PDA

View Full Version : What is your "fear factor"?

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 02:10 AM
Can't think of a better title...
What creeps you out in the woods? Day and/or night?
For me A wildcat howl (even the first from a feral cat) raises my hackles but good. I ain't wigged out by spiders and snakes so long as I don't end up with them ON ME un seen in advance! At that time I do a dance that would make a schoolgirl laugh at me:o... Yeah a deer or pig I stir up at just a couple feet in the dark will make me freeze a second or 2 but that is about it I can think of...
Now take a gander at "Junior" on the right in the pic...
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b81/caughthog/Picture052.jpg
Burly lookin 18 year old boy of about 200 pounds and pretty much a solid young man... But for some reason he gets creeped out somethin bad when he hears a hoot owl... NO SIR HE JUST DON'T LIKE THAT SOUND!!!:eek::D He said following the owl hoots 'yote howls and yips comes in #2 on the pucker meter:rolleyes: It don't do him no good to be out hog doggin trying to be real quiet listening for dogs and hogs in the middle of a clear night and have a pack of yotes surrounding us yipping to each other in a 1/4 to 1/2 mile circle and they wake up 4-8 owls all within 100 yard radius...:eek: You would think he done entered a haunted house! So what is your pucker power?
Brent

freakintoguns
December 12, 2008, 02:36 AM
Spiders will get me every godlovin time! i hate those lil 8 legged demons!!! gah!

Hook686
December 12, 2008, 03:44 AM
Snakes ! Ever since I stepped over a log and put my foot on a coiled rattlesnake. I immediately flipped backwards to my right and ended in a mesquite bush. Every prick I felt from that bush I was sure was a rattlesnake bite. Ever since any snake, not just rattlesnakes, give my the creepy crawlers.

Hawg
December 12, 2008, 04:16 AM
Ever since I stepped over a log and put my foot on a coiled rattlesnake.

Never ever step over a log or fallen tree no matter how small. Always step up on it. Screech owls in the woods at night make me jumpy for a few minutes when I first hear one.

moose fat
December 12, 2008, 04:57 AM
Walking along on a nice trail near Sitka, big douglas furs all around and some muskeg medows back through the trees a beutiful river on the right, just after sunrise. You round a bend and notice salmon carcases strewn about on the trail. All the normal forest sounds stop. The squirels stop their chittering, the ravens stop flying and land on trees around you and watch. The river even seems quiter.

I backed out of there, figured I'd gone far enough up that trail. There are lots of other trails to walk up.

mav88
December 12, 2008, 04:59 AM
Big Grizzly bear...who's hungry and mad :D
they run faster than you think.....

Daryl
December 12, 2008, 07:17 AM
Thinking about it, not much in the wild really gets me. In fact, nothing I can think of.

I think such things are really cool; owls hooting, a wolf howling, an elk bugling. Heck, even spiders and snakes can be pretty facinating, as long as the poisonous ones aren't close enough to bite me.

Dad and I even had a mt lion screaming at us from just outside of camp once. I think it was after the horses, and it made them all kinids of nervous, but I stayed up with them for a while (yeah, with a firearm) until they settled down. They knew when the danger was gone.

Now, when a buddy shot an inland grizzly that charged at him, and we weren't sure how well he'd hit it, it made us both just a bit nervous until we found it dead.

Not really a fear factor, IMO; just showing that critter all the respect it was due! ;)

Daryl

deanadell
December 12, 2008, 08:56 AM
What creeps you out in the woods? Day and/or night?

Stumbling upon someones marijuana patch...........

bclark1
December 12, 2008, 09:01 AM
Basically anything that surprises me in the morning dark when I'm out alone. Call me a sissy if you have to. But I'm usually half asleep trying to not break the perfect quiet - then some deer blows at me or a pheasant flies up in my face, and even though I know I'm not in danger, it just tenses me up. Thankfully most of my hunting has been done in areas where bear, timber wolves, cats and poisonous snakes are almost never seen. Don't really have any, period, out here in Ohio now either.

rsh32crew
December 12, 2008, 09:04 AM
SNAKES

12GaugeShuggoth
December 12, 2008, 09:10 AM
I don't mind having a spider on me, but I can't stand to walk through a web in the dark. Sound-wise I think two raccoons fighting in the treetops above your head in the dark is an experience......not one I enjoy much either :) Animal-wise.....I don't care much for dogs, too many bad experiences with them.

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 09:13 AM
http://davidmichaelkennedy.com/blog/media/heather-banana-spider.jpg
We have these all over our woods... It seems they prefer the center of the sparrow catching tuff web about "YAY HIGH" (hogdogs holds his index finger to his nose) sprung 'tween the most walkable of sapling lined paths... When I encounter them in a planned setting I will capture bugs and toss them on the web to watch the spider rush in and kill then spin 'em up!
They are incredible web builders the large web is stitched up as tight as they can be but it is still too loose so they make a zig-zag stitch of thicker silk from the center downward to draw it taut... It also seems they have a built in "big critter excluder plan" as the outer most circle has dots and dashes looking markings of bright white and the nearly invisible regular silk like the rest of the web. Appears it is there as a warning that the web is there:D
In this link you can see some of the zig-zag handi-work...
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp3.blogger.com/_rFrGvQXogXE/RsJqzCZnZEI/AAAAAAAAArk/Q3qmHYW_6jQ/s400/zoo%2B033.jpg&imgrefurl=http://kimumphres.blogspot.com/2007/08/banana-spider.html&usg=__0C4drm4hwqZbCo-WC_6ugvscFzM=&h=400&w=300&sz=16&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=RJZ8t2wo2ZeMnM:&tbnh=124&tbnw=93&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dbanana%2Bspider%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dfirefox-a%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26sa%3DN
Brent

PDXGS
December 12, 2008, 09:22 AM
The sound of a bullet whizzing past me like an angry bee...it creeps me out and ****** me off.

But what really creeps me out is the felling I get when I walk into an area that is/was a meth kitchen or a pot farm.....with the everpresent threat of drug patch guards with guns and booby-traps.
I do a lot of Search and Rescue with a local sheriff's dept during hunting season and most of the time we can close an area down for a search mission. A lot of bow hunters stay in the woods despite our best efforts...but they're a bit sharper than most folks with guns. We also keep our SAR dogs closer and wearing blaze orange and bells so they're not as likely to be mistake for game.

texfar
December 12, 2008, 10:03 AM
Sitting in a temp ground blind at night, mile from the border, waiting for a bunch of hogs to find me, mountain lion or whatever else eats folks occasionally, when I hear some texmex being spoken 40 yards or less from me on posted land and I belong there!!!! Lock and Loaded I stay!
ken

ZeSpectre
December 12, 2008, 10:15 AM
I've done a lot of outdoors activities in the course of my life but I have to tell you the ONE thing that freaks me out worse than anything else, out in the woods, at night, is ALIENS (well the thought of aliens...thanks hollywood).

Go ahead, laugh, get it over with.

Ever since I saw that movie "fire in the sky" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_in_the_Sky) back in '93 all it takes is one recollection of that movie to have me jumping at every damned noise for half the night. Well, actually it's not the noise that makes me jumpy, it's those odd silences you get every now and then when ALL of the animal and insect sounds just....pause.

(let the teasing commence)

texfar
December 12, 2008, 10:23 AM
ZeSpectre, are they legal or illegal???? LOL... Know what ya mean though. I do believe in them things. But when it bets quiet at night near the border, it is usually the illegal ones......:D

.41 rem mag fan
December 12, 2008, 10:49 AM
Ticks and bears......:eek:

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 11:22 AM
Ticks you say? Them are just a given in our areas and we often feel the buggers while still in the woods but we always strip out doors and check our selves before going in... Ever since momma thought it was a pimple behind her ear the morning after I carried in the bed:eek: needless to say she put her foot down but hard!:mad:
Brent

davlandrum
December 12, 2008, 11:36 AM
meth kitchen or a pot farm

++1

I also have a real thing about mountain lions...Never used too until one night when we were getting a cow elk out of a canyon. The retrieval started in the daylight, so we were caught still deep in with just a little mag-light. So we have a gut pile in the dark behind us, blood on us, pitch black, clawing out way up a steep incline through normal western Oregon brush and brambles. And then a freaking cougar screamed..... I instantly realized I was walking cougar chum...

MeNoLikeTofu
December 12, 2008, 11:49 AM
To Mr. Hogdogs with the ginormous spider, you suck!
I get the heebie geebies with spiders:eek:... then I, as violently as possible, kill them.
Snakes, mountain lions, bears, whatever... those little eight-legged demons will do it every time. I'm not as bad as my sister, though. She's arachnophobic.
P.S. Hogdogs, you have beautiful dogs!:)

sureshots
December 12, 2008, 12:26 PM
Hot Dogs what A trick. Find A big spider on the Window,place your hand behind it and have junior take the picture. Just Kidding of course. ss

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 01:04 PM
Anyone from my neck of the woods may know "Hollywood" I won't post his real name but first letter is the same as nickname... This guy got his nickname cuz even as redneck as he is, he is suave... a real man's man and a lady charmin fella to boot! But his weakness is spiders... I don't mean he gets the creeps... I mean ANY SPIDER is a "AWWW HELL NO" moment... to pick on "HOLLYWOOD" you find a spider and trap it under an upside down cup on his work surface at lunch time and when he returns he moves the cup and nearly craps his pants... EVERYONE who knows "Hollywood" knows this...
A little girl of 15 daughter of the "bossman" knew not only this but that he would want his visor down leaving work... She placed a black plastic 2 inch halloween spider ring with the ring cut off on his visor... Lucky for "Hollywood" and his Z-71, he had a bestest bud with him when they left ye' ol' sugar mine... He got her wound up to above 70 (OH YEAH I FORGOT... "Hollywood" only drives wide open throttle EVERYWHERE:eek:) and pulled down the visor... This monster lethal plastic spider lands on his lap ... As he said it "I told that spider YOU CAN HAVE THE (expletive deleted) TRUCK..." He let go of the wheel so as to use BOTH hands to open the driver's door to leap out... LUCKY for them both his buddy only had to think a few seconds... "Do I bail out too, grab "hollywood" with one hand and the wheel with the other or let "SISSYBOY" go and use 2 hands on the wheel... He chose one hand on "Hollywood" and one on the wheel and all 3 lived to share the tale and confront the little 15 year old "BOSSMAN'S" daughter about not playing deadly jokes on certain folks!:D
Brent

fisherman66
December 12, 2008, 01:13 PM
An owl decided to light upon the metal railings of an elevated stand that I was in one dark, moonless November morning. I though my heart was going to pop. It stayed for a couple minutes. That's the coolest and most frighting hunting experience I've ever had.

