PDA

View Full Version : Different types of shot

mberman09
November 23, 2008, 08:54 PM
So for shotgun shells, what are the different purposes of the different kinds of shots, and which are better for different kinds of things. So there is Lead, steel, non-toxic and turkey, in which cases would I use one over the other?

Dave McC
November 23, 2008, 10:18 PM
Mine the archives, there's oodles of info.

rem870hunter
November 24, 2008, 04:50 AM
are you asking when should i use lead and what size? when should i use steel/non-toxic and what size? what turkey load should i use?

i'm still testing loads and chokes, having said that what works for me may not work for you. so far 12 ga. federal high brass game shok 1 1/4 oz. and federal low brass 1 oz. 7.5 lead shot works well at 40 yards using a full rem choke. 870 express w/28" vent rib barrel.

troy_mclure
November 24, 2008, 06:10 AM
dont forget about flechettes, airfoil, disk, beanbag, plastic pellets, rubber darts, bird bombs, flares, shaped charges, slugs, lead dust, pepper, glue, wire.

theres literally millions of variations of things you can shoot from a shot gun!

mberman09
November 24, 2008, 10:58 AM
wow I didn't know you could shoot all that from a shotgun!

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 11:03 AM
The shotgun is basically a highly portable cannon. The modern one we all know has a cartridge so it can be quickly loaded but the originals were muzzle loaded as were cannons and you could literally drop what you got down the barrel on top of the powder and wad and cover that with a wad so it wouldn't fall out if barrel is pointed down. Lead shot was ideal but in times of severe need, nails, chunks of rocks etc. were used to "GIT 'ER DONE!"...:D
Brent

johnwilliamson062
November 24, 2008, 12:03 PM
pennies, nails, rocks, toothpicks... If it will fit down the barrel you can load an ounce of it in a shotgun. I am not saying you won't damage your gun or your persons, but it will generally come out the other end, and at some point someone somewhere has probably tried it before.

mberman09
November 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
This is beginning to sound dangerous...

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
These are all things that have been tried and previously stated some damaged guns and persons... As for commercially available loads, I would never go beyond round lead ball or lead slug.
Brent

johnwilliamson062
November 24, 2008, 01:13 PM
I bought a pound of fletchettes a while back.
Have not shown up yet.

rem870hunter
November 24, 2008, 06:08 PM
you guys forgot about tear gas,flower petals,fiberglass batting,cologne ampules,chain shot. apds (armor piercing discarding sabot) rounds available in 10 gauge and larger.

johnwilliamson062
November 24, 2008, 06:21 PM
is there a place you can buy chainshot?

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 06:33 PM
John, you can easily make it! Buy the ball chain like for ceiling fan switches and melt/solder a 1/4 ounce split shot on the ends...:eek: About 6 inches of chain would be max....??? rednecks are a wondrous beast!:D Broken side window automotive glass works too:o
Brent

mberman09
November 24, 2008, 07:23 PM
Would it be possible to produce a shotgun shell with ice or dry ice and have it actually work?

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ice/Dry ice has an inherent fault... it melts... wet powder is never like dry.
Also if it was plausible the condensation and following rust would make it a failure I reckon.
But a buddy of mine made "slugs" from hot glue and they fired albeit not accurately enough to consider them less than lethal rounds unless missing counts but they were just cylinders, not front heavy hollow butted like a lead slug.
Brent

nutty ned
November 24, 2008, 08:28 PM
go here, it is good
http://www.remington.com/library/resources/hunting_suggestions/

rem870hunter
November 24, 2008, 09:09 PM
broken side window auto glass, load that into a shotshell? what kind of pattern would that give you? how about #4 buck and #2 or #1 steel shot mix?

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 09:27 PM
Since the thread meandered into the realm of what has/could be loaded into a shot shell...:o The pattern of the broken glass would be inconsistent a wee bit for dove hunting but with all the "I am so afwaid to ova penetwate my walls..." threads... heck window glass may be just the thing for home defense...:rolleyes:
Brent

rem870hunter
November 24, 2008, 09:35 PM
i see.

vanceman
November 24, 2008, 09:46 PM
From "Ammunition to Go" website, They sell a "flamethrower" 2 3/4 round
for 12 gauge; it shoots "hot titanium flakes for 100 feet." The flakes get to 3000 degrees Fahrenheit. The website has an extensive list of specialty 12 gauge rounds.

troy_mclure
November 24, 2008, 10:22 PM
shotgun news usualy has an impressive list of "special" shoty shells.
i forgot glass beads.
and i read somewhere about using 1/16" steel tubes filled with cyanide/strichnine sealed with wax.

mberman09
November 24, 2008, 11:11 PM
What abound rock salt, you know they pulled it off in kill bill II.

hogdogs
November 24, 2008, 11:37 PM
I have had a back side full of rock salt and it did burn and hurt but was very superficial. Only a couple of the biggest pieces stayed under the skin and many left a welt but no salt burn. i was but a little 10-12 year old so at my age now it would really just tick me off but good!
The salt just doesn't have the weight to carry and penetrate. A high power paintball gun is much more aggressive (minus the boom) than most less than lethal loads... Me and junior have had some paintball wars and we never wore "gear" he also put his paintballs in the freezer until I learned that trick... I know a paintball to the cheek bone, elbow (funny bone), top of the bare foot, sternum, and armpit will 'bout suck the breath right out of you... But a lip shot will flat blind you with uncontrolled tears in the eyes...:rolleyes:
Brent

johnwilliamson062
November 24, 2008, 11:56 PM
Load anything you want into your shotgun and try it, but don't play paintball without a proper mask. I also recommend jean shorts.

hogdogs
November 25, 2008, 12:15 AM
John, we usually had our battles in mid summer so we were not up for pants or shirts... Dangerous? Yes! Fun? As heck! Lucky for both of us we never suffered a severe injury. BTW... Junior was lethal with that double tap trigger flicking thing too!:eek:
Brent

mberman09
November 25, 2008, 11:05 AM
Not even a mask? That sound really dangerous, I mean I'm all for putting crazy things in shotguns and seeing what happens once I pull the trigger, but you should never play paintball without the proper protection... or shoot any sort of gun without protection, you respect the gun and you won't get hurt.

hogdogs
November 25, 2008, 12:41 PM
I hear real amn paintball in spandex without a "cup"... You learn to avoid the hit more and you sure do respect them .60 cal balls...
Stolen from and modified to suit...
"THIS IS A .60 CAL PAINTBALL GUN... IT MAKES A DISTINCT SOUND WHEN FIRED AT YOU..."
Brent