have been collecting these for awhile. Here's a pic
7mm Ven
30/06 Lux
308 Arg
8mm Egyptian
30/06 Colombian

I put HK flash hiders on the 30 cals as is and one on the 8mm bored a little

Someone had enquired about the FN49 book, I have it also. If there's something someone wants to reference, let me know via PM.

viale_109
November 13, 2009, 07:53 PM
Do any of you reload for your Egyptian FN 49s? If so, have you worked up an 8 x 57 load with the PRVI 198gr FMJBT ?

dapenko
November 24, 2009, 01:48 PM
Hey guys...How much is a FN-49 in the rare 6.5X55 worth? From what I have read there were only 5 or so of these ever produced... :D

Fuenteguy
November 24, 2009, 06:04 PM
Are you talking about the one listed on Proxibid?

I almost bid on that one until I did my homework and common sense kicked in. I seriously doubt it was an original 6.5x55 and based on the sale price I don't think anyone else believed it was the real deal either. Only 5 - 6.5x55's were ever made and they were all delivered to the Swiss so they would most likely be in much better shape then the one listed which was in so so condition with only 50% black paint and 80% finish left. My guess is it's a 7mm Venezuelan.

BTW, the same company also auctioned lot # 227 which they claimed was a genuine Smith & Wesson Model-13 Aircrewman. A real S&W M-13 Aircrewman would sell for $4000-5000. Their gun only sold for $705.00.

Think about it, what are the chances a company would be auctioning 2 holy grails in one auction with no reserves on either.

dapenko
November 24, 2009, 06:25 PM
Auction houses sell guns that are "missed" by the so-called experts all the time as I've bought a cpl myself that ended up being worth 3X what I paid for them...

dapenko
November 24, 2009, 06:50 PM
BTW, yes, I did purchase the rifle and here's why...IF it's not what it's advertised as being I end up with a nice shooting rifle, or I sell it locally for what I have in it..BUT..if it happens to be what is advertised, then I'm laughing my ass off...so it's a win-win for me! :p

surplusart
December 1, 2009, 11:35 AM
New to this Forum, but own a couple of FN rifles and think they are awesome! Was going to buy one of these:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/SKM2065-34.html

Anyone had any experience with this mount? Thanks for any info!

Elbalawyer
December 1, 2009, 09:43 PM
I am brand new to forum. Have Egytian FN49. Have heard that you can create detachable mags. Does anyone know where directions are, or can rifle be legally converted to accept a detachable mag like the South American ones?

wamin
December 25, 2009, 10:31 AM
Can you post pics of your 6.5x55? Would love to see the crest on the receiver.

wamin
December 25, 2009, 10:36 AM
They vary in price, with the low end being the receiver builds by century to the intact original contract rifles.

Do you have any pics to post?

You can via the message box, just look at the icons on the top and mouse over them. The one that is yellow and looks like a pic of a mountain will allow you to add a pic

Tamara
December 25, 2009, 12:27 PM
Have Egytian FN49. Have heard that you can create detachable mags. Does anyone know where directions are, or can rifle be legally converted to accept a detachable mag like the South American ones?

Going to a detachable mag on a gun that didn't have one might cause you to run afoul of U.S.C. 922(r): (b) A semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—

(1) A folding or telescoping stock,

(2) A pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon,

(3) A bayonet mount,

(4) A flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor, and

(5) A grenade launcher; (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=a5193b20d0fcc546d314f45225c4f025&rgn=div8&view=text&node=27:3.0.1.2.3.2.1.1&idno=27)
Since the rifle already has a threaded muzzle and a bayonet lug, if you add a detachable magazine... voila! ...you have magically created an illegal imported "assault weapon". :o

Grollen
January 3, 2010, 11:46 AM
Hi,

Been also the proud owner of a Belgium SAFN in a perfect condition.

I think it was never fired before I found this one in in a gunstore.
But I am not a real collector , I like to shoot them.:D

Also a picture of a part of my milsurp collection.:)

Greetings,

G. Rollen

Data
March 1, 2010, 07:33 PM
Hi guys. Sorry to bump such an old thread.

I recently inherited an FN49 chambered in ".30" (I understand that means 30-06), serial number 273x. I wasn't given any history behind the weapon. Can anyone share any details on the identifying markings I should look for, and what they mean?

Thanks. Finding reliable info on the web is proving very difficult. :(

p99guy
March 3, 2010, 05:10 PM
Does it have "AL" stampted over the chamber area? If it does it came from Luxemborg. take pics if you can of the major markings and I have a FN49 book that I can look at,get you a little bit more on your rifle

Data
March 3, 2010, 07:34 PM
Yes, it does have an AL stamped on the top in an elaborate font.

I'll upload some photos. Thanks p99guy.

p99guy
March 3, 2010, 08:07 PM
welcome, there is quite a bit of documentation on the Luxemborg rifles thankfully.
this the book I have, and I recommend it highly to any owner.

http://www.amazon.com/FN-49-Elegant-Old-World-Military-Rifle/dp/0970799721/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1267664727&sr=8-1

Bongo Boy
March 16, 2010, 11:40 PM
I'm happy to have found this thread--maybe you guys can give me some advice. I'm fortunate enough to have a Luxembourg model, and am the only person to have owned the rifle since its import into the US. I think I got the gun ca. 1967 or so.

The bore is in mint condition and most of the gun is in what I'd call very good condition. The finish is the only think that takes away something, and the stock, while in excellent shape, doesn't appear to be a very nice wood.

So, there's the predictable 'what would you do' question. If you were to keep the rifle would you refinish it, and if so, who could do a credible job given the existing finish (whatever it is). I'd certainly like to see it in a near-black matter Parkerized type finish. One would only refinish if they knew they'd never want to sell it, correct? Is there anyone known to specialize in refinishing these rifles (as opposed to a guy with a can of GunKote in his garage)?

