PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Conversion

Jam1775
December 3, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi guys...new to the forum here and seeking some advice. I have an old Remington 870 Wingmaster that I've owned for about 40 years. It is mint condition except it was converted to an 18.5" barrel with Remington pistol grip and mag extender by my gunsmith uncle about 25 years ago. Yup...I had him cut down a Full Choke barrel (has RFP Full stampings) and nope...I no longer have the original stock. Despite the mods this shotgun has not one cosmetic flaw on it. It takes 2 3/4" shells and has Serial # 828635V .
I'm thinking of buying a new full choke 28-30" barrel and new matching wood stock. Were the 870's made better back then ? Is this conversion worth it ??

rantingredneck
December 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
Shop around on gunbroker for the barrel and ebay/gunbroker for the stocks. Barrel will probably run you around 100-150 (I just bought a nice 28" mod WM barrel for 125.00 a few weeks ago).

All total you can probably do what you are looking to do for 150-170 bucks or so.

I'd say it is worth it to convert a semi usable HD gun to a very usable HD/field gun. You can also switch the barrel and mag extension back and forth as you need to. Personally I'd ditch the pistol grip permanently though. Not much use other than looking tackycool.

You'll also need a shorter mag spring and mag cap if you are ditching the extension. Inexpensive parts......

zippy13
December 3, 2008, 10:47 AM
Greetings, Jam1775 and welcome aboard,

Since your Wingmaster was manufactured, Remigton introduced the 870 Express model. The Express is scaled back cosmetically and some parts substituted to reduce costs.
Twenty-five years ago, a Wingmaster was an entry level shotgun and an ideal candidate for conversion to a tactical gun. These days the conversion gun of choice would be a 870 Express; however, it's not necessary because OE "converted" guns are readily available. The modern 870 Wingmaster is a higher end shotgun.
If it were my gun, I'd replace the stock and barrel to configure the gun as an upgraded OE trap or skeet gun.

Dave McC
December 3, 2008, 09:32 PM
Well worth it, especially if you trash that PG.

Old WMs are great shotguns. The one I use most these days for wingshooting was made in 1955. The 30" Full barrel is off it and it has a 30" Light Contour barrel with Remchokes. The stock has been extended to fit my behemoth frame and it's a death ray when I do my part. A Decellerator pad takes the pain away nicely.

In near new condition when I got it a few years back, it's just getting nice and slick.

The 28" barrel may be a better choice.

HTH....

zippy13
December 4, 2008, 08:53 AM
Jam1775

PM sent - 870 stock set on eBay

jdscholer
December 4, 2008, 09:41 AM
I've got an older one -3700xxM- that has killed a truckload of meat and clays over the years. I got rid of my old 30" full choke barrel for a 26" vent rib with rem-chokes. LOVE IT.
I see wooden stocks and synthetic stocks all the time at our local gun shows, for very reasonable prices. Mine had the old ribbed forend and nonengraved butt-stock. I've still got them but am now using Remington synthetic replacements. jd

Jam1775
December 4, 2008, 11:31 AM
Guys...I think will convert my trusty old WM to it's original condition with new barrel and stock. I will also consider a shorter 28 or 26" full choke rather than the longer 30". Zippy....my wife has a PayPal account. I am asking that she assist so I can jump into the bidding (currently @ $54) on that fancy 870WM stock / forend ! Thanks much !