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 01:30 PM
It was not out in the woods... In my back yard of a rent house was an 8X10 metal shed... It held some real nice OLD (means high quality) thin plywood the land lord told me to use or toss... well one day I go out there scheming a project and my house dog is going nuts wanting behind the upright stack. I peek down and see an old lint rat's nest... I decide I am gonna reach back behind the 4 foot high stack (no small feat for my 5'8" self) and jerk it out for "Tickie" to root in to leave me alone. Mind you this is an un lit shed with a full mid day sun behind me so i can't see real good... I pull on the lint nest and first thought was "it is stuck on the wood, DRAT, ruined sheet!" But I lift it on out and I am holding at face level, a HUGE sow possum by the fur on her back and she is right mad at me right then for waking her from her siesta! :eek: About the time she went to bite I realized I was holding a Marsupial hornets nest in one hand, I let go and she falls back behind the stack I still held off the back wall with my other hand... A few boot flavored treats for "Tickie" and I got her out of there and in the house to return with a high power air rifle to finish what I started... This possum easily weighed 15 or more pounds... I mean HUGEST I AM YET TO EVER SEE!!!!:D No soiled drawers but only cuz I was clenched up tighter than a 12 gauge shell in a 20 gauge gun...:cool:
Brent

fisherman66
December 12, 2008, 01:34 PM
Brent's scared of a little ole possum. That's funny;)

Chinny33
December 12, 2008, 01:55 PM
living in CA, Im ALWAYS afraid of Mtn Lions. NO ONE hunts them so they have almost NO reason to FEAR me and all my guns strung across my body.

It makes me nuts thinking about having at least 2 guns and a big field knife, STILL isnt enough if I get jumped. IM DEAD.

Also I surf and spearfish, and Im TERRIFIED of sharks.

Who wants to be on the bottom of the food chain? Talk about feeling like weaksauce.

On land, we are the slowest creature out there. In the ocean, we're the slowest moving creature out there. No wonder humans invented things like knives, spears, and guns!!!

critter44
December 12, 2008, 01:57 PM
Well, I was hunting one very dry fall and sleeping on a riverbank in a very small tent. I had a bunch of coyotes chase a deer until it ran INTO the side of my tent and kicked me in the head! THAT spooked me pretty badly for a while. I haven't been right since the kick in the head-but maybe I never was.

FrontSight
December 12, 2008, 02:20 PM
Can't really think of anything...growing up in the Bronx with the constant threat of getting jumped by two legged animals, you sort of develop a fear of nothing after a while...

texfar
December 12, 2008, 02:47 PM
Where ya livin now Scrap5000.

Ken

FrontSight
December 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Still in the Bronx, but the good part. lol

Have to go thru the bad part to get to the city, tho, and the subway can be a real experience sometimes in art of survival. Buses too...you'd be amazed at the numbers of wild animals in the concrete jungle :D

wpcexpert
December 12, 2008, 05:54 PM
We had those Bannana Spiders in SC too. The webs are insane. I got to watch the mating ritual from a treestand. That was pretty cool.

The scaredest I've ever been was on th ground, bow hunting up on the mountain, when a bobcat lets out a scream. Couldn't tell if it was in my hollar or 3-4 over the way the echo is up there.

But I guess my opinion is when I'm in the woods with a gun, I'm the baddest creature there. Nothing to really fear.

johnwilliamson062
December 12, 2008, 06:05 PM
centipedes and millipede. Just so many legs!!!!! move like a snake. The ones in the southwest are like 6 inches long and as big around as my thumb. SCARY!!!

wogpotter
December 12, 2008, 07:00 PM
I don't know, but it mumbled like an old grumpy man as it circled the tent, in the woods, 12 miles from a dirt road.

Pretty much anything I can identify is fine by me. Snakes I try to ID, if I can't then I avoid them. Hoot owls are kind of interesting, I seem to be able to call them to me without trying, just by imitating the sounds.

Mystery critters, mumbling to themselves at a 10~12 foot distance, in a circle Hmmmmm. I came very close to "explaining myself" to a game warden that night.

troy_mclure
December 12, 2008, 07:17 PM
yep unidentified noises make me twitchy as well, and sudden silences too.

davlandrum
December 12, 2008, 07:56 PM
In my younger days, as a complete newbie to the woods, I ended up at elk camp a day before everyone else - so I am all alone in the "wild". I used to just crawl under my jeep and sleep. It was one of those windy nights with lots of unidentified noises around.

Finally had to crawl out, "mark my territory" around my jeep, and then was able to get some sleep. Not sure it protected me from anything except my over active imagination...

It made sense at the time, but now is just flat funny to remember.

HAMMER1DOWN
December 12, 2008, 08:35 PM
Well, i can only remeber two time i have ever been scared in the woods... These are gonna be long winded!!!:D

1) I was out shootin squirells with my girl friend (her first time out hunting) and i gave her my old mans single shot .410, well we were just walking along she was behind me and then without warning she let loose one of them shells into the brush right in front of me:eek:...needless to say i almost crapped myself. When i turned aroun to ask WHAT THE F**K!!! she just pointed and when i looked she had taken down a bobcat...A BOBCAT... that was just sittin there i didn't even see it. i just sat there like why didn't i see that. she still hasn't let me live that down...

2) A couple of friends and me went out into the Sweetgrass Hills near my home for a day out shed hunting, well after a good day of picking up horns we were walking the 2+ miles back to the truck when we decided to split up and take a couple of coulees just for kicks.. It wsa getting close to dark and i was still about half a mile out when i walked by this bush when a frickin coyote, done started to bark and yip from right behind that bush it could swear i almost grabbeb one of them stars in the sky, after that i pulled out my walther .22 lr semi auto and just unloaded into the bush.. don't know if i got him but he stopped yippin and i high tailed it out of there.

Well i guess there was one more..

I was out bear hunting north of hungry horse in the great bear wilderness and as we were hiking (it had rained that night) we finally saw sign of bear but as we looked closer it wasn't the targeted kind of bear sign it was grizzly tracks!!!:eek: and they didn't have water in them like the deer and other tracks did... I didn't have a bear tag so i had brought my AR-15 and was just acting as hunting party guard. I wanted to turn around and go up a different one and the tracks just kept going. Never did see the bear(thank god) but i never did feel safe in that area it was just one of those gut feelings.

but those three are the only time i can ever remember being scared in the woods.
Thanks,
Bones

BradF
December 12, 2008, 08:46 PM
Bigfoot. I can't believe no one else has said that. One gets behind me ever time I walk out of the woods. :D

Seriously though. We had some yahoo turn some ostriches loose several years ago in our neck of the woods. One of my buddies had a close encounter with one of them alone in the woods after dark. The thing meant him no harm I'm sure but he dang near killed himself getting out of the woods.

JonnyReb
December 12, 2008, 09:52 PM
Even though i live at the edge of a populated city, we have our share of wildlife. On a rare snow day i was "still" hunting about 10 acres behind the house. As i finished my loop i saw something black, big and out of place at the base of a clump of bushes beside the path i was taking. I checked it out through the scope and it was a wolf.

After us watching each other for a moment the fella reversed out of the brush and began loping away from me. As i watched it move across the leafless opposing valley, it took the same path i had taken originally. It went in front of 2 of my deer cameras. I Got 35mm 5 by 7's of him to prove he was there. Black, yellow eyed, skinny and longlegged. Don't know how he got there but i think of him every now and then when walking back in from an evening stand hunt.

What really scares me more than anything is a treestand more than about 15 feet high. Heights never used to scare me but now for some reason they bother me a bit. Those 2 person ladder stands are right up my alley:)

hogdogs
December 12, 2008, 10:32 PM
Those ladder stands are the only way I will go up a tree to hunt. I am not confident with my self. I am fidgety, hyper, and most of all I could goof up and make a life changing mistake in a regular tree stand. But I do well enough on the ground...
Brent

JonnyReb
December 12, 2008, 10:53 PM
I will take a nap in a heartbeat and am scared i'll roll right out of that rascal if it doesnt have arms.

I admire whomever buys those tiny loc-on's and actually sits on them all day. First pi...urination of the day i'd fall.

Got invited to hunt an incredible area 2 thanksgivings ago. Wasn't expecting a hunt and was out of town. These wonderful folks soon had me fully equipped with coveralls/orange/gloves and a 94, 30-30 open sighted, that of course i'd never shot. Uh-oh....turns out it didnt matter.

I was dropped off at a trail that they said led to a clearing off a power line and i would see the oak tree stand. As stated, i found the nails in the oaks base and saw the loc-on WAY up in the tree. It looked bad. No rope to pull my gun up with. Stand 50 feet up...

I made sure the gun was unloaded(bad i know) slung it diagnal over my shoulder and started up. Sometimes it was nails, sometimes tree steps and sometimes limbs. I felt sicker the higher i went. Got to the top and there was a beautiful view of the surrounding clearing and power line. The loc on was just a sling seat and a small platform, held to the tree with a small gauge dog chain multiwrapped around it and the tree and nailed off. There was nothing to even grab to swing into the stand. I retreated.

I knew i had made a ton of noise and i gave up on the hunt. I sat at the bottom of the tree and contemplated the next two hours till dark.

I went back up. I got in the darned thing and sat. Out of breath and scared. Stayed dead centered and felt unsteady with just the wind blowing. Realized that if a 10 point came and did the chacha all the way around me, all i could do was try to hit him on my way down. I would never be able to twist to shoot. I gave up and with 100% pucker...climbed down.

