PDA

View Full Version : 1st gun help please; Mossberg 500 Persuader or Combo? Both are same price

Youthagainst
November 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
Hi, this is my first post.

This is going to be my first firearm purchase ever, and I am unsure of what to do.

To make a long story short, I camped out during black Friday to get a Mossberg 500 Persuader for $229, but now I can choose between that or a 500 combo that comes with 18.5" and 28" barrels for the same price,

The Persuader is a 20" barrel and 8+1 shot, while the combo has both 18.5" and 28" barrels, but is only 6+1 shot.

I think that I will mainly be using the gun for home defense, but I also might like to go skeet or other target shooting. Since this is my first gun, I am not sure, so right now I am leaning towards the combo as I don't want to close any doors.

What does everyone think?

Master Blaster
November 30, 2008, 08:58 PM
Get the combo, you can always add an extension tube to your magazine.

The combo will be more pleasant to practice with and its tough to shoot skeet with a pistol grip.:)

New_Pollution1086
November 30, 2008, 09:01 PM
Welcome to the board, I recently bought the combo and it is awesome, its 5+1 not 6, but if you cant kill it with 6 your not going to do it with 9:cool:. get a shell holder and you'll be fine.

barrel swap is a no brainer, slide back, unscrew, pull out barrel, put in other barrel, screw in. 10 seconds.

if you ever get into skeet or hunting you'll be glad you have the 28incher.

plus you can use the clamp the 18.5 barrel comes on as a ghetto flashlight holder. it works great.
heres mine
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2953135058_19d6c735ff.jpg?v=0

T

hoytinak
November 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
I've got the combo and it's been great for me. I keep the 18.5" on it for HD duty but if I need a backup for trap/hunting or a buddy that doesn't have a shotgun (which I have a couple that like to bum :rolleyes:) want's to go I can swap in the 28" barrel and use it.

Ricky B
November 30, 2008, 09:04 PM
Get the combo.

The 18.5" barrel is better for HD and 6 + 1 is plenty. The 28" barrel will allow you to hunt and also to shoot clay target games, which will help you familiarize yourself with the weapon, even if you don't want to hunt.

Youthagainst
November 30, 2008, 09:05 PM
do these take magazine extenders? I thought that the 590s did, but I didn't know 500s did.

Also, how often do I have to take apart the whole thing to clean it? I imagine I will have to snake the barrel every time after I shoot, but what about other maintenance?

New_Pollution1086
November 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
i don't think you can use a mag extender, it will screw up how the barrel screw in. as for cleaning every couple thousand rounds. its a mossy its used to it :D

T

hoytinak
November 30, 2008, 09:13 PM
do these take magazine extenders? I thought that the 590s did, but I didn't know 500s did.

Also, how often do I have to take apart the whole thing to clean it? I imagine I will have to snake the barrel every time after I shoot, but what about other maintenance?

The mag extentions won't work with the barrels but the 5+1 (not 6+1) is plenty. Mine hasn't been cleaned in prolly 500 rounds or so, barrel included. :o

Youthagainst
November 30, 2008, 09:25 PM
Mine hasn't been cleaned in prolly 500 rounds or so, barrel included.

Really? I thought you had to clean them after each time at the range

hoytinak
November 30, 2008, 09:30 PM
I thought you had to clean them after each time at the range

You really should but I'm lazy when it comes to the shotguns (I do clean my handguns and rifles all the time though)...:o Even when I do break it down to clean it real good, there's nothing to it, Mossbergs are real easy to strip and clean.

DixieboyFL
November 30, 2008, 09:43 PM
Where may I ask were they for sale for $229.00.

I want one !!!!!!

zippy13
November 30, 2008, 10:00 PM
Greetings, youthagainst and welcome aboard.

Get the combo, and here's why...

With the Persuader you have a tactical specific shotgun -- basically a component of your security system and not well suited for much other than training. With the combo, you have a system that's suitable for your HD as well as hunting (with slug or shot) and some target sports.

The Persuader's extra shell capacity is obtained by using a non-standard configuration. Check the archives, you'll see several Persuader owners who were disappointed to learn that their guns DON'T accept the standard Mossbeg 500 extra barrels. With the combo, you'll have access to a huge variety of tactical, hunting and target accessories -- with the Persuader your options are significantly limited.

None of the above is meant to say the Persuader isn't a fine gun, and it's appropriate in certain limited circumstances. However, IMHO, the Persuader's a poor choice for a first, or only shotgun.

Youthagainst
November 30, 2008, 10:25 PM
Where may I ask were they for sale for $229.00.

I want one !!!!!!

They were onsale at Big 5 as a black friday doorbuster deal. I was there at 5:30 AM to get mine. You had from 5:30 to 3 pm, then they went up $20, and were on sale for $249.

