PDA

View Full Version : Suggest a lubricant for my polymer frame...

Conceal Carry
October 30, 2008, 11:58 AM
For the last ten years I have been using WD40 and light lube oil to clean and lubricate my all steel handgun without any problem. Now I have purchased a polymer frame 9mm and was wondering if I should continue with the same combination or start using White lithium grease or Silicone grease on my polymer frame pistol. Any suggestions?

Wiskey_33
October 30, 2008, 11:59 AM
I use Breakfree CLP on all my firearms, which includes a GLOCK.

madmag
October 30, 2008, 12:05 PM
For the last ten years I have been using WD40 and light lube oil to clean and lubricate

First, I never use WD40 as lubricant. It's ok for cleaning, but not a good lubricant.

I use CLP for cleaning and lubrication of small tight areas. Also, light gun oil. And yes I still use 3-1 oil. For slide I use a light gun grease. I presently use some I got under the Browning name. It is clear and very light.

BigJimP
October 30, 2008, 01:08 PM
Break Free for lube on any gun / steel or poly - it doesn't matter.

WD40 is not a good cleaner or a lube. I use it to wipe down the exterior of my guns / and I know it builds up and doesn't prevent rust, etc ....but it makes me feel good, so I do it anyway.

gwnorth
October 30, 2008, 01:08 PM
Your polymer framed gun's slide still runs on steel-on-steel or steel-on-aluminum rails, so lube the high friction parts the same as you would an all metal gun. None of the moving parts that contact each other are polymer.

greenjeans
October 30, 2008, 08:39 PM
My early Ruger P95 runs on polymer frame rails.

CortJestir
October 30, 2008, 08:44 PM
I've been a big fan of Weapon Shield (http://www.weaponshield.com/) lately. I use it more for the "L" and "P" parts in CLP. (I use good ol' Hoppes #9 for the "C").

hodaka
October 30, 2008, 08:46 PM
A little dab will do ya

shooting4fun
October 30, 2008, 08:59 PM
Howdy Concealed Carry, and et al.,

Interesting question you pose. I'm pretty sure you'll get a good range of answers. I can provide information on what I've been using with satisfactory results for your consideration. I use my pistols, revolvers for both casual and serious applications (competition and carry).

I've been searching for something suitable to use for both applications that wouldn't break the bank, wouldn't make a mess, and smell foul. Now with regards to the competition side of things I run typically over 100 rounds per match. On the carry side of things the temperatures vary greatly here in AZ as we have a pretty diverse environment. Elevations range from about 100 feet above sea level to about 12k feet. So I needed to find a lubricant that would stay put and work well, reliably at most of those environments.

I've yet to find an oil that has been suitable. They all migrate and don't satisfy my requirements. So I've been looking at greases. Most of them are not satisfactory for a number of reasons. Most have been poor performance and foul smells due to all the sulfur content.

The top three that have worked reasonably well for me have been:

Lucas Oil Red and Tacky # 2
Brian Enos Slide Glide
Note: These two are both tied, with lower cost going to the Lucas Oil product.

Tetra Lube

The cool thing about all of these products is that you really just need a light film on the bearing surfaces. The top two don't leave globs at the end of the frame rails during the cycling action. They also don't have much of an oder either.

So there you have some additional information to ponder. Remember your mileage may vary.

Good luck in your quest for knowledge.

Cheers!

IdahoG36
October 30, 2008, 09:07 PM
For the last ten years I have been using WD40

Blasphemy!!!
:D

You are lubricating a firearm, not a fishing reel or squeaky door hinge. Leave the WD40 to those jobs. There are several excellent firearm lubes out there. I personally use BreakFree CLP or OTIS Special Forces dry lube, and Wilson Combat Ultima grease for the slide rails.

Glock_fan
October 30, 2008, 09:46 PM
I've always just used the little bottle of Rem Oil for my Glocks, M&P and P22 and never had a problem, I think they're only $2 at Wal-Mart, and they last me a decent amount of time. Just my $.02.

dairycreek
October 31, 2008, 11:16 AM
For a number of years I have been using Eezox as both a cleaner and a lubricant and have found it to be an excellent product which I can recommend without reservation. http://www.eezox.net/

hoytinak
October 31, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm a big fan of Weapon Shield for all my CLP needs. I've used it all over the world in lots of different conditions and it's been great in all.

flyby
October 31, 2008, 11:27 AM
I remember back in the 70's (while I was quite young then :) ) a lot of people used WD40 on their guns(including me sometimes) ..and it worked alright i guess, but nowadays there's so much better, like the aforementioned BF CLP, Eezox etc..

Not sure how WD might affect Polymers in the long run either ..probably not good.

gwnorth
October 31, 2008, 11:48 AM
My early Ruger P95 runs on polymer frame rails.

Really? I did not know that. That would creep me out as I would always worry about wear. Any other polymer pistols without steel rail inserts?

