PDA

View Full Version : what do varmint hunters do with their kills?

2002gti
November 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
do they sell the pelts? im pretty sure they dont eat them.....

hunter33
November 30, 2008, 09:09 PM
Depends on what varmints your talking about. Some I eat.

rhillen
November 30, 2008, 09:11 PM
+1 for Hunter33

indy245
December 1, 2008, 01:00 AM
I give the yotes' to a local fur seller, if they are in decent shape. Most other Varmints go to the gut pile, to attract more vermin, if they are not usuable - Magpies, Muskrats, etc.

Indy.

butta9999
December 1, 2008, 03:03 AM
I only head shoot rabbits because they taste great.

Foxes i look for a text book kill shot.

Crows usually blow up.

Feral cats i try to blow them up.

Feral pigs any shot is a good shot (farmers wishes), usually a text book kill though.

Goats Vitals only, the poor buggers squeal if wounded.

Hares chest, head shot. Good for eating.

Daryl
December 1, 2008, 04:33 AM
I skin them, take good care of the hide, and sell them to fur buyers.

Bobcats, coons and such usually go to my dogs after I skin 'em.

Daryl

fisherman66
December 1, 2008, 09:07 AM
I allow the local environ to absorb them if they are not meat creatures. They may be bait for hogs. Usually I'm just glad to give my preferred game animals a slight edge in the food chain.

jdscholer
December 1, 2008, 09:20 AM
Not a problem. Me and Mrs. jd just spent 3 days calling coyotes, and never killed a one.:confused: Yeah, I'm kinda baffeled.
When we do kill them, we take very good care of the hides, and lately have been sending them in for tanning. - bg wants to make a coyote comforter.
I don't know anyone who eats coyote, but who knows; it may be great:rolleyes:. Two hours in the oven with mushroom soup will do wonders for most anything.:) jd

JackL
December 1, 2008, 09:26 AM
What, indeed? (http://www.recipesforwildgame.com/woodchuck/woodchuck_recipes.htm)

Almost anything (http://www.recipesforwildgame.com/Raccoon/RACCOON_recipes.htm) is edible, particularly if one is willing to adjust (http://www.redneckpossum.com/PossumRecipes.htm) one's standards occasionally. (http://wfcb.ucdavis.edu/www/Faculty/Desley/muskrats_recipes.htm)

I'd imagine that even coyotes--at least the ones that aren't professional dumpster divers--are edible; any standard recipe for dog should work. Good luck getting hold of dog recipes in the US, though--or getting away with trying them.

Art Eatman
December 1, 2008, 09:57 AM
Not being in the fur-selling business, I figure that a dead varmint is food for other varmints. No dead critter lasts long. I've even seen dead cows become nothing but white, scattered bones in a week or so...

Daryl
December 1, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'd imagine that even coyotes--at least the ones that aren't professional dumpster divers--are edible;

They're edible to some animals, but you'd be hard put to swallow a bite of it.

Ever skinned a coyote? The meat has a certain odor to it, and according to a good friend of mine, it tastes just like it smells.

See, he and I are into salvaging most things we shoot, including the useable parts of coyotes. He tells me of once picking out a nice one, fattened on orchard apples, to eat.

He fixed it up, cut himself off a bit, and tried to eat it. He said you can chew it all day long if you want to, but you won't be able to swallow it.

And I generally take his word for it on things like that. He'll eat things that most folks won't want to touch. Raw liver, coon, or bobcat is all table fare in his eyes. Coyotes go to his dogs, and it took them about three days with no dog food to get around to eating them.

So, I guess if I was REALLY hungry, and it was a matter of life or death, then I'd TRY to eat one. Considering how tough they can be to hunt though, and how many better eating animals there are out there that are easier to kill, I doubt it's going to happen.

It's not something you'll enjoy if you decide to try it. I'm convinced of that.

If you somehow come up with a recipe that makes them somewhat edible, then please do post it. I'll even cook it up, and use my airedales as test pilots for the result. If they;ll willingly eat it, and the smell doesn't run me out of the house (and the wife still lets me back in), then I might try a small bite.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Daryl

hogdogs
December 1, 2008, 10:37 AM
Daryl, I feed my dogs most anything but I don't wish to feed them 'yote. Just to close to cannibalism and I think there has been enough study to suggest there could be health implications of this practice...:barf:
Just not my thing. Yotes can feed on yotes all they wish. I would like to have a nice hide tanned for the wall...
Brent

JackL
December 1, 2008, 11:22 AM
Daryl, your post was highly informative and more than slightly entertaining. Thank you--seriously!

