PDA

View Full Version : Favorite gun for coyote, what do you bring

BLS700
December 15, 2008, 02:03 PM
After recently getting into coyote hunting now that we have so many I've been wrestling with a question. I got great advice on this forum on how to hunt coyotes and have been having success but now I want a designated coyote gun. I like the TC Pro Hunter and I don't think being single shot is an issue since they bolt if I miss. I'm probably going with the .204 Ruger. In heavy woods I take the 870 with #4 (again as suggested here). So here's my question to all you yote hunters, if you can only take one gun what is it? We're talking coyote ONLY here. Just curious

rem870hunter
December 15, 2008, 02:21 PM
beings how i have 3 choices here,although only one can be used day or night.

i'd say my 12 gauge 870 with #2 or lead BB overnight and buckshot or slugs by day.

i can use either one of my muzzleloaders during the daytime, but i can only shoot coyote/fox if i see them while deer hunting.

the shotgun, i can use deer ammo if i see coyote/fox while deer hunting.

basically you need a gun w/ammo,a call or 2,and patience.

big_bang
December 15, 2008, 02:23 PM
My Savage 24F with .223 on top (50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips), 12ga below (3" 00) and a Burris 1.75-5x20 scope. It's about the perfect all-around coyote gun IMO.

Sam06
December 15, 2008, 02:34 PM
If you don't care about the hide its hard to beat a 6mm(243 or 6mmREM) When I was hunting for the pelts I used a 17 Rem and it was a killer to 150yds. A 222 or 223 are good also with FMJ bullets. For long shots a 220 swift will do the job as will the above 6mm's. I always like the 6mm REM but I handload. As you can see there are guys who live by the shotgun and its a good choice for close in called dogs.

One gun, it would have to be the 6mm, either a 243 or the remington version.

BLS700
December 15, 2008, 02:53 PM
.243 is a great coyote gun no doubt. I handload also which makes it even nicer.

crowbeaner
December 15, 2008, 03:05 PM
I use my .222 or my kid's .243. It depends on the calling and shooting setup, where I'm hunting, and whether I think I might get a shot longer than 300 yards. Neither gun misses if I do my part, and the 222 doesn't tear up the pelts badly. I can also use the Deuce with cast boolits if I'm hunting thick woods where shots will be close in.

The Terminator
December 15, 2008, 03:11 PM
I think that 243's are great, as a 223's. I've used a 223, and a 270 on them. I'm taking this with me the next time I go to Alabama to get one. Its a .308

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z292/Othalt/DSCN4463.jpg

Daryl
December 15, 2008, 03:38 PM
A lot of people use too much cartridge for coyotes; a fair number also use too little.

I've used several of the small bore centerfires, and have even shot them with handguns and rimfires a time or three. IMO, the .243 is great if you aren't that great of a shot, or for whatever reason need something extra if you make a bad shot. Pretty much any solid body hit stops them quick; all the way out to...well, way out there.

The 22-250 is about equal to it for stopping coyotes, and does about the same damage to fur, if you're going to save it.

The most fun cartridge I've used is the .17 caliber centerfires. They stop coyotes DRT with proper bullet placement, but won't make up for a bad shot like the larger guns do. The .17 Rem is a fun and very accurate cartridge for small bore vermint shooting, and loaded right it doesn't tear up the fur. I consider it an experienced caller's cartridge, although beginners often use it with great success.

The best for general use is probably the .223, with the .204 Ruger about the same. Ammo is cheaper for the .223 if you don't handload.

Scorch
December 15, 2008, 04:31 PM
I paid my way through college with the GI Bill and coyote pelts back in the early 1980s when the pelts were worth some money. I thought I wanted a 22-250 for those 400 yds shots, so that's what I built. And it worked fine for those long shots, but there are a lot more shots closer in, and for those I can tell you the 22-250 is too much and the 223 is just about ideal. The same applies to 222, 222 Mag, 219 Zipper, 256 WinMag, 250 Savage, and a whole slew of similar cartridges that throw a lightweight bullet at 2,700-3,000 fps. Any faster and you ruin the hides, any slower and you have to have the perfect shot.