Here are some shots to provide some idea of the condition, if that helps:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/RifleProfileRight02.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/ReceiverRH2Close.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/ButtPlateClose.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/BreechLeftClosed.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/ForearmRHTypical.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/MuzzleRHClose.jpg

Should I just leave it alone as far refinishing, and is there anywhere that provides finished walnut stock sets? This gun is all-original, so I'd be more likely to sell it than to try to turn it into something it isn't, but I'm also not a collector so having a pro do a superb restoration job wouldn't bother me much.

Opinions?

olyinaz
March 17, 2010, 11:19 AM
Leave it alone. It's a milsurp in honest condition today but it'll never be that again if it's refinished. I'd rather see you sell it and get something you're more interested in at this time than refinish it.

Regards,
Oly

femurphy77
March 26, 2010, 09:18 AM
I've read several, not all of the posts in this thread and it sounds like I'm in the right place. I "discovered" FN-49s at my last gun show and immediately added it to "the list". I was thinking of getting one of the .30-06 variants as I have a couple of Garands and a 1917 Eddystone Enfield with an Elmer Keith cartouche and figured why bother with a different cartridge. Anyway basically a couple of questions I have would be what should I look for? Is there a pecking order of desireability? Is there a good reason to go with a non .30-06 variant, cheaper ammo perhaps? Sorry for the vague newb questions but I like hearing been there done that experience. TIA

tshadow6
March 29, 2010, 07:55 PM
I want a FN 49 so bad I can taste it. Is there any chance anymore FN 49s will be coming in to the USA? I think the FN 49 is the most elegant semi-auto rifle made. I might buy a Garand, just because it costs just as much as a FN 49. Oh, I also want an AR 15. Decisions, decisions.....

cheepertokeeper
April 4, 2010, 08:58 PM
Hope I'm on on the right forum. I picked up an FN49 at a farm auction this weekend. Price was right, others there shopping for farm implements. What I have is a nice looking FN49. I think. Advertised as WW11 30-06 semi-auto. Heres the issue. Tangent sight in Arabic? Crown on top front of reciever. 30836?? after the Fabrique.... on right side. Mag follower has a 7, then very faint something, 6 or 9? Rifle is nicely blued. Has a left handed walnut monte carlo stock. Rest of stock, handguards appear "normal". Not sporterized, full length barrel, bayonet lug, correct front sight. I think. Thats OK, been shopping for a lefty deer gun forever. Some Arabic scrip on front right of reciever. Last bad thing. I tried to cycle some dummy Garand ammo thru it. Last round is jammed in chamber, cant retract bolt. Stopped before I do any damage. Anyone know what I have? Could get some pix up if that would help.
Thanks, Cheepertokeeper

Webleymkv
April 4, 2010, 09:49 PM
Sounds like you have an Egyptian contract gun as those are the only ones I know of with Arabic markings. Your .30-06 dummy round most likely got stuck because your rifle is not chambered in 30-06. Egyptian guns were chambered for 8x57 Mauser. If you're wanting to use it as a deer rifle, 8mm Mauser JSP ammo is available from Winchester, Remington, and Federal but it is severely downloaded (ballistic equivalent of a 30-30 Winchester). If you want full-power ammo that is more in line with a 30-06, you need to get imported stuff like S&B, Prvi Partizan, Wolf Gold (repackaged Prvi Partizan), or Norma.

For practice, there's a lot of military surplus 8mm ammo out there at very reasonable prices. The only issue with this is that much of it has corrosive primers, so clean your gun thoroughly after shooting surplus ammo.

One nice thing about the FN-49 is that it has an adjustable gas system which can be taylored to the power of the ammunition you're using.

cheepertokeeper
April 5, 2010, 12:58 AM
Thanks Webley. Now I'm a bit miffed, being told it was a 30- 06. I know buyer beware. Got there late, no time to inspect. Is rebarreling a viable option? Would like to limit my calibers, though already have a Mauser and some zippy 8 mm milsurp. Corrosive:( Now the 2000 rnds of 8mm on strippers in bandoleers at auction adds up. That was food for the FN. Couda wouda shouda snapped it up for $95, but do not like using corrosive. Will search for barrel, .308 or 06 and start reloading 8mm in meantime. So to confirm; 7.92 Egyptian is 8 Mauser? One more thing, what is that slide, behind bolt handle, rear of reciever? Gas adjust? Thanks, CTK

Webleymkv
April 5, 2010, 11:31 AM
In my opinion, rebarreling to a different caliber isn't worth the trouble. 8mm Mauser is very similar ballistically to 30-06 and I doubt that anything you shoot with either one would know the difference. Also, 8mm surplus ammunition is very inexpensive while 30-06 surplus is becoming scarcer and more expensive all the time. Good quality JSP 8mm Mauser isn't significantly more expensive than comparable 30-06. In my mind, the only thing rebarreling would accomplish would be ruining the collector value of the rifle.

Also, there are only three 7.92 cartridges that I am aware of. The first is 7.92x57J Mauser which is the same thing as 8x57J Mauser. The next is 7.92x57JS Mauser which is the same as 8x57JS Mauser. The difference between the J and JS cartridges is the bullet diameter as the J uses a .318 bullet while the JS uses a .323 bullet. The J round is obsolete and hasn't been chambered in a military rifle since the 1890's though there were some commercial sporting rifles chambered in it made well into the 20th century. The third 7.92 cartridge is 7.92x33 Kurz which, as far as I know, was only ever chambered in the MP-44 assault rifle.

To my knowledge, Egypt never used 7.92x57J nor 7.92x33 Kurz in any of their weapons. The two 7.92mm semi-automatic rifles used by Egypt were the FN-49 and the Hakim. Rather than moving to the 7.92x33 Kurz as an intermediate round, Egypt chose instead to go with the 7.62x39 in the SKS, Rashid, and AK-47.