As you can tell, I've never owned a polymer pistol - just prefer steel or alum. alloy. Any polymer guns I've borrowed or rented have had steel rail inserts.

flyby
October 31, 2008, 01:39 PM
^I guess Poly slide rails would kinda creep me out to :D

I know the Cobra Patriot 45 (though primarily an SNS company) was designed by a competent Israeli designer Nehemia Sirkis with big-fat Polymer slide rails on it http://www.handgunsmag.com/featured_handguns/cobrapatriot_062207/
but when you think about it, today's high impact glass-filled nylon Polymers are at least as strong as aluminum and probably much more so..as long its molded with well functioning injection molding equipment ..and kept well lubricated to avoid galling and wear.

Ishtacka
October 31, 2008, 02:34 PM
I remember reading somewhere that a fella uses high temp. auto grease from an auto supply on his glock. If you treat your glock like a tool, I guess you lube it like one too.

I shoot a Beretta PX4: I use CLP on the interior of the barrel, and various grease on the metal on metal contact points. Tetra works for me.

Ish

JAYBIRD78
October 31, 2008, 03:33 PM
I've been a big fan of Weapon Shield lately. I use it more for the "L" and "P" parts in CLP. (I use good ol' Hoppes #9 for the "C")

+1 on what this guy said.

Works great for me.

orionengnr
October 31, 2008, 08:26 PM
WD40 is for water displacement (hence the WD). I used it for that purpose when my S&W revolver and I went swimming unexpectedly one day. :rolleyes:

I've tried most of the available products and keep coming back to Eezox. It has two downsides: it is somewhat pricey and it can be hard to find locally.

As to it's upsides, check these:
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html

Although these tests only address corrosion resistance, remember that the film of lubricant acts as a moisture (hence corrosion) barrier. Eezox is a very slippery semi-drying lube that hangs around. As far as a cleaner, it seems to work well, perhaps because it leaves that layer of dry lube that makes it difficult for anything to stick to.

I am currently testing WeaponShield and Gibbs Brand. Jury is still out, although preliminary results are encouraging....

DWARREN123
October 31, 2008, 08:42 PM
Just about any brand name firearms lube will work. Where you need to watch out is cleaners, make should it is synthetic safe.
WD-40 is a water displacement chemical and not really good for lubrication.

JerryS1
November 1, 2008, 08:46 AM
I've used just about everything and went back to the basic Rem oil on most everything.

On the rails, I personally like to dab a Q-tip with Rem oil on one end and slide glide on the other.....run a light film of slide glide down the rails and top it with a light coat of Rem oil. It sounds like overkill....but I can tell the difference.

Jerry

Shane Tuttle
November 1, 2008, 09:27 AM
For the last ten years I have been using WD40 and light lube oil to clean and lubricate my all steel handgun without any problem. Now I have purchased a polymer frame 9mm and was wondering if I should continue with the same combination or start using White lithium grease or Silicone grease on my polymer frame pistol. Any suggestions?

1. Get rid of the WD40. Isn't worth having around the house at all. RemOil is in the doghouse for me, too. It's a decent lube at best. But, as soon as the gun starts to warm up, the RemOil breaks down way too easy.

2. Lithium grease is a good option for friction areas such as the rails. I don't personally use straight lithium per se, but it has been known to be a good lubricant.

3. I stay away from any silicon products on my gun. It gets in the way more than anything for all intents and purposes.

4. When your gun is prepped correctly, Eezox is my choice. Makes future CL&P of your gun a breeze. It has corrosion prevention properties like no other. You use very little so the product lasts a long time. On the high friction points, I do go ahead and use Tetra Grease. Very little also.

5. I've used WeaponShield from time to time. I think it's a very good product. The only gripe I have with it is it's a little too thick for some applications. But, it's really good stuff.

Brian Pfleuger
November 1, 2008, 09:59 AM
A fair number of folks use lithium grease on slide rails. Even better is aluminum grease if you can get it. It is sometimes used in foodservice (ice cream machines, etc.)

The rule is (generally):
If it rolls or spins or pivots, oil it.

If it slides, grease it.

NYH1
November 1, 2008, 12:49 PM
I switched from Rem Oil to Shooter's Choice FP-10 for all of my firearms. It works very well in semi auto's that will see a lot of firing.

I used to shoot a lot of rounds through my AR-15. The Rem Oil would "steam off" the outside of the barrel and the inside of the rifle would be dry when I was done shooting. The F-P 10 doesn't "steam off" and the rifle still had plenty of oil after hundreds of rounds fired.

Darren007
November 1, 2008, 01:57 PM
Really? I did not know that. That would creep me out as I would always worry about wear. Any other polymer pistols without steel rail inserts?