Sam06
December 15, 2008, 05:20 PM
I think Daryl just called me a bad shot(LOL). I am just kidding there Daryl. You are correct the 6mm's do make up for variables like range and wind plus sometimes I could not get the dogs in close thats where the 6mm shine.

I paid my rent with Pelts,Yotes and Fox, 90% of them shot with a 17mm Rem called in the others were shot with a 220 swift. That was in WA state by the way in the early 80's. I had a TC contender in 6mm TCU that did a good job on them also. Over here on the east coast where I live now I see coy dogs deer hunting now and then and I would not even take the time to skin them. They are very poor looking dogs. If I shoot at them its with a 308 or 243 that I deer hunt with. Bottomline I would never want just one gun for anything. I pick the gun I think I will need for the Animal/conditions I am going to hunt.

HAMMER1DOWN
December 15, 2008, 06:10 PM
I used to use my 17 HMR but after i bought my AR-15 that is all i use any more its just to great to have that super quick follow up shot if you really need it..:D39558

Jseime
December 15, 2008, 06:39 PM
I have a Ruger M77MkII in .270 that is my current coyote smacker.

I am buying a BAR Short Trac in .243 to call a designated coyote rifle and then the .270 will just have to pull deer duty.

Crosswire3
December 15, 2008, 06:43 PM
I use a 22-250 and feel that it is perfect for the job. As has been said, it's a little much if your shots are close, but it can really reach out for the long shots.

fisherman66
December 15, 2008, 06:44 PM
Whatever rifle that's with me. A 280 is not good for the pelt, but we have Homer Simpson 'yotes down here, so that's not a problem.

L_Killkenny
December 15, 2008, 07:58 PM
Serious about coyote hunting? Go ask the pro's Predator Masters.

22-250 is a long way from being too much gun with proper bullets. .243 will blow up about yote you see but can be used more effectively for larger game. I here good things about the .204 and it shoots WAY flat!

Basically, I don't know if you can go wrong with any centerfire .17, .20 or .22 caliber gun.

Single shots are great if you're a great shot. Considering you think you'll miss and the yote will bolt means you are not. Get a repeater for quick follow up shots on wounded yotes.

LK

sureshots
December 15, 2008, 08:02 PM
22-250cal.will definitely do the job at almost any range.

armedtotheteeth
December 15, 2008, 10:59 PM
I bring my Ar 15 . Id take a yote out to 400 yards with it. Id call it as accurate as any bolt gun, and my bolt cycles by itself. If you tried out one of the new varminter type ARS, you would probably leave your bolt gun at home for the foreseeable future. If yo like, you could even get a 204 ruger upper for your Ar.

BLS700
December 15, 2008, 11:45 PM
L Killkenny my comment about missing wasn't meant to imply that I'm a bad shot. To be honest if I am not very confident in the shot I'm about to take then I don't take it. I think the most disgraceful thing hunters can do is take shots beyond THEIR capabilites. However, I have seen coyotes shot at and missed. They tend to vacate the area quickly. In the area where I am there are always woods for the yote to head to in a short distance. So getting a decent follow up shot is rare. As far as a wounded coyote I would either reload the single shot as quickly as possible or if in range finish with the .357. I know many hunters that use single shot rifles on a very wide variety of game and I would not call them irresponsible because the follow up shot may take a little longer. I'm not sure if that was what you were implying but I'm just throwing it out there. No doubt the bolt action has the edge for a follow up.

BLS700
December 15, 2008, 11:47 PM
Armedtotheteeth I like the idea of an AR style rifle in .204 Ruger. I saw one that DPMS has put out but to my knowledge ( and I'm pretty sure here) in PA we are not allowed to hunt them with semi-auto rifles. Thanks for the thought though.

Daryl
December 16, 2008, 06:04 AM
I think Daryl just called me a bad shot(LOL). I am just kidding there Daryl.