Sat at the base, smoking cigarettes and feeling stupid. Saw something move across the right of way and was trying to stand up when i saw that it was the group of does that i was told crossed there every evening. I raised the gun but never even contemplated pulling the trigger or ever going up in a high stand again...J.R.

danweasel
December 13, 2008, 12:16 AM
My buddy who is native told me that owls are traditionally real bad juju. His Grandpa will go out of his way to go back to the house, grab a rifle and kill one if he sees it. There are the spirits of evil men back from the dead apparentely.

Anyways, I am scared of grizzies. Never was back home in California but for some reason there are scarier here. Maybe it's 'cause the woods are unfamiliar here, if that makes any sense.

texfar
December 13, 2008, 08:31 AM
I got a healthy respect for hogs at night folks. Was in a tree stand on my lease S. Texas near border. Lots of bogs, creeks etc, the particular place where I was. Dark, listening to turkeys thinking about coming out of the trees, about 30 min before you could actually see, owls hooting. Snapping teeth and growling around the area, Javalina. Next thing I heard put the hair right up. Very low growling and very very close and off my starboard quarter of the stand. I eased very slowly around and had my handgun in my right hand. Growling got closer and I still could not see what it was, only that it was coming! I was only about 6 feet up the tree and looked straight down the short ladder. Man it was a huge bore looking right up at me and just growling, really low rumbling growl. I can still remember thinking, "If you have learned to climb a ladder you are toast" was hunting deer and did not want to just shoot this thing unless he decided to test the ladder. He just kept look up at me and growling. He finally went away in no hurry. No deer that day and when I came out of the stand about 0830 I was very careful going back to my ATV. Got to the ATV and there were huge hog tracks all around it. Looked back and that sucker had tracked me to the tree from the ATV.

Went into a dense Mesquite thicket after a big wounded sow one evening turning dark and that is another story. Don't ever do it!!!

alloy
December 13, 2008, 08:42 AM
snakes dont bother me, but around here we have timber rattlers(LOTS) and copperheads. so i dont usually overturn rocks or stick my hands under fallen trees:rolleyes:

black bears are the issue in my immediate vicinity. they are protected, and by some folks even fed. they arent mindful of people.

we got some bears

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/PICT4747.jpg

texfar
December 13, 2008, 08:57 AM
Beautiful place alloy!!

alloy
December 13, 2008, 09:01 AM
yes. but its a odd place, some state law, mostly national forest law, lots of national park law, and some state park law. then where i live is nature preserve. this is off my balcony, but its very confusing even getting in a car and driving down the road with a firearm. seriously. would like to put a truck gun rack in my pickup, but i think it would cause me more problems than its worth. so it all has good and bad. game is everywhere. hunting that game is something else tho.

i hear the moonshine is ok:)

FireForged
December 13, 2008, 11:28 AM
a dozen cave crickets falling on you when its dark and you dont know what they are....

texfar
December 13, 2008, 01:56 PM
Alloy, still awsome for a cup of coffee!! Will dig up some photos of my view from Texas and Turkey.
Ken

indy245
December 14, 2008, 02:00 PM
I can't even look at that picture of that spider without getting the heebeegeebies. That is down right wrong. I'm not sure that I could walk around in a place where I know I would bump into something like that. When we encounter spiders here the largest ones are maybe the size of a dollar coin. I usually have to get the missus to help deal with any spiders encountered, she hates them too but seeing how much of a little girl I turn into when around them is enough for her to milk it. Just thinking about them stands the hair up on the back of my neck, nothing else does this just spiders.

Indy.

EastSideRich
December 14, 2008, 03:38 PM
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff115/dblbbldaryl/60083264ph_7913WaspFace800-1.jpg
Any time I have a close call with one of these guys I can feel them crawling all over my skin for an hour or more. Oddly enough, bees don't bug me, but any kind of wasp immediately puts me into panic mode.
It comes from when I was 12 years old; I was walking through the woods with my younger brother on a camping trip. He stepped on a log and his foot went right through it (and got stuck). As he was trying to get his foot un-stuck, I could hear a buzzing sound that got louder and louder until I started to get stung. I looked down and saw that my sweat pants were crawling with yellow jackets. I ran back to our camp site, and jumped into our car and shut the door. Then I realized I still had lots of these little bastards stuck to my pants and was now shut in a car with them and they weren't happy. You can imagine how that worked out for me.
After all was said and done I had about 30 stings. Interestingly enough my brother didn't get stung once - even though he was the one with his foot in their nest:confused:. Now I have a full blown phobia.
A few years ago I was in our attic and stepped on a big paper wasp on the floor with my bare foot. Somehow it didn't sting me, but it buzzed it wings (right under the arch of my foot). I still cant go in there without my pulse quickening and getting real jumpy.

FrontSight
December 14, 2008, 03:41 PM
Oh, I do recall my first bowhunt up a tree that I had to climb up on nails, in oversized boots, in the dark, with no safety harness, in an unfmiliar place...that was NOT fun.

And another time when th bottom part of the climber started to come undone when I leaned a little too much to the right. I had a harness but still, talk about a focusing of attention. That was the last time I didn't bother to ratchet the pieces in!!

MeekAndMild
December 14, 2008, 03:54 PM
Nothing like walking out of the woods in the dark and the night animals stop making noises. Then you start smelling cat pee where it wasn't when you went in the woods in daylight. The bobcats here run in size from slightly bigger than a house cat to one Mrs. Meek and I saw which was the size of a pit bull. So I'm really afraid to meet one in the dark.

I don't know, but it mumbled like an old grumpy man as it circled the tent, in the woods, 12 miles from a dirt road.Sounds like it may have been an armadillo. They make weird noises. First time I heard one it sounded something like Popeye the Sailor talking to himself.

wyobohunter
December 17, 2008, 01:08 AM
A "whoof" sound when I'm battling my way through an alder jungle... Also any noise at all when I'm on a solo backpack hunt laying in my tent at night. Little critters tend to grow into big critters in the minds eye and you hear every stinking one of them when there's nobody to talk to.

Viking Josh
December 17, 2008, 03:20 AM
Spiders give me the creeps, snakes are a bit intimidating, but a grizzly, I'd s**t bricks if one snuck up on me.

freakintoguns
December 17, 2008, 03:38 AM
let me put my fear of spiders liek this: iud rather box a grizzly bear barehanded and covered in honey then see a spider in the woods. when i was 16 or 17 we went campign and had a black widow crawl on my arm, im 6'1" and then i was 275 and could bnch 495 lbs to give you idea about my build....i screamed lieka 2 year old girl and booked it from the tent to my truck, and was back in town in 30 minutes. we were camping a hour and half out from town.

wyobohunter
December 17, 2008, 03:58 PM
I have to admit, I was pretty squeemish about spiders for most of my life. The military helped with that though. I've walked through lots of Banana spider webs while on night (training) patrols in Asian jungles, that sucked esp. when you can feel the bugger crawling on you.
What was worse was sleeping in the sand every night in Kuwait during the summer... Lots of critters really "get to know you" and are "there to great you" in the morning. Snakes haven't really bothered me too much, we used to eat lots of Rattle snakes when I was growing up in Montana. I did however "drop trou." in Kuwait only to have a pit viper appear and start chasing me. Maybe he wasn't actually chasing me but when you are back peddling with your pants around your ankles it sure seems like the chase is on. After about 6 swats with my e-tool the "chase" was over.
To me, something that can pick me up and shake me in its' mouth is really scary.

Noonan
December 18, 2008, 02:57 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=312428

grymster2007
December 18, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm fearless! :D

The aliens thing bothers me a bit though. I know aliens have never visited Earth and they probably aren't coming in my lifetime either, but my little brain stem always say "what if" when I'm in the dark woods or driving a desolate section of road at night.

Alien is the only movie that ever scared me. None of the sequels did and no other movie has come close. I'm always looking for another scare that would equal that. Tried "Fire in the Sky" but it just didn't do anything for me.

Huntergirl
December 18, 2008, 06:44 PM
Grizzley bear, beautiful, but not near me.:eek:

Swampghost
December 18, 2008, 08:50 PM
Don't really have one.

Had a Puma sneak up on me once, that would have been a H*** of a fight.

Got charged by a big boar hog, that was pretty intense for a few seconds.

One that really raised the hackles was finding two pairs of of non-human footprints that were still filling with water when my youngest bro and I were rabbit hunting south of SR84. We were both carrying 12ga's so not too much to worry about but we both went on full alert. I have believed in the Skunkape ever since.

Those Banana spiders will put a hurtin' on you. I had a buddy got bit on the belly and he sported a purple patch the size of a dinner plate for about two weeks. I walk the dark with a small branch in front of me.

scorpion_tyr
December 18, 2008, 11:20 PM
Had a puma near me. Didn't know it. All I knew was it got really quiet and I got really scared. Walked away and didn't sleep well. Found the tracks about 50 yards from where I had been hanging out. That's not all that close, but it was close enough to scare the hell out of me. And they say there's no mountain lions in East TX. Not many, but they're there. That's what scares me most in the field. The unknown.

JonnyReb
December 18, 2008, 11:39 PM
Whenever i get spooked by whatevers going bump in the night, i will start planning how bad i'm going to mess it up if it's dumb enough to try me. I'm no badarse but the war cry it'll hear before we tangle may be enough to send it packin. Always helps to know you've got a plan. *

*this would not include alligators:eek:

hogdogs
December 18, 2008, 11:45 PM
Reb, Them lizards are one of the less *spooky* critters to me. While I am not a gator wrestler, I know I can't out run them so a side step and pounce is my only planned defense...:o Yeah I hear ya'll now... "Hey H-dogs, lemme know how that pounce works for ya...":rolleyes:
Brent

onthejon55
December 19, 2008, 01:45 AM
Sasquatch...

JonnyReb
December 19, 2008, 09:01 AM
Well i guess you gotta do something...pouncing's a heckuvalot better than fainting. Maybe.

I'm not afraid of gators to see one from a boat or even eyeing each other from a bit of a distance.....it's the thought of the "jaws" effect. Your wading in some 3 ft deep water, in a florida canal, trying to slay some peacock bass. All of the sudden you feel a bump and a 10 footer grabs your leg and starts spinning. Pouncing at that point would be hard if not impossible so at that point either dig your kershaw out of your pocket and filet the sob or faint:D

Not that you'll ever find me wading around in florida freshwater...If i ever do a guided fishing trip in florida and the guide shows up with some of them belly boats...we ain't goin!!:eek:

hogdogs
December 19, 2008, 09:23 AM
Wading in a florida canal is a dicey situation... When hog hunting it is forced on us to stay with the dogs quite often... But I do not just decide all willy nilly to wade in one!:cool: That is kind of up there with a fluffy pomeranian entering one of my otherwise dog friendly bulldog's chain circle and yappin in her face while she has a t-bone in under her face:eek:... No sir I am high up on the ladder of predators and don't intentionally step down a rung or 3:rolleyes:
Brent

Kreyzhorse
December 19, 2008, 10:56 AM
Snakes totally freak me out....... Almost stepped on a rattler in Wyoming so that really cranked up the snake fear factor.

A close second is spiders. My buddy found a black widow spider while turkey hunting this spring..... Hate spiders but now that black widows are hiding in open fields, it's even worse.

T. O'Heir
December 20, 2008, 01:49 AM
I don't like snakes, but I'm bigger than they are so I get over the scare quickly. The bush, up here, is decidedly gentle when compared to some places. Venomous snakes are extremely rare(Massasauga rattlers are endangered and their bite doesn't kill. You'll get really sick. Just seeing one is a thrill. I think I saw a wee one, once. He was asleep streched out on a rock.), no nasty spiders(you bunch of sissies. You weigh a billion times more than any spider. Geez!) nor big cats. Yogi is smart enough to stay away from people for the most part. Stupid people moving into Yogi's back yard and not taking measures with their garbage, etc are encountering him seemingly more, but left alone, Yogi will just go about his bear life and leave you alone too.
The night is your friend if you learn to deal with it.
What does he think an owl is going to do?

Capt Charlie
December 20, 2008, 01:16 PM
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned skunks. They're absolutely fearless (with good reason ;) ) and rule the night.

I was sitting in a field under a full moon one night when I heard rustling in the grass and saw a white patch moving right beside me. I froze and it walked down to my feet and proceeded to chew on my shoestrings :eek:. I discovered a whole new meaning to "cold sweat" :D. It fooled around for eternity (a whole 10-15 seconds) before deciding the smell from my feet wasn't, in fact, coming from a relative and moved on.

If you've ever received a direct blast from one of these guys, you know it's a fate worse than death :D.

hogdogs
December 20, 2008, 09:38 PM
Capt.C, You know the one time I use mommas cherokee to hunt and one of the dogs got a full face shot... It is my general way to just load the dogs as I ain't ever done any good after a dog gets sprayed. Junior wanted to hog tie the dog to the roof rack:barf::eek:
Brent

grymster2007
December 21, 2008, 03:10 PM
before deciding the smell from my feet wasn't, in fact, coming from a relative and moved on.

A very discerning skunk! :)

I had to wait 10 minutes for one to meander across the driveway one morning. Until then, I had not liked the cat that hung out under my truck. Now I'm happy to see him 'cause that means there's no skunk under there. :)

TheNatureBoy
December 21, 2008, 04:25 PM
As long as I don't see a snake I'm ok. Some of the guys keep talking about seeing a ape/man like creature they call "hootie" in the woods. Haven't seen him as of yet. Probably would rather see him than a snake :o

JonnyReb
December 21, 2008, 04:33 PM
About the skunks... Not at all scared of them and actually kind of like the smell... but only from a distance.

Was walking in to my stand the other week by moonlight and saw something glimmer in the trail ahead. Wisely i snapped my light on and am glad i did as a skunk was digging in the trail. He paid me no attention at all as i went around but if i'd booted him in the dark i'd have had one heck of a good cover scent for a week or two!!..J.R.

onthejon55
December 21, 2008, 04:50 PM
+1 skunks

I got that lesson form my grandpa at a young age. when your setting out box traps for rabbits. "If you open the door and see black and white, RUN LIKE HELL!"

Deet
December 21, 2008, 06:21 PM
The only thing that gets me scared is a big ole hole on the side of the trail. I never know what made the hole, if its in there, or if it is going to come out and attack me, I surely hate hole digging creatures.

bcarver
December 21, 2008, 09:55 PM
Covey of quail-early in the morning-bursting straight up.

troy_mclure
December 21, 2008, 10:37 PM
ive been sprayed before, luckily i had just turned to run away!

sc928porsche
December 21, 2008, 11:25 PM
Im not afraid of the dark, only what is in it.

Swampghost
December 21, 2008, 11:49 PM
'There's nothing in the dark that ain't there during the day.' My Dad.

Swimming the ACE canals with big gators can be be a little daunting. Actually I hate the boredom of sitting on the side for an hour to see what pops up. If a big one shows, you have to move a ways and wait for another hour.

I also learned that the human body is not designed to be soaked for 3 days.

deanadell
December 22, 2008, 09:49 AM
Quail

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Covey of quail-early in the morning-bursting straight up.

+1 on Quail.....:eek:

I stepped right into a covey of them walking through an opening between wood lots while I was squirrel hunting. They held till I darn near stepped on them and I about soiled myself....LOL

SavageSniper
December 22, 2008, 05:24 PM
"The Feeling" freaks me out more than anything. You guys know what I mean. You are alone in the woods, it is dark and nice and quiet. Then you get "The Feeling". Like someone or something is watching you. When you get the chills and the hair on your neck stands up. We are grown men, armed and a bit tougher than your run of the mill man. But when you get the feeling you feel like a kid again and your mind wonders. Is it a deer, possum, Bigfoot, or maybe the ghost of someone.......Ever been there?

zahnzieh
December 23, 2008, 11:16 PM
Reflective eyes freak me out, deer or yote eyes when you get them in a flashlight/headlight. Like demon/devil eyes or worse cougar. Seems we are seeing more cats in the Midwest (IL<WI<IO) . Not a month goes by when some hunter sees one on his trail-camera. Makes you think twice when dragging a deer in the dark!!:eek:

Swampghost
December 23, 2008, 11:26 PM
Big kitties would worry me about as much as a Griz. We still have a few cats down here, my only FTF with one was over 40 yrs. ago.

zahnzieh
December 25, 2008, 02:30 AM
Yeah, And with you guys afraid of spiders - I'm with you 100%. A friend of mine had a real harrowing experience. Seems he was hanging tree-stands at his lease in So. Illinois. Weather was warm, he had nothing but a tee-shirt on his upper body. Felt a slight sting on his back, thought nothing of it. He started stuttering a half hour later, drinking everything in sight. Had his wife check him - small blasck dot on his lower back. First doctor thought it was an infection ,gave him antibiotics. 24 hours go by, spot is now baseball size with a black streak going across his chest. Shivering uncontrollably he's admitted to hospital. doctors run tests and tell him he has been bitten by a brown recluse spider. Tell him that if venom has spread to his organs (liver , kidneys) he will need an organ transplant!!! Turns out venom is only in his nerves,skin but they have to cut out the venomous area. General anaesthesia cannot be given due to weakened state - so only local anaesthesia (lidocaine). They excised this area out of him - he says it smelled like 3 dozen rotten eggs - I guess the venom turns flesh gangrenous. He spent 3 weeks in hospital and another 3 months recuperating at home! These spiders are found throughout the south - especially in gas-station restrooms!!:eek::eek::eek:

freakintoguns
December 25, 2008, 02:47 AM
thats the damned freakiest thing too, its worse when your at a river run type car show and its liek 3 in the mornign and everyones passed out and you get that feeling!

i had a friend get bit on his hand by a brown recluse and lost 3 fingers

FrankenMauser
December 25, 2008, 04:42 AM
Bears

Too many bad experiences with bears.

I hate seeing anything that has to do with a bear.....

akr
December 25, 2008, 05:16 AM
I'm darn near afraid of everything. I don't even know where to start. :o

zahnzieh
December 26, 2008, 04:03 PM
"Lions and tigers and bears, oh my!!"

jckeffer
December 27, 2008, 08:17 PM
Turkeys! While turkey hunting with a friend near Troy, AL we called in several turkeys. My friend finally shot one at 20 yards. What happened next scared the #&*?%$# out of us. Two big toms had crept up to with 10 feet of us undetected (from behind). At the shot they took off, making a hellacious commotion!!! We both jumped a couple of feet in the air:o:p:o

jckeffer
December 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
Bad hunters!

The hunting buddy of a friend killed by a hunter with a muzzleloader - 'mistook it for a deer'. Guy who joined our hunting camp shot a moose in a clear meadow, broad daylight, less than 100yrs - thought it was an elk. Loaned an 'experienced hunter/shooter' a single shot H&R 16ga while duck hunting. We were sneaking up on some ducks on a pond in south Texas when all of a sudden the gun went off - 6 inches from my right foot. He was carrying it cocked! More that you read about every season, more hunters killed by other hunters than bears, cougars, snakes combined. More careful who I hunt with now than in my youth.

akr
December 27, 2008, 08:35 PM
I have never seen a human being that looked like a deer, especially with his orange on. Now, I have seen some that could be mistaken for hogs.

STEINER
December 31, 2008, 04:42 PM
Many years ago. My parents take the family camping for a week. I met two other kids while hiking around the location my dad decided to set up camp.
My older sister, younger brother, these two other kids, a big black german shepard and myself go hiking. No particular destination, just following narrow trails.
We came up on a pond. The pond was about 100' in diameter and surrounded by trees. The dog ran over to what turned out to be a dead horse. What we saw was a horse that was partially eaten and had been dragged up to the edge of the pond. Sort of creeping us all out.

The shepard gets our attention... growling while standing at the edge of the pond and looking across it.

