PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 500-a forend question....

1S1KWTD?
December 8, 2008, 03:48 PM
Hi, I have purchased an Advanced Technology forend pistol grip for my Mossberg 500-A "Rolling Thunder." I have tried everything but the stock forend won't come off the action slide tube. I have taken out every screw and it still wont pull off. HELP PLEASE!! Lol. I would like to avoid spending $40 on a new action slide tube. Thanks in advance for any advice.

alloy
December 8, 2008, 04:26 PM
i guess you have the action out of the receiver and off the magazine tube?

thread the big spanner type nut back on the end of the slide action tube about 1/2 way and smack the nut with a rubber mallet while holding the forearm. its tight, but it isnt glued and once it starts moving you should be able to pull it out.

hogdogs
December 8, 2008, 04:33 PM
Call mossberg with serial number ready... It is possibly one of the few that had an integral forearm. I don't know that any 500's had this but some mavericks did. It will not be a wooden one. Did you measure to make sure you have the right AT foregrip? There are 2 lengths of metal action tube. Also the only thing that holds on the frestock is the spanner nut on the end.... no screws I ever seen...
Brent

1S1KWTD?
December 9, 2008, 12:21 PM
Yes, alloy i had the whole gun apart, I looked on You Tube for a video on how to take it apart, but I am going to try that mallet technique. hogdogs, the screws I was talking about was the 4 in the Mossberg strap that's currently on the foregrip. I even called the dealer I purchased it from and he was stumped. I will call Mossberg though, to make sure it's not intergral. Thanks again for the help guys, happy hunting.

Smitty in CT
December 9, 2008, 08:06 PM
take the barrel off, look down into the forearm...

Does it have a "U-Shaped" spring?? If it does, then you have one of the new "No-Rattle forearms....

Like this one....
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=4667829&postcount=4

You can probably sell or trade the forearm, slide tube, and action bars to somebody on here that has the old style and wants to get rid of the "rattle"....

Desert01
December 9, 2008, 11:15 PM
Look at the front of the forearm ie the barrel end. You should see a metal piece with to grooves in it. This retains the forend. You can get a tool from brownells to take it off our just work with it.

1S1KWTD?
December 11, 2008, 01:13 PM
I actually got it to work! I used Alloys method with the rubber mallet. Took a little man-handling lol but it got the job done. Thanks a lot for all of your responses. One of the few sites that actually try to help people when they have questions. Will post a pic ASAP, it looks pretty bad ass now, not that it didn't before ;). Thanks!

1S1KWTD?
December 11, 2008, 02:29 PM
Me likey :)