PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 390 24"

DataMax
November 17, 2008, 12:50 PM
This weekend while at a gun show near KC i came across a NIB Beretta 390 Silver Mallard 12ga with a 24" barrel for $450. Needless to say that without even thinking about it, I bought it. Now ... I have been shooting for over 30 years, and have always shot a 28". Not really sure why, things just seemed to work out that way. Winchester, Ithaca, Remington ... all 28" tubes.

This is my first Beretta ... I am hoping that I did good. As to the 24" barrel, I it swings really nice, I think it will be great for dove and quail ... but what else? Ducks over decoys? So what exactly is a 24" barrel good for?

And what about the 390 in general ... keep it, shoot it, or sell it?

Thanks,
mark

45Dave
November 17, 2008, 02:33 PM
The 390 is a great gun, works well in cold nasty weather just do not over oil it.
24 inch barrel, well it will swing fast but if you have any bad habbits like stopping swinging, it sure will let you know. I would love that set up for rabbit hunting in heavy brush or snap shooting ducks puddle jumping. I would have to say try it and see how you like it.

BigJimP
November 17, 2008, 03:27 PM
Transitioning from a 28" to a 24" barrel is probably going to be very difficult / or at least I would find it very difficult.

But you obviously liked the gun or you wouldn't have bought it. What is a 24" barrel good for ( very little in my hands, because I would yank it up, down and around in circles probably because its so light / and has such a short sight plane - and it would just frustrate me ... but that's me). As a 24" barrel it may have been marketed or ordered for a young shooter ( especially if it has a shorter than normal length of pull ).

Balistically, it should perform virtually the same as a 28" barrel. Confidence with a shotgun is a big thing - but if you don't have any trouble yanking your swing short on follow thru with it - it should be fine for you. a 24" barrel will give anyone standing next to you in a blind, a lot more muzzle blast than a 28" barrel, so beware of that. The 390 is a proven platform / it shouldn't cause you any problem.