PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 590A1 Compact Cruiser

Firepower!
December 10, 2008, 08:25 AM
How many of you had experience with 590A1 compact cruiser?

I think its he best pump action for compact size. Very handy and can be used a third weapon after main rifle and side arms in a hostile situation.

I got one and find it usefull.

What do you say: Thumbs up or Thumbs down?

USMCGrunt
December 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Mossberg...good choice
590A1...great gun
Cruiser pistol grip...uh yeah, I'm going to have to pass on that one. Tried shooting my folding stock 870 with the stock folded and the control was so poor that hitting anything other than the dirt or the sky was a chore. IMHO, stick with a full stock.

IZinterrogator
December 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
I'll stick with my full-stocked 9-shot M590A1, thanks.

TxGun
December 10, 2008, 12:49 PM
My brother has a 12 ga. Mossy 500 cruiser. Last time I was down at his place in the country we took a 1/2 dozen empty milk jugs out back of his house and made them dance. Neither he nor I had any problem hitting gallon milk jugs out to 30 - 40 yards with virtually every shot. Don't let the Cruiser grip scare you. Despite the wives' tales you might read, recoil is not an issue. Heck, I can shoot the dang thing with one hand (OK... you might not care to make a practice of that ;) ). But work with one a little, and you can be more than accurate enough with it for HD/SD. I prefer full-stocked guns, but if I needed something compact, I wouldn't hesitate. Personally, I shoot them well.

Slopemeno
December 10, 2008, 05:51 PM
Take that pistol gripped shotgun to a bowling pin match and let us know how you do. You'll be changing that pistol grip out. Only hits count.

hoytinak
December 10, 2008, 06:06 PM
I tried the pistol grip on my 500 and couldn't get used to it. I even put a front pistol grip on it thinking that might help but it didn't. Finally put a M4 style buttstock w/pistol grip and really like it. I think it's the best compromise between being compact and actually being able to shoot it. :)

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6361/dsc00515dw2.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

scorpion_tyr
December 10, 2008, 06:31 PM
I don't like pistol grips on anything other than my pistols.

Firepower!
January 10, 2009, 03:34 AM
Thumbs up for this for sure.... why reservations? It fits its role. How many other pump actions are this compact?
http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo128/Firepower1/Moss590A1CompactCuriser.jpg

Its being discussed somewhere else as well: http://forums.clubsi.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3096241

Chuckusaret
January 10, 2009, 08:20 AM
I have a Mossy 500 Cruiser 12 gauge 20" and I will take on anyone in a shootout of the type the guns were designed for, close range, or a match of 25 yards or less. How about the shotgun/pistol combat closed course. The name of the game is practice, not talk, practice and more practice.

nemoaz
January 10, 2009, 09:13 AM
Pistol grip= mall ninja... (unless you happen to be a breacher on a tactical team)

Get a stock, shoot some targets for time, and never go back.

I have a Mossy 500 Cruiser 12 gauge 20" and I will take on anyone in a shootout of the type the guns were designed for, close range, or a match of 25 yards or less. How about the shotgun/pistol combat closed course. The name of the game is practice, not talk, practice and more practice.

No, it isn't about practice. I am NOT retired. I still shoot often, as a profession. We don't have pistol grip only shotguns except for our breachers. Practice may make you be able to hip shoot more accurately, but it doesn't change the fact that any longarm should be fired from the shoulder.

Do you hack the stocks off your rifles?

Dave McC
January 10, 2009, 10:27 AM
Sorry, compact is nice, being able to hit with it is crucial.

PG only shotguns are not good choices for almost all missions.

Scattergun Bob
January 10, 2009, 02:03 PM
Breaching gun = YES

Fighting gun = NO

How many times will we fight this battle, The horse is already dead gentle people.