PDA

View Full Version : Bayonet on a 500/590?

chickenman
December 3, 2008, 08:06 PM
No laughing alowed :)

So my first post on this forum ( http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304309) was about a bayonet on an 870. I no longer want one the 870 BUT I would on my 500.

Any info you have would be helpful.

- Thank You

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a369/drmjones11/IMG_1595.jpg

gustav129
December 3, 2008, 10:11 PM
I want to put a spike bayonet on my post 1989 AWB Norinco Chinese SKS, which is very illegal.

SPUSCG
December 3, 2008, 10:23 PM
what exactly is the use of something like that? stabbing home invaders?

triggerhappy2006
December 3, 2008, 10:24 PM
So you are saying that bayonets on pump shotguns are illegal gustav?

gustav129
December 3, 2008, 10:35 PM
I was under the impression that bayonets were illegal period, but I found out they were only on imported guns after 1989, thus the edit.

publius
December 4, 2008, 10:54 AM
One on a SKS makes sense, it belongs on there. One on a 500 is ugly, silly, and if you use it on someone the DA is going to have fun w/you.

hogdogs
December 4, 2008, 11:03 AM
I don't much care what big city prosecutors think of me but a blade on the end of a HD shotgun is DANGEROUS! I am prepared to expect a little scuffle if there are 2 or more invaders and for the life of me I can't see where the blade could be used well. If you still have ammo... GUT SHOOT THE BASTID! If you don't, flip that black betty and beat the livin' breath outta his skull! Too much rick of you eating your own blade and the "perry/thrust" thing is tuff with a gun as long as a shotgun. If I run out of ammo... (not likely) I am going for either a .22 pistol in one direction or an ol' hickory carbon steel razor sharp kitchen knife with 7+ inches of boo-boo maker!
Brent

troy_mclure
December 4, 2008, 12:18 PM
we had a couple of 590's with bayonet lugs when i was in the army.
they look badazz with a m9 bayonet mounted!

you can buy lugs online at quite a few places, and an m9 bayonet is only $100ish.

cosmolinelover
December 4, 2008, 12:34 PM
You could try fitting one of Tromix's 'shark breaks' to your shotgun. It acts as a muzzle break as well as a sharp point for the end of your shotgun, basically pulling double duty.
http://www.tromix.com/images/saiga-parts/Shark.jpg
http://www.tromix.com/Welcome.htm
Tony makes them almost exclusively for Saiga shotguns, but that doesn't mean you couldn't figure out a way to thread your mossy and attach it.

seeker_two
December 4, 2008, 04:04 PM
You should research "stand-off" devices for shotgun barrels and mag tubes. I know Remington makes a barrel w/ an integral stand-off device for the 870....so I'm pretty sure that there's one for the 500/590 too....

Here's one....

https://vangcomp.com/Standoff_Device.html

https://vangcomp.com/images/img_0470.jpg

gustav129
December 4, 2008, 06:25 PM
The 509 is listed in the 2007 Mossberg buyers guide as available with bayo lugs.

SPUSCG
December 4, 2008, 06:26 PM
if you cant hit something that close with a shotgun and need a bayo.......ah never mind

alloy
December 4, 2008, 06:31 PM
cole slaw and the 590. guess its good for something

http://www.gunslot.com/videos/mossberg-590-bayonet

Jeff Mulliken
December 4, 2008, 06:38 PM
That may have been the funniest stupid thing I have see this year.

Thanks!

hogdogs
December 4, 2008, 06:40 PM
Alloy, I do not if'n you seen my redneck tree service thread but after that video I am determined I need a bayo for the redneck catering service! I see pulled pork butt bar-b-q on the menu...
Brent

alloy
December 4, 2008, 06:52 PM
i see the need,:rolleyes: the m7 and the m9 both fit. i have a 590 but no bayo.:)

Black_Sheep
December 4, 2008, 06:58 PM
Since my pre-assault weapon ban 590 has a bayonet lug, having the correct bayonet for it only made sense (not that I'd ever try to use it)

http://home.comcast.net/~blackgtx/590.jpg

alloy
December 4, 2008, 07:03 PM
is that a colt bayonet?