Suddenly this huge hairy head starts emerging from the center of the pond.
As this thing rises to waist level, the dog gets cold feet and starts back peddling and whinning. We all freaked out. Took off running down the trail we came from. If I remember correctly, I was screaming like a little girl in unison with my sister.
We are all hysterical and explain to my Dad what we saw.
He says he will go check it out later and does. Dead horse, yes....
great big hairy human-like, water drenched monster with piercing eyes... no.
I kid my sister (lives 1000 miles away) whenever we get together. She saw it,
I saw it and we have never tried to convince anyone what we believe we saw.

billythekid007
December 31, 2008, 05:21 PM
snakes snakes snakes

Flat Tire
December 31, 2008, 08:28 PM
this was a hunded yards from the house-
http://i43.tinypic.com/rw07dg.jpg

Art Eatman
January 1, 2009, 10:45 AM
I dunno as I'm afraid of anything. Sure, I'll jump away from a rattlesnake's buzz, or snatch my hand back from a scorpion, but that's just natural caution--after which I'll probably become the one who should be feared. :)

Just seeing a snake, a cougar or a pack of feral dogs doesn't make me afraid. I'll take appropriate action, as the situation demands or as my mood decides...

Aw, okay, I'll recant a little: Fear is induced by a Yankee with a U-Haul. :D:D:D

JagFarlane
January 1, 2009, 10:58 AM
Snakes, pure, plain, and simple. I understand their purpose in nature, and fine by that. But will go out of my way to leave them alone.

sparkysteve
January 1, 2009, 11:42 AM
Spiders are evil and creep me out every time. Also, jumping a pheasant or partrige in the dark is good for staining my undies every time. I was tracking a bow-shot deer in the dark this fall and jumped a partridge. I almost stepped on it. It flew straight up and hit me in the face. Got my heart going pretty good.

BK1977
January 1, 2009, 07:49 PM
CHIGGERS!! and ticks, had two buddy's that got the Rocky Mt spotted fever this year and I got into chiggers so bad early season I almost had a wire scraper out!!

Playboypenguin
January 1, 2009, 08:14 PM
Millipedes...they make me run for cover every time. :eek: :( :eek:

Wayward_Son
January 1, 2009, 09:53 PM
I have no phobias of anything in the natural world. My creepy crawlies are all of the social type: being seated next to strangers at a dinner party, that sort of thing. Yeah, I'm neurotic.

In the natural world? Nothing. Heights? Water? Spiders? Snakes? Open spaces? Closed spaces? Nothing. No problemo.

But there are a few that certainly make me cautious: bears and mountain lions. Carnivores that are large enough to eat me have my utmost respect. More than that? Other humans. I feel that I stand a worse chance against some idiot with a gun than against anything that Mother Nature can send.

But you know what will make me jump out of my boots every [sic] time? A ruffed or blue grouse exploding out from beneath my feet. Those little bastards should be exterminated. (And then eaten in a tasty stew, or roasted in a crust of garlic and rosemary!)

tuffteddyb
January 3, 2009, 01:48 AM
MICE!
and standing outside in the fall outside yer camp at three in the morning and standing there enjoying nature and washing the tree that desperatlley needed it and about 3 million wolves start to howl around yah!that definatley creeped me out ,only took 3 days for the hair on my neck to lay down again!:eek:

Rocked
January 3, 2009, 03:06 AM
Yeah, spiders for me. There used to be a ton of banana spiders around my home which would creep me out. I got bit on the face a few years ago and my face swelled up pretty good for a few days. I couldnt open one eye. As long as I see the web Im fine, as long as they leave me alone Ill leave them be.

Ive never worried bout aliens out in the bush. Figured if they wanted people theres better places to find us. Unless we are talking about the Predator...

Tucker 1371
January 3, 2009, 02:01 PM
Hogdogs, you suck. :D Just the thought of running into that beast of a spider made me have a nervous twitch:eek::eek:. Spiders suck, I actually love snakes though, Ive always wanted a pet boa. So yeah it's spiders for me, not much else though.

Playboypenguin
January 3, 2009, 02:14 PM
I do not see how you guys can all hate spiders. Spiders are beautiful and beneficial creatures. Millipedes are evil incarnate. :)

jckeffer
January 3, 2009, 02:45 PM
The mice story reminded me of a time back in 1970 when my buddy and I took our girlfriends hiking in Hard Scrabble Canyon, Utah. We hiked along the stream at the bottom of the canyon for about ½ an hour then stopped for a little picnic. The girls were setting out the spread when my girlfriend started to scream bloody murder. :eek: She was barely able to point at something inside her part leg about 2/3 up between her knee and ‘waist’. I didn’t know what else to do so I just grabbed whatever it was from the outside of the pant and tried to work it down. Eventually I got it down below her knee and then it suddenly dropped out – yes a mouse! Must have crawled up the fabric of her pants until it got tight and then turned and tried her leg, that’s when she finally felt it. Needless to say she was freaked and is terrified of mice to this day!

When we got back to her house and told the story her family thought it saw hilarious – her Mom said she would have shucked the pants in a heartbeat. I guess I should have dated her Mom
:p;)

akr
January 3, 2009, 02:53 PM
A naughty spider bit me on the back of the leg when I was in bed, and I still have the scar. :eek:

Playboypenguin
January 3, 2009, 02:53 PM
Mice??? Mice are cute and fuzzy.

I guess we recently had a mouse give birth in our garage because we had about two weeks of my cats bringing tiny little mice, just old enough to leave the nest, into the house from that garage. They would not even be injured. the cats would just pick them up and bring them inside. I would have to chase them down and catch them and release them outside. :)

Wyattearp
January 4, 2009, 04:45 PM
The feeling. Times I've felt it:

Hunting deer in the sagebrush and scaring up a pheasant rooster.

Hearing my dad tell of a time he heard an elk bugle in in the quiet dark of an unfamiliar forest.

Thinking about a mountain lion scream while hiking.

Taking out the garbage to the burn pit behind our Idaho farm house...after seeing the documentary on Bigfoot. I took to carrying the 30-30 with me.

Then one night camping with my 10-year old I asked him "you don't suppose there are still mountain lions around here, do you?" Seeing his eyes grow wide...priceless.

It isn't the wilderness unless you're no longer the top of the food chain.

Playboypenguin
January 4, 2009, 05:16 PM
Taking out the garbage to the burn pit behind our Idaho farm house...after seeing the documentary on Bigfoot.
It is funny you say that. I was raised in an area of WV that had multiple bigfoot sighting and our own local monster (Mothman). After watching The Legend of Bogey Creek" on VHS as a teen I remember being very freaked out on the 6 mile walk through the country to get back home. I had made that walk a dozen times with nothing but moonlight to guide me down unlit, gravel and dirt roads but this time I was very aware of every sound and movement. It did not help that I had to walk by the old TNT plant (by the fairgrounds) that was supposedly the home of the Mothman.

I would have loved to have a rifle with me that night...I did usually take my .22mag revolver with me in the woods at that age. Especially if I was just walking up to a friends and then home. I did not think it would fair to well against a bigfoot. :)

shortwave
January 6, 2009, 06:06 PM
'Bigfoot' for me also. My brother enjoys calling me up before deer bow season and spring turkey season to remind me one of the latest sightings and taped vocalization in Ohio happens to be about a 1/4 mile from my house(via a bigfoot website he gets on):(. He also reminds me that since I live in the middle of same woods I should wonder what is watching me when I`m traveling to and from stand in darkness:rolleyes:.

teeroux
January 6, 2009, 06:34 PM
I once thought about renting a bigfoot suit and doin the ape walk in front of a friends game camera at night! Still havent got around to doin it.:D

Playboypenguin
January 6, 2009, 06:49 PM
I once thought about renting a bigfoot suit and doin the ape walk in front of a friends game camera at night! Still havent got around to doin it.
You might also end up walking in front of someone else's gunsights. :eek:

akr
January 6, 2009, 06:55 PM
Yeah, if some think a hunter wearing bright orange is a deer, no telling what they will think a guy in a bigfoot suit is.lol

hogdogs
January 6, 2009, 07:03 PM
From young ages my momma and her siblings as well as cousins would go to "spook hill" and just do things to passing cars...
As they aged as adults they all got the itch to relive their youth... My dad bought a bunch of "feaux fur" coats from goodwill and sewed them up into a full suit for the LARGEST of her brothers... He is a big tall feller and his knuckles already drag the ground when he walks...
Well I think one motorist about wrecked so they decided "Spook Hill" was best left to the next generations...
Brent

Playboypenguin
January 6, 2009, 07:08 PM
My father did a similar thing in his youth. Him and friend rigged up and outfit to look like the mothman and went out to scare people in the TNT area of Pt. Pleasant, WV. It was all great fun until they got shot at by a local sheriffs deputy and then arrested.

rem870hunter
January 6, 2009, 08:23 PM
sitting in a treestand in the pitch black dark, and i started hearing twigs snapping like something is walking towards me. the hairs on my neck stood up. i turn my flashlight on shone it around slowly and saw nothing but trees. i wait a minute or 2 before trying to climb down and i heard it again,turn my light on again and look around, still nothing. i almost slept in that tree that night. i didn't have my shotgun or m/l that time i had my bow. whatever it was theres no way it was a squirrel, i hunted from that stand for another 2 seasons and never heard it again. now i don't stay out after dark unless i got one of my guns. and the funny part is i want to hunt coyote and fox at night :eek:.

Art Eatman
January 7, 2009, 11:12 AM
By the time I joined the Boy Sprouts--still too young to go scouting girls--I'd already had some years of running the brush. .22 rifle, trap line, bows&arrows, all that Injun stuff.

One night at Scout Camp, we were sitting around a campfire, and folks got started telling snake stories. Now, y'all know I wouldn't get heavy into embroidering rattleworm stories, right? Nothing but the truth! Some of the townies were getting really twitchy. Seriously nervous.

"Penny box of matches": Small box, wooden matches. If you just happen to have one, and it's about 1/4 or 1/3 full, you can rattle it behind Young Mr. Twitchy and become a strong believer in Levitation.