I wouldn't be too irritated with the seller as I doubt he knew fully what he had. Even amongst the gun and shooting community, the FN-49 isn't a particularly well-known rifle. It would be an easy mistake as most of the FN-49's made were indeed chambered in 30-06. Other calibers include 7x57 Mauser (Venezuela) and 7.65x53 Mauser (Argentina). The Argentine navy also later converted many of their 7.65mm rifles to 7.62x51 NATO so as to use the same ammunition as the FAL rifles used by the Argentine army.

Also, the slide behind the bolt handle is a dust cover. The gas system adjustment is a rotating collar that requires removal of the top handguard to access.

cheepertokeeper
April 6, 2010, 09:40 PM
Thanks again Webley. I agree, will stick with the 8 Mauser. Really a beautiful rifle and a good 8mm is more than enough for WI whitetails. Got the stuck 06 cartridge out, cleaned it up. Didn't need much. Am curious about that left handed Monte Carlo stock. And a good, shiny blueing, not stove black. Certainely a custom job, nicely done, but doesn't help collector value. Any "correct" stocks out there? Also, any advice on cleaning up a neglected barrel? Strong lands and grooves but unfortunately some corrosion? as well. Hoppes didn't do the trick. Have read elsewhere that rebarreling isn't to difficult on these pieces. Seller had an "expert" assess his goods. Easy mistake, no disapointment on my behalf. Elated really. Thanks.
CTK

Webleymkv
April 7, 2010, 09:17 AM
Sarco is probably about the best place around for FN-49 parts right now. Currently, they have brand new 8x57 barrels for $80.

http://e-sarcoinc.com/fn49.aspx

Also, check to see if your rifle has the older one-piece or the newer two-piece firing pin. If you've got the one-piece, I'd highly recommend replacing it with a two piece one. The reason is that the one-piece pins are somewhat prone to breakage and can cause slamfires when they do. Having an FN-49 go full-auto unexpectedly is not my idea of a good time. Numrich has two-piece pins.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=50450&catid=2154

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=50460&catid=2154

Both Sarco and Numrich have 30-06 stocks, but I don't know what (if anything) would be required to make them fit an 8mm.

cheepertokeeper
April 7, 2010, 05:04 PM
Thanks again Webley. Need help, should I start a new thread. Am I hijacking someones issues here? Junior member, lots to learn. OK, took FN to range today. Some Federal 8mm ammo. Light loads, right? 3 shots, surprizing accuracy, pleasure to shoot. Then 4th. FTE, cartridge mouth torn up. Piston not retracted. Worst, that lovely stock broke. Top, right behind reciever. Found one splinter 20ft, left and behind. Never found the other main "chunk". I saw no stress cracks whatsoever in cleaning, reassembling. My local smith won't touch it. Understandable, he is not familiar with these. Did I do something wrong on re-assembly. Or is there underlying problem. Real shame. Think some good woodwork can repair stock but I will not use again til this is resolved. I really like rifle this am bound and determined to get it back in shape. Got 7 months til deer season. Any advice, anyone? Thanks, CTK

Webleymkv
April 7, 2010, 08:38 PM
OK, the failure to eject sounds like your gas system isn't properly set up. Federal ammo is loaded very lightly when compared to surplus or imported commercial 8mm. If your gas system is set up for heavier loadings, then there probably isn't enough gas getting to the piston to reliably cycle the action.

To adjust the gas system, take off the top, front handguard. There is a spring-steel sleeve around the gas tube. Rotating this sleeve will move it back and forth either exposing or covering up a small hole in the top of the gas tube. For lighter loads, you want more of the tube covered (thusly bleeding off less gas) and for heavier loads, you want more exposed (thusly bleeding off more gas). The proper technique to adjust the gas system is as follows: expose the entire gas vent (the hole) and load two rounds into the magazine. Fire one round and if the action fails to cycle, turn the adjustment sleeve one click (covering more of the vent). Repeat this procedure until the action will cycle ejecting the spent round and feeding the next. Once you've got it running reliably with two rounds, load it with three and repeat the entire procedure. Keep doing this adding one round to the magazine until you can go through an entire mag reliably. Once you can load and fire all ten rounds reliably, replace the handguard and enjoy your rifle.

How badly is the stock broken? If it's just a small chunk of wood, your rifle is probably still shootable but if the action is now loose in the stock, you'll need to replace it. I doubt that the stock broke because of improper reassembly, it's not really all that complicated to remove and replace (at least my AL 30-06 isn't). More likely, the stock was weakened when it was modified (FN-49's didn't come with monte carlo stocks, particularly left-handed ones). Honestly, your best bet at this point would probably be to try a 30-06 stock as those seem to be the only ones widely available. Some minor fitting might be required (mainly the buttplate and hardware) but it shouldn't be too big a hassle.

cheepertokeeper
April 7, 2010, 09:38 PM
OK Webley. Was using Federal 170gr sp. I had left the gas adjust as found, at the 12 o clock? position Straight up. Now that I think of it the first couple were ejecting, more like "poopin", out next to me, on the bench, inches away. Assume the previous owner was using that old mil-surp. Likely much hotter fmj? Break is about 1/2" wide, 1" long, less than 1/4" deep, exposing left rear of reciever. If I had found the other piece I think I could do a good epoxy repair. I do have a "sliver" from left side that will go back almost seemless. If I can get it to hold. I scoured the range for that other piece. Tough to find in a pile of rusty spent cartridges. Also, piston spring seems a bit tired. But I don't know how it should feel. I will say barrel actually cleaned up pretty well after a couple shots. What do you think of those abrasive bullets, forget the name. Used for "cleaning" barrels. Maybe hone it? Or keep swabbing away. I will go back and check my torque on screws, but action seems tight in stock. Does this recoil against the stock inlet? Am concerned about that exposed reciever section. Good tip on Sarco.
Thank You Thank You CTK

Webleymkv
April 7, 2010, 11:01 PM
From what you're describing, I'd say the rifle is almost certainly set up to shoot surplus/imported ammo. When properly set up, your rifle should eject the spent cases at least a couple of feet away. Rather than messing with the gas-system adjustment (it really is kind of a pain), I would just try to get some surplus or imported ammo if I were you (more powerful and cheaper anyway). AIM has currently got 340 rounds of 1970's production 8mm ammo for $100 and it even comes packed on stripper clips (that's how your rifle was meant to be loaded).

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A8RS&groupid=42

The only caveat to using surplus ammo is to not, under any circumstances, shoot Turkish ammo in anything but a Mauser. Turk ammo is loaded very, very hot and is known to cause problems when fired in a semi-auto. Turk ammo is brass cased with silver-colored bullets (likely either nickel or mild steel jackets) and typically comes on brass stripper clips in 70-round green cloth bandoliers. Thankfully, most of the Turk 8mm ammo dried up several years ago and you don't see much of it anymore.

Any Eastern European ammo (Romanian and Yugoslavian seem to be the most common these days) should be just fine for your rifle. Likewise any imported commercial ammo like Wolf, Prvi Partizan, Norma, or S&B should also be fine for your gun.

As far as the stock goes, I don't see any reason not to try an epoxy repair. The damage sounds like it's mainly cosmetic and you're not going to hurt the gun any worse than it already is. Personally though, I'd still be looking for a replacement stock as I prefer these rifles in their original military configuration.

As far as the "cleaning bullets," I've heard of them before but never used them myself. I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor pitting in your bore as that is fairly common with Egyptian rifles (years of shooting corrosive ammo). So long as the rifle shoots well, I wouldn't worry about what the bore looks like. Personally, I'd just clean it normally with a good copper-removing solvent.

cheepertokeeper
April 8, 2010, 06:17 AM
That is interesting, as I previously stated there was a boatload of mil-surp ammo at the auction I bought rifle from. Silver tipped 8mm Mauser on strippers in bandoleers. I "let" a guy have it for $90. He gave me a couple loaded strippers. I will take a closer look at Sarco's stocks. Just so it could be returned to military configuration if I/someone so desired. Did not break bolt down, not sure of firing pin, but I will get a couple spares. When I did break it down I didn't/couldn't get trigger group out. Did not force it but it was in there really tight. I'll load some 8's up, start out light. I did read to use a moderately fast burning poowder. Do some experementing, find out what she likes. Have got some mil-surp on hand. From Sportmans guide. Corrosive, Berdan. Use that in my Mauser 98. Off to work, thanks again.
CTK

Webleymkv
April 8, 2010, 01:54 PM
This link has got info about the Turk 8mm ammo. The top picture in the link is of what you'll most commonly encounter (most of the stuff I've seen had 1930's headstamps). If you happen to get ahold of some of this stuff, I'd recommend shooting it in your Mauser (my younger brother's Yugo M48A has had several hundred rounds of Turk ammo shot through it with no ill effects) but don't shoot it in your FN-49. I've read and heard several reports of parts breakage when this ammo is shot in a non-bolt-action firearm such as an FN-49, G43, Hakim, or MG-42.

http://www.turkmauser.com/ammo.aspx

Bongo Boy
April 9, 2010, 09:52 AM
I've been advised by a potential buyer that my SAFN-48 'AL' is not an original Luxembourg contract rifle because the serial number is too low (4202), and that it is assembled from parts. How could I verify this and does anyone know, in more detail, what this means?

I know that both receiver parts bear the same serial number, that the AL crest on the receiver certainly doesn't appear to be anything but original (based on the appearance around the engraving and the overall uniform finish). I also know the rifle was imported in the mid- to late-sixties and I can't imagine anyone taking the time to cobble up a rifle at that time, since they weren't particularly prized or anything.

Comments or recommendations? I certainly don't want to be offering the rifle as an original Luxembourg if it clearly isn't, but everything about it, appearance-wise, suggests it's just a plain old Luxembourg.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x150/Bongo_Boy/SAFN-49/Breech1.jpg

Webleymkv
April 9, 2010, 10:21 AM
Either your potential buyer doesn't know what he's talking about, or he's trying to feed you a line of steer manure. A parts gun would still have both the "AL" marking and the serial number on the receiver. Unless the serial number or "AL" marking were purposely altered, the serial number wouldn't have any bearing on whether or not it's a parts gun. Also, there are many known Luxembourg contract rifles with serial numbers much lower than yours. My personal "AL" rifle has a serial number of 22xx and I've read of them as low as 19xx, so yours certainly isn't too low to be a Luxembourg contract. One note, both the receiver and receiver cover should have the same serial number stamped on the left side.

Just out of curiosity, did your potential buyer try to buy your rifle at a reduced price?:rolleyes:

johnfrit
April 9, 2010, 10:22 PM
I have a FN-49 in 8 m/m, Eqyptian contract. It is in excellent condition and I have shot it a lot with surplus 8 m/m. Broke the firing pin right away, and although it is a fun gun to shoot and fairly accurate it does not come close to the M1 Garand. The M1 is my favorite rifle and my first choice as a battle rifle. It is reliable, accurate and far less prone to break downs than the FN-49. It is also a natural point shooting gun. The only fault I can see in the M1 is the 8 round clip and the obvious noise when it is empty.

cheepertokeeper
April 10, 2010, 07:57 AM
Question about the left handed Egyptian again. I broke rifle down for stock repair, inspection. The reciever cover locking key would not budge. It took a mallet and elbow grease to turn. Upon removal I noticed the guide rod? under reciever cover was bent. The locking key retainer "washer" was peaned up against rear of cover making it very very difficult to rotate. It appears bolt slammed up against it so hard on that last shot that it mashed rear inside of cover. I carefully filed mashed retainer down, so I can now turn it. Is there any prescribed rear travel distance for bolt on firing? Is it the proper function to slam against reciever cover? Would anyone recommend a small "buffer" of sorts over the guide rod, snugged up against back of cover? Also is there supposed to be any recoil lug inletted in the stock? As is I can see this stock taking a real pounding after any prolonged use. And I wanna use it.
Thanks CTK

Webleymkv
April 11, 2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds to me like perhaps your recoil springs are weak. I'd replace the recoil springs and guide rod. Also make sure that your gas system is properly regulated for whatever type of ammo you're shooting. It is possible that one of the previous owners shot hotter ammo than what the rifle was set up for. The gun will function with heavily loaded ammo if the gas system is set up for light ammo, but you run a higher risk of peening the reciever (not to mention it will kick like a mule). When adjusting the gas system, you want to allow just enough gas to get to the piston to reliably cylce the action but no more.