Black_Sheep
December 4, 2008, 07:12 PM
is that a colt bayonet?

No markings on the bayonet, AFAIK it's a USGI M-10

gustav129
December 4, 2008, 08:13 PM
is that a colt bayonet?

Mossberg lists the correct one as the bayo for an M-16.

nemoaz
December 4, 2008, 08:34 PM
Nothing screams mall ninja like a bayonet on shotgun.

chickenman
December 5, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm sure you will say that when your holding a shotgun in the trenches wishing you had a few more shots. :cool: Brilliant statement.

Dave McC
December 5, 2008, 12:46 PM
Sigh....

Here we go again.

A bayonet on a shotgun is good for giggles, and not much more.

Try this, those that think otherwise....

Zero your shotgun with the slug of choice. Of course, you should have already have done this, but you may have been too busy taking pictures and posting them on the Net.

Affix bayonet and use it as bayonets are meant to be used. Say, pitchfork a hay bale a couple times while screaming loudly as you can. Few bayonets ever get used as weapons without major adrenaline surge.

Recheck zero. Cuss.

Shotgun barrels, even the 590s', are made from rather thin steel.

Those of us old enough to recall Nam may also recall the flap when GIs used the early M16s with bayonets and found their zeros had gone to Heck. The needle like barrel on the first M16s is much,much stiffer than all shotgun barrels.

Slomo pics of shotguns being fired reveal the barrels waving like wheat in a windy field when fired.

Bayonets on shotguns are cosmetic only.

johnwilliamson062
December 5, 2008, 07:01 PM
You can get an 8+1 590. I have considered the purchase. If those 9 rounds of 32 pellet 00buch don't do the job they can have me. If someone closes unexpectedly they will probably be at my rear or side. In that case a bayonet seems unlikely to be much use and slapping them sill w/ the but stock seems like a better plan. You can get prety good leverage if you are holding the gun to fire and snap the butt stock into someones face correctly.

Last time I was in Spencers at the mall I saw all the items necessary for your conversion:) I couldn't resist.

Ruger4570
December 5, 2008, 09:35 PM
Bayonet on a Mossberg??.... It says NO LAUGHING ALLOWED... OK..ummm I am trying...SNORK!
Sorry, I couldn't help that

T. O'Heir
December 5, 2008, 10:40 PM
Mossberg made an 8 shot, 20", parkerized and oiled stocked M500 that took a regular M-16 bayonet. Late 70's/early 80's. We sold lots of 'em in the shop I worked in then.
"...impression that bayonets were illegal period..." Nope. Having a bayonet lug on a rifle is one of the evil "assualt rifle" thingy's in some places though.

USMCGrunt
December 5, 2008, 10:42 PM
One use I found for a bayonet was back during the first gulf war when we had EPWs around. You are dealing with people (I use the term "people" here rather loosely...freakin' savages!:barf:) that are used to having guns shoved in their faces. However, when you fix a bayonet, they become very compliant very quickly. They have no idea how to react to it. Never had to actually use it but the psycological impact was huge.

jager
December 8, 2008, 10:41 AM
I saw 2 new Rem. 870's, short and black of course , one 20 ga. one 12 ga. . this weekend at a gunshop here in New England . A device like the photo on a previous post , screwed into threads were choke tubes would normally go. The dealer stated , it was the newest concept in home defense shot guns. It appeared to be very robust, my comment was , "if I was defending , why would I want to break out ? " The answer was a shrug and statement , " the salesman said it was the latest SWAT thing." I droped the conversation right there..... Any one have any comments??? :confused:

publius
December 8, 2008, 10:38 PM
I am reminded of a quote I once heard. "If someone ever gives you the order to affix bayonets, shoot the SOB because he has gotten you in deep stuff."

Webleymkv
December 8, 2008, 10:54 PM
Oh I don't know, I don't see that having a combination shotgun/pike is necessarily a bad thing.

10-96
December 9, 2008, 05:03 AM
HD- as in HOME Defense... (?)
A feller buys a HD shotgun for his own home. More often than not, I'd say that's a fair and common occurance.
A breeching device gizmo... OK.
Wait a minute...
Guy wants or figgers he'll have the need to breech his own home with a shotgun at some point?

