PDA

View Full Version : Loose Wedge Pin

mthom1957
November 16, 2008, 10:21 PM
I am refinishing an old CVA 50 cal. kit gun for a buddy and find that the wedge pin in this gun fits so loosely that it will fall out without much prompting. Does anyone have any ideas on how I might best remedy this problem?
Thanks,
Mthom

Hawg
November 17, 2008, 05:13 AM
Take the barrel off and the slot under the barrel where the wedge goes through take a hammer and bend it in slightly, very slightly. It won't take much. Dont try fitting the wedge with the barrel off as the wedge will still fit loosely until the barrel is installed in the stock.

mykeal
November 17, 2008, 08:09 AM
Hawg has the answer, but here's a slight variation: Use a 1" water pipe close nipple between the hammer and the lug. You get a little more controlled deformation of the lug, less tendency to overdo it. It'll take more hammer blows and take longer but when you reach the point where the wedge fits tightly it'll be just enough and not be overdone.

hillbille
November 17, 2008, 03:20 PM
I used to fold up a piece of paper and place it between the stock and barrell, it will tighted the pin up, or allways did for me.

Fingers McGee
November 18, 2008, 12:16 AM
Or, you could bend the wedge slightly and install it with the bend down. Tightens the barrel into the stock that way.

Raider2000
November 18, 2008, 05:44 AM
All of these are great suggestions & I've done a couple myself from time to time, but to add for each of the previous replies.

Have a little patience when you do this either tapping on the Barrel Staple or the Key, or adding cloth patches between the stock & barrel will give great dividends in the long run.

As in Tap a little & test fit, a little more & test fit till you get the right fit, the same with the patch between the barrel & stock, try a piece & test fit, maybe move it or add another & try again.

Ironwood
November 18, 2008, 01:54 PM
I do like Fingers. Just a very slight bend can do wonders.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v68/Ironwood/For%20BB%20Posting/BentWedgePin.jpg

mthom1957
November 19, 2008, 09:34 PM
Thanks fellas for all of the great advice.