Garrt
April 23, 2010, 11:20 AM
I am looking for two spare mags 308 Argt. FN-49 can anyone help me out,Garrt

44lover
May 8, 2010, 09:22 AM
I have an Egyptian contract in 8mm. What a honey of a rifle! I got mine from SOG. It was in the collector's corner, I paid way too much for the condition it's in, I'd say it is NRA Good. Don't know about Argentine mags. I do want to get a Luxemborg 30-06, and an Argentine .308. But they are real hard to budget for.

ron48
May 13, 2010, 06:59 PM
Hello, new here.
Was hoping that I could pick your more knowledgable brains for a sec.
I have an fn49 in 8mm and I was wanting to find a couple more mags and possibly a scope mount for it. Both seem to be a no go at this point. But was hoping that someone could give me some info on where I might find them.
Thanks, Ron

Braintrain
May 27, 2010, 03:44 AM
I have a chance to get one of these in 8mm for $400. The bore is pitted but the guy has a brand new barrel that goes with it , he just doesn't know how to put it on(neither do I). Is this a good deal??

claymore1500
May 29, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hello, new here.
Was hoping that I could pick your more knowledgable brains for a sec.
I have an fn49 in 8mm and I was wanting to find a couple more mags and possibly a scope mount for it. Both seem to be a no go at this point. But was hoping that someone could give me some info on where I might find them.
Thanks, Ron

S&k makes a scope mount for the gun $$$, Also I saw one in the "Cheaper than dirt" catalog (made by someone else, but I am not sure who). I am curious, as the egyptian 8mm mags cannot be loaded and stored, why are you looking for spares? I mean, It's your right to buy what ever you want, I'm just curious.

JustaNewb
August 16, 2010, 02:52 PM
Hello everyone. You guys seem to know your stuff, and I am a complete NEwb. (going hunting first time this year)

I have picked up a FN-49 from a friend. I got it to deer hunt...and just think its plain cool. It has AL stamped on it which is for Luxemburg...correct? Made in the 50's?
Well..it also has this flaming bomb symbol on it in front of the the number "1"....(pic)its serial number is in the 2000 range.

It has the letter "A" stamped near the far sight(pic), like where a bipod would attach.

I downloaded the owners manual (thank you for the link) but I want to make sure I know about it before I use the wrong ammo or something. I have a 30.06 correct?

It has a s&k scope mount on it.
Any other info you could give me would be very appreciated. I have learned a ton from you guys already. thanks.

Ok...I have no idea how to post pics on here. Its asking for a URL.

cpobr
October 19, 2010, 10:35 PM
What is the muzzle thread diameter & pitch for a Argentine fN49 .308 conversion barrel ? I'd like to replace the beat muzzle cap.

SfcMac
October 20, 2010, 12:36 PM
Just recently I put aside once and for all any hope of one day owning the Garand.As supplies dry up, this rifle is getting more and more expensive. Therefore I made this decision I will buy or trade for either the Egyptian FN or the MAS 49. I am even considering the Soviet Tokarev SVT 40. Push comes to shove I may settle for the Soviet SKS. Right now the only American rifle I own is the M1917, and she is mixed, so the very best I could do with her is $650. Really not sure how I feel about trading her right now. Anyway not to highjack the thread; I hear good things about the FN I hear she is reliable and fun to fire. Normally when I go hunting I take one of my Milsurps, but a good semi would give me a distinct edge. Particularly if I went after one of the Predators like the bear C&R Buds website puts her between $600, and $900.

gunny33
November 26, 2010, 09:26 AM
HI,
Purchased my first FN49, have lots of questions but lets start with some about 7x57 ammo and reloading, its a new caliber for me. I have some ammo with a headstamp of "FN 70". Box is marked 7mm Mauser and it apperrs to have been manufactured by FN Herstal in Belgium. Is this correct ammo for the Venezuelen FN49? Is it corrosive? Fianlly, has anyone ever reloaded this round for the FN? Please contact me @ gunny33@msn.com

Thanks in advance for any replies,

Bill
Western Mass.

hotbiggun42
November 26, 2010, 08:30 PM
Hi I just recieved a FN49 in a trade. I really don't know much about them the previouse owner said it was a Luxenberg FN 49 in 30-06. But i see nothing on the rifle itself to indicate what caliber it is. Any help would be greatly appreciated serial number is 11xx,
Thanks
hotbiggun

Webleymkv
November 28, 2010, 04:04 PM
All "AL" marked FN-49's are chambered for 30-06 unless a previous owner had some sort of conversion done (highly unlikely as 30-06 models are among the most desirable). The only FN-49's that were ever rechambered in any significant number were the Argentine Navy models that were rechambered from 7.65x53 Mauser to 7.62x51 NATO.

hotbiggun42
November 30, 2010, 12:59 AM
thanks for the reply . I took the FN 49 out today for a test fire. it shot single shot only. The gas port was turned to R I am thinking i need to read up on these rifles a bit more.

In an earlier post you metioned that you have seen low serial numbers in the 1900 range mine is in the 1100's is this significant?

