PDA

View Full Version : who makes shotgun w/ 26 inch overall length

SPUSCG
November 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
been looking with a friend for his HD shotgun and he wants smallest possible, and it may sound stupid but he wants to CC it when out at night going home or something because he his neighborhood is kind of high on crime. Who makes a nice small little coach gun thats affordable?

hogdogs
November 14, 2008, 05:39 PM
I am ablr to tote my 18 inch mossberg with PGO on a luggage strap under a trench coat. Not that have ever done this but it would easily hide nicely under one.
Brent

Scattergun Bob
November 14, 2008, 06:45 PM
There is a little more to it besides OAL of 26". The barrel must be 18", or you will run afoul of the NFA.

There is a AOW Any other weapon status that might serve your purpose if your state allows this.

My recommendation is to do the pistol grip only Mossberg or Remington, this would be an easy conversion and with standard mag would be about the same profile as a double. As you have read, I am not happy with this type of butstock, but if you just have too! Royal Arms makes a bungee sling that might work for carry. You could simply "cut down" a cheap double, making sure that the numbers are correct, and I would + 1/2" to the minimums.

Please; be careful here, tell your friend to double check state and local law, what he suggests may not be covered by a CCW, here in WA this would not be allowed with our CPL carry laws. Secondly, any time your friend is stopped expect to get a felony stop procedure from this weapon. I know, that sounds paranoid, but every peace officer is not up to snuff on carry laws and this would look like the #1 BG gun a sawed off gauge!

Good Luck & Be Safe

SPUSCG
November 14, 2008, 06:53 PM
hes not going to carry it often, just nights, he has a welfare house full of drug dealing thugs and illegal immigrants behind him who arent above jumping someone. A 12 guage might deter crime.

hogdogs
November 14, 2008, 06:59 PM
But a great deterrent is not a concealed weapon. The weapon is only a deterrent once it is out and at this point, a .45 full size 1911 is a tuff sumbuck to look past.
A diligent awareness is the best deterrent short of a drawn firearm.
Next I will say that a shotgun is going to not only harder to draw but harder to retain if your buddy is "jumped"...
Brent

publius
November 14, 2008, 07:02 PM
maybe a H&R single shot or cheap sxs. remember that barrel has to be 18.5". seriously tell him to get a revolver and practice w/it. If he ever is in a situation where he has to defend himself, even if it's a good shoot, a guy carrying a shotgun under his trenchcoat could be made to look pretty bad to the wrong grand Jury.

Scattergun Bob
November 14, 2008, 07:02 PM
Wow,

"A diligent awareness is the best deterrent short of a drawn firearm" very well said!!!

My Best to you, Bob

SPUSCG
November 14, 2008, 07:12 PM
hes not too hot on private sales since you can be ripped off and primary purpose would be home defense.

hogdogs
November 14, 2008, 07:24 PM
In the hands of an overzealous DA, a perfectly legit SD shooting where a shotgun was concealed is going to be more likely to pass thru the grand jury and bring charges... And nothin' says "I was lookin' for trouble" like a short shotgun used outside your home... IMHO YMMV...
Time and a place for everything comes to mind.
A .45 1911 in mexican carry mode looks sedate compared to a shotgun under a trench coat...
Brent

zippy13
November 14, 2008, 10:20 PM
A .45 1911 in mexican carry mode looks sedate compared to a shotgun under a trench coat...
+1
You're in the groove, Brent.

4thPointofContact
November 14, 2008, 10:43 PM
Your friend could go on something like GunBroker and try to find a nicely used High Standard Model 10A or 10B....
or he could wait until after the new year and see if the Monolith P-12 makes it into production. (20-rounds of 12 gauge with a 27 OAL.)