PDA

View Full Version : ruger old army revolver

gbrhino
December 12, 2008, 11:19 PM
I Have Been Given An Ruger Old Army Percussion Revolver That Hasn't Had The Cylinder Remove From When It Was Fired 2 Years Ago. He Wash The Gun Out The Best He Could But Couldnot Get The Base Retaining Pin Assembly Out And Neither Can I. I Tried Penetrating Oil But No Luck. Any Suggestions.

Keith

whosyrdaddy
December 12, 2008, 11:30 PM
are you referring to the slotted screw that locks the loading lever assembly?

gbrhino
December 12, 2008, 11:43 PM
it is the base pin that is froze in. the pin turns 180 degrees no problem.
keith

Fingers McGee
December 13, 2008, 12:10 AM
Kroil. It'll loosen anything up.

gbrhino
December 13, 2008, 12:19 AM
I Will Try Kroil Oil. Thanks

Keith

whosyrdaddy
December 13, 2008, 12:30 AM
You could try turning the screw counter clockwise. Put the hammer in the safety notch between the nipples the lower the loading lever until it contacts the face of the cylinder and give it a good smack. A piece of cardboard between the ram and the cylinder will save it from marring.

gbrhino
December 13, 2008, 12:40 AM
I Will Give That A Try In The Morning. Didn't Know If That Screw Could Be Punched Through The The Base Pin In. Never Had One Of These Apart.

Keith

whosyrdaddy
December 13, 2008, 01:10 AM
Didn't Know If That Screw Could Be Punched Through The The Base Pin In.

Keith, as it happens, it can't. I edited my previous post accordingly.

gbrhino
December 13, 2008, 01:36 PM
Finally got it out this morning. Kroil did the job ovenight. Looks like the cylinder is a lost cause.

Keith

mykeal
December 13, 2008, 01:47 PM
That's too bad. Sorry to see that happen. You might take a look at replacement cylinders from: http://www.classicballistx.com/our_cylinder.html

Smokin_Gun
December 13, 2008, 03:10 PM
Here's a couple choices, PM me as I would be interested in it. Or get a .45 Colt R&D Drop in Conversion for it. That's what I'd put in it and try to work on the cylinder if salvagable.

SG

Fingers McGee
December 13, 2008, 07:57 PM
Finally got it out this morning. Kroil did the job ovenight. Looks like the cylinder is a lost cause.

Keith

Kroil is wunnerful stuff. Bettern Balistol for some things :D:D