Joke taken well, since I would also have been calling myself a bad shot, even tthough I'm not. You'd be amazed at how many callers I've seen that can't hit a moving coyote though; even if it's walking. Coyotes don't often stop too long when responding to a call, so I like to be able to shoot 'em as they come. It can get a bit more tricky to accurately place a bullet on a coyote that's ducking through the mesquites, rather than one standing there looking ata you.

I pretty much hit what I shoot at, but I used a .243 for about 20 years for calling coyotes. I switched to a 22-250 for a couple of years; it damaged the fur just as bad on close in shots, stopped them just as well, but didn't buck the wind as well as the .243 with the loads I was using in each.

So, I went back to using the .243. A lot of it was my own ignorance, as well as my inclination to use what I had rather than experimenting. As a result, I ruined a lot of good hides back in the days when they were worth more than lately.

I bought a .223 in the mid-1990's, and it worked great for coyotes. It was enough for far shots, and didn't blow up hides too bad at all on the more often made close shots.

Until one day several years ago when I blew up a nice bobcat, and pretty much ruined THAT hide. That's when I started using a .17 Remington for coyotes. I typically get a little tiny BB entrance hole, and no exit. For the occasional bobcat, a carefully placed shot saves those hides, too.

It's a bit much for our little grey foxes, but almost anything centerfire is. I think that's the one really good use I've found for the .22 mag. It's just right for the little greys, while still giving me enough for the occasional coyote or bobcat that might appear in the brushy stuff I call greys in. It's no long range rifle, but it works well enough for what I use it for.

Daryl

PredatorHunter
December 16, 2008, 08:01 AM
I carry a Ruger 22.250 like this...

http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/9082/dog4yy7.jpg

My upclose and personal gun looks like 'dis...

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2586/rem870tj9.jpg

I personally think the 204 is too light for coyotes. I own one and have shot some coyotes with it. I have also chased several cripples with it. That just doesn't happen much with a 22 250.

Daryl
December 16, 2008, 08:49 AM
I personally think the 204 is too light for coyotes. I own one and have shot some coyotes with it. I have also chased several cripples with it. That just doesn't happen much with a 22 250.

Read my posts above.

I use a .17 Rem with no problems, but I'm picky about where I hit 'em these days.

Daryl

Jseime
December 16, 2008, 12:15 PM
I bring my Ar 15 . Id take a yote out to 400 yards with it. Id call it as accurate as any bolt gun, and my bolt cycles by itself. If you tried out one of the new varminter type ARS, you would probably leave your bolt gun at home for the foreseeable future. If yo like, you could even get a 204 ruger upper for your Ar.

You guys have no idea how good you have it down there... It is so much pain in the arse to get an AR up here and even then you can only legally use it at a registered gun range and the only time you are allowed to have it with you is transporting it back and forth to that gun range. While not in use they have to have a trigger lock and be in a locked case... What a bunch of total BS :barf:.

BLS700
December 16, 2008, 12:56 PM
So Daryl in your opinion .204 should work fine on coyotes?

Art Eatman
December 16, 2008, 08:56 PM
I've used the .223 and the .243, mostly. One fella down in south Georgia swears by his .204 on coyotes. And, of course, the .22-250 and the Swift are traditional coyote cartridges.

PredatorHunter
December 16, 2008, 10:01 PM
There's ALOT of opinions about the 204 and coyotes. I personally think they have thier uses within a hundred yards with the right bullet. the 32 gr VMax is too light IMO. The only bullet that seems to work more often then not. Is the 40 gr Berger. They DO have their limitations. Sometimes things go wrong and you don't put it exactly where you need it. For instance... Same goes for a 17 hmr and a head shot. You can ding 'em in the head and stone them. But anywhere else and you got a tracking job. But on an "OK?" or badly hit coyote with a .204... You aren't going to get him. With a 22-250 takes most of that away.

