PDA

View Full Version : New York State mailorder laws??????????

valentsgrif
November 4, 2008, 11:20 AM
I'm about the buy a Savage 10-ml muzzleloader. If I can order one through an internet dealer can I have it shipped to my home or does it have to go through an FFL?

FrontSight
November 4, 2008, 12:51 PM
The newer Savage muzzleloaders are NOT considered a firearm by the ATF and you can ship them to non FFL holders.

I got one not too long ago & still haven't fired it yet :(

Have you read up on the best bullets & powder yet?

mykeal
November 4, 2008, 02:22 PM
Asking for legal information on the internet gets you data that's worth just exactly what you pay for it.

BATFE's shipping regulations will indeed allow interstate shipment without the requirement for licensees to do a transfer. However, that's only half the story; there are state laws that place further restrictions, and NY has some of the more creative ones, so you really should speak with your local authorities. Retail shippers usually know the rules of the various states and can be relied upon to provide good advice. If the seller is a volume retailer, he can tell you what's necessary. If it's an individual, go see your local sheriff.

Scrap5000 - do you live in NY state, and if so, did you buy from a retailer or an individual?

simonkenton
November 4, 2008, 03:53 PM
The original Savage, the ML-1, is considered a firearm, sort of a fluke ruling by ATF. This rifle has not been made for 8 years.
The Savage ML-2, which is the model manufactured today, is not considered a firearm by ATF. I had one sent to me, mail order, here in North Carolina.

Scrap5000, you haven't fired your Savage yet? What is wrong with you, boy?
Ask me if you want info on some good loads.

mykeal
November 4, 2008, 09:02 PM
The Savage ML-2, which is the model manufactured today, is not considered a firearm by ATF.
That's correct. It also is meaningless to NY State, and some other, authorities.

valentsgrif
November 6, 2008, 10:52 AM
mykeal, you caution is well taken: I am a NY attorney! The gun laws of this state are difficult even for me to follow, let alone your average shooter.

I've researched the issue to death and can't get a straight answer: the gun shops and catalogue dealers (eg Cabelas) say no can mail to a purchasers home, but I've seen no statutory prohibition.

I finally contacted the civil rights attorney for a state gun owners advocacy group who confirmed that there is no prohibiition on mailing muzzleloading long guns directly. But there are current rumors that the state shall soon ban the practice thus the misinformation.

FrontSight
November 13, 2008, 07:51 PM
mykeal: I ordered from my FFL, just because it was easy to do so...

FrontSight
November 13, 2008, 07:59 PM
simonkenton: thank you, much appreciated & will keep in mind if I have any quesitons...