PDA

View Full Version : Rifled slug question...

dv0042
November 26, 2008, 05:37 PM
Who makes a decent low-recoil rifled slug? I'm tired of the sore shoulder after 20-25 rounds. I've seen Winchester Winlite 12GA, and Remmy also makes one similar.

Thanks guys.

dabigguns357
November 26, 2008, 06:02 PM
remington,federal,and many others make a low recoil slug.Infact thats what i use for my h/d shotgun.I have to because all i have is a rifled slug barrel.At wal-mart you can pick up low recoil slugs for about $3.20 a box.

bclark1
November 26, 2008, 06:10 PM
Not to be tangential, but my understanding is that rifled slugs are for smoothbores, to provide some twist along a non-rifled barrel. For rifled barrels, you would want to use sabots, because the barrel provides the rifling - you could also use regular slugs, but the lead would foul the rifling quite quickly and be a pain in the rear to clean. Not to hijack the thread, but reading these I was a little ambiguous about specifically what was being said.

I don't have experience with them, but I have seen Remington's "Managed Recoil" line for slugs and sabots in a number of places, leading me to believe they're fairly popular. I do like Remington ammo though, both my rifle and sabot cartridges have been Remington factory for as long as I've been hunting and I've found the particular products I use to be accurate and effective.

Just out of curiosity, when would you be shooting 20-25 rounds of 12ga slugs? Even when I pattern a new gun with turkey loads, I rarely go through more than a few boxes of 5... sighting in for deer is typically a couple boxes... and I certainly wouldn't want to "plink" with 12ga slugs...

Brian Pfleuger
November 26, 2008, 06:13 PM
If your bench shooting I'd highly recommend a Caldwell Lead Sled or similar device. Really makes shooting the nasty guns fun again.

dv0042
November 26, 2008, 08:24 PM
"Just out of curiosity, when would you be shooting 20-25 rounds of 12ga slugs? Even when I pattern a new gun with turkey loads, I rarely go through more than a few boxes of 5... sighting in for deer is typically a couple boxes... and I certainly wouldn't want to "plink" with 12ga slugs..."

Indoor range nearby only allows slugs, so to go and only shoot a box or two is a bit of a waste of time. It's the only shooting I can get between busting clays, and the nearest outdoor range for that is 45 minutes away, so I don't get to go as much as I'd like.

I'm gonna be looking into a rifle purchase soon, so I can shoot a little more often, but till then...

zippy13
November 27, 2008, 12:18 AM
Not to be tangential, but my understanding is that rifled slugs are for smoothbores, to provide some twist along a non-rifled barrel. For rifled barrels, you would want to use sabots, because the barrel provides the rifling - you could also use regular slugs, but the lead would foul the rifling quite quickly and be a pain in the rear to clean. Not to hijack the thread, but reading these I was a little ambiguous about specifically what was being said From recent threads on slugs, I've gleaned, the purpose of slug rifling is to reduce friction and allow the slug to be constricted as it passes the choke section of a smooth bore. Yes, you're correct, rifled barrels are happiest with sabots.

dabigguns357
November 27, 2008, 01:27 AM
I have used sabot,regular,and managed recoil slugs through my rifled slug barrel with success.I go shooting often and use anywhere from 25-50 rounds each time,mosty cause i love to shoot anything i can get my hands on.It would be like having a shiny new ring that you never wear.In a picture that i post all the time,the shotgun belt is loaded down with 25 low recoil or managed recoil slug just for h/d.

When i go hunting i use hornady 300gr. sst sabot slug,when i go shooting i use the cheapest regular slug at $3.00 a box from wal-mart,when i am at home i use managed recoil slugs.

As for cleaning my gun,i really don't mind.
http://i427.photobucket.com/albums/pp354/dabigguns357/pic001.jpg

Mike U.
November 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
For reduced recoil slugs I mainly use Winchester Ranger.
Several folks in one of these "slug" threads suggested Federal's slugs.
I went and checked it out.
Federal's site has pics of gel testing and results look pretty impressive.
I'll be giving Federal's reduced recoil slugs a try next time I need to re-stock.

Hopefully someone who has already had first hand experience with them will chime in.

arizona98tj
November 30, 2008, 04:54 PM
Just out of curiosity, when would you be shooting 20-25 rounds of 12ga slugs? Even when I pattern a new gun with turkey loads, I rarely go through more than a few boxes of 5... sighting in for deer is typically a couple boxes... and I certainly wouldn't want to "plink" with 12ga slugs...
There is more to a scattergun than hunting. ;)
If one is serious about using ones shotgun in a HD situation, I question how serious one actually is if shooting a box(25) of slugs during a range session raises a question. FWIW, my last training class....400 rounds of birdshot, 250 rounds of 00 buckshot, and 75 slugs. You learn to manage recoil or you hurt. ;)

That being said, I've had very good luck with my 12 gauge Benelli using Federal Truball 1oz. low recoil slugs. They have a rated muzzle velocity of 1300 fps, which is down 300 fps from the regular Truball loading. You can notice the difference, no doubt about it.

shortwave
November 30, 2008, 06:27 PM
dv0042, what length shell are you using and out of what shotgun?

