PDA

View Full Version : 00 Buckshot & Barrel Length?

Blair
November 25, 2008, 08:17 PM
20" barrel vs. 28" barrel?

When shooting 3" 00 bk at ranges of 25 yds to 50 yds, is there a difference between the two barrel lengths?

Pattern groups?

Shot strings?

Velocity?

Does the powder burn completely in the shorter barrel?

In other words, will the shorter barrel do everything that the longer barrel will do at these distances?

Please, no debates about the handling of shorter vs longer, just facts about the performance of them.

Thanks for putting up with all my questions.

oneounceload
November 25, 2008, 08:20 PM
18 to 20 inch barrel will burn the powder completely - all you need for HD/SD

for longer distances, (I'm assuming hunting), a longer barrel will give you a better sight radius

armsmaster270
November 25, 2008, 08:25 PM
Assuming the chokes are the same the longer barrel will give you a little tighter pattern and a bunch more range and velocity. Pattern depends on choke and individual barrels but at 50 yards it will be pretty open with the imp cyl bore

oneounceload
November 25, 2008, 08:35 PM
barrel length has nothing to do with choke - constriction is everything for choke....cylinder through extra-full will determine distances that will work

Blair
November 25, 2008, 08:39 PM
What I'm looking at is a Rem 870 Express model with screw in choke system. It will be equipped with a Patternmaster choke.

My choice is the 21" Turkey model vs the standard model with a 28" barrel.

Scattergun Bob
November 25, 2008, 08:50 PM
Hi Blair,

My honest answer is I don't know, from what you said in previous threads I figure you will come back and TELL US which shoots tighter.

Couple of things.

Remember standard patternmaster chokes are shot cup regulating and have no restriction.

I THINK there will be little difference in patten size between the 2 barrels.

I THINK to fit your niche of extending the range of buckshot, you need every bit of energy available and maybe the longer barrel will wring out a couple of ft more muzzle VE.

Look forward to hearing your results.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Bob

Blair
November 25, 2008, 08:56 PM
It will probably be after the beginning of the year before I can do any serious testing. It should be interesting though and I'll try not to have too much fun.:D

I plan on testing with the full choke and also with the Patternmaster at the extended ranges.