SavageSniper
January 7, 2009, 01:52 PM
It amazes my ho many here, myself included, have mentioned bigfoot. I am sure that most of us do not actually believe it is real. Maybe we want it to be real or is it something that is in our Psyche. I have had dreams of it since I can remember.
Here is a story that did not scare me until 20 years later. I was hunting for what ever jump up one evening. It was late, almost dark. The woods across from our farm was mostly pines, but had a large oak bottom which is were I was at. I heard this loud noise that could only be described as a shrill like howl. Heard it 4 times. As a teenager at the time I had seen and heard everything that is in our area but this was new. It was not a bird, yote, cow or human. Kinda freaked me out but did not scare me. Since it was so late I could not go check it out. Fastfoward about 20 years and I am on the net looking at things I should not be looking at, like bigfoot sites. I play this audio file of what is supposed to be a bigfoot howl and every hair on my body stood up. I immediately remembered the time hunting- IT SOUNDED THE SAME!! Scared the fool out of me.

hogdogs
January 7, 2009, 02:02 PM
SS, Look up, on u-tube, red fox howl and you will likely hear your bigfoot again;) More than one grown man has nearly lost control of the waste evacuating muscles at the sound of a fox scream!
Brent

FrontSight
January 7, 2009, 02:07 PM
Hahahahha, you guys are funny, spooked by this, scared by that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, it's just funny to me that grown men, with guns, would get by the heebie-jeebies.

Spiders and snakes & bears & falling, etc, of course, those are all real dangers and I understand the caution with those, but big foot and mothman & ghosts just make me chuckle all over :D

Please keep them coming tho, I love the stories & you guys describe them well, makes me feel like I was there...

teeroux
January 7, 2009, 03:13 PM
You might also end up walking in front of someone else's gunsights.

Well i would dress up on sight behind the camera with a flashlight and turn it out just to walk in front of it. lol

Not walk or ride through the wood dressed like bigfoot i have some sense.

zahnzieh
January 7, 2009, 09:35 PM
Gee. I need all you guys addresses - just finished my Mothman costume. Anybody remember that horrible film with Richard Gere about Mothman? To this day when my wife and i travel at night and a moth splats on the windshield we yell "OOOH NOOO, WE KILLED MOTHMAN!!!!":D:D:D:D

Major Dave (retired)
January 29, 2009, 05:42 PM
Oh dark thirty, I parked a mile from where I intended to deer hunt, alone, and began to walk that way under a moonless, starless night. Heavy overcast sky, no sky glow from nearby citiy. While crossing an open field of considerable size, a thundering herd of ??? suddenly surrounded me. The noise was deafening, and since I literally couldn't see my hand in front of my face, I had no idea which way to duck/dodge, or otherwise scramble out of their way. No trees, bushes to hide behind. Semi-arid area, so not even tall grass to hide in. Just me in the wide open, totally blind, surrounded by a thundering herd, with no prior warning.

All I could do was crouch down and make myself as small as possible, hoping that they wouldn't stomp me into the ground.

The area held elk, whitetail deer, and possibly buffalo (American Bison). Maybe cows?

Still don't know what they were. Didn't get stomped, and all was quiet after about 10 or 15 seconds. A LONG 10 or 15 seconds!!

Got a 175 (gross) B&C buck at first light.

hogdogs
January 29, 2009, 06:37 PM
retired, I woulda sheeerappped my britches... Great moment to reflect on ones exact rung of the food chain ladder!
Brent

snevensmores
February 5, 2009, 04:55 PM
When I was 17, I wanted to prove to my friends that I was a "man." I set out alone at midnight on a cold November night. I planned to hike along side the road in the pitch black ~3.5 miles to my grandma's old abandoned house, camp out for a couple hours, and head back under the blanket of night.

I was walking down a deep, pitch black dip as the road cut between the woods and a dry, thick cornfield. I had heard a few deer grunts, but it was now eerily silent and pitch black.

About the time I thought that I was truly alone out there, a deer hit that dry cornfield going full tilt. I about left some "tracks" of my own on the side of that dark country road.

To top things off, upon arriving at my grandma's house, a stray pit bull came charging at me from out of nowhere and scared the bejesus out of me again. Luckily, he just wanted to be friends.

Moral of the story -- don't challenge yourself to stupid "adventures," and always pack extra underwear.

eaglesnester
February 13, 2009, 11:17 AM
Goin in the thick devils club after a wounded grizz. Nothing like it, I guarantee the old pucker factor will notch up about 10 points.:eek:

Byron Quick
February 13, 2009, 01:58 PM
Snakes that are seen don't bother me. I've handled them, caught them and kept them for a time. Owls have landed on branches by my stand where I could poke them with my rifle. The only thing about spiders that bothers me is getting that darned web out of my face. I was poking around under a short, plywood tower stand when I looked up at the platform. Nice, big, fat black widows inches from my face. Now I left right then but I wasn't freaked out.

Hoots and howls are no problem.

But I stood on a copperhead one day without knowing it. Close enough to its head that it couldn't quite reach over the top of my eight inch boots. Darn thing struck three times with me totally oblivious. I had taken a couple of steps away when I saw movement in my peripheral vision. Saw the snake where I had just been standing. Looked down at my boots and saw three pairs of cloudy fluid dribbling down my boot. Put my twelve gauge auto shotgun eighteen inches from that snake's head. Pulled the trigger. I was shaking so bad that I missed twice.

Got out of my truck one day, pivoted and was face to face with a hornets' nest about the size of a basketball. Teleportation is possible. I was back in the truck with the door closed before the first hornet hit the window. I'd have been in a mess if I had locked the door.

But with snakes and hornets, it's not their presence. It's being unknowingly in their presence that gets me.

roy reali
February 14, 2009, 10:07 PM
California license plates.

hardhit
February 14, 2009, 11:39 PM
This troll like mythical Creature.

phil mcwilliam
February 15, 2009, 12:40 AM
After last weekends bushfires claimed possibly 300 lives in the state of victoria, Australia- I would say bushfire in summer when hunting the bush would have to be added to any fear factor list.

Swampghost
February 15, 2009, 01:16 AM
Skunk ape? Yep! I'm a believer. Been too close.

Voyageur
February 15, 2009, 01:28 AM
I cannot recall ever being nervous about being in the mountains alone or hearing strange noises. The mountains seem like a warm friendly place to me but I cannot say the same about towns or cities.

Last hunting season I did have a nasty scare when I ran into this:

PaddyWhacked
February 15, 2009, 03:40 AM
Dick Cheney :p

Swimming in murky water and having something brush up against your leg.

youp
February 15, 2009, 04:17 AM
Ruffed grouse.

Well truth be known it was a one time thing. I was trying to coon hunt with a bear hound, she would tree a coon provided no bear were about. Just black bears, no grizz here. It was a nice night for the woods and I normally hunted by myself. The hound decided to work on a bear, in an area that had been logged that summer. The remaining tree tops were thick with dried leaves. The dog was baying the bear, the bear was backed into a tree top. Bears have a reputation to charge a light. I never had it happen to me, but other houndsmen I know swear it happens. The little Mossberg 22 is stuffed to the gills and I am proceeding into the melee. The adrenaline is probably a quart and a half overfull. So I almost step on a 'partridge'... no doubt about it. The beating of the wings up my chest and wing tips caressing my face gave me about all the thrill I can handle.

Shaun_300
February 16, 2009, 09:29 PM
Not really scared to death over anything in the woods. The howl of a timberwolf sends chills up my spine/stands the hairs up on the back of my neck everytime! I'm not a huge fan of snakes, but we just have small, non-poisonous ones here, so I'm not that startled by them. A partridge that takes off in front of you will startle you quite a bit too, even if you're hunting them! :D

chemgirlie
February 18, 2009, 11:14 AM
I'm okay with most things. I keep a couple of exotic pets (I currently have a scorpion, a snake, and a tarantula), so I'm pretty much okay with all of the creepy crawlies. In my neck of the woods most things will leave you alone if you make enough noise.

However, there is one thing that almost made me pee my pants once. I was biking and saw 2 bear cubs come out of the woods about 25 yards on front of me. I didn't see the mom, but she couldn't have been far away. That moment was by far the fastest I have ever biked.

Vanya
February 18, 2009, 02:14 PM
That moment was by far the fastest I have ever biked.

:eek::eek:

Which way did you go? :D

bufordtjustice
February 18, 2009, 03:23 PM
I was blessed (or cursed, depending on how you look at it) to go through the Jungle Warfare School in Ft. Sherman Panama many moons ago. I hate spiders, snakes and assorted crawly things and a jungle of course has those in spades. After spending a day or so being extra careful when you touched anything, you slowly begin to relax and accept your surroundings. Not LIKE but ACCEPT. There is a big difference.

I can tolerate anything as long as I see it first and can give it a wide berth. I think we as humans have lost a lot of our skills regarding sensing and observing what is going on around us. Maybe that is what really creeps us out. I mean, the fact that these things seem to magically appear right in our faces, etc.

Of course when it gets dark in the jungle, it gets really dark. And with no fire to see, the sense that animals and insects are conspiring against you is very real.

sserdlihc
February 18, 2009, 03:50 PM
was one time I was coming out of the the woods on my 4 wheeler when I saw a reflection in a thicket. I pulled up next to the thicket and shinned my flashlight and it was a dang mannequin! Scared me to death! I thought that I had come up on a body! To this day, when I drive by that thicket...it still wigs me out.

madmo44mag
February 18, 2009, 04:05 PM
"What is your "fear factor"?" was the thread title!

The sound of a bolt or round being chambered out in the dark beyond where I and my fellow hunters are.
This is a 12 on the pucker meter.
Other than that there are very few things in the woods that will get over a pucker factor of 2.

bolt face
February 18, 2009, 05:57 PM
Running out of wild land to get lost in.

silvrjeepr
February 18, 2009, 06:23 PM
I used to enjoy bow hunting the back swamps of Yazoo Wildlife reserve in MS. One morning I accidently stumbled upon a gator nest and mother gator nearby gave chase. :eek::eek::eek: My first and only thought? RUN!!! :eek: It's probably a good thing for me the thick trees kept her speed down and that I had a good head start (she was on the far side of the nest from me). I can't say how far she chased me (less than 100 yards for sure), but I didn't slow down until I had cleared the woods, the cotton field next to the woods, and the ditch that I parked beside (I'd say about 1000 yards all total). I'll bet it was a sight that morning to anyone coming in late to see a guy coming out of the woods and across the field at a full sprint then diving into his truck and hauling it down the road. :D I haven't hunted those woods since (happened about 14 years ago)

Another..

