PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 512 goldwing advice.

redseal
December 5, 2008, 07:26 PM
I am thinking about purchasing this shotgun in 28 gauge for pheasant hunting. It will primarily be used for bad weather hunting ( I have a older browning superposed as my main gun) most shots will be 30 yards or less as my dogs work closely. If anyone is familiar with this gun please let me know the pro's/cons of it. Thanks in advance to those of you who respond.

roho1953
December 6, 2008, 09:29 PM
I brought one yesterday the first three times I loaded it it misfired once on the second shot I put 2 more shells in but it would only fire the bottom barrel I put two more shells in it and it still would only fire the bottom barrel I paid 499.00 plus tax my advice to you don't buy it mine is going back to the store monday when they are open I brought it dick's sporting goods in birmingham

Death from Afar
December 7, 2008, 03:19 PM
Mate i have one in .410. I only use .410 3 or 4 times a year.

I thnk dollar for dollar they are pretty hard to beat. Mine fits well, the wood is good, and although there are some machining marks inside the gun, they are pretty well finished. Both barrel point true, and the patterns are consistant.

I dont know how durable they are, but unlike the other gentleman, i have had no failures to fire in 200 rds or so.

HIghly recommended, for the price ( and lets face facts- there are not many reasonably priced sub gauges around)

redseal
December 8, 2008, 03:34 PM
I went ahead and purchased the 28 gauge Model. I put 200 rounds through it on clay birds and everything operated as expected. I took it out yesterday and got 2 pheasants (the limit) with 2 shots. I will upgrade the choke tubes as they pattern extemely tight! Like I said in my previos post, most shots are well under 30 yards. Once again thanks for your input. Happy Holidays to both of you.