armedtotheteeth
December 16, 2008, 10:17 PM
Jseime, we dont have it really "all that good" here. You have just had your rights taken away from you. You have a beautiful country up there. I would not live there in a million years with people like that controling everything you do. I heard some stupid rumor that you cant have scopes there!?? What the heck. Tell me this isnt true. Anyways, We have our own idiot coming into office down here. I didnt elect him, a bunch of well, uhmm, people that dont care about rights did. ( that was not my initial though by the way)

If they ban them for hunting here, guess what, come find me, and try to take it!! For the Next 40 or so years of my life, Im hunting with my Ar15 and Ar10. I dont care what stupid laws cross the Desk of The up and coming mooroon

Daryl
December 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
So Daryl in your opinion .204 should work fine on coyotes?

BLS700,

It's not just my opinion; it's a proven fact. The .204 is plenty for coyotes out to 300 yards or so, and farther if the shooter is up to it.

I've shot coyotes with a .17 Remington, using a 25 grain Berger match bullet at around 3800-3900 fps. It works very well on coyotes out to about 250-300 yards; about the same range as a .223, but the bullet shoots flatter and doesn't usually exit. You DO need to hit them right.

The .204 is a step up from the .17 Rem (not to be confused with the .17 HMR, which is a rimfire that doesn't even come close). It'll kill coyotes just as well, and most likely a bit farther with good hits. I have friends who use the .204, and they all report good results in both killing power and minimal fur damage.

Like I said in my earlier post though, if the shooter isn't confident in placing a bullet correctly at whatever range they'll be shooting at, the 22-250 or .243 gives you more margin for error. Pretty much any solid body shot with either will anchor a coyote. Even if it's still alive, they just aren't likely to go anywhere (on that note, I don't try for just any body shot, but when you've shot lots and lots of coyotes, things sometimes happen. I was a beginner once, too). The 22-250 and .243 are both hard on fur though, so everything is a trade-off. I feel pretty sure that I've killed in excess of 1000 coyotes with a .243 over many years, and probably around 250-300 with a 22-250

My opinion is that the .17 Rem is sort of an experienced caller's cartridge for coyotes. You have to place that bullet just right. The .223 and the .204 are likely better for a caller that isn't as experienced, and hasn't learned yet what to expect of a coyote on stand, but still wants to utilize the fur. The new guy will get more excited, and will get surprised on stand more often by a coyote, so they're more apt to rush the shot a bit. The heavier bullets of these two offer a bit more margin for error, without destroying furs more than necessary.

The '250 and the .243 are hammers on coyotes, and will likely ruin more furs then they'll save. Many don't care, since they don't skin them anyway. I've sewed up enough furs that I feel qualified to say these two generally aren't fur friendly, no matter the load. I still have a nice pre-64 Win 70 in .243 in my safe, and while I love the rifle and cartridge, I haven't shot a coyote with that rifle in years. It's just too messy, and I've shot more than enough coyotes with it to know.

Daryl

hogdogs
December 16, 2008, 10:34 PM
My search for the right low dough longer range pointy bullet flinger continues... It will be a .308 or a .30-06. This will be my long range 'yote killer. For shorter range work I would use the .30-30, 12 or 20 gauge depending on range and mood...
Brent

Swampghost
December 16, 2008, 10:51 PM
All of this for a small dog that can easily be taken out with a .22LR to 100 yds. Think about how to draw them within range.

armedtotheteeth
December 16, 2008, 11:15 PM
They are smart little critters though. I called one on out of the brush a while back. As soon as he turned and saw me, I could see the "oh Crap " look on his face. He turned and ran away as fast as he could. Well, against my better judgement, I sent a 55 Grain Vmax right into his left buttcheek. I ran up to him, as he was not able to run. He looked up at me as I cocked my 45. I swear that damn dog closed his eyes as I pointed that pistol at his head. He knew what was coming, he knew he messed up. I felt bad for that coyote. Even as ugly and mangy as he was. If you are gonna hunt, be sure you make a quick kill. Looking your game in the eye will do funny things to you.

onthejon55
December 16, 2008, 11:22 PM
i could only afford on "do all" gun so i got a .30-06. my cousin shot a yote with his and almost split it in half :D i cant think of nething better suited for worthless vermin

sc928porsche
December 16, 2008, 11:37 PM
My favorite coyote rifle is a 25-06.

BLS700
December 17, 2008, 05:01 PM
I knew we would get a 25-06 fan in there eventually. Great round. As far as the comment about using a .22lr I don't think that is near enough power to be considered a coyote cartridge. My personal opinion is that a hunter should use what he/she KNOWS will put the prey down when hit properly of course.

BLS700
December 17, 2008, 05:03 PM
Also thanks for the info Daryl I will be going with the .204. Ballistically it looks like a great round for what I'll be doing. I don't have the confidence or coyote experience to use the .17. As you said that's for an experienced yote hunter. Someday. They are pretty much all over this area now.

cornbush
December 17, 2008, 10:21 PM
270 with 100 grain speer hollow points at 3400fps works explosively well, pelts seem to fall right off too, well, whats left of them.:D:D

MeekAndMild
December 18, 2008, 07:23 PM
I used to not care at all for ARs, thought they were for mall ninjas, then I moved to coyote country and that changed and I really appreciate the quick second shot. But as time goes on I've found the .223 inadequate so now I think that the 6.5 Grendel is a good round. I don't care about furs; I just want to keep the coyotes out of the cows and goats.

Jseime
December 18, 2008, 08:55 PM
I heard some stupid rumor that you cant have scopes there!?? What the heck. Tell me this isnt true.

It certainly is not true... the gun laws up here, while backwards are not quite as bad as you may think.

Check out www.wolverinesupplies.com, they have some cool stuff for us Canadians.
You can buy a Swiss arms SIG 550 with just a posession acquisiton license which is easy to get. I think we can get a Robinson Armament XCR, and I know that you can get an H&K SL8. AR and AK variants are allowed you just arent allowed to use them anywhere other than a registered gun club and cant hunt with them... you have to be a member of a gun club before they will even give you a license.

I think that sometime in the next few years an H&K SL8 may be in the books for me it looks like a sweet gun... anyone know about mounting a scope/optics on it for hunting type purposes?

Swampghost
December 18, 2008, 09:26 PM
I don't hunt them but I know that they are smart. I guy that I know bought a shotgun and it didn't take them long to learn to stay out of range.

jckeffer
December 19, 2008, 02:46 AM
Rem 700 22-250 It's not to much if you reload! I've reloaded bullets fron 40gr to 70gr, from mild to hot. Effective well beyond 400 yrds. My Dad killed a Wyoming antelope with a single shot at 335 yrds using the Rem 22-250 with a 70gr Speer Semi-Spitzer I reloaded for him. Dropped in it's tracks.

For coyote I like the 40gr.

Another combination I tried and liked was the Reminton 30.06 'Accelerator' -55gr bullet w/sabot @ 4000fps. Hard to come by so when I see them I buy all I can. Even tried reloading them w/sabots tools from A. Brown & Co. Mixed results - tough to get consistent:o

MikeMurf0505
December 19, 2008, 03:06 AM
No exit hole.
Hyperaccurate
reloadable
quick even in the 26" barell version Remington just came out with.

BLS700
December 19, 2008, 01:15 PM
Predatorhunter have you personally used the .204 ruger for coyote? I'm just wondering because my friends .204 loves the 32 grain and doesn't do as well with the heavier bullets as far as accuracy is concerned. Or if anyone has seen how a 32 grain bullet has performed in the field please let me know. Time to buy is coming up. Then I have to decide on a scope. Life's hard isn't it gentlemen/ladies. :D

armedtotheteeth
December 19, 2008, 08:26 PM
Pm yithian about the 204. His has been sitting in the safe for sometime. Probably good for Coyotes,. but, not so much for pigs. He has a Ar in 223 now. That 204 aint gonna get out much.

skydiver3346
December 19, 2008, 08:50 PM
Best pill for Coyotes, is my wife's Rem 700 in 6mm with 85 grain bullets. Bad to the bone.

