PDA

View Full Version : Is the Government watching this forum?

cchardwick
October 24, 2008, 12:44 PM
What do you think? I think if I was looking for the bad guy I'd be watching each post like a hawk!

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/shower.gif

Stagger Lee
October 24, 2008, 12:47 PM
Paranoia. Definition: Paranoia is an unfounded or exaggerated distrust of others, sometimes reaching delusional proportions. Paranoid individuals constantly suspect the motives of those around them, and believe that certain individuals, or people in general, are "out to get them."
:rolleyes:

Creature
October 24, 2008, 12:55 PM
Certainly. You are now on "the list"....

http://rlv.zazzle.com/put_me_on_the_watch_list_shirt-p235111820669632948ahcc_400.jpg

M1911
October 24, 2008, 12:57 PM
I can tell you that the MA Attorney General is monitoring the Northeastshooters.com forum. In fact, the MA Attorney General even has someone monitoring the paid portion of the site (~$20 per year for the members-only section).

It wouldn't surprise me if someone is monitoring this forum (not including the fact that I'm sure more than a few members and lurkers are LEOs).

cchardwick
October 24, 2008, 01:15 PM
I think they are looking through my webcam right now.

http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/staticfiles/NGS/Shared/StaticFiles/animals/images/primary/black-spider-monkey.jpg

PTK
October 24, 2008, 01:18 PM
Yes, of course. Not being paranoid, mind you, but any firearms related website of moderate or higher traffic is monitored - it's not like that's much of a chore.

Wildalaska
October 24, 2008, 01:34 PM
According to my sources, the BATFE and the NSA have teamed up to collect the names and addresses of all folks who post on gun forums...there is a plan, written by Bill Ayers, to have, under the new administration, all gun owners who are not registered democrats tossed into re education camps. You can avoid this by cancelling your NRA membership, and changing your user name on this forum to something that reflects correct politics such as "Gunner Fighting the Exploiters" or "Armed Proletarian" or "Smash the Parasitic Neocons"....

You have been warned;)

PeaceandLoveinformerlyWildAlaska ™

Recon7
October 24, 2008, 01:57 PM
"Just because you're paranoid don't mean they're not after you..."

Of course they are, because the government is the people who work for it. How many police officers do we have here? Doncha think if somebody posted about a shooting they were involved in and a cop who is a member here recognizes that it happened in his city, he would tell his superiors about it. He would be grossly negligent not to. That's why I never use my name, rarely refer to the state I live in, and will never never never post about any incident I may become involved in.

ilbob
October 24, 2008, 02:34 PM
but in the clinton days a "researcher" on contract to the DOJ was actually running the misc.activism.militia newsgroup.

ZeSpectre
October 24, 2008, 03:13 PM
Did a brief (thank God) stint where it was my job to monitor a few websites.

My assignment was monitoring some really scary "Aryan Nations" type splinter groups not gun boards but the fact remains that I was just one-of-many doing that sort of work at the time.

buzz_knox
October 24, 2008, 03:20 PM
Besides ZeSpectre's first hand report, we also have knowledge of Echelon, Carnivore, Carnivore's replacement, the recently revealed monitoring, the NSA's funding of data mining research, etc. We also know that LE agencies monitor the 'net for things like child ****. So, it'd be rather naive to think that at some point, they don't stroll through public forums, or even set up search programs to do the work for them.

Even if they didn't, it'd be wonderful if everyone thought they did. It might bring a measure of civility and intelligence (or at least the appearance thereof) to the internet, if people started thinking that their posts might come back to haunt them.

Biff from Oxford
October 24, 2008, 03:35 PM
The government has more important things do other than watching the public. They have to make sure we don't catch on to what they are doing and hang their sorry asses from the nearest phone pole.

Have you noticed fewer phone poles lately? Exactly!

Creature
October 24, 2008, 03:40 PM
Have you noticed fewer phone poles lately? Exactly!

Hah!! That was pretty funny! :)

MrNiceGuy
October 24, 2008, 03:55 PM
http://img352.imageshack.us/img352/2103/tinfoilhatly6.jpg

no, i dont think they're watching us......

if they are, they are not concerned with any of the petty things discussed or even avoided on this forum

FrontSight
October 24, 2008, 04:16 PM
I think it would be irresponsible of the govt to NOT to monitor open, public sites like this. And if you are following all the laws of this land then you can sleep well at night.

johnwilliamson062
October 24, 2008, 04:18 PM
I would imagine there =is at least one FBI/ATF agent perusing this forum out of personal interest, not to speak of all the state and local law enforcement officers. I imagine if they ran across something that was dangerous and illegal they would bump it up the chain of command. Is there a windowless room full of secret agents watching our every post? Probably not.

Are these posts picked up by projects like carnivore and stored in some massive database that is never reviewed because the people who are supposed to be reviewing it are watching child **** on their government computers instead? Most definitely.

MrNiceGuy
October 24, 2008, 04:20 PM
I think it would be irresponsible of the govt to NOT to monitor open, public sites like this. And if you are following all the laws of this land then you can sleep well at night.

I only follow most of them.... and i sleep like a baby on sedatives :cool:

Recon7
October 24, 2008, 06:16 PM
I always follow every law;)

cchardwick
October 24, 2008, 08:16 PM
Me too and my speedometer never goes above the speed limit, EVER.

:)

johnwilliamson062
October 24, 2008, 08:36 PM
That's why I never use my name, rarely refer to the state I live in, and will never never never post about any incident I may become involved in.

If this situation occurred they could pull all the IP addresses you had signed onto the site from within half an hour of having an interest. Then they could pull the billing for those within a few days. By the end of the week they would know who you were and what **** sites you looked at. The anonymity of the internet is as exaggerated as straw buys at gun shows.

nate45
October 24, 2008, 08:40 PM
No, because If there were the very first post would have been from one saying you were being paranoid.

Seriously it would be a colossal waste of time and money to monitor this site, so that leads me to believe the government is doing it, because if any entity knows how to waste time and money it's the government.

cchardwick
October 24, 2008, 09:52 PM
Just so you know how to keep people from tracking you:

You can hide your IP address with free software:

Smart Hide (http://www.smarthide.com/)

And you can block literally BILLIