PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Question

keys85
December 4, 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm interested in a remington 870 express in black synthetic. I've compared the standard express model with the supermag. The receiver appears to be the same length (correct me here if I'm wrong), and the length of pull to open the chamber on the pump is the same for both, but the chamber area is 1/2 inch longer on the supermag to eject 3 1/2 shells. Price means nothing to me nor does what barrel/combo they come with as I have a supply of remington 870 barrels. What is the common trend now a days? 3" chamber or should I just get the 3 1/2" chamber incase I should ever want to use this gun for upland bird hunting, or just to say I can shoot magnums if I want to? Since the guns are essentially the same aside from one allowing larger shells, why wouldn't I want the more versatile one?

Also, remington does not sell the 3 shell extension to the public. Where could I go about finding this and I assume I must remove those detents?

Why are aftermarket (new) barrels cost as much as a new shotgun?

hogdogs
December 4, 2008, 05:11 PM
I am guessing the cutout is longer on the super... But I am a mossberg man so I am not positive...
Brent

scorpion_tyr
December 4, 2008, 05:48 PM
I'm looking into getting an 870 as well... if the price is no big deal to you, I would go super mag. I plan on doing that but mine might have a future job as duty weapon, so I want something very very veristal.

zippy13
December 5, 2008, 12:49 AM
What is the common trend now a days? 3" chamber or should I just get the 3 1/2" chamber incase I should ever want to use this gun for upland bird hunting, or just to say I can shoot magnums if I want to?
You'll be fine with a 3-inch chamber, it's the common size for field and tactical guns. For upland birds, you'll probably want 2 3/4-inch loads (which fit in a 3-inch gun). Old school shooters consider the 2 3/4-inch the standard 12-ga, and the 3-inch the magnum. The 3 1/2-inch Super-mag is a serious shooter typically used for turkeys and waterfowl, and it offers you the greatest flexibility with 2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2-inch capability.