PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with some questions

Angler
October 28, 2008, 12:03 PM
Hi guys. My first post.

Looks like you have a nice site with lots of knowledgeable people.

Little background on me. I’m a life long shooter and outdoorsmen. Fishing is a major passion of mine year round. Come Sept 15 I’m crawling on my hands and knees stalking deer with my bows. Been shooting since I was given my first 22 Rem at the age of 5. Still have that very gun in perfect condition. I gave up gun hunting 20 yrs ago because I didn’t feel challenged anymore in my small state. Pretty much if I could see it it’s already dead. Since I can’t pistol hunt deer in CT I went to a bow and never looked back. Been successful every year in the woods archery hunting whitetails since.

A friend needed funds and decide to part with some guns so I picked up a few.

One is a CVA Buckhorn .50cal mag. All black in line.
I never shot a black powder weapon before. Of course the first thing I had to do was let one go. VERY loud BOOM from 2 pellets.
My plan is to sight this gun in and figure out what can be achieved with it. Then go drop some deer. I am using my extra Muzzleloader tags to donate meat to a food shelter.

Questions:
What are the Best bullet style and brand, type and amount of pellets, and range for this setup.

Also cleaning. Do I need to clean it after 1, 6, or 10 shots?

I am looking for a cheap scope to toss on and would like to be able to consistently pattern a good grouping out to 100yds. Don’t think I’ll need more than 50 but will practice to 1oo just incase a second shot is ever needed.

Thank you

Jay

simonkenton
October 28, 2008, 02:08 PM
Try the 240 XTP from Hornady. You can buy a box of 20, sabots included.
Proven deer killers. The Hornady 250 SST is also a good deer killer.
I would urge you to buy loose powder and a powder measure. Start with 80 grains, try 3 shots, then move up to 90 grains, then 100. See which is most accurate. You could use Pyrodex or 777. There is a new black powder sub called Blackhorn 209 which is getting real good reviews. Gives good accuracy and creates less fouling than other powders, very easy to clean up.
But, lots of guys just use pellets. For shots under 100 yards you will probably do fine with pellets. Use 777 or Pyrodex.
Don't buy into this "150 grain Magnum Load" stuff.
You don't need that much powder, it will make accuracy suffer.
Just use 2 of the 50 grain pellets.
You should swab the bore with a dry patch after each shot at the range.

That rifle should be a great deer killer for you.
Good luck!

zippy13
October 28, 2008, 02:58 PM
Greetings, Angler, and welcome aboard.
Good luck with your adventure into the world of black powder.

Fingers McGee
October 28, 2008, 06:48 PM
zippy13: Greetings, Angler, and welcome aboard.
Good luck with your adventure into the world of black powder.

+1. Welcome to wide wide wonderful world of smoke and fire

arcticap
October 30, 2008, 02:34 AM
Hi fellow Nutmegger, it's a small world!
A couple of highly recommended bullets are the Barnes all copper bullets and the Speer Gold Dots. The Barnes might be more accurate and durable but the Gold Dots also work great and are more economical when bought in bulk. :)

Make sure that the size of the bullet matches the sabot (Midsouth also carries some).

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=RELOADING&dept2=JACKETED+PISTOL&dept3=.429+DIA&dept4=&vendors=SPEER+BULLETS

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=%52%45%4C%4F%41%44%49%4E%47&dept2=%4A%41%43%4B%45%54%45%44%20%50%49%53%54%4F%4C&dept3=%2E%34%35%32%20%44%49%41

Angler
November 6, 2008, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome guys and thanks for the info.

I have a bunch of stuff my buddy, actually my buddies wife gave me with the gun.

Boxes of 209 primers, diff powders and loads. With 2 pellets I can hit a paper plate every shot at 60yds. So even if I don’t grab a scope in time I should be good to go. Cabelas has a half price sale on some now. Although I just ordered more fishing stuff and I don’t want the wife to hunt me.

This new toy is fun to shoot. You wake the dead with these things. I’m pretty sure even if I missed the deer it would die of a heart attack.

Did a little stalking with the bow yesterday and got with in 30 yds of 4 Doe’s before being busted drawing back. If I had this smoke pole I could have dropped 2 at once. ;)

Jay

mike6975
November 6, 2008, 07:41 PM
welcome aboard to probably the most knowledgable forum out there!,yes theres others but this one is the king of all forums.:D

Respectfully,

mike

Smokin_Gun
November 8, 2008, 04:03 AM
Yeah right! LoL! :rolleyes:

SG

Hawg
November 8, 2008, 05:12 AM
Yeah right! LoL!

+1, I guess him don't get around much.:D:D:D

shortwave
November 8, 2008, 08:46 AM
:D:D:D. Angler,from the comments you`ll find this board as funny as informative. Don`t be afraid to ask questions or share experiences. Welcome and Enjoy.;)