A few years later I started hunting a large patch of woods near Meridian, MS. One evening while hiking back to the truck flashlight in hand (pitch black dark), I heard a stick break behind me. The hairs on the back of my neck stood up as I grabbed my handgun, shouldered my rifle, and proceeded to shine the light to my rear (expecting to see the eyes of something hunting me). I saw nothing and proceeded on my way just a little more wary and careful. Jut then I heard the loudest wooshing and comotion in my life. I instantly flopped to the ground prone with my light and .357 shining around...

A few months later, I set up a ground blind and shot that damn turkey that nearly gave me a heart attack as he roosted less than 20 feet from me that night.

roy reali
February 21, 2009, 05:52 PM
200 pound chimps!:eek:

Creature
February 21, 2009, 06:04 PM
I dont dig snakes much...

http://www.larry-adams.com/snake-check.jpg

Socrates
February 23, 2009, 11:14 AM
Centipedes. Living in Hawaii, just moved, living on the beach, at Sunset Beach, in the front room, right on the ocean. My bed is pretty much solid wood, built from the slab up. Bathroom is also on a cement slab. I go to the bathroom late one night, lights out. Step and feel this really sharp, painful bite on the inside of my foot. See at least a 6" centipede crawling off. Guess I scared her.

Not a fun night at the hospital, and, it of course required tons of antibiotics. Foot injuries are real bad, since blood flow isn't great, and, big old girls carry lots of germs.

Couple weeks later, wake up with some minor bites on my legs. Turns out the 'bed' was a huge breeding ground for centipedes. It was REALLY creepy when they tore the front of the house up to improve it, to see hundreds of centipedes running around.

I guess I got a bit more immune to the venom after the first, really bad bite. The minor bites were about 1" long, babies, I rolled over on.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/452655/are_centipedes_poisonous_in_hawaii.html

10" centipedes??? Great.
Sharks:
http://www.ratemyeverything.net/image/8853/0/Guy_petting_a_great_white_shark.ashx

Try surfing a 50 minute paddle out into the ocean, with one friend, in 20 foot waves, at a place named Great Whites... When you see a swirl, or unexplained action in the water, or fish jumping. Not to mention having something brush against your leg....

Chased out of the water at Point Sur by a Great White, with 3 of my friends. Found out later they have a bunch of
Great Whites that hunt that reef, and, none of the Carmel guys even think about it, as a surf spot. It's a deep trench, that comes out of very deep water, onto a shallow, healthy reef, with
seals and sea lions in the area. Perfect place for a low to high 30 mile an hour charge/breach. Also about the only place on the cost with perfect, offshore winds, during storms...

Skunks?
MY SO was drunk one night and petted one. He nipped at her a bit, and went on his way.

Worst for me is an unexplained noise at night, even now, in different places I've lived. Never been victim of a robbery, or home invaision, but, it does bother me.

James R. Burke
February 23, 2009, 12:00 PM
Wolfs howling or whatever you call it right at dusk when your walking back from deer hunting unloaded.

rantingredneck
February 23, 2009, 12:39 PM
The thing that gets my heart beating fast on a regular basis is jumping turkeys off the roost while walking to my deer stand before sunrise. Happens a lot, I know almost immediately what it is, but having 3 or 4 birds at once take off right above your head can be a bit overwhelming in the dark.

Not a big fan of snakes or spiders, but not overly creeped out about them either. That big ol spider hogdogs posted a picture of would seriously creep me out of I walked nose first into his web. As it is around here I do that a good bit with smaller spiders (around an inch or two across). I brush them off and keep going.

While eerie, I do appreciate the sound of a bobcat cry at dawn/dusk. Owls too.

The four times I've been most creeped out:

1) About 5 or 6 years ago I was doing some pre-season scouting and heard a rustle in the underbrush. Where I was walking there were knee high oak and gum trees and other brush that was moving as something was coming toward me. I had a 9mm on my hip and put my hand on it. About 20 feet away a possum appears (that's what was rustling). I kinda laughed until it started coming toward me. I backed out of it's path and it kept coming. We did a little dancing zigzag tango for about 50 yds. until I got fed up with it and punted him back the way he came. He went flying through the air squealing and headed the other way once he landed. In retrospect I should have probably shot him as he wasn't acting quite right.

2) About 8 or 9 years ago my brother in law was doing a deer drive through a thicket. I was set up on the edge of that thicket at the intersection of thicket, big woods, and open field with my .30-06. I see something break the thicket about 50 yds up from me and start to raise my rifle until I realize it's a black bear cub. Where cub is so is mama...... I radioed my brother in law and told him to get his tail out of that thicket.

3) About 3 years ago I was walking out from one of my treestands at dusk. I get to the edge of the woods/field and see a coyote standing in the middle of the field just watching me. Never had one not bolt when it saw me. This one just stood there looking at me like it was thinking, "Yeah he's a little big but I think I can take him". I recapped my muzzleloader and shot him. Big sucker too.

4) About 20 years ago (I was around 15-16 IIRC). My grandfather, uncle and I were heading from one dove field to another. We were on foot on a trail through a patch of woods that connected the two fields. I was the last one in line. They were 20 or so yds in front of me because I was carrying all the gear (young pack mule :D). I started hearing this angry buzzing/rattling sound. I look down to my left about 5 feet in front of me and just off the trail and see a fat coiled up timber rattler. I eased down the buckets and shells and other crap I was carrying in my left hand and unslung my shotgun. I chewed him up with birdshot. I think my grandfather and uncle were more creeped out than me because they had walked right by it. That being said I don't see too many snakes while hunting, of course it's the ones you don't see.......

And of course aside from the creepy crawly and carnivorous creatures that are out there, there are the other dangers. Heights anyone? (http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263730) Yeah I'm still a little height shy and am a treestand safety fanatic now.

Capt Charlie
February 23, 2009, 12:55 PM
That big ol spider hogdogs posted a picture of would seriously creep me out of I walked nose first into his web. As it is around here I do that a good bit with smaller spiders (around an inch or two across). I brush them off and keep going.

There must be some unwritten law that says a spider will build his web at the same height as a mounted horseman's face.

That's why I let my buddy ride point :D.

rantingredneck
February 23, 2009, 12:57 PM
That's why I let my buddy ride point .

See now I have nephews who are of the age where they are hunting with me a good bit. I let them go first so that "If we jump a deer you'll have a clear shot" :D.

Socrates
February 23, 2009, 03:32 PM
I should add lions, and the big cats. Even in cages, at paws length, they are both terrifying and incredibly powerful and beautiful.
The S.F. zoo has feeding cages, and, you can get about 5 feet from the cats. Well fed, yet they let you know they want to go back out, when done eating. A 600 pound male lion let go with a full roar, telling his keeper it was time for him to go back outside. Scared everybody to death. Children started crying, and, one young boy peed his pants right next to us.

I can't imagine meeting a big boy like that in the jungle, even with a high powered rifle, because chances would be real good he wasn't alone.

Also watched a female lion crouch, leap-pounce and pick a seagull out of the air. It happened so fast I literally never moved, even though I was trying to get my camera from my side, up into position, since I knew she was going to move. I can't imagine what it would feel like to turn a corner, or realize the cat was 20 feet away, and, not being able to even move before they had you...

Playboypenguin
February 23, 2009, 03:37 PM
SHUT UP SOCRATES!!! That centipede story is giving me a serious case of the willies. I was bitten by one as a kid and I am still afraid of them to this day. In fact I though a scorpion was one once in Arizona and freaked out in front of my men.

Socrates
February 23, 2009, 03:53 PM
PBP:

Yes, it was REALLY creepy. I didn't realize the darn Hawaiian ones got up around a foot long. Sleeping on a nest, or feeding area didn't work real well, either.

Good news is once biten, the subsequent bites aren't all that bad. Course I never got bit by another one, in 10 years over there, or for that matter, even saw one the size of the one that bit my foot. It was HUGE.

Tiger Sharks are fun. Sitting out at Diamond Head, had one swim under my surfboard. Think watching a small, silent submarine, small being about 25 feet long, with 25% water increase in size, swim slowly by underneath you. Seems they come out of a trench, by Diamond Head, and commute through the islands.

Inspector3711
February 23, 2009, 10:20 PM
What creeps me out in the woods.... Not startles me like a pheasant or snake, but actually creeps me out. There have been a few times. I was hiking with the wife last spring on Tiger Mountain (east of Seattle). We were alone when I heard a snap in the brush behind us. A young man stepped onto the trail from the woods. He had a very creepy air about him and wasn't dressed right for hiking. His eyes weren't right. I just had a sense that he wasn't there to do good. I'm glad he was a apparently city boy and didn't know how to walk quietly.

I remember feeling glad that I went with the wife that day. Eventually we came to a Y and he veered off of our backtrail.

Other than that there have been times when I've felt like I was being watched. I always figured it was a cougar or bigfoot. I saw tracks when I was in high school once. We were deer hunting around Rainier Oregon and it was probably 1980. I wear size 11 shoes and these tracks made my hunting shoes look like baby booties. There was no reason for anyone to put tracks there and I stood next to them and barely left a boot print. Something heavy with big human style feet.... Anyway, it was reported and made the newspaper.

Snakes don't bother me much nor do spiders, it's the feeling that something is out there. It knows I'm there and what I am but I can't figure out what it is. Either that or a nutcase when I'm not armed. It does happen around here. People are killed hiking by other humans. I figure I've got a chance against that threat if I'm armed, other threats may happen so fast I can't react.

