PDA

View Full Version : best loose powder???

jaymag
November 16, 2008, 01:12 PM
I just bought a knight rolling block gun and im switching over to loose powder from pellets.I had some pellets that didn't fire and the crony graph test show better f.p.s. in loose powder.What is the hottest most realiable powder out right now??

mykeal
November 16, 2008, 01:47 PM
The 'hottest' loose powder, in terms of peak pressure, is 777. Reliability is very good as long as you do not over compress it. Too much compression will result in FTF's. It should be compressed only as much as is necessary to ensure the projectile is fully seated on the powder column, no more.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
November 16, 2008, 01:56 PM
If your wanting to use real Blackpowder, Swiss is the hottest.

simonkenton
November 16, 2008, 04:10 PM
Check out these reviews of Blackhorn 209.
If I weren't going to use black powder, I would use Blackhorn 209.

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,139792.30.html

Pahoo
November 16, 2008, 07:29 PM
Questions like this often opens up a can of worms and replies will be all over the place. I have gone full circle from loose to pellets and now back to loose and loose is where I mostly will stay. Excluding BP and Pyrodex, I have shot most of the replacement propellants. I was also asked to evaluate American Pioneer and some that are no longer made. I have not had the pleasure of testing any Black-Horn so will have to exclude it as well. I would go with 777 and you will notice a bigger bang for your buck with this powder. Just my opinion !!! ;)

Be Safe !!!

drdirk
November 16, 2008, 08:40 PM
+1 on Swiss. Most consistent and best power in my opinion.

mthom1957
November 16, 2008, 09:25 PM
I have shot Pyrodex,777,Goex,American Pioneer,and Black Mag3. The cleanest by far and as powerful as anything out there is Black Mag3. I have not tried Black Horn but I would have to give the edge to BM3for two reasons, one: It is more versatile meaning you can use it in anything from flintlocks to inlines to pistols and anything in between. two: It has a much lower ignition point where as Black Horn can only be used in inlines and even then you must use the hottest 209 primers and some breech plug designs don't ignite this powder well.On the down side BM3 currently can only be had by ordering directly from MDM Muzzle loaders.

darkgael
November 17, 2008, 08:17 AM
Like the Swiss.

Pete

hillbille
November 17, 2008, 03:19 PM
I just use fff black powder in all my rifles and pistols. a few pounds pressure one way or another don't matter much to me. and I don't try to load extra hot magnum loads, 75 grains behind a round ball will kill a deer just as dead as 150 grains behind some fancy sabbot, if hit properly.

long rider
November 17, 2008, 06:06 PM
Way da go hillbille you tell em.
Mysellf i like swiss & goex.:cool::D

simonkenton
November 17, 2008, 07:27 PM
hillbille you are so right.
If you looked at ballistics charts, you would never hunt with a round ball.
But, out in the woods, a .490 round ball on top of 80 grains of Goex is an unbelievable effective deer killer. Works good on wild hogs too.
The deer are too stupid to read the balllistic charts.

freedom475
November 19, 2008, 10:40 AM
Go for the 3ffg Real Black Powder!!!
You will never go back to that fake crap again. Swiss is probly the best but Graph's and Goex are great powders at a fair price.

Arquebus
November 19, 2008, 12:35 PM
The problem is, in most parts of the country, unless you want to mail order it black powder isn't readilly available. Whether that is due to demand or local ordinances depends on where you live. Here in the Seattle area real BP is almost impossible to find. I go through quite a bit, so I buy it by the case (25lbs). It works out a lot cheaper that way, too. I bought my last case from Powderinc.com & was pleased with the price & service. They sell Goex, Swiss, & other brands. They will sell in smaller quantities, but the price per pound will go up a bit, if you can try & split a case with a couple of friends if a case would be too much for you.

karwelis
November 19, 2008, 01:41 PM
lol,,,,,,,, make my own BP! its pretty hot!

karwelis

Cosmoline
November 19, 2008, 02:53 PM
The real thing is the only way to go. I've heard Swiss is better than Goex, but the main thing is to use actual black powder. Out of a horn.

jaguarxk120
November 19, 2008, 07:52 PM
Use the real stuff. The Swiss, Geox, and I've been getting Schuetzen lately.
TF

long rider
November 19, 2008, 07:55 PM
SCHUETZEN, i got me some of that, good powder.:cool:

jaguarxk120
November 19, 2008, 08:03 PM
Yah only one shop in my area carries it. All the big retailers wont carry black anymore. So when I'm in the area I'll pickup a pound, I think black powder has a longer shelf life than smokeless. I have a pound container of Curtiss and Harvey, and every so often (no too often) I'll use a little bit, shoots just like when I bought it over 30 years ago.
Tom F.

kwhi43@kc.rr.com
November 19, 2008, 08:28 PM
Here's the cheapest place for powder
http://www.jackspowderkeg.com/

4V50 Gary
November 20, 2008, 09:10 AM
Wow. Jack's prices are the best.:D

karwelis
November 20, 2008, 12:00 PM
you know, its not hard to make, and heres the good bit, it ends up only costing $1.50-$2.00 a pound

long rider
November 28, 2008, 05:19 PM
HEY karwelis.
( its not hard to make?) ok let us in on the deal:rolleyes:
I would be intressed in makeing some myself, as long it dosent
intail blowing up my house, my wife would be a little:mad:.
Post some details thanks.:D

freedom475
November 28, 2008, 09:15 PM
Me too karwelis.........I have been at about $4-5$ a pound making my own.

