PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870, can I use off the shelf?

diamondj100
November 25, 2008, 10:42 AM
Went out last week with a friend, borrowed a gun, and got my first doe. I didn't think hunting would be my thing, but I really enjoyed it, and didn't mind gutting (a bit rank), skinning, or processing the deer. Had my first venison pot roast last night and it was delicious. Anyway....
I went out and bought the a remington 870 super mag combo and was planning on going out in the next couple days, but don't know if they are sighted in when you purchase them. I don't want to take a chance and wing a deer because I didn't site the gun in before hunting.
Does anyone know if the gun (purchased new) is sighted correctly when leaving the store?
Thanks!

Dr. Strangelove
November 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'd be hesitant to go hunting with a gun I had never fired. I have done it a few times borrowing friends guns when an unexpected opportunity to hunt arose, but those were already sighted in. Even then, the gun is not sighted for you, you may hold it slightly different etc.

I'd sight it in/pattern it before I went hunting.

By the way, congratulations on your deer. I'm glad you are hunting, we need more new hunters. Bring some friends!

kraigwy
November 25, 2008, 10:55 AM
I wouldn't take any gun hunting, including a slug barrel with seeing where its shoots first, might be right on, might not be.

Surely you can find a spot where you can pop a few rounds before you go hunting with it.

Having said that, I killed my first deer when I was about 8, using a single barreled 16 gage that belonged to my Grandfather. Somebody, years a go stuck it in the mud and split the muzzle, then sawed it off just behind the front bead. I was using buch shot and at the time I doubt I would know what to do with sights if I'd had them. That gun (which I still have) wouldnt eject shells and I had to pry the hulls out with a knife. Took three shots and I thought it was gonna get me. Good thing it didnt take 4, I only had a quarter that I spent buying the three shells.

300magman
November 25, 2008, 01:12 PM
kraigwy I think you just dated yourself:p 5 Loads of buckshot go for 8.99 at the hardware store across the street. I remember seeing a box in my grandfathers gunrack with 3.99 marked on them (they were about 20 years old) so if you got 3 for a quarter that makes you about.........

diamondj100
November 25, 2008, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the info, there is a state park not too far away with a range. I will site in the gun a little later today. I appreciate the feedback. Happy hunting!

oneounceload
November 25, 2008, 01:52 PM
you should thoroughly CLEAN the gun BEFORE you go shooting to get any packing grease, etc., out of the gun....THEN go sight it in before hunting

hogdogs
November 25, 2008, 01:58 PM
I remember buying .410 shells for under 3 dollars but had I had a 12 gauge I could have bought a box for about 2.25 max and that was at the feed store. 1984 or so... Them were real full power shells.
Brent

ebutler462
November 25, 2008, 02:16 PM
When I was a young-un, in the 1940s, we went down to the corner grocery store and bought gun shells for a nickel apiece, any gauge. There was no age restrictions then. In fact, I bought my first gun at the Western Auto when I was in my early teens. From then until 1968, all you needed was the money and you could buy guns or ammo as easy as buying a pair of shoes.

Back to the subject, in 1998, I bought a SKS from a dealer who told me that it was used. It costed $68.00. I didn't clean it because, hey it is a used gun!! When I shot the first round, it sprayed cosmoline all over my face. It was used. By the Yugoslavian army and packed away for sale as surplus and packed with cosmoline. It took me several hous to get that sticky mess out of the action and my hair.

I do agree with you guys that before the first shot is fired, a good cleaning is in order.

rem870hunter
November 25, 2008, 04:32 PM
i don't think they sight it in before it leaves the factory or store.
if they did thats a new bit of info to me.
a brand new in box smoothbore barrel with sights i bought was not. it took 15-20 shots to sight in at 50 yards. as far as patterning for buckshot with the vent rib barrel. that took a bit more. definetly give it a thorough cleaning before going to the range and firing it. my shotgun was slightly used before i bought it, but i doubt it even saw any hunting action,before i got it.

there is only 2 stores around here that sell ammo that aren't sporting goods stores. and i would'nt buy there unless i really.really had to. 7.50 for a box of 12 ga 2 3/4" sluggers or buckshot 00 buck only :barf:. i can go to deptford and buy slugs for 4.99 or buckshot for 3.98 a box.:D.