PDA

View Full Version : DPMS waiting

mrseven70
November 26, 2008, 02:45 PM
I've just hit my 7 month mark waiting for a MK12 upper from DPMS. I could have bought the parts and built one by now. Anyone else having problems getting stuff from them?

zxclem
November 27, 2008, 09:24 PM
Ordered a LR-204 in Jan/08. Got it in Aug! In July I had to send the upper back because it shot so poorly. I'm still waiting for a replacement! Worst customer service I have ever experienced with any product.

Redneck_Riot
November 27, 2008, 10:31 PM
DPMS products are all top notch, their customer service is very good, I have heard however that they have been innundated with requests and sales from both military and civilian sales Patience here is worth the wait.

DPMS statrted out manufacturing for military contracts exclusively and have within the last 2-3 years started focussing on civilian sales.

I have many of their rifles and have been more than pleased with overall quality and customer service.

all my AR's from DPMS shoot 1 moa or better out of the box ammo depending.

I believe the Obama scare has most manufacturers in a state of frenzy semi auto rifle sales have risen 85% in the last 3 months its like Y2K all over again!

I am sure after the next 6 months things will get back to normal.

zxclem
November 28, 2008, 01:15 AM
I hear what your saying.
But look at it from my side.
I paid $1000 for a rifle that I waited 7 mths for. Shot very poorly at 100yds, and I tried every brand and bullet wieght I could get my hands on. Had my gunsmith install a Jewel trigger ($250). Didn't help. Took off my trusty Bushnell scope that had always served me well and installed a Nightforce ($1800). Still couldnt hit the broad side of a barn, from inside! The fellow I talked to at DPMS said they had a "few" issues with some .204 uppers and to send it back and they would replace it. So here I am almost a year later, $3000 invested (not including about $200 of ammo I wasted), and all I have is an AR lower with a really nice trigger to LOOK at.
I've always heard good things about DPMS which is why I bought one. But in my case, I am very disapointed.

DonR101395
November 28, 2008, 01:32 AM
DPMS products are all top notch, their customer service is very good, I have heard however that they have been innundated with requests and sales from both military and civilian sales Patience here is worth the wait.

DPMS statrted out manufacturing for military contracts exclusively and have within the last 2-3 years started focussing on civilian sales.

I have many of their rifles and have been more than pleased with overall quality and customer service.

all my AR's from DPMS shoot 1 moa or better out of the box ammo depending.

I believe the Obama scare has most manufacturers in a state of frenzy semi auto rifle sales have risen 85% in the last 3 months its like Y2K all over again!

I am sure after the next 6 months things will get back to normal

That is partially correct Randy Luth started out consulting companies on how to obtain government contracts while working for a machine shop that produced parts for government contracts. DPMS doesn't have a U.S. military contract for the AR15/M16 platform and hasn't had one.
DPMS QC is horrible and many if not most of their parts are out of spec.
There use to be a running joke that DPMS stands for Doesn't Pass Military Specifications.
Last December while completing an armorers course we took some DPMS guns apart that were issued to a NC department and they couldn't get them to run correctly. The things were junk. Sear holes drilled out of alignment, I've seen better pot metal in a 1970's horn ornament than the LPK's were made from. I wouldn't order let alone wait for one of their products.

Just my $.02 YMMV:)

That said, their .308 rifles seem to be better for some reason. Wish they could do it with their small caliber rifles.

ac700wildcat
November 28, 2008, 05:39 PM
Last I heard from my local gun shop was that DPMS was behind 33,000 guns. Nope, thats not a typo, 33,000. That was a month ago.

Stoner-15
November 28, 2008, 05:54 PM
I have an m4 model with the a1 sights and i am very pleased. Now that they have contracts with the military they are more busy with that instead of the cavilian purchases. about the gun shooting so poorly i have no clue about that everyone my families owned has been top notch. I think you might have had some bad luck with that. But heres some ideas try out this website http://www.BlackthorneProducts.com this company sells complete uppers with wilson barrels.

gobm667
November 28, 2008, 08:09 PM
i ordered there lr308 waited 6 months and opted to cancel my order and go with a armalite ar10.. same problem

MrNiceGuy
November 28, 2008, 08:21 PM
i've had nothing but great luck with dpms ar's

now colt.... that's a different story.... i've had nothing but problems with that overpriced junk

and all I have is an AR lower with a really nice trigger to LOOK at.
..... and an $1800 scope

really?

you're mad at dpms because you went out and bought a scope that was almost twice as expensive as the rifle itself, and it didnt make you any more accurate?

really?

dont tell me you sent the scope back with the upper......

Redneck_Riot
November 28, 2008, 08:46 PM
zxclem, you have been treated very poorly by DPMS, I think your frustration is warranted considering the contents of your last posting.

my 2 cents:

-find a DPMS distributor in your area tell the customer service your story and see what can be done for you.

A distributor will be able to cut through alot of the red tape standing in your way and just may be able to expedite a replacement.

I do not know if you purchased this rifle from a FFL or a private second hand source, but if you infact did purchase from a FFL dealer, that dealer will most likely have ordered your rifle from a Distributor, such as RSR Group etc. most distibutors have a iron clad guarantee on all of the firearms they sell.

DPMS has a iron clad warranty dont give up until you get an answer

go to your FFL and ask what they can do for you, it is their job to ensure that you have payed for a quality product.

Good luck friend and let us know what you find out.

RICKSR
December 9, 2008, 11:05 AM
I have used most if not all brands,makes,models etc. at one time or another. For my hard earned money i go with Rock River hands down. They are on top of there game as far as Quality out of the box and reliability. As for delivery they are way backed up especially now that the democrats are in power. [I]f you want the best go with Rock River.

zxclem
December 10, 2008, 09:40 PM
I'm not "mad" at DPMS because I bought a scope.
Waiting almost a year for a functioning rifle leaves me... ah... wanting to vent a little?
With the current AR craze going on I know all the mfg's are having trouble keeping up with demand. I'm sure I could just as easily have had similer problems with any other company at this time.
That said, I got my upper back 2 days ago. As soon as weather permits, I'm check it out.
But crap! Now I have to buy another scope!
They didn't send my Nightforce back! ;)

mon10
December 18, 2008, 09:02 AM
I Have Been Dealing With Dpms A Lot And Very Very Bad Product My Biggest Problem Is I'm Always Running Out Of Ammo Every Time I Shoot The Rifles And I Can't Break It.