PredatorHunter
December 20, 2008, 09:56 AM
Predatorhunter have you personally used the .204 ruger for coyote? I'm just wondering because my friends .204 loves the 32 grain and doesn't do as well with the heavier bullets as far as accuracy is concerned. Or if anyone has seen how a 32 grain bullet has performed in the field please let me know. Time to buy is coming up. Then I have to decide on a scope. Life's hard isn't it gentlemen/ladies.

Yes I have. I had read all the internet "hoopla" on how great they were. Thinking I had just found the ultimate coyote gun I went and bought a 700 SPS. I took it our the first day to some new country. Had 4 coyotes com into 3 sets I shot all four. 3 of which were runners, 2 I think made it to the other end of the county before I lost sight of them. The fourth, while he was "knocked down". He was still alive when I got there and needed dispatched. All of them were called in within a hundred yards. These were well hit coyotes, any of them shot with my 22 250 would have been dead right there. I put the gun back in the safe and started using my 22 250 again. The next day I shot a coyote using 55 gr VMax out of my 250 at 80 yards. It hit him so hard in the chest it was like rigamortis instantly set in. Locking his knees. I have since loaded some 40 gr Berger's (per alot of advise off here). But can't bring myself to drag a rifle out that I am not 100% confident in.

I have told this story many times via the internet and everytime someone reply's like I just kicked their kid in the nuts. IMO there will never be another king of the coyote guns that can unseat the 22-250.

Rem 700 22-250 It's not to much if you reload! I've reloaded bullets fron 40gr to 70gr, from mild to hot. Effective well beyond 400 yrds. My Dad killed a Wyoming antelope with a single shot at 335 yrds using the Rem 22-250 with a 70gr Speer Semi-Spitzer I reloaded for him. Dropped in it's tracks.

You probably don't want to be posting that via the internet. Beings there is a .23 caliber minimum for big game in Wyoming. SO... your Dad broke the law.

jckeffer
December 20, 2008, 12:47 PM
PredatorHunter,

Acutally my Dad did not break the law - never has in 50 years of hunting! The .23 restriction is relatively new - at least compared to when he shot the antelope.

PredatorHunter
December 21, 2008, 07:33 AM
Ok my appologies...

armedtotheteeth
December 21, 2008, 03:57 PM
Doesnt it suck , there are rules for minumum Caliber hunting, and then there are rules against having something that is too powerful. I guess we have goldilocks running the damn government now. My sister referred to my Ar 15 as an "assault rifle that could shoot through houses" I told her it isnt even legall to hunt with in most places because it is too weak. Yup, she has drank the Kool aid too, being up in Denver. Regular tree huggin mountain hippie.

ken22250
December 21, 2008, 08:00 PM
i have a Rem700 i got for $100 back in the mid 80's used in .25-06, its got a 16 1/2 " barrel, i shot 120gr positive expanding point, and 120gr sierra gameking, but now i use 100 gr TSX, ive killed a few doe, and a lot of cyote with it, i bought if for cyote, its generly will shoot about 1 1/2 " groups, plenty accurate for a light, short rifle.
ken

BLS700
December 21, 2008, 10:14 PM
No doubt that the 22-250 is a GREAT round. No argument here. I was just curious if your comment came from personal experience. As a sidenote I did pick up the TC pro hunter in .204 ruger. To make a long story short it was $640 and cabelas was running a sale if you spent 500 you got 100 off so the gun cost $640. It's got the stainless barrel. While I'm still gathering info on the rounds effectiveness and for what I couldn't pass that up. Plus, I had gift cards so out the door I paid less than 400. Gotta' love that.

HiBC
January 5, 2009, 01:09 AM
Gee.I must have messed up.I put together an M-70 Laredo in 7 mag with a Leu 4.5-14 Longrange Mildot with a 30 mm tube .The Kenton elevation knob is calibrated to the load to 1400 yds,using a Nightforce 20 minute base.

I sort of use it to get up high and watch the herd calving.