I have been looking at shotguns for a while now, and was tempted to get a charles daily for $200, but I am happy with my choice.

hogdogs
December 1, 2008, 12:06 AM
Yes the combo is the ideal buy... No they cannot be extended capacity... If you need more than 6 just stick an elastic shell holder on it...:D
My first tear down on my 500 was after thousands of rounds and 18 years...:o But she is clean now and slick as snot.
Brent

ksmash01
December 1, 2008, 02:05 AM
heck of a deal huh...

I ended up buying the 8 shot persuader model(7+1). I already have an 870 Express with a 28" barrel to customize as I wish. I bought the 500 to be the security specific model.

I may end up converting the 870, and getting an O/U for trap and possible field use, but I don't know....

Which Big 5 did you go to? I sold a few Mossberg Combos that day...

Youthagainst
December 1, 2008, 03:21 AM
I went to one in Orange County CA. I heard they were sold out throughout all of southern CA in about an hour, at least the combos were. The Persuaders were all gone by the end of the day.

I guess you used to be able to get these for like $200 on sale, and now you have to camp out to get one for $30 more. Oh well, I imagine I will be happy with it once my waiting period is over. I already bought ammo for it. Should be good for a first gun.

Katrina Guy
December 1, 2008, 07:28 AM
If not why is a secondary barrel of any concern, if so well then of course buy the more versatile model.

SoldiersSon
December 1, 2008, 09:26 AM
Awesome first thread! I've been considering a shotgun for my next purchase, and I didn't even have the 500 Combo on my list. It's at the top now!

zippy13
December 1, 2008, 11:28 AM
Katrina Guy: do you plan on hunting or shooting clays?

Youthagainst said:
"I think that I will mainly be using the gun for home defense, but I also might like to go skeet or other target shooting."

I know about Skeet, but I'm not so sure about "other target shooting," it might want some really specialized barrel.

DixieboyFL
December 1, 2008, 07:06 PM
I still want one.

We don't have any of those stores where we are located in the SW Coast of Florida.

Anybody want to help me out and pick one up ?

Thanks, Mike

bilyspit
December 1, 2008, 08:38 PM
Hey Youthagainst, I''m in your neck of the woods and I recently took a trap class at the Prado Dam Shooting Complex in Chino (Just off the 91 fwy a little way up the 71) I plan to get addicted to clay sports because it was some of the most fun with a gun I've ever had. That longer barrel in the combo would come in handy for beginning trap & skeet. I took a private lesson with the range pro, which was a little pricey, but really worth it. He had us dusting clay with fair regularity for beginners. You can look them up here;

http://www.shootprado.com/

Youthagainst
December 1, 2008, 10:05 PM
Cool. Thanks man, as I am new to the whole shooting thing I appreciate the info. If anyone else knows good spots around Orange County to check out, I would appreciate it.

onthejon55
December 2, 2008, 02:12 AM
the slug barrel isnt going to give u the accuracy a remington would but out to 50 yards it'll kill deer

mav88
December 2, 2008, 02:38 AM
Good thing with moss 500 is their easy to clean, customize, and dissasemble.
I haves moss which I use for hunting andshoots great. Imade my
Maverick tacticool for hd. Remington 870 also are reliable, good thing
Is both has been equipped with Leo and military, both
Have good reputations just dependso what a person
Prefers.

Tommy Gun
December 15, 2008, 03:33 PM
I consistently get 6" groups or less out of my choked smooth bore Mossy 500A with Fosters slugs at 100 yards. I use the factory iron sights to boot.

Chuckusaret
December 15, 2008, 07:34 PM
I have the 500 12 ga 20" Cruiser and my son has the combo with the pistol grip or the stock with a long barrel and a short barrel. Both are fun to shoot and both are used for HD. You will like either one I am sure

Chuckusaret
December 15, 2008, 07:38 PM
You can't install a mag extension on the 500A. I went with the Cruiser because of the 7+1 for Home Defense.

Chuckusaret
December 15, 2008, 07:49 PM
Clean a shotgun? I run a brush and a oil cleaning pad thru the barrel and wipe it down with light oil rag after a trip to the range. After +/- 250 rounds I do a complete tear down, inspection and cleaning. This has worked for me for the past 30 or 40 years. I still shoot a Fox that I have had for over 50 years

Katrina Guy
December 15, 2008, 09:19 PM
I'd opt for the Persuader or a 590, since as you originally posted, shooting clays or something is something you might consider doing in the future.
I say get while the getting is good, but that's just democratic president, congress and senate paranoid Katrina Guy.

nemoaz
December 18, 2008, 01:48 AM
Good thing with moss 500 is their easy to clean, customize, and dissasemble.
I haves moss which I use for hunting andshoots great. Imade my
Maverick tacticool for hd. Remington 870 also are reliable, good thing
Is both has been equipped with Leo and military, both
Have good reputations just dependso what a person
Prefers.

Mav, are you a poet? Never seen anyone capitalize the first letter of every
Line like you do. :)

RedneckFur
December 18, 2008, 01:58 AM
Go for the combo. The 2nd barrel adds versatility, and if you find out later you dont need, it, you can sell it and use the money to buy more ammo or accessories