PDA

View Full Version : mossberg 930 blown barell

summerman
November 24, 2008, 12:48 PM
I was hunting with my friend yesterday and he shot a deer and his 930 mossberg auto shotgun barrell blew up. He was shooting sabots and the end of the barell exploded and blew off. It was shreded on the end with one 2-3 inch piece turned up and the rest was jagged steel. He will be contacting Mossberg....

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 12:52 PM
was it a rifled barrel? if not what choke tube was in it? Any chance there was an obstruction?
Brent

Warthog
November 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
For the end of a barrel to blow like that most often indicates some type of obstruction or poorly mated choke. There just isn't a natural build up of pressure at the end of the barrel -- unless the projectile stops moving.

summerman
November 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
It was a rifled barell, it had ports on it. He was shooting the sbots with the green plastic cone on the end. 385 grains at 1800fps? I'll get the facts exactly and hope to post a picture. Anyone else have a blow out? We're pretty sure there was nothing in the barell. He shot twice and notice the second shot sounded different. He's not sure if it blew on the second shot but the first shot he hit the deer on mark. It will be interesting to see how Mossberg deals with this.

Perajio
November 25, 2008, 09:04 AM
He's lucky to be alive.........

hogdogs
November 25, 2008, 09:24 AM
One possibility....
First shot had obstruction... Barrel bulged but did knock out the obstruction... second round cocked sideways and hung?

Another possibility, Is he 100% positive the first shot hit the deer? If so why need a second? Possibly the first was a squib failing to exit and the second shot blew the barrel and sent the first or second projectile hit the deer?
Brent

Ghost22
November 25, 2008, 06:55 PM
It might be a case of the sabot staying in the barrel on the first shot. This would be especially true if he had a under charged shell. This would also account for the dead deer if the first round hit. Of course, an undercharged shell may not cycle the action. To those who shoot sabots, does the plastic build up on the rifling like it does on a choke tube, say after 50 rounds? A hot load like the Remington AccuTip @ 1850 fps would exaggerate this if it occurs, and the buildup could help “stick” the sabot. I ask others because I don’t shoot sabots though my shotguns (all smoothbores).

Another more conventional alternative, if he moved after the first shot (i.e. following the deer), is he accidently plugged the barrel with dirt or other debris. I had my brother plug his rifle barrel twice while hunting many years back (he put the gun up and we cleaned it before any damage occurred). This would caused the ruptured barrel and again killed the deer if the first round hit. Whatever the cause, glad to hear he’s ok.

Brian Pfleuger
November 25, 2008, 08:59 PM
A hot load like the Remington AccuTip @ 1850 fps would exaggerate this if it occurs, and the buildup could help “stick” the sabot. I ask others because I don’t shoot sabots though my shotguns (all smoothbores).

I shoot Rem Core-Lokt Ultras (1900fps, 385gr). I don't see any plastic fouling in the barrel at all, though I've never fired more than 10-15 rounds between cleaning.

There was clearly an obstruction of some sort. I can't imagine how it could be ammo related unless it's some kind of freak thing like the sabot got stuck on a jagged edge of the port or some weird thing like that.

ultraclassic2008
November 27, 2008, 12:13 AM

zippy13
November 27, 2008, 01:29 AM
I tend to concur with Ghost22's theory.

I wasn't surprised to hear the damage didn't happen with the first shot. This points to the absence of an external obstruction (mud, etc). Were these OE or re-loaded shells? I've seen several similar, but less spectacular, situations on the target range. Light loads (OE, or re-loaded) are sufficient to break the target while leaving the wad in the choke area of the barrel. The second shot, in the obstructed barrel, damages the barrel. The shooter thought the first load sounded a little funny, but since it broke the target, it must have been okay.

With a reduced load, consider the possibility that, at the ports where the pressure abruptly drops, the slug's inertia continues it on its way; however, the low inertia sabot fails to clear the barrel. If a .410 target load can significantly bulge a heavy .410 barrel when there's a wad obstruction, imagine what a high energy slug round might do when a sabot obstructs a big bore.

olddrum1
November 27, 2008, 02:32 AM
I would think the wad idea is a choice but I have had choke tubes banna peal away from the threads also. Both times I have been very lucky to actually see parts of the tube come out of the end of the barrel. One the front half of the tube separated and the second time a quarter inch strip the full length of the tube came out. I did not shoot a second shell out so there was not any damage other than to the choke tube. Really like to see pictures.