Scattergun Bob
November 30, 2008, 11:24 PM
For indoor range work "reduced" managed recoil rifled slugs are a great idea. Trying to train not to flinch is the key and this type of shell can help. My hat tips toward the Federal Managed recoil slug.

I want to remind all that reduced recoil slugs have as a training aid or within a very narrow tactical niche make sense. As a hunting or general defensive slug they DO NOT get the job done well.

Check out near the bottom of the page; reduced recoil slugs against Black Bear @ http://www.tacticalshotgun.ca/ballistics_shotgun.html

Good Luck & Be Safe

arizona98tj
December 1, 2008, 12:11 AM
The possibility of my encountering a bear in or around the Phoenix metro area are very remote, IMHO.

On the other hand, it said this about the reduced recoil slug....

"Wow! If you can live with the approximate 15 to 20 yard decrease in maximum range (85 yards as compared to approximately 100 with a full power slug), this load exhibits phenomenal penetrating capability...especially when you consider the projectile's poor sectional density.

We highly recommend reduced recoil slugs for animals that weigh less than 500lbs, as they certainly are easier on the shoulder in practice and as such you are likely to practice more and feel more confident in your ability to hit. In our patterning excercises we also found these slugs to be very accurate across a wide variety of guns."

Should I require the use of a reduced recoil slug in defense of my home, located in the general Phoenix metro area, I personally do not feel as though I'll be at a disadvantage. 30" of penetration should be able to get through a bad guy without too much trouble. If I find that I am too disadvantaged, I'll grab standard slugs from the other ammo can and confront the 500+ pound home invader with them. ;)

As always, your needs and mileage may very.

Scattergun Bob
December 1, 2008, 12:30 AM
Under the category of "why Limit Yourself" please view the the pictures of shooting a calf with reduced recoil slugs. As a round to use inside your house, I could see that as one of the narrow tactical niches, and of course as a city folk you are right, besides having to deal with meth addicts, speed freaks and the rest of the Go Juiced gang members in your city, your chances of running into dangerous game is limited. Perhaps .38 special instead of .357 would be in order also:D

Good Luck & Be Safe

X Poacher
December 5, 2008, 09:22 AM
I might be the odd ball here, but I go hunting with rifled slugs in my rifled barrel. For some reason, I could not get a shot group at 50 meters with the Hornady SST slugs or the Winchester Supreme Sabots at $12-$13 a box of 5. All the shot groups were very sparatic, 12 inches was the tightest I could get.

When I switched to the cheap $9 a box of 15 Super X rifled slugs, I was hitting Bullseye at 75 yards with every single shot. I had to sacrifice 300 fps and spending more money per round, but now I'm getting venison and pork on the table and filling up my freezer with the cheaper stuff.
I don't think I'll be shooting past 100 meters anyway so I'm sticking with the sure kill cheap slugs.

Vergeltung
December 5, 2008, 01:23 PM
heya dv0042, I had the same problem, and solved it 2 ways. first, I got the Winlite 12-gauge low recoil. got a whole case. :) next, I got a "shooting pad" for lack of a better word. Cheaper than dirt has tons of them.

the one I got is a nice thick, well-shaped pad that harnesses on to your firing shoulder. sweet ginger brown!! I had the same issue as you, the outdoor range is far and I ain't going all the way there to bust off 10 rounds. last time out I busted through 55 12-gauge rounds. holy schnikies!

that was before the pad, and before the low recoil. jeebus crimmus, I had a bruise that looked like Mike Tyson punched me in the same spot for a few hours. it scared my wife and kids. hadda wear long sleeve t-shirts for a week!! :eek:

anyhoo, try that. FWIW, the pad helps way more than the low recoil rounds. way more. I got the pad at Cheaper Than Dirt (as well as the case of ammo). Cabela's has a shooting shirt with the pad intergrated, but, it's kinda pricey.

don't you live on LI as well? I go out to the Calverton range. if you ever want to meet up and shoot some man-silhouette targets out there let me know (I got dozens of them. cheaper than dirt was the source for that as well). that range has alot of 50-yard shottie table. sweet.

happy shooting! :)

(PM me if you want links to the products mentioned)

johnnyeastside
December 5, 2008, 07:33 PM
"The possibility of my encountering a bear in or around the Phoenix metro area are very remote, IMHO. "

Coincidentally, when I lived in Phoenix, about 8 years ago, I remember seeing on the news a small bear came into town and was rummaging through peoples back yards for food. Something happened in the mountains, I forget, but food was scarce. It was pretty far north. Deer Valley maybe, or a little further east?

hughejh
December 6, 2008, 05:36 AM
I have been shooting the SST now for the past two years. These are tack driving slugs for accuracy but I have noticed as has a buddy of mine that they lack a little in knockdown power. I have had two deer travel a distance and not leave much of a blood trail until near the end. SST slugs seem to be lacking in shock power. Shooting Rem 870 Wingmaster with hastings cantilever rifled barrel. Anyone know of a slug that is similar with more knock down power.

Jumpin Joe

jhgreasemonkey
December 8, 2008, 08:42 PM
I have found the fiocci low recoil rifled slugs are great to practice with. They dont have much recoil and are about half the price of other rifled slugs. Out of my itaca m37 they are reasonably accurate.