I don't big game hunt with it.It does work on prairie dogs.

sureshots
January 6, 2009, 09:29 AM
I use A TC Encore 22-250 26-in heavy barrel and it does A fine job.

wyobohunter
January 7, 2009, 12:25 AM
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo130/hbean/varmintstuff001.jpg

Dusty Rivers
January 9, 2009, 07:15 PM
I have a pasture that I can see if I am standing, from my back porch. It is up hill, maybe 30 feet higher at distance. Every once in awhile a couple of coyotes decide to prance across it in the daylight. I have a 9X variable scoped 25-06 sako.

There is a low lying field in between, so pacing off the distance would not work. Couple of questions.

1 short of buying expensive range finder, How can I figure out the distance? My guess is it is at least 400 yards as the crow flys, but just a guess.

2. Do you use bi-pod ( difficult since I would be shooting between a wire fence, and up hill if prone) or a shooting stick?

3. What would be proper 25-06 load for those long range shots? I don't care about the pelt. I don't like it when they feel safe enough to walk around in the daylight.

Any long range ( over 100 yd) shot advice would be appreciated.

Fat White Boy
January 9, 2009, 10:21 PM
I use a Browning Model 1885 low wall in .22-250...I reload for it using Sierra Match grade Hollow Point Boattail 52gr bullet over 38.5g of IMR 4364

armedtotheteeth
January 9, 2009, 10:55 PM
I use my Ar-15, or Ar-10, or Ar-30. ( for those stubborn critters). The critters have not complained yet. Everything I carry must have a pistol grip on it these days.
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=40812&stc=1&d=1231559547

wyobohunter
January 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
Dusty Rivers...Some rifle scopes give you a way to estimate range; an object of known size is looked at with the scope and measures with the duplex points etc... Anyway, check the owners manual. Another thing you could do is set up a target in the sot where you expect the Yotes to travel and sight in to it from your shooting position. That is, if the 25-06 isn't already sighted in for deer etc. Still, you could just keep a record of clicks added and return it to normal zero before going afield.

texfar
January 10, 2009, 12:11 PM
Dusty Rivers, gotta cheap GPS? Borrow one. With SA switched off they are accurate to about 30 feet or less, usually 18 feet, where I live. Walk it and mark it various spots on the field. Plant a survey stake and take notes. You will be very close

I made a couple of different length shooting sticks from Varmit Al's site for situations like this. Once you get the feel for them they are rock steady. Check it out. http://www.varmintal.com/ashot.htm. Or, build yourself a rest on your porch.

You will be shooting up hill, but if the rise is only 30 feet, probably would have little effect on trajectory and POA. Acute angle up or down, you will shoot slightly below the flat land POA.

For long range, steady rest, learn to dope the wind and PRACTICE. Set up a target at that range and try it out. At the end of the day, I will only be able to extend my range to 300 yds. Wish I had a field like that....hog heaven, no pun intended. You got Hogs???? :D

Can't help you out on the load, but others will chime in. Don't own one.

I will check out the ballistics and follow this thread.
Ken

Smallgame2100
January 10, 2009, 12:25 PM
I've wanted to get into coyote hunting.
Thanks for everyone in this thread, its helped me and I'm sure its helped others.

thallub
January 10, 2009, 02:39 PM
My called in coyote gun is a Savage model 24F with .22 Hornet over 20 gauge. The shotgun barrel is loaded with #4 buckshot. My long range coyote reaper is a Remington model 700 in .22 CHeetah. It wears a 26" Remington barrel.

BLS700
January 11, 2009, 09:49 PM
Seems to be quite a bit of interest in yote hunting these days. Mine, I can now say, is my TC Prohunter in .204 ruger. In western PA I walk alot and carry it through dense woods (not to mention thorns). It's light, wicked accurate, and gives me the opportunity to keep the pelt.

As a side note thanks for all the previous advice Daryl I went with that gun and have not been disappointed by the power in the .204. Hopefully I'll find that pet load soon.

