PDA

View Full Version : Deer Shotguns

johnwilliamson062
December 5, 2008, 03:13 AM
Have an 11-87 I shoot trap/sporting clays with. Bought a 21" rifled choke barrel for it so I could use it for deer. Tried winchester XP3(Sabotted spire tip) and Rem sluggers(rifled) in it. Got about equivalent results from both slugs. 75 yards is all the farther this set up is really good for before Just pumping rounds down range.

My question is if I buy the fully rifled Cantilevered barrel what range will it shoot 6" groups from using a sabotted spire tip round like the Win XP3?
The barrel is about $410.

cptmclark
December 5, 2008, 01:31 PM
I've had more experience than I ever intended load testing with shotgun slugs. First answer is easy. Yes, you can expect much better than 6 inch groups at 100 yards with a rifled barrel. I'm not convinced that the cantilever arangement is better, and I have both. My experience with three rifled slug barreled guns has been that three inch groups are reasonable to expect (WITH AMMO IT LIKES). That's the prblem for me. There are some that have been consistently more accurate with most guns I've set up. A first choice when starting would be the Federal 2 3/4 inch with the Barnes one ounce all copper Expander slug. Has been most accurate in all but one. My current 870 with cantilever barrel likes the 3 inch Lightfield Hybred Elite best. It's way more oomph than you need for whitetail, but is more accurate in this gun so I use it. Some 550 grains at 1730 fps takes some getting used to for most. Many report best results with the 2 3/4 Lightfield Elites, but they were second best (still consistent) in my gun. If your 11-87 has the same barrel as my 870 except for the gas port it likely won't like the faster pointy ones at long range. I was very happy to see Federals tipped expander group well at 50 yards. Moving to 100, it was all over the place. Back to what has always worked.
(Scopes with 5 inch eye relief are out there (Nikon Omega is one such shotgun unit) and not so likely to bump your eyebrow. I recommend that if you can't spend time practicing with it you don't use it. Both cost of ammo and recoil keep most from practicing at all. Bad idea. Consider the cost of your season and bucks spend on practicing with your hunting ammo is well worth it. Also remember that shooting off the bag for sighting in will likely send your bullet to a different place (usualy much higher) than shooting from your hands. Regardless of what some manufactures rep may say, do check your group at 100 yards if you may shoot that far. Some will group close but not far. At least do your final zero check holding it in your hand with your hand on the bag. In reality, you should do most of your shooting without any benchrest, which I see most do not do. Sitting is a fairly stable way to shoot, and you should see where your gun groups like that.
These are my experiences. Others have different ones of course. Good luck.

Rmart30
December 5, 2008, 10:38 PM
Way better than 6" is very likely out of most rifled barrels......

Do some searching, the $410 price you listed for the barrel is high.
bass pro has them on sale for $319 and the link below has them for $309.
There also was a old listing for one on the sale boards here NIB for $180, it was a old post but had no responses.. Never know he might still have it. I linked it below also.

http://www.midwestgunworks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=29615&Category_Code=remington-1187-barrels&Store_Code=mgwi

https://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=259959

T.A.Sharps
December 5, 2008, 10:50 PM
cptmclark is right about the rifled barrels.

In a shotgun state its nice to have something with the extended performance it gives you.

The worst thing about them though is they all seem to like different ammo, and it gets really expensive trying to test all the brands to see which is best for you.

$12-$20 for a box of 5 shells stings a little when you go to buy some ammo to test or practice with.

I sight in on the bench, most other shooting I do from standing, though the last deer I took I was supported on a downed tree for a steady shot.

johnwilliamson062
December 5, 2008, 10:55 PM
good info guys. Thanks for links Rmart. Contacted the poster in the WTS.

Logs
December 8, 2008, 06:46 PM
My deer slug gun would pattern best with the Remington slugs you use to get for $1.99 a box. Go figure.

JonnyReb
December 9, 2008, 09:46 PM
For your $400.00 dollars, you can buy yourself a sweet shooting and handling mossburg 695 bolt gun. Has a parkerized type finish and a synthetic stock. Recoil pad. 22 in. rifled barrel with sights but i scoped mine. 7 1/2lbs without the scope. Nice gun.

I bought mine way back in the 90's and it is my ultimate deer gun(in shotgun only states i hunt) If there were something out there that could serve me better i'd have it. The inexpensive mossburg just can't be beat in my mind. no matter how much money you throw at it.

I use the remington copper solids, 2 3/4 and to date have never had one, of any number of deer go more than 20 feet after being hit. An awesome round in my gun. 3 inch's moa but i'm sure the gun is capable of better.

If you're into one shot drops and the fast follow up shots of the pump or auto arn't neccesary, check out a bolt. J.R.

johnwilliamson062
December 9, 2008, 11:18 PM
Can't seem to locate a 695. I would really prefer not to get a new gun. They are starting to take up room. I will keep my eyes open for one on gunbroker. I am considering buying a persuader and getting the rifled barrel for it. Moss cantilevered basrrels are only about $200 it seems.