Clyde
December 4, 2010, 11:09 PM
Greetings all!
I am the proud new owner of an Egyptian FN-49. This one is going to take a little restoration work to bring out its true beauty, starting with the stock. The stock on this one has numerous repairs, been painted and is missing the arsenal disk. So I am thinking of replacing the stock altogether. Does anyone know if I can use a stock that came from a 7mm FN-49? I understand there has been some trouble in the past when ordering from gunstocks.com. Has anyone ordered a replacement from them since then? If so how did that work out?

Webleymkv
December 6, 2010, 11:15 PM
thanks for the reply . I took the FN 49 out today for a test fire. it shot single shot only. The gas port was turned to R I am thinking i need to read up on these rifles a bit more.

Your gas plug is set to fire rifle grenades. Turning it around will allow you to shoot semi-auto. Also, FN-49's have an adjustable gas system. To adjust the gas system, remove the top handguard and you will see a sleeve around the gas tube. turning the sleeve will move it either forward or backward either covering or exposing a gas vent.

To adjust the gas system, turn the sleeve back until the gas vent is fully exposed. Next, load two rounds of the ammo you intend to shoot. Fire one shot and see if the rifle fully cycles. If it does not, turn the adjustment sleeve one click and load two more rounds. Repeat this procedure until your rifle will reliably cycle with your chosen ammo and then replace the top handguard.

ARcountryboy
January 1, 2011, 06:16 PM
I recently aquiered a fn 49 it is an 8x57 and i have been told to watch out for yugo bulk military rounds. So, why is that and could someone post a pic of what the base of the shell look like? Any info on this would be great. Thanks.:confused::confused:

MILSURPMAN56
November 18, 2011, 09:31 PM
The attached file describes how I modified my FN-49 firing pin to make it more resistant to slam-fire. I hope you find it entertaining and beneficial.

doofus47
November 21, 2011, 11:53 PM
If any of you kids are in the Co front range area, there is an 8mm FN-49 on the consignment rack at Gunsport in Boulder. It has an Egyptian crest. I don't remember the price since I'm out of the 8mm business. Looked pretty nice.

Ignition Override
November 26, 2011, 08:50 PM
If ARcountryboy or anybody else still wants to know what my bulk Yugo 8mm rds. looks like (or some of them), the letters are written in Cyrillic.

One of the symbols looks like an upside down square U. Imagine the shape of a doorway with a normal opening at the bottom. These two 'doorways' are followed by a 'Y'.
On some of my Yugo ammo the date '1982' is at the bottom of the case head.

For those of you who will acquire surplus Czechoslovakian ammo, you probably know that their alphabet is not Cyrillic, but Roman like ours.
If it helps, I can give info on my Czech ammo.

Siani
September 5, 2012, 04:02 PM
Hi folks, I am new to the forums.

Some years ago I purchased an FN 49, at the time I thought it was a Hakim. I do not think it is original, at least in the stock.

The receiver has a crown stamped on it, with apparently arabic letters in parentheses below it. To the right of this is a star over an L below which is a verticle line and what looks like a 'V'.

On the other side is a line of characters looking like a backward 7, an A without the cross bar, a warped I, and another backward 7.

Below those are numbers; 2813 and just below and to the right of those are 'Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre - Herstal - Belgique'

The rear sight leaf has numerals in what appears to be arabic.

The gas plug also has what appears to be arabic characters.

The stock appears to be some white wood, like beech, which has been stained walnut. The but is plastic, without the trapdoor. There is no armorer's coin.

I was told it is chambered for 8,mm Mauser and the ammo recommended was Serbian.

I finally have it all cleaned up and ready to rock. Question is, what is this? An actual Egyptian rifle or something cobbled together?

Siani

mehavey
September 5, 2012, 04:22 PM
Picture(s) ?
(one of entire rifle, and one each of receiver top/sides)

Siani
September 5, 2012, 05:26 PM
I'll get some taken and up riki tik. Later tonight like as not. Should have thought of that.

Siani

Siani
September 5, 2012, 05:45 PM
Photos:

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/Minas_Tindome/Kit/FN/DSCF0478.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/Minas_Tindome/Kit/FN/DSCF0479.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/Minas_Tindome/Kit/FN/DSCF0480.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/Minas_Tindome/Kit/FN/DSCF0481.jpg

http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss79/Minas_Tindome/Kit/FN/DSCF0485.jpg

Hope this works.

Oh yes, I paid 250.00 for this one. I have the (supposedly) original cleaning kit..a tube with a bore brush on a long cord is in it. I have the gas adjustment tool..at the moment the gas tube is wide open as I haven't yet had a chance to set the action on it. I was offered a bayonet not long ago. I think it is a very attractive rifle. The lands are quite prominent, there is no pitting or exceptional wear in the barrel that I can see.

Siani

mehavey
September 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
Same Egyptian as mine: (and standard 8mm x 57 Mauser)

http://i50.tinypic.com/205dukm.jpg

The last of the elegant old world battle rifles.

Watch out for the wrist of the stock cracking on you because of how they evidently just soaked these things in bore cleaner/gun oil and cosmoline. I finally just completely rebuilt that section of stock and bedded the receiver to even out the strain. No big deal.

http://i50.tinypic.com/34ql0sk.jpg

(The circles are interlocking hardwood dowels all the way through top-to-bottom, and the longer blond strip(s) covers steel rods/both sides inlaid w/ epoxy/shredded glass.)

In won't fail there again. :rolleyes:

akguy1985
September 6, 2012, 02:47 AM
sounded like an egyptian by the description, least to me. I've always wanted an FN 49, just never got one.

Siani
September 6, 2012, 05:22 AM
Thanks! Good to know it is what I thought it was. I'll keep an eye on the wrist of the stock, yes indeed. I am not sure this stock is the original though; no armorer's disc and the buttplate is plastic, not brass and has no trapdoor. The wood, as I say, appears to be beech or some other blond wood that has been stained walnut. If I ever find a walnut stock for it, I'll nab it..or I may have a friend have a go with his shop, if he is willing...hmmmmm.