My coffee is cold and I'm almost out of snuff- I gotta go think on these things a while.

seeker_two
December 9, 2008, 06:08 AM
My coffee is cold and I'm almost out of snuff- I gotta go think on these things a while.

Think about all the uses one could find for a sharp steel thing to poke stuff with...

10-96
December 9, 2008, 06:57 AM
Seeker,
Great thought process! I...um... How would one go about poking telemarketers?:D

jfruser
December 10, 2008, 02:58 PM
Bayonets were used on military shotguns in WWI & WWII. They looked mighty fierce, with that L O N G bayonet & 20" bbl. Probably not the most practical for HD if you have narrow corridors.

OTOH, I really enjoyed bayonet drills while in the service. Stab, slash, butt stroke...it's all good. Beats the heck out of harsh language if you are out of ammo or the goblin gets up close & personal.

The Mossberg 590 with bayonet still seems a bit long for HD. Ideally, I think a 14" bbl and the M7 bayonet would be the way to go. Of course, you get to pay $200 for the privilege of owning a SBS, not something I am willing to do.

I have no doubt the bayonet would play havoc with a slug's zero, as does the bbl/mag extension clamp. I wonder if the effect is even noticeable at HD ranges? Another question is the effect of the shot pattern at HD ranges.

So, I won't laugh at the notion. Wiser men than I have thought it perfectly reasonable for their application.

Gunfighter123
December 10, 2008, 03:59 PM
It's your shotgun and your money ----- If that is what "trips your trigger" , by God, go for it !!!!!!!

onthejon55
December 11, 2008, 01:33 AM
well im sure the zombies are going to be cowering in fear if u ever pull that out during the apocalypse because thats the only time it will ever become useful

alloy
December 11, 2008, 06:36 AM
dont have one, will probobly end up getting one, cant foresee needing a bayonet, but on the other hand its just another sheath knife.

New_Pollution1086
December 11, 2008, 03:41 PM
I still dont see the point.

unless we were in trench warfare.

T

alloy
December 11, 2008, 03:54 PM
dont feel bad, i dont see the point of assault rifles or high cap pistol magazines, but i just let it all flow over me like water in a quiet mountian brook. serenity now.

johnwilliamson062
December 11, 2008, 04:56 PM
If you have a PG it makes sense to me, but on a regular stock? Everyone at the MNoA convention will think you are an usher if you have a bayo on a full stock.

perpster
December 20, 2008, 12:32 AM
Shotgun barrels, even the 590s', are made from rather thin steel.
Dave McC, are you including or taking into account the heavy barreled 590A1? (Honest question; no sarcasm intended).

roklok
December 20, 2008, 12:42 AM
The bayonet does not even mount to the barrel on a Mossberg.

perpster
December 20, 2008, 12:59 AM
The bayonet does not even mount to the barrel on a Mossberg.
It does on the 590A1.

roklok
December 20, 2008, 01:48 AM
It mounts on the barrel on a 590a1? Are you sure? Every Mossberg I am familiar with the bayonet mounts on the bracket that surrounds the magazine tube and the nut that threads on end of tube. I guess that the rear ring with mount could be considered part of the barrel assembly, but it is not the barrel itself.

perpster
December 20, 2008, 01:50 AM
roklok you are correct. I interpreted your previous post to mean that bayonets couldn't be mounted at all; didn't realize you were specifying the exact mounting point.

Dave McC
December 20, 2008, 09:49 AM
Perpster, I have not, but my gut reaction is there'd be no change.

Back in the days of wood stocked infantry rifles and iron infantrymen, the SMLE used by the British had one set of sights, but fixing the bayonet changed the zero predictably. Brit soldiers were trained to adjust their hold.

The SMLE has lots more barrel metal of smaller diameter than Mossberg's pipes.

The Springfield 03 I took my first buck with was a low numbered job that had been through WWI. When I checked the zero the first time we found the battle sights were pretty much on at 125 yards instead of the 375 yard standard.

My coach, who had carried a Garand through Europe with the 29th Division, opined that a previous user had bayoneted something or someone hard enough to bend the barrel.

