PDA

View Full Version : range of barrel with no choke

SPUSCG
November 15, 2008, 10:36 PM
want to fire some buckshot at the range soon....is firing a chokeless barrel safe at any distance? its a 20inch for smoothbore slugs.

rsgraebert
November 15, 2008, 10:41 PM
What do you mean by chokeless? If your barrel has threads for a choke and you fire it with no choke inserted, you're begging to destroy the threads (and any hope of correctly installing a choke ever again). If you want to fire the shotgun with an "open" choke installed, you can expect a pattern that is several feet wide at 20 yards.

Dave McC
November 16, 2008, 09:07 AM
Choke has become less of a factor since ammo improved, starting in the 60s with the plastic one piece shot cup and wad.

My best buck patterns at 25 yards run 16-20". Many folks with newer loads like the Fed Flite Control stuff do way better.

Some folks like spread. I prefer dense patterns.

Try different loads and see what your shotgun "Likes"...

alloy
November 16, 2008, 10:51 AM
you mean a non existant choke?

cylinder bore i think

http://www.wildfowlmag.com/tips_strategies/shotgun_062304/

rem870hunter
November 16, 2008, 06:21 PM
20" smoothbore, if its a remington it sounds to me like its either going to be cyl or imp. cyl. cyl. i would say 15-20 yards, imp. cyl 20-30 yards. unless its a special made barrel the 20" barrel is going to have open sights on it which would be imp. cyl. if its a bead sight then cyl.

i seriously hope its not a 20" rem choke barrel being fired without a choke tube. you are asking for trouble doing that.

SPUSCG
November 16, 2008, 09:46 PM
its a rifle sighted smoothbore slug barrel, says imp cyl on side, dont know what an improved cylinder is

oneounceload
November 16, 2008, 10:03 PM
I/C is typically, in a 12 gauge barrel, choked at .010 constriction - a fairly open choke (cylinder bore being .000)

Cerick
November 16, 2008, 10:22 PM
Improved Cylinder will give you a slightly tighter pattern than a Cylinder bore choke or barrel will give you. Federal Flight control is the stuff you want for shooting tight patterns. At 25 yards it did this for me out of my 12ga, 18in 870 with a cylinder bore choke in it, and my aim was off. One thing i did notice was that I only counted 7 pellets on the target, of the 9 that those shells hold. hmmmmm

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/dutchmaster151/Picture186.jpg

rem870hunter
November 16, 2008, 10:45 PM
is it for HD/PD or hunting? if for HD/PD sight it in with slugs to 25 yards. then shoot the buckshot from 5 yards to whatever the furthest distance you would be shooting in your home.

try different pellet sizes,pellet loads and velocities. would recommend 27 pellet #4 buck,16 pellet #1 buck, 12 pellet 0 buck, 9 and 12 pellet 00 buck.

if your going to use birdshot use 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz #2 or #4.

if its for hunting sight in with slugs a little high at 50 yards, try buckshot after that to 30 yards.

hogdogs
November 16, 2008, 10:55 PM
Cerick, You have the 2 top pellet holes 1 each... Below that, the hole on left looks like a double next to a single, Directly below those you have one hole that may also be a double than the 2 holes on bottom...
Brent

Cerick
November 16, 2008, 11:35 PM
Yea hotdogs, I couldn't really tell, even looking at it up close and personal. Ill have to do some more testing. The remington 3" 00 buck and Winchester 3" 00 buck were all over the place at 25 yards. For shooting up close, I would go without the flightcontrol wad, as you might as well be shooting a slug if its closer than 12 yards or so. for 15 yards or more, the flight control stuff is awesome. 870hunter, if your suggesting using birdshot for SD/HD, which I'm not sure if you are, I wouldnt. Wound would be nasty looking but penetration wouldn't be enough to hit the vitals. The only birdshot I would ever use for sd or hd would be like #9 and hope to hit the BG in the eyes with some shot.

rem870hunter
November 17, 2008, 12:26 AM
i'm not aware of his home setup, others in the house especially children. like where i am. if i fire down my hallway whether i miss the intruder(s) or not. i have a feeling that some pellets will hit the bedroom door or wall. i don't want a long dragged out struggle or fight in my home involving gunfire, or other weapons.

i do feel that buckshot hitting the right area of the human body would most likely end the fight quickly and decisively. i am all for buckshot and or slugs for HD. i feel that if i must shoot in my home i want it done and over with fast. but i don't want to advocate it in such a way that you want to let loose with buckshot in the home,whether you know or not if the room on the otherside of the wall is occupied or not.

if i was living alone where i'm at. i would have my wingmaster mag. here with the extension on it loaded with #1 or 0 buck. no birdshot in it at all.

i hope i don't sound like i'm yelling at you or anyone for that matter. if it does it is not my intention too. we each have our own way we load our firearms for HD. for years my father had #2 magnum lead for his HD shotgun load. he put that away. went back to the colt 1911.