Please share your links to THE place to buy your Chems. Thanks.

Stoner-15
November 28, 2008, 11:27 PM
Plz post or pm me on how to make black powder I am very intrested.

Stoner-15
November 28, 2008, 11:28 PM
Here is a websit that has swiss powder Http://www.buffaloarms.com. Check it out

arcticap
November 29, 2008, 03:34 AM
This shows how to make charcoal for black powder:

http://cid-ba8d17d301aebc5c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/MAKING%20CHARCOAL%20for%20BP.pdf

This shows how to make homemade black powder:

http://cid-ba8d17d301aebc5c.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/Public/HomeMade%20BlackPowder.pdf

On Monday, 11/24/08, I bought the last pound of American Pioneer Powder fffg at my local Cabela's for $13.66 plus tax, plus I saved an additional $2.70 by using a store discount coupon. That was cheapest price that I ever bought it for, even before using the coupon.
I was also surprised to see that the APP ffg cost $16+ dollars at Cabela's compared to the APP fffg. It's been selling for $18 - $20 at the gunshows around here. :)

darkgael
November 29, 2008, 05:52 AM
Checked the Making BP link. It IS informative. It is NOT black powder as it can be purchased commercially. It is commonly called Brown or Green powder. It will work but is not nearly as efficient as commercial BP.
The biggest difference comes in the way that the powder mix is combined and corned. There is a detailed description of the process at the beginning of one (can't remember which) of the BP load manuals. The process of milling is done with a ball mill over a lengthy period. This is followed by another lengthy period of combination or incorporation lasting many hours and involving considerable pressure, See this link: http://books.google.com/books?id=YkcvshsGhagC&pg=PA2&lpg=PA2&dq=black+powder+manufacturing+process&source=web&ots=mEyM2czM5I&sig=42q-AdVcYSjYlSa2fP1A39Cs7jo&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=9&ct=result#PPA3,M1
Pte

shortwave
November 29, 2008, 06:28 AM
Went into Wally World the other day. Triple seven $28.57, Pyrodex $18.67. Thats crzy for both but I`m sure T7 doesn`t cost that much more to make than Pyrodex. The dreaded raping,greed of supply and demand:rolleyes:.Glad I have plenty. For all you newbies out there that have to pay this premium price cause you`re just starting out and don`t have any powder, make sure you go back to Wally World(or your supplier) after m/l season and stock up on same powder for $10-$12.

arcticap
November 29, 2008, 04:49 PM
Not too many Walmarts even carry BP guns & supplies around here anymore. Everyone just wishes they could always buy powder at Walmart's lowest clearance prices, but sometimes the prices only get reduced incrementally over a period of time and then everyone wants to stock up once the price bottoms out.
Well this Kansas outfit below sells Pyrodex for $12.20, 777 for $17.70 (listed under Hodgdon) and the new Blackhorn 209 for $25.98 (listed under Accurate Arms).
They also sell CCI percussion caps.
Cabela's sells Blackhorn 209 for over $36.

Hazemat fee is $20 per package but:

WE CAN COMBINE UP TO 48 LBS. OF POWDER AND PRIMERS UNDER ONE HAZMAT TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

TOLL FREE - 800.227.4299
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/index.html

long rider
November 29, 2008, 05:36 PM
I live in mesa in az, and i have not seen any wally world
that stock any muzzleloaders let alone powder, but then
again waltmart is the home of cheap goods.

karwelis
November 29, 2008, 09:00 PM
heres the link to my site where the pdf file is located on how to make black powder, and charcoal. i get the saltpeter and sulfer at the local CVS, and or riteaid

http://kabooom.proboards102.com/index.cgi?board=cowboyscorner

karwelis
November 29, 2008, 09:04 PM
hey arcticap, nice hijack of the pdf files that belong to cowboy cs. the proper link to them is in my above post

DKA
November 30, 2008, 07:10 AM
I use 777 FFFG, but friend of mine has been testing Black Horn 209. He says that it burns cleaner, but cost more, not much difference in performance.

darkgael
November 30, 2008, 08:46 AM
I'm impressed. That second pdf about homemade BP - using the ball mill - is much more thorough than the "green mix" pdf. He seems to know what he's doing - though the "big guys" mill the mix wet - and the end product, unglazed, looks pretty good to the eye.
I wonder how well (clean/dirty) it burns.
The procedures that I am familiar with are at: http://www.wfvisser.dds.nl/EN/bp_making_EN.html
Pete

shortwave
November 30, 2008, 08:49 AM
Thanks for Kansas connection Articap. For comparison sake on the W/World prices, went to local shooting range last night- T7, Shockey`s Gold and Goex @ $21+change, Pyrodex@$18+change. W/World cut way back on the stores carrying m/l and acces.`s here also but a few still do and its worth keeping an eye on.