A couple things about bayonets on shotguns.....

First, while these were used in the past, I don't see any in the pics from our current difficulties. There's probably a good reason there. I don't see mounted on M4s either.

Second, considering how obsessed some folks are about getting the shortest legal shotgun possible, why are some of these same folks wanting to add 8-10" to the OA length?

Third, I'd wager the usual flagon of mead NONE of the folks who want bayonets have ever used one in a crisis.

Said coach above when I asked flat out if he had ever bayoneted anyone said he had worked very, very hard at not letting them get that close. I dropped the matter.

If the muzzle is pointed at the perp anyway, why not shoot? If your shotgun is empty, you've the options of ramming the muzzle into his COM or buttstroking the SOB.

Better yet, learn to not run it dry.....

perpster
December 20, 2008, 03:54 PM
Dave,

Thank you for the story about your coach and bayonets. I doubt I would use a bayonet on my shotgun but I like having the option. There is something about seeing a sharp object that generates a visceral instinctive fear. It is akin to the learned fear of the sound/sight of a shotgun being shucked. Why not have to option for a "double threat"? I am limiting my discussion to a shotgun that would be used for close-in defense with shot shells, not an aimed slug gun. I do think you are correct that the bayonet could cause loss of zero etc, but at the distances I'm thinking of the effect would be negligible.

Dave McC
December 20, 2008, 06:24 PM
I really do not care whether or not a bayonet on the front end of my shotgun intensifies the fear factor of a perp.

Either said individual is doing EXACTLY what he's told or is past all caring and is assuming ambient temperature.

perpster
December 22, 2008, 11:21 PM
If the muzzle is pointed at the perp anyway, why not shoot?
I could give you lots of reasons in PRNY, for both civilians and LEO. Been there, done that.

scorpion_tyr
December 23, 2008, 12:14 AM
I didn't want to post on this thread, but seeing as how it's still around I guess I will. Would I put a bayonet on a shotgun? No. Would it serve any purpose at all for me? No. Would I suggest it? No. Can it be done? Yes. Do I want to see pictures of it? Yes.

Vergeltung
December 23, 2008, 09:52 AM
I have the 590, but I don't see the point of a bayonet for it. I don't see the use. the gun is scary looking enough for all but the most determined Zombie. :)

chickenman
December 23, 2008, 01:43 PM
scorpion tyr

Ask and you shall - http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=304309

oneounceload
December 23, 2008, 10:32 PM
putting a bayonet on a shotgun loses you the ability to maneuver easily, looks ridiculous and really serves no purpose - grab a handgun if you're that worried.....you kill someone with that setup and a lawyer will ruin your life while you go to jail....:rolleyes:

Katrina Guy
December 24, 2008, 09:29 AM
Most people (in here at least) purchase home defense shotguns, that is to say typically with a shorter barrel and higher mag capacity, shorter barrel for use inside one's home, and you want to add six to ten inches onto the end of your home defense shotgun? Would think that shotgun would now be bumping into walls and lamp shades and you name it, why not just get a longer firearm if length appears to be something some seem impressed with, alas, gals are correct, size matters apparently.
To each his own, it just appears to me that some just like the idea of having some kind of bad ass looking, looking perhaps more then functional, firearm.
No combat expert by any means here (me I mean) but cumbersome and additional length seem to be very unwanted assets in a combat situation...the equivelnt almost of choosing a Dirty Harry .44 mag two hander with 8" barrel instead of a semi auto pistol. Here's one, add a bayonet to an oversized handgun, yea now that would be cooooooool!

greensteelforge
June 22, 2010, 09:18 AM
Not sure what the debate here is. Bayonets are a bit dated as a combat weapon, but still constitute a polearm if used properly. If you need a bayonet to defend your home, you most likely suffer from an over-active imagination. Home defense is not trench warfare, nor is it the kind of thing most of us really need to think too much about. A safe path of egress will get you allot farther than a bayonet in a gunfight. Lots of fun reading all the opinions out there (most obviously coming from guys who've never seen a live firefight). Violent fantasies are nothing but impotence. I'm well aware of what I can do, and can't fathom why any of you want to think this much about this kind of thing.