PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Police Barrel

crawdad185
November 24, 2008, 12:28 PM
I was looking at a 18.5" Remington 870 Police barrel on Gunbroker and was think about placing a bid, but I noticed the seller mentioned something about this being a "detent" barrel. I'm not familiar with this and was wondering if someone out there could educate me on this detent thing. Will it fit my standard 870 Wingmaster without me having to modify my gun in any way? Thanks for your help.

Scattergun Bob
November 24, 2008, 01:07 PM
The spring and ball detent is how the mag cap or mag extension is retained in place. All 870 police barrels have this and all older wingmasters have this. The Express uses a plastic ratchet system to retain the mag cap.

So, in order for me to help, I need to know what flavor of 870 you got!:)

Good Luck & Be Safe

crawdad185
November 24, 2008, 02:39 PM
I've got an old (1966) 870 Wingmaster. I thought the ad was talking about something new. My shotgun does have the detents in the cap I think. I've never really paid much attention to it.

Scattergun Bob
November 24, 2008, 05:27 PM
A 870 police barrel should work just fine on the vintage of Remington. Most police barrels are bored for 2 3/4" and 3" shells remember that even though your new barrel may be marked 3" unless your receiver has a M in the serial # it WON'T work for the extra length. Remington added a 3" receiver to their line of 870's in 1955.

If you are planing to use this as a defensive fighting shotgun, make sure that your extractor and ejector are still in good shape and that your mag spring is good and stiff. You might also look into a flex tab change out for the shell carrier.

Good Luck & Be Safe

BigJimP
November 24, 2008, 05:46 PM
Bob,

What really impresses me about your notes / comments - is I know you didn't have to look any of it up .... I'm amazed .... I forget what I had for breakfast ...

crawdad185
November 24, 2008, 05:48 PM
What is a flex tab?

Scattergun Bob
November 24, 2008, 06:07 PM
The Flex tab system was a factory correction for a double feed. It allows you to work the action and eject the rounds. It is a replacement bolt, slide and carrier. If your life depends on this gun, I would do the change, if not it really is not worth the money. It is easy to know if your 870 has it by the "U"
shaped notch on the bottom of the carrier. Unless some one has upgraded your gun it is too early of a manufacture to have this correction.

Bob

Scattergun Bob
November 24, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yes I did, I had to crack open my armorers manual for the "M" series start date, I have a hard time with dates.;)

My Best to you, Bob

BigJimP
November 24, 2008, 06:20 PM
Ok Bob

I feel a little better now ...... not much, but a little / your knowledge of
" Fighting ShotGuns " is impressive ( but I saw that comment earlier today about shooting skeet with a 24" barrel too ....that's a pretty shaky position on that one ...) but I didn't pick on you for it ...:D

Scattergun Bob
November 24, 2008, 06:47 PM
I was just so excited that I powdered 11 and chipped and dinged my way into a 19, my first time back on a skeet field in 15 years. I even think I am going to KEEP the European stock on this old girl.:D

Bob

Sorry crawdad185 for kidnaping your thread, We'll stop now.

crawdad185
November 24, 2008, 07:09 PM
No sweat, appreciate your help.

crawdad185
November 24, 2008, 07:40 PM
BTW, can you tell me how/where I can get this modification (flex tab) done? Is this something I can buy and do myself or is it strictly something for a smith? Thanks.

Dfariswheel
November 24, 2008, 08:30 PM
You can buy a Flex-Tab conversion kit direct from Remington.
Be warned, it's expensive, because it includes a new bolt and the parts for the trigger group.

Most anyone with normal skills can install the kit, but take note that you do have to break a riveted part and re-rivet the new part.
No big job, but it can be botched up.

Also note, that this type of jam is a USER induced stoppage.
The user fails to fully push a round into the magazine until it is held, and the shell gets pushed right back out and between the bolt and the shell lifter.

The old non-Flex-tab guns can be cleared by bumping the butt on the ground as you pull hard on the pump handle to force the action open.
The Flex-tab allows clearing by just pulling hard on the pump handle.

One cheaper fix instead of the Flex-tab conversion: Just practice loading until you don't mess up and fail to properly insert the shells into the magazine.

Scattergun Bob
November 25, 2008, 08:00 PM
driving the toe of the stock HARD on the ground as you slam back the forend will clear this stoppage PROVIDED that you engage the action bar release while you execute this maneuver. Otherwise it may accomplish nothing!:cool:

PS this malufunction can be caused by worn rims or dinged rims in addition to operator error.

Good Luck & Be Safe