I've eaten, at least once, all the critters in the actual links I posted--plus armadillo (fairly high ick factor; a notch or two south of possum on the culinary appeal scale IMHO) and dog (a few times, overseas. I refrain from doing so in the States, due not only to the inevitably horrified reactions but because, like most Westerners, I really do see dogs much more as workmates or pets than as livestock.)

I've never eaten coyote; in fact, every coyote I've seen so far has been either (a) road kill or (b) running away. I'm not eager to eat one, and as long as they stay away from my pets and livestock I might not even go out of my way to shoot one (although some of them do seem to have nice pelts, which is one possible motive).

I know of at least one dog recipe on the Web. Maybe someone could use it by just substituting "coyote" for "dog", but whether that would do anything to render the coyote edible is another question. Thus, I'm not much inclined to post the link unless someone really wants to check it out.

Coyotes go to his dogs, and it took them about three days with no dog food to get around to eating them.

That's gotta be the money quote, right there. :barf:

But I'm not holding my breath.

From the sound of it, you might want to ... while the 'yote was cooking. :D

nra_guns_winner
December 1, 2008, 11:31 AM
I eat some, I use some for bait for other varmints, and I know a not so well off man who skins out any road kill he comes across, so last but not least I through a few his way, he needs the money more than I. No way I would ever skin out a skunk. Yea and some just lay around and stink and rot.

fisherman66
December 1, 2008, 11:37 AM
NRA; we live inside a 1/4 mile of a fairly large lake. I passed a road killed beaver on the interstate a couple weeks ago that appeared to be in good condition. For a fleeting second I considered pulling off and dodging traffic to get that beaver carcass. That moment passed. I'm not sure what the Parks and Wildlife office would have made of road killed fur bearers. I don't really want to find out.

JohnKSa
December 1, 2008, 11:54 AM
im pretty sure they dont eat them...A varmint is a pest species.

Other pest species include:

Mice
Rats
Cockroaches

When was the last time you looked at an "occupied" rat trap and mused: "Ok, now where's my recipe book for small rodents?" :D

There are different rules for killing pests/varmints than the rules used for hunting game animals.

rem870hunter
December 1, 2008, 12:30 PM
woodchucks (groundhogs) bury or toss them in a hole from where i guess they came from. coyote and or fox. i may try to skin and give the pelts to someone who wants them. i have no clue what to do with them.

Daryl
December 1, 2008, 12:56 PM
JackL,

You're welcome. Sometimes the true stuff is the funniest. I won't mention any names, simply because the above mentioned friend is pretty well known on the 'net, but my brother told me of an incident that happened while hunting with the same guy.

One of them shot a mule deer, and while they were field dressing it, this guy was eating the liver.

I've eaten some things that others would frown on. Menudo, tripe de leche, rattle snake, and I'm sure I've eaten gato a time or two in Mexico, but I'm not going to eat coyote. I've skinned way to many, and while my dogs love to play with the live kind, they don't want to eat the meat from them.

and if it isn't good enough for the dogs, I'm not interested.

Coyotes do have a purdy hide, though. ;)

Brent,

You're probably right, and that's one more reason to not feed coyotes to my dogs...not that they'd eat them, because I won't force it on them. The only thing I've seen that would happily eat coyote is a buzzard, and if you put a sewer rat next to the coyote I'm betting the rat would get eaten first.

butta9999
December 2, 2008, 01:59 AM
the red fox has a slight odour too. I would not attempt to eat it.. There hides used to be worth a bit but not any more.

We also has a bounty on them a few years back.. $20 per fox..

hardhit
December 2, 2008, 05:37 AM
Were I go shooting It’s very dry and Foxes are skinny and full of mange and desperate for food , I think im doing them a favor when sending 55 grains in their direction no skinning necessary.

jdscholer
December 2, 2008, 09:39 AM
One of the grey areas of our sport is the question of if, and how much must we utilize some of the animals that we kill.
I think that when we pull the trigger on something, some justification is in order. If there is some good use that the dead critter can be put to, - meat, fur/hide, or other, it should be done. IMO.
Don't forget, the bunny huggers are watching, and many of them put more value on animal life than they do on humans.:rolleyes:
By the way, if ya kill somethin that's wearing a decent pelt, you owe it to yourself to send it in for tanning. Furs are cool, beautiful, and great to have simply laying around. I've seen a big WOW factor in folks who would normaly be against killing a "cute' critter, when they get a chance to fondle a nice pelt. jd

hogdogs
December 2, 2008, 09:48 AM
JD, While completely legal, I am very reserved in how I mention feral cat killing in person locally... they are a devastating pest yet so many folks think they deserve to be in the wild.:barf::mad:
Brent

Logs
December 2, 2008, 10:11 AM
I hunt Coyotes and I am not sure how many have been up close to one, but the STINK.... I leave them for the Crows and then blow them up too. :)

9mm1033
December 2, 2008, 10:42 AM
The varmints I shoot (groundhogs, skunks and raccoons) are left where they lay for scavenger turkey buzzards or coyotes.

Brian Pfleuger
December 2, 2008, 11:42 AM
I send 'em home to warn the others.;)

(I shoot mainly woodchucks (groundhogs to the southerner))

Scorch
December 2, 2008, 01:27 PM
There are different rules for killing pests/varmints than the rules used for hunting game animals.True, but I still try to use any parts I can. Coyotes get skinned for pelts, ground swuirrels get their tails cut off, jackrabbits get fed to my friend's falcons, and feral cats get turned into excellent quality fertilizer. I leave skunks alone, if only for the fact that if you do shoot one, it stinks up the whole area.
they are a devastating pest yet so many folks think they deserve to be in the wild.But Brent, they're so cyooooot!!!!!!!
Especially as the hair starts to settle out of the air.

jdscholer
December 2, 2008, 08:51 PM
Hey Brent, back when I used to trap, I received regular fur price flyers in the mail - mainly Moscow Fur in Idaho. There was an actual market for feral cats, seems like price was about the same as muskrats. Also, coyote canine teeth, porcupine fur, skunk pelts, and cats claws. My local fur buyer even sold coon pizzles. And yes, I still have a few.:o
You can bet that our distant ancestors made use of everything except the squeal. I don't do quite that well, but we do pretty good with what Ma Nature provides. You shoulda seen Mrs. jd cutting the teeth out of our elk jaws to make do dads and dingle dangles.:p jd

hogdogs
December 2, 2008, 09:10 PM
As a kid trappin' I got several "by cat'ch" kitties. I just skinned them out and put them on the stretcher and bobbed the tail. The fur buyer came to a "barn" in town once every few weeks. He is the one who told me to "run them thru the middle of the stack, I'll give you something for them." when he run his hand in them feeling for hair quality he would wink at me and ask... "nother *nutria rabbit*?" Yessir says me! This was in abbeville louisiana.
Brent

wpcexpert
December 2, 2008, 11:38 PM
I was in one varmint forum a couple weeks ago. I can't find it just now. But the question about eating coyotes was asked. But there is an annual Song-dog cook-off or sumpthin. I want to say Wyoming, but I'm not sure. There were like 30 different recipes. Some were claiming the great taste if cooked right.

Yithian
December 2, 2008, 11:40 PM
Whats a coon pizzle?
And what are "by cat'ch" kitties?
I'm thinking they are terms used in local areas. Local to you and not me. LOL

Anyway, back to the original thread.
The last varmint I killed was a skunk. It was about 10 yards away and it turned to run away. I had my Saiga308 loaded with 110gr V-Max's and a view of a Texas Heart Shot.
The hapless critter vaporized.
All I saw was the poof of the critter, blink, and watched the hide float back to the ground from about two feet up.
ATTT was with me, and all he said was, "Oh God!"
I wanted a pic of the scene, but the next thing he said was,
"If you go anywhere near that, you are riding on the top of the truck all the way home."
The air was permeated by a fair skunk scent, but not bad. That was because of the dominant scent left behind...
The air smelled roasted and burnt. :D
I could've died laughing that afternoon, ...and the next.
It's macabre but, I still get a good chuckle when I think of it.

Not sure what I could've done with the remnants of that critter.
I suppose the ants had a picnic.

In the end, and grand scheme of things, everything on this planet gets recycled back into the earth, eventually.
No matter what you, as the hunter, decide to do with it.

hogdogs
December 2, 2008, 11:48 PM
the pizzle is a snoop dizzle way of describing a particular coon body part that sells pretty well in some areas...
"by cat'ch" kittie= feral cats which are by catch when you are trying for coon, rabbit and nutria rats. My fur buyer called my cat hides "nutria rabbit"....
Brent

butta9999
December 3, 2008, 12:17 AM
The best feral cat is one that i have blown up with my .300 magnum using 180gr accubond's, so afterwards there is no existance of the stinking thing.

Sorry but i have no feelings what so ever for the feral cat. They do so much destruction on our native wild life here in Australia and there is blody millions of them.

We also have a huge feral population of dogs now, they are causing havoc on our live stock.

razorburn
December 3, 2008, 04:38 AM
What part? The penis? Who buys raccoon penises?

Daryl
December 3, 2008, 07:39 AM
What part? The penis? Who buys raccoon penises?

Yep. Some folks like to make toothpicks out of 'em. ;)

No, I'm not kidding.

Daryl

hogdogs
December 3, 2008, 08:02 AM
And daryl has been there I see! :cool:
Brent

Daryl
December 3, 2008, 10:28 AM
And daryl has been there I see!
Brent

Of course! Everyone ought to have a good 'coon pick.

I have an extra one here that I got from a big ol' chicken thieving coon. Might send it to my wife's brother for Christmas, as a gag gift.

After all, he showed some interest in it for some reason.

Daryl

jdscholer
December 3, 2008, 11:13 AM
Yet one more variety of 'Redneck Toothpick" :) jd

fisherman66
December 3, 2008, 11:42 AM
Of course! Everyone ought to have a good 'coon pick.

pick or prick?

I feel a case of the lock jaw comin'

jdscholer
December 3, 2008, 11:49 AM
It's the perfect gift for the guy who already has the deer scrotum shift-knob cover.;) jd

Randman
December 3, 2008, 11:59 AM
Can someone point me in the right direction for hunting varmints in the Austin TX area? Don't mean to thread jack, just didn't see any info after doing a search...

Oh, and I used to feed the squirrels to the dogs, minus the tails...

Rabbits got cooked up...

Yote's well, walked over, looked at em, said cool, then walked away!

Crow...yeah right, like there was anything left to look at!! LOL

Daryl
December 3, 2008, 04:55 PM
pick or prick?

That depends on the company your in.

If you're around some rowdy types, you can call it a "coon whistle", and see if they'll stick it in their mouth and blow on it. When it doesn't make any sound, tell 'em they need to blow harder. It's usually good for a laugh, if only to yourself.

For the unknowing, here's a picture of a "coon pick", taken next to a quarter laying on a buffalo robe. Sorry about the quality; since my camera's battery was dead, I took it with my cell phone.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Daryl45/Coonpick.jpg

zahnzieh
December 3, 2008, 11:51 PM
"You are what you eat" as they say. And i have seen too many coyotes eat something so bad it would make a buzzard barf1:barf::D Why would you consider even eating one:barf::barf::barf:

washingtonhunter
January 1, 2009, 08:13 PM
Yep i use to eat all kinds of varmants when i live in oregon on my property:barf:

texfar
January 2, 2009, 07:51 AM
This is a great thread!:D
Depends on the varmit, coons-will eat and no I don't stock the freezer with them. Squirrels- eat, armadillo- will eat, Yote-nope, foxes-fur, as a note on tanning most anything, the cost has gone absolutely through the roof. for years I tanned every deer hide. 30 bucks was reasonable. It now cost well over a hundred bucks now in my area. Foxes, if the taxidermist will take them 110 bucks a hide with no guarentee because really thin skinned and delicate. Really got to be a nice one for me to do them these days. Ferrel cats- bait, but man I have seen some beautiful fur on these guys during the winter.

Can't remember, am I allowed to post a pic of one???? It is a beauty.

Will have to start collecting the " coon pics I reckon". By the way, dog can pretty good. Guys I worked with overseas invited me over one night for "Doggy Adobo" great meal that was. Rattle snakes-will eat. Oh, don't ever harvest several and put them in a burlap sack then eat them. They will bite each other and you will get some kinda sick. They are immune to their own venom. Possum - Won't eat unless in dire straits somewhere.

Guess I try and do my part with not being wasteful, but there is a limit as to how far I will go with it or how desperate my situation is.
Ken:D

cornbush
January 2, 2009, 06:47 PM
I've tried possum, coyote, and mountain lion as well as rabbits. Rabbits are great, the lion was ok, the rest can stay where they fall

mega twin
January 2, 2009, 08:28 PM
What about prairie dogs? anybody try them?

hogdogs
January 2, 2009, 09:03 PM
P-dogs can carry bubonic plague... most shooters won't even touch them...
Brent

T. O'Heir
January 2, 2009, 11:10 PM
"...groundhogs to the southerner..." Southerner from where? They're ground hogs up here too. Most of 'em get stuffed back down their holes.

jdscholer
January 2, 2009, 11:11 PM
What about prairie dogs? anybody try them?

Speaking of this, I blundered into a discussion on NPR Radio the other day, where a gal was talking about a book she had written about prairie dogs and their near human communication skills and community compassion and shrinking habitat and God knows what else.

It sounded like the start of a movement to me, and we'd better start looking for good recipies so we can justify killing these cute little guys.:rolleyes: jd