PDA

View Full Version : Remington 870 Shotgun question

petefett22
November 16, 2008, 09:39 AM
I saw a Remington 870 8 shot security shotgun at Big 5 Sports yesterday for 299. Looked like too good of a deal so i went to look it up on Remingtons website. I cannot find this gun on their. The one on the website has different engravings on the forarm and stock and says it is only a 6+1. The Big 5 has a 3 shot extender on it making it 8. Can anyone tell me if the gun at Big 5 could be a knockoff or an older year? Everything says Remington on it and it is stamped 870 ont eh side? Did Remington ever make a cheaper gun made in China?

thx

AEConfidential
November 16, 2008, 10:28 AM
This is a good question...I've noticed a few versions of the tactical remington shotgun not listed on the remington website.

ecd1211
November 16, 2008, 11:06 AM
Seems like Remington makes different flavors of the 870 every year, so you might have one from a year or two ago. I purchased an 870 about 18 months ago, and its exact configuration does not show up on the Remington website anymore...

tomgun
November 16, 2008, 11:18 AM
ive purchased many a gun that didnt show up on the manf web site for months, call ther cs number to be sure, or the latest pdf
http://www.remington.com/pdfs/08cat/2008_Product_Catalog.pdf

petefett22
November 16, 2008, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the results. One thing I noticed was that it had an additional recoil pad in a bag that was maked made in taiwan. Do they just make their recoil pads in TW? I know US law says that all non usa made articles have to be stamped with country of origin so if it not on the gun its probably usa made.

zippy13
November 16, 2008, 11:52 AM
Is this it?... here's a link to Gilberts. (https://www.gilbertsguns.com/Shotguns/Remington/Remington+870+Tactical+12+20+8+Shot) (oops... link not longer active -- perhaps they sold out this model)

Not all of the Remington products are shown in their "regular" web site and catalog. Here's a link the shotgun page of their Law Enforcement and Federal Agencies (http://www.remingtonle.com/shotguns/shotguns.htm) web site.

upeasy
November 18, 2008, 07:18 AM
yes...they do make an 8 shot extender...and $299.00 is a good buy. The cheapest I've seen is $325.00, but normal pricing is $359.00 dollars

KMO
November 18, 2008, 07:27 AM
Could it be that Remington is offering a variation of the 870 exclusively through Big 5? I know Ruger has done something similar with its 10/22 through Wal-Mart.

zippy13
November 18, 2008, 09:48 AM
kmoffitt
Could it be that Remington is offering a variation of the 870 exclusively through Big 5?

It's very possible.
Check out Remington's special runs page link click here (http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/special_runs/).

ksmash01
November 22, 2008, 02:42 PM
It is a Remington. We get the 870 in 2 different configurations, in 12 gauge. One is the 5 shot 28" barrel with laminated stock and forend, the other is the 8 shot(7 in the tube one in the chamber) 20" barrel. We acutally advertise it at 329.99, normally retailing at 399.99.

I've never noticed the Taiwanese recoil pad, but I'll check a few out. I know it's not taiwanese, although, we do sell a Hawk model 982 that looks just like a Remington , except made in china.

Ryan870
December 1, 2008, 07:07 PM
Well i know exactly what you speak of, i bought that deal. $299.00 It's a special deal with Big 5 from Remington. So is that feature of the 8 shot. This version is the direct response to Mossburgs 8 shot defender that Big 5 also carries. It is made in the U.S. execpt that butt stock pad you mentioned. But over all - great gun - great deal - so much so i also picked up a 10/22 for only $210 w/ scope !!! :) I love "Black Fridays" and "Blue Saturdays".

Ryan870
December 1, 2008, 07:12 PM
I have several friends that have all come home from Iraq over the last few years and they keep recomending me to get the Benelli 1100 (i think) the 6 shot semi-auto. Here is my question, i love Benelli made arms, but would i ever need one? I don't hunt, it is target and home defense? Does anyone know if they make a clip or a shell extension maybe up to 8 shots?? Just curious, but the money makes me think twice. :)

BigJimP
December 1, 2008, 07:38 PM
Ryan 870

your buddies are talking about the Benelli M2 tactical - but you should start another thread and ask questions about the M2. One of the gun mags had a big write up on the M2 Tactical recently too and I think they're retailing in the $ 1,500 - $2,000 range now. The magazine was Guns & Ammo Dec issue - found it last nite.

I like the Benelli semi-autos / there is also an M-4 which is closer to what the Marine Corps was using 4 or 5 years ago / I don't know what's in the theatre these days - my son is out of the Corps now.

Ryan870
December 2, 2008, 06:21 PM
Ouch! Really? Wow, i will take a look for that issue. Thanks for the info.

BigJimP
December 2, 2008, 07:26 PM
Benelli gives you a lot of gun for the money - but they don't give them away either / plus the exchange rate on the US dollar vs Europe is not helping the situation either.