MikeMurf0505
January 12, 2009, 05:04 AM
GOTTA love that.

I think who ever said "use what you know how to shoot best and will take them down" was most likley the winner here.

fact is, no matter what the gun can do scientifically, if you can shoot it right, you can exceed that capability. Conversely, no matter how overkill the gun is we still manange to undershoot it if we dont practice practice practice.

(and nothing listed here takes them better than the 25-06)
hahahaha -just kidding.

Dusty Rivers
January 12, 2009, 10:55 AM
Yes I have a GPSS. That seems like a great suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it. Hogs heck yes.

Texas is home to nearly 2 million feral hogs, the largest feral hog population in the U.S. Their numbers are continuing to increase because of their high reproductive potential and the lack of natural predators. Feral hogs wreak havoc on property, livestock, crops and pastures across the state and frustrate landowners because of their destructive nature. Landowners have reported extensive damage to crops, fences, roads, ponds, fields and feed loss. Texas AgriLife Extension Service estimates that statewide annual economic damage caused by feral hogs is $51.7 million.

I think most of them are in my back hay meadow. Hogs, coyotes, and fire ants, can you get any more fun than that;)? I tote around a 12 GA with #2 buckshot rotated with rifled slug as the next round. I can handle anything with that including the occasional migrating Kodiak:D Just kidding, We are more concerned with migrating Yankees:D:D JUST KIDDING AGAIN:rolleyes:

texastweeter
January 25, 2009, 04:08 PM
.22-250

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh95/texastweeter/Howa150022-250jpg2.jpg

Singlesix1954
January 31, 2009, 09:01 PM
I love a longshot. My Hornet inside 220yds. But I love to dropem @ 700yds with my old 22-250. Now when you want to feel the adreneline try to shoot them with a supressed ATM automag(22 win mag) inside 25ft!

TxYoteHunter
February 1, 2009, 11:42 AM
I've used my Remington 700 BDL .243 w/ 4x Redfield scope for 30+ years and it does a good job on coyotes and hogs. Not a lot of kick to it.

metalheadlead
February 3, 2009, 09:04 PM
Anybody ever use a .250 savage lever action on a yote', if so, let me know how she did.

Shaun_300
February 16, 2009, 09:37 PM
Either the .22-250 or the .25-06, we usually will see timberwolves before coyotes in this area (eastern Ontario) so I prefer the .25-06.

troy_mclure
February 16, 2009, 10:02 PM
growing up the hides we sold were a big part of the family's income,so they couldnt be all shot up.
i used a .22mag for day, and a 12ga loaded w/BB at night.

.357 mag
February 16, 2009, 10:14 PM
I use a Benelli Nova with 3 1/2 T shot out of a Carlson's dead coyote choke. I have never missed or crippled a yote when I shot under 90 yards. Dead where they lay. i have no need for a rifle. I shoot in timber almost 98% of the time.

BLS700
February 17, 2009, 09:11 PM
I find myself more and more using my remington 870. Here in PA you can't use anything larger than #4 buck so that's what I tend to go with. The majority of the woods here are too thick to make a rifle a good choice. When I can find open area though i'm really falling in love with my .204 ruger.

UniversalFrost
February 20, 2009, 04:44 PM
REmmy 700 VSSF in 22-250 with burris signature 6-24x44 is my yote gun of choice.

JOE

James R. Burke
February 21, 2009, 03:20 PM
I dont care about the hide. 30-06 110 grain Hornady V-Max, Varget powder moving at 3712 f.p.s.

sebagoguy78
February 21, 2009, 03:39 PM
Just got Savage 340 .223 with scope on loan. Gotta sight it, then it's on!
Loads anyone?
Thinkin 58-62gr FMJ within 200yds:confused:

Firepower!
February 21, 2009, 07:35 PM
1. 243 Win.
2. 22 magnum at 25 -50 yards

6x6pinz
February 27, 2009, 07:15 PM
410 shotgun with slugs and my buckmark hunter to back it up, this works for all the smaller predators.