PDA

View Full Version : How to fix 870 7-shot barrel wobble

ksmash01
December 11, 2008, 03:53 AM
I just notice an 870 that I'm about to purchase through my job has a little wobble in the barrel. I didn't have much time to mess with it but, I compared it to the mossberg I already purchased, and it's fit is way better out of the box.

I know that if I play with it, it may tighten up to what it's supposed to feel like.

What should I do? I really want the 870 more, but security shotguns in my area are scarce. I may be passing up an opportunity to get what I want and make it work, and settling for the Mossberg 8-shot(for now). I felt the need to ask for some sage advice. Any would be appreciated.

I have until Friday, my birthday to decide.

hogdogs
December 11, 2008, 04:13 AM
But I am a fan of American Products made by a family run company...:D
Brent

emtgunnut23
December 11, 2008, 07:50 AM
I voted for the 870. First thing to do is check to see that the magazine cap is tightly screwed down. I have an 870 and if you don't tighten the little cap down the barrel can get a little loose. If it something more complicated I wouldn't bother with it.

Al Thompson
December 11, 2008, 09:57 AM
If it's just a little wiggling, no big deal. I noticied the same thing on a couple of mine a while back.. They work fine! ;)

Cerick
December 11, 2008, 10:50 AM
my 870 barrel wiggles just a little bit. Has since the day I got it. Never caused any problems though.

rem870hunter
December 11, 2008, 11:00 AM
the barrel should have a ball detent to help keep the mag cap/extension tight. you could try a strap wrench to tighten the mag extension/cap. only 1 of my 3 barrels has the ball detent (new in box 20" rifle sighted) . if i tighten it up enough it does'nt have any barrel wobble. but sometimes its a pita to loosen. if you can't get it tight enough, and you don't trust it. then don't buy it.