I should be taking her out for gas adjustment and sighting in with a couple of weeks. I am really looking forward to it.

Glad I found this place. :)

I saw a number of these at a gun show some time ago; they were running around 800 dollars apiece. I did not check to see if they were Egyptian or not.

Siani

Siani
September 6, 2012, 02:43 PM
Next question; did they use bandoliers for the ammo, cartridge belt pouches, or what? Stripper clips were used for the K 98 if memory serves so perhaps something like that would work as well here.

Siani

barnbwt
September 6, 2012, 09:42 PM
Cool, I didn't know there was a FN-49 club :) It'd be cool if this was in the Semi-auto section, where it might get some more looks. The FN49 is probably one of, if not the last "curio and relic" as-issued military arm we'll be able to get.

I have a Luxembourg 30-06 that is a joy to shoot; easily the best stock of my milsurps (K31's and VZ58 folder), as much fun to shoot as my FNAR, and as pretty (if not more so) than any Garand. Recently picked up some ancient dies for 30-06, so I'll be getting to shoot it even more now :D

Obligatory pics:
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p630/barnbwt/P7150032small.jpg
http://i1159.photobucket.com/albums/p630/barnbwt/P7150048small.jpg
TCB

Siani
September 7, 2012, 05:23 AM
Very nice!

The only thing that drives me nuts about my SAFN is the dratted screw that holds the bracket holding the upper forward guard in place. I get it off easily enough, to access the gas sleeve, but when it comes time to put the thing back on, the screw doesn't line up and it takes forever with much tinkering and sometimes unladylike language to get the dratted screw back in. I have come close to using a cotter pin or something, for pity's sake.

Running a rod through the holes in the bracket they line up so it isn't bent so far as I can tell. The screw isn't warped. But line up like it ought to without a lot of aggravation? Nope. Weird.

Bad with the good and all that I guess.

Siani

GySgt
January 4, 2013, 01:48 AM
This one that I have is an Early Egyptian Contract, low 4 digit serial # and
is all matching numbers. Came with some extra parts and original FN49 TM manual. Its been a great shooter for me and always attacts attention at the range...

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb216/HQ_COMSEC/Egyptian%20FN-49%20Battle%20Rifle/FN49-c_zps5f41f48d.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb216/HQ_COMSEC/Egyptian%20FN-49%20Battle%20Rifle/FN49-2_zpsa6de6825.jpg

http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/bb216/HQ_COMSEC/Egyptian%20FN-49%20Battle%20Rifle/FN49-a_zps77333622.jpg

barnbwt
January 5, 2013, 12:34 AM
Nice rifle, and welcome! I dig the flash hider on those Egyptian guns :cool:
My 30-06 Luxembourg is kinda plain by comparison (and by noise, too, I suppose :D). What kind of groups have you been getting?

If you don't have the no-breaky two piece firing pin, be sure to grab one of those from Numrich so you don't risk slamfires one day

TCB

GySgt
January 5, 2013, 12:42 AM
Thanks BarnBWT appreciate the comment

The Flash Hider does help a lot in groupings, I have gotten 1.7 - 1.5 average groups with it. Ive already updated the firing pin to the 2 piece pin and keept the original as spare. Changed out the weak firing pin spring and that made a nice difference.

I finally locate the actual flash hider most commonly found the the Vennie model FN49 so I plan on changing it over to that one when it comes in and see what groups I get on it and if it makes a difference.

LOL, sure does help on the noise some that I will say.....

tahunua001
January 5, 2013, 01:33 AM
Run for your lives! It's alive!!!

Gunnutfn49
January 25, 2013, 10:32 PM
Excited to find this thread. Im almost done putting my grandfathers al fn49 back together. Pics and a field report soon to follow.

Ignition Override
January 26, 2013, 02:15 AM
If you live within range of Newnan, south of Atlanta, you might call and visit "Coyote Arms". They sold me a really good Enfield #4/Mk.1. at a show, very reasonable price, matching bolt, and with a bayo.

Very nice owner, and a family member is a mortician. I like these people.
Think about it-people in That profession hear about Lots of interesting guns etc for sale or disposal....

Last summer at the show up in Gwinnett GA, Coyote Frank had a very nice FN-49, though with a scope attached.

FairWarning
January 29, 2013, 07:32 PM
That is a TRUE beauty, GySgt!

I've been a little wary them based on the reliability problems a friend of mine had with a high mileage one. But one these days, I'll have one..

GySgt
January 30, 2013, 12:45 AM
Thank you Fairwarning, I appreciate the compliment.

Having upgraded the original one piece firing pin to the 2 piece set
and a fresh firing pin spring. I went replaced the original outer recoil spring and the 2 inner recoil spring with fresh ones improved the functioning beyond what I expected. It runs like a fine watch... :)

RonR6
February 6, 2013, 09:32 PM
Where is a good place to buy a 49. I used to see many of them
listed in Shotgun News years ago, not anymore.

Grendl
February 21, 2013, 05:05 PM
I just picked up an Egyptian for $600 on GB. They've always got several. Get yours while you still can!

yujin734
March 18, 2013, 12:34 AM
Just got to this thread and found that there are a few owners around. Retired Army; living here in Hawaii. Just bought a Vennie FN-49, 7x57mm, pristine condition. Along with it was the sling and bayonet and about 500 rds of Chilain cartridges (old and dirty - need cleaning). SN is 4 digits (48xx). Could not beileve the lack of recoil when firing it. I do believe that I will really enjoy this rifle. Any comments any of you may have will be greatly appreciated. Aloha to all.

beeker77
January 22, 2014, 12:23 PM
I am a new proud owner of one Egyptian (original, not Century) and one Venezuelan. These rifles are soooo nasty-looking (in a good way!). Have not gotten out to the range to shoot them yet, but have field-stripped and cleaned them both, replaced one-piece firing pin where needed (I think it was only the Egyptian, but anyway wanted to inspect and be sure).
We need to get more submissions for this thread!
Has anyone found and used a 20-round magazine?

SHE3PDOG
January 24, 2014, 01:39 AM
I didn't know this thread existed. I bought an Egyptian FN49 about a year ago, and it is EASILY my favorite rifle. I like it better than my M1 Garand even. That thing is a tack driver with modern PPU match ammo. These are really nice looking guns too.

It grabbed my attention due to its similar looks to the M1 Garand, but I quickly snatched it up when I realized what it was. It further interests me because Arabic was the second language I learned, so it is kind of nifty to read all the stuff on it.

Here she is:
http://i1312.photobucket.com/albums/t531/cooleymetal/DSCN0547_zpsffdd1888.jpg

mudflat
March 20, 2014, 10:03 AM
Hey all,
I recently had an 'out of battery slamfire' in my, two piece firing pin, FN49. I had made 8mm Mauser ammo from milsurp 30-06 cases. The dimensions of the cases (30-06 and 7.92x57mm S) are identical at the base and only need to be cut down to the correct length, sized and trimmed. The problem with making your own ammo for the FN49 is that it is a very robust firing mechanism that will ignite a sensitive primer before the round is seated in the chamber. I was using CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers which are reasonably sensitive for bolt action rifles and, I have found out, too sensitive for semi auto rifles. Even though I've used these primers for years in my FALs, and WASR AK47, I'm going to stop and use CCI 34 Large, 41 Small, or milsurp in the semi auto rifles.
The 'oob' slamfire caused the receiver and bolt carrier to become a bad fit! I searched (Google) and found a gunsmith in Missouri who could fix the rifle. His name is Guy Snelen at AMG International in Humansville, Missouri. He repaired it, test fired it, and sent it home to me. If anyone needs a good gunsmith, get in touch with Guy.

lordhedgwich
March 23, 2014, 08:25 AM
i have been looking at some of yours guys fn49 pics wow what a pretty rifle! lol How much do they run for in todays market?

barnbwt
March 24, 2014, 07:45 PM
600-1000 bucks, depending on caliber. The 308 box mag conversions run the most, typically. The 7mm and 30-06's after that, then the "lowly" 8mm Egyptians being the most affordable. Very solid guns, basically FALs dressed up like Garands.

TCB

lordhedgwich
March 26, 2014, 06:05 PM
whats wrong with the 8mm ones.. Thats the one i was wanting

claymore1500
March 26, 2014, 06:27 PM
whats wrong with the 8mm ones.. Thats the one i was wanting

There is nothing wrong with them, they are just the most common.

I have one of the Egyptians, (can be seen earlier in the thread), I really enjoy shooting it, I just need to start reloading for it.

gyvel
March 28, 2014, 01:47 PM
Anyone have any experience (good or bad) with the Argentine 49s with the removable 20 round mags?

hunter52
April 6, 2014, 12:07 PM
I have an Argentine 308. The only serious problem I have had was when I tried some of the 308 loads I had loaded up for my 308 bolt rifle.
I use CCI 200 or Wolf LR in my semi auto rifles, I use Remington 91/2 in the 700.
I decided to try the 150 grain SP load in the FN49 and see if they shot alright, on the third pull of the trigger it doubled.
Not an "out of Battery" event or anything, the primer was pierced and backed out , brass was intact ,no bulge or anything. Rifle was fine.
Since then I have duplicated the SP load for the Argentine but with CCI 200 primers. The adjustable gas system sure is nice .
I have given some thought to blocking one of my 10 round mags to 5 round and maybe take a go at elk with it.

Modeler
November 22, 2014, 11:37 PM
Looks like it's ok to keep this thread going after months off, right? I came away from the most recent gun show with a couple rifles, one of which is a Luxembourg FN-49 in 30-06. It looks to be in great shape, the numbers on the metal all match (although the number on the stock doesn't). I'm looking forward to taking it out the next time I go shooting. A couple questions:

1. What loads are ok to use in the FN-49? I know the M1 Garand is somewhat sensitive to heavier loads, is the FN-49 similar in that regard? Will I be safe using my M2 ball ammo from my M1 stash in the FN-49?

2. I see a guide for stripper clips. I've read this evening that M1A/M14 stripper clips work well; does that work out well for everyone else?

Thanks in advance!

Emerson Biggies
November 23, 2014, 11:43 PM
If my memory serves me, the FN49 has over 140 parts. For your sake I hope buying parts for the 49 is not like buying parts for a car. Taking one down for cleaning must be a labor of love.

Clyde
November 24, 2014, 12:20 AM
Modeler, M2 loads will work just fine in your FN-49. If I recall correctly, they are a pretty middle of the road loading. Your advantage is the adjustable gas system. Dial that in with your ammo to prevent your rifle from taking a beating

Modeler
November 24, 2014, 02:11 AM
Modeler, M2 loads will work just fine in your FN-49. If I recall correctly, they are a pretty middle of the road loading. Your advantage is the adjustable gas system. Dial that in with your ammo to prevent your rifle from taking a beating

Awesome, thanks!

mehavey
November 24, 2014, 06:48 AM
See Post #3 (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4936407&postcount=3) this same thread.
If/when reloading, stay w/ mid-fast powders.

Modeler
November 26, 2014, 11:55 PM
See Post #3 (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4936407&postcount=3) this same thread.
If/when reloading, stay w/ mid-fast powders.

Thanks. I have a bunch of CMP M2 ball right now, I'll probably end up reloading it all eventually once I run out.

hunter52
November 30, 2014, 07:28 PM
Not sure if the Luxembourg model is the same as the Argentine model in regards to the stripper clips, the M14 clips do not fit in my Argentine bolt but they do work in the Fal charger I use to load my magazines.

If you find they do work or want to try some in your Lux, shoot me a line, I have a thousand or so.