Springfield XDs ;)

Sebring Pop
November 1, 2008, 02:28 PM
I only have all steel guns so I take the grips off and soak and clean in kerosene and dry and the only thing I lube is the slide with break free. The Kerosene leaves a residue that will lube all other moving parts.

thebaldguy
November 2, 2008, 08:00 PM
I use the LP version of CLP. It works well.

HKFan9
November 2, 2008, 08:33 PM
Hoppe's #9 worked for my Grand Father, my Father, and still works great for me today. Then I finish up with a light coat of some (insert brand) gun oil. MY handguns don't get drug around in mud and sand while I'm concealing them, but this method has even worked for all my hunting rifles and shotguns here in PA.

oneounceload
November 2, 2008, 09:49 PM
Hoppes for oil, Shooter's Choice for grease on the Glock slide

Conceal Carry
November 3, 2008, 08:46 AM
Thank you all for your valuable suggestions. Reading all your suggestions and some refered material, I think I'll try Eezox if I could find it here in Pakistan or I'll try to buy it online. I hope it's not a restricted item.

max it
November 3, 2008, 12:12 PM
Well I can't really answer, at least not better than what is already posted. I needed to put my 2c in:
WD-stands for water displacement, I hear 40 is the test number they used to get to a water displacement that worked.
I am a spray oil salesman, [so that is my disclaimer]. WD-40 is basically kerosene, paraffin, and some smell, so I have been told. Notice there is no mention of the word 'lubricant' anywhere on the product. 'Enuff said?
Cyclo.com their BreakAway is fine as a cleaning agent. But for the most part I stick to gun products for my guns.

max it.

Conceal Carry
November 3, 2008, 12:38 PM
For the last ten years I have been using WD40 and light lube oil to clean and lubricate my all steel handgun

As mentioned in my original post, I use WD40 only to clean and drive out moisture as I live in a humid coastal area near the sea. For lubrication I use light gun oil.

flyby
November 3, 2008, 01:35 PM
I think I'll try Eezox if I could find it here in Pakistan or I'll try to buy it online. I hope it's not a restricted item.
Here's the most cost efficient way to buy Eezox (in Bulk) costs only about as much as a box of defensive ammo for several years worth(or more) ..and a little goes a long way..
also Midway ships overseas I believe.
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=136077&t=11082005

Here's a smaller 4oz amount http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=413498&t=11082005
..best go for the big jug, if you can :)

Cliff47
November 3, 2008, 01:46 PM
I have beeh using the Tetra products for the last ten years without a problem, even including an introduction pack for new shooters that I tend to be a bad influence on.

Conceal Carry
November 4, 2008, 10:12 AM
Thanks a lot Flyby for info and the link. I'll contact them immediately.

keys85
November 4, 2008, 04:19 PM
What type of BreakFree are you guys using? I have both BreakFree CLP in a spray can, and BreakFree CLP in a little bottle that's more or so like a 40 or 50 weight oil. I love the smell of the stuff in the spray can. This stuff seems great for cleaning...but it dries. I'm uncertain of its lubrication qualities. The stuff in the little oil bottle I use for the barrel, but generally not on the slide rails. Oil will eventually run off.

For my carry weapons I use gunslick graphite lubricant on the slide rails. I've also used anti-seize lubricant (automotive). I now am experimenting with mixing the anti-seize lube 50/50 mix with some heavy red automotive grease. It creates a very nice consistency and texture that stays in place. Just a spot of this however on the frame rails. Any of these lubricants are cheap and plentiful and are rated for extreme duty use under high stress and high temps - so I do not see why anyone would care to spend an exuberant amount of money of a name-brand lubricant that does the same thing.

packa45
November 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
Slide Glide Lite for the rails and Breakfree CLP for everything else. It's all you need.

Conceal Carry
November 8, 2008, 03:23 PM
I couldn't find a site which would take online orders, so I wrote to Eezox. They were very prompt in reply but looks like it's a restricted item, man it's so frustrating..... I'm afraid some day the US governemnt may restrict the membership of such forums to Pakistanis.:eek:

allgrainer
November 11, 2008, 05:36 PM
Thanks to you folks for informing me about Slide Glide. I just applied it to a couple of my autos and the feel is obviously smother. I have not had a chance to shoot them yet to see if there will be a difference, but with the way the slides feel I can't wait to get to the range.

Ć’ORTE
November 11, 2008, 06:51 PM
Rem Oil is very runny and light. I usually use it only cleaning the exterior and for rust prevention in a controlled environment.
Breakfree CLP stinks...literally. Man that stuff smells and it always gets all over me. Messy and smelly..this overrules its utility for me, but I have it as a backup cleaner i guess.
Weaponshield is an awesome medium lube and protector.
Hoppes bore cleaner for vaporized lead deposits
EEzox the best protector out there barnone, short of submerging in oil indefinitely. Not entirely sure of its dry lubing properties though, so I have weaponshield collaborate with it. I recently ran out of EEzox(that I bought 10yrs ago) and thanks to flyby's info will have some sent my way.