Cougars are the thing that worries me most here in the woods. The old books around here indicate that the old timers were scared of them more than anything else. The woods can be dense and they can get real close before you know they're around. Try defending yourself with a concealed pistol when you just noticed a cougar in the air on his way to you.

Playboypenguin
February 23, 2009, 10:25 PM
Good news is once biten, the subsequent bites aren't all that bad.
Must be similar to copperhead bites. The first time I was bitten I thought I was going to die. The two subsequent times were less and less intense.

Yes, I know...a person has to be pretty careless to be bitten by copperheads more than once in their life...but my grandmother loved to make blackberry cobblers and copperheads love blackberry bushes. :D

AJD21
February 24, 2009, 12:07 AM
I'm not ashamed to admit!

Spiders: Doesn't matter how large or small. Seeing that Banana Spider in person would cause me to never go outside at night again without a large flashlight and even then I would hesitate. Big centipides would have the same effect.

Sharks: I've been in the ocean but won't go out past waist deep. Just something about when my feet leave the sand of the ocean. I'm terrified of them.

Just one of those things. I have no problem petting a 10 foot Python and seeing one hang just 1 foot above my head didn't bother me but running into a spider web will send me into a full blown panic attack.

butta9999
February 24, 2009, 12:21 AM
My fear factor is realising i left my bolts and magazines at home for my rifles after driving 16 hours to the middle of Australia.

Have nightmares all the time:eek:

Sharks, spiders, snakes and all the other creepy crawlies dont bother me the slightest.

Held and caught snakes.
Been swimming with sharks.
See spiders inside my home i pick them up and put them outside. (except for the white tails kill those buggers) have been bitten by white tail, took 2 months to heal an still have a little scar.

KC9LDB
February 24, 2009, 01:27 AM
when i chipped my tooth today on a damn chicken bone. I hate the dentist, not the work he does, just the $$$$ it costs. So i lived out a fear for the day, just gotta see how much it will cost.

Outside fears are also feeling of being watched, my old security job was weird cause i would have to lock up next to a family's graveyard. ooo no good especially on those foggy nights at 1200 am on a full moon, this is in a Forest too.

Socrates
February 24, 2009, 08:24 AM
There are a couple animals, insects I REALLY never want to meet. That stupid little fish in the amazon that swims into your private parts.

Black Mamba's.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmre5kI49rI
14 feet, and 12 miles an hour...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYAE1JCwebs&feature=PlayList&p=0A432CCE94E76A64&playnext=1&index=4
Spiders that bite, and lay eggs in your head.

Funny, but the really nasty stuff all seems to be in Africa or Australia...

hogdogs
February 24, 2009, 10:08 AM
Socrates, My buddy in NZ don't mention those OZ or Africa critters when we speak... Just gators, cougars, wolves and bears along with venomous snakes.
Seems those new zealanders have no predators except tax collectors.
Brent

Inspector3711
February 24, 2009, 09:10 PM
The dentist.. I used to share that fear... Then I aquired a horrible intestinal disease last year. I have occasional flare ups that remind me of just how bad it can be, so far I've been hospitalized twice. Anyway, just go through that and the dentist will be a piece of cake:D.

I actually went in for a root canal in December. It was a molar and I was in the chair for four hours as there were 4 mishapen root tips. The assistant couldn't believe I wasn't complaining. It was nothing... Really.

jamiejaf
February 24, 2009, 09:19 PM
Sleeping under the stars, waking up to see a giant bull moose standing over top of me. He stepped over me like i was a log and kept going.

silvrjeepr
February 25, 2009, 06:25 PM
I should add lions, and the big cats. Even in cages, at paws length, they are both terrifying and incredibly powerful and beautiful.
The S.F. zoo has feeding cages, and, you can get about 5 feet from the cats. Well fed, yet they let you know they want to go back out, when done eating. A 600 pound male lion let go with a full roar, telling his keeper it was time for him to go back outside. Scared everybody to death. Children started crying, and, one young boy peed his pants right next to us.

Hehe A good friend's aunt used to work the the Jackson zoo and our crew would get special behind the scenes visits. She played a joke on us once when a new tiger (from the wild) came in. We all went into this little hallway and right as my friend (in front of me) turned the corner, the cat lurched at him and SLAMMED into the window just a few feet away. I've never seen another human turn that shade of white. We had to carry him out. She said it takes them a few weeks to get aquainted with things in the zoo... I saw his face and heard the noise... but never made it around that corner.

Socrates
February 25, 2009, 07:30 PM
At Marineworld, San Mateo, we went to the show. It started with sitting 1 foot away from the 'fence' 10 feet high, and, as we sat there, 5 huge tigers, and two AFrican Lions ran at us, and peeled off. After that, we learned from the trainers that the tigers would kick the stuffings out of the 600 pound lions, on a regular basis, after the lions started it. I really can't put in words the effect on your system when 7 600-700 pound killers, tigers and lions, look at you at one foot like dinner...

Only thing worse was the following act. 10 elephants, HUGE, running at you, and, peeling off, in near total silence, at a foot, running at you about 20 miles an hour, then they peel off. Keep in mind, any and all of those animals could either jump out, or, go through the fence, and wall like it was paper mache...

FrontSight
February 25, 2009, 07:56 PM
Wolfs howling or whatever you call it right at dusk when your walking back from deer hunting unloaded.

3rd day hunting in Wisconsin, finally bagged my "earn a buck" doe with a bow, darkness descended and I'm crawling out of the woods, and I mean literally crawling because the hill is on about a 50 degree incline and snow covered as well, and I hear the howling start.

Lonnnnnnnng, multiple howls, from every single direction around me.

So I howled right along with them. :D

srt 10 jimbo
March 6, 2009, 11:45 PM
I heard a story bout a Park Ranger who shot a Large Male Grizzly Bear. After getting a ration for killing an endangered species he said. "When I saw the Bear charging me like a freight train, There was no doubt in my mind whom was the endangered species".:)

mtnm
March 17, 2009, 06:32 PM
My fear factor- domestic sheep.

You should hear them things in the dark of night in the middle of the San Juan wilderness in Colorado; riding trails alone where only your horse can see where to go.

Sheep sound wierd at night, and the sound carries for miles.

My biggest fear factor is Little Red Ridin Hood- er no I mean the bigbad wolf.

Gene was run off a mountain by black hornets once. There he was with his foot caught, hanging upside down off a cliff. I let him rescue himself. :D

I had to hold the horses, yah know. :D

mtnm
March 17, 2009, 07:02 PM
I woke up one night alone in the Colorado Rockies with 400 demons surrounding me. :eek: Dog was snoring so I went back to sleep.

* They were coyotes- I learned later.*

"The Feeling" freaks me out more than anything. You guys know what I mean. You are alone in the woods, it is dark and nice and quiet. Then you get "The Feeling". ..., Bigfoot, .......Ever been there?

Only when being around bigfoot. :D

...or in Washington D.C. on the wrong street- the one with all the murders.

Last summer I camped with the Nez Perce and bigfoot was in 2- 3 of our camps. He must be a friend of the Nez Perce? He protected us from the wolves. :D

BIGR
March 17, 2009, 07:03 PM
Thinking that Bigfoot is watching me....:D
Just kidding on that one, but I do not care about stepping close to snakes in the woods, especially if they are poisonous and I am miles and miles from medical help.

Guess the most fearful thing is rifle bullets hitting in the close area around thy body and having to dive for cover. Or a 12 GA. shotgun blast at close range just inches above the head. Those things right there will instill fear immediately. Disclaimer: Don't try it at home though.

sc928porsche
March 23, 2009, 12:14 AM
A charging bear allways scares me. Try it once....you'll hate it.

Swampghost
March 23, 2009, 12:21 AM
Bears usually make false charges. Sows with cubs can be an exception. That being said, just stand your ground. They usually stop within 15-20 feet of you and then run off after their display.

Mainah
April 1, 2009, 06:05 PM
Okay, I'll admit it, last week I got scared by a coyote. And I'm a guy who snickers when he reads scary coyote stories on forums like this.

But I was on vacation in Arizona, and they've got a rabies problem. I was driving back from town when I saw the coyote on the side of the road, he was only four or five feet away from my car and he didn't run when I stopped. That was a big red flag.

He ended up crossing the road and approaching me after I parked. Like I said, I was on vacation, and without the options I'd of had at home. I yelled, he tried to flank me, but I got inside.

He was good-sized, and I'll admit that he got my blood pumping.

FrontSight
April 1, 2009, 07:23 PM
Mainah, rabies is no joke, and I can understand that one!

hardluk1
April 4, 2009, 05:39 PM
Bannana spiders in the early morning fog on an airboat with it in the middle of the web right in front of you at 20 mph. Walking 100 yards off a tram and looking down in 2 feet of water in the facahacthe strand and seeing around 20 moccasins around where you are standing and the light is not yet up enought to see well. That will kill a morning hunt.

12GaugeShuggoth
April 4, 2009, 08:24 PM
That will kill a morning hunt.

No joke. I was TRYING to be stealthy and sneak in to a swamp where I had seen a nice buck earlier in the season. Got my bow in one hand, and a little light in my other hand, looking down at the ground to try and avoid breaking any branches in the dark.....and that's when I walked through the worlds biggest spider web.....well at least it seemed like it at the time. ;) Don't know what kind of spider it was, but when I felt legs moving across my cheek I dang near had a stroke and died right where I stood.

Being sneaky and stealthy went straight out the window at that point. I dropped the light when I smacked myself in the face with it :rolleyes:, dropped my bow, and tripped backwards over a log that I had just stepped over 2 seconds earlier. Didn't fall, mind you, but made enough noise to wake up every deer in ........oh I don't know, the whole state of Virginia. I wore the gold crown of killing a morning hunt that day.

Hunter Dan
April 4, 2009, 09:34 PM
This scared the heck out of my, siting in a climbing deer stand at least 20 foot up a tree and moving my feet and the bottom part goes down the tree:p sat there a wile thinking what the heck am i going to do:confused: note to the young folks no cell phones:o well need less to say i got down that tree like a bear :D the other thing that gets me are quail the danm things will get up rite under you feet :eek: