PDA

View Full Version : Adding screw-in chokes

NickySantoro
November 26, 2008, 06:23 PM
I have a Marlin 90 which I lent out for bird hunting. It came back to me with a blown out barrel near the end. I think I know what happened but that is irrelevant. Lesson learned. I had to cut off some inches from 28" down to 24". Now I have an O/U with cylinder bore barrels.
The OD of the barrels is .815"
The ID of the barrels is .730".
I've been advised that even thin wall tubes cannot be threaded and installed.
Are there any alternatives to resurrect this into a bird gun again with some sort of choke system? An HD cylinder bore gun is redundant to me.
TIA

BigJimP
November 26, 2008, 06:39 PM
I would suggest you talk to Briley in Texas - but I think its going to cost you about $ 250 with shipping and everything.

I don't know if its worth that much to you / but I would have talked to Briley before I cut the barrel too. All I can say is good luck.

crowbeaner
November 26, 2008, 06:43 PM
Contact Steve Rose of Rose's Gunsmithing in Kentucky; he'll thread your barrel and install choke tubes for $100 and shipping both ways. Fast turnaround and excellent work. He advertises under gunsmithing on gunbroker for details; he did an old early serial # Ithaca for me this spring and we had it back in time to turkey hunt; very nice job.
www.roseactionsports.com

hogdogs
November 26, 2008, 07:00 PM
And there is still the venerable poly choke option as well...
Brent

zippy13
November 26, 2008, 07:37 PM
+1 On Briley for info on screw-ins; but, there are other solutions.

If you don't have to have to have an adjustable choke system, consider jug chokes for a lot less $$$. Millions of targets were ink-balled and birds harvested before the advent of the screw-in choke. Some argue that jugs performs better than a screw-ins. I shot my first competition 100-straight with jug (ported Tula) chokes.

ebutler462
November 26, 2008, 08:41 PM
While I am a fan of Polychokes and use them all the time, I haven't found a way to install them on an double.:confused:

hogdogs
November 26, 2008, 08:48 PM
SORRY!!!! Redneck Brain fart...I Fergit them twice barrel shootin' guns existed there for a min. and failed to google the model first...:o
Brent

publius
November 26, 2008, 09:11 PM
Send it to Briley and send the guy who broke it the bill.

SumToy Custom Barrel
November 26, 2008, 10:20 PM
You Can Have A Sleave Put In It. The Bad Thing Is That It Will Be More Like A Old School Gun Then. You Got What It Is All The Time.

You Can Go With The Tru-choke Tine Wall. That Will Work With What You Have.

Dave McC
November 27, 2008, 07:49 AM
Thin walls may work. Pricey, though.

The 90 doesn't get much attention nowadays, but Bob Stack shot his way to a US Skeet championship with one.

You can send this off to Mike Orlen or Briley for an overbore. That removes barrel metal, leaving some at the muzzle will add a bit of choke. I doubt that you can get much past IC, though before barrel thickness becomes an issue.

In your shoes, I'd sell it to the clod that blew out the barrel and let it be HIS problem. Or, let HIM pay for the fix.

NickySantoro
November 27, 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks to all who resonded. I have emailed Briley, Orlen, and Rose's with the particulars and await their responses as to feasibility in light of the parameters noted. Carlson's has already advised that the .730 I.D exceeds their .727 I.D. maximum.

"In your shoes, I'd sell it to the clod that blew out the barrel and let it be HIS problem. Or, let HIM pay for the fix."

Dave,
I wish I could. This is a "family" issue and you know how that works. No one will do more for you or more to you than family.

kentucky_smith
November 27, 2008, 07:42 PM
Mike Orlen advertises .730/.805 for 12 gauge thinwall max, if anyone can do it...

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=36237

http://users.dls.net/~rdouglas/MikeOrlen.pdf

Dave McC
November 28, 2008, 08:51 AM
Yup, family. That's why Pop's old 16 gauge H&R is no longer around. Still mad after 30 years.

NickySantoro
December 1, 2008, 05:14 PM
Briley (SMP) seems to have "issues" with any "amateurs" and Orlen is non-responsive to emails and faxes. The arrogance in the shotgun community is stultifying. "Fudd" central I suppose. I guess I'll learn to kill birds with my 870 and these elitist "gunsmiths" can take a flying leap at a rolling donut.

ebutler462
December 3, 2008, 04:49 PM
Send kirbythegunsmith@hotmail.com an email. He'll get back with you.

RUT
December 3, 2008, 05:33 PM
>>I've been advised that even thin wall tubes cannot be threaded and installed.<<

That's often the case, especially if it's a 20 ga. I ran into the same problem with a Weatherby 20 ga. o/u. It started life with a mod/full combo, so I had Mike Orlen ream them both out to I.C. It works just fine for clay shooting. ;)

Dave McC
December 3, 2008, 09:42 PM
Barring a few elitists I sometimes outshoot, Nicky, I see little arrogance.

Orlen, I understand, is kinda swamped right now. Give it some time.

Briley, according to folks I trust, is a good place for work.

Use your 870 for now. After Jan 1, try the smiths again. You may also want to try Nu Line or Simmons.

The 90 is worth some work.

alloy
December 4, 2008, 07:19 AM
Mike Orlen was hard to get a response thru email, but i shipped him a barrel monday anyway and it was delivered yesterday. I called tuesday because i was worried that maybe i had shipped it while he was on vacation or out of town, and he answered on the first or second ring. He said most likely a one day turnaround to add chokes to my barrel.

kentucky_smith
December 4, 2008, 10:02 AM
That's been my experience as well. Use a real phone and call.

I sent Mike a Beretta 1200 barrel and a personal check, had it back in a week with the work performed.

10 Spot Terminator
December 4, 2008, 11:42 AM
Check with Carlsons' chokes site, I had an early Mossberg 500 plain barrel done about 6 years ago for about $125.00 and included 3 choke tubes of my choice . Best money I ever spent as that gun and I were magic together from the start and it just got better . 10 SPOT

alloy
December 11, 2008, 03:49 PM
just updating my post.

9 days after i shipped off the barrel, it returned today. screw-ins installed in a m590a1 barrel, and purchased 3 choke tubes, all for roughly a c-note. work done by by Michael Orlen and it looks like excellent quality. cant ask for much more than that.

hopefully will get a chance to pattern a few shells monday.:)

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f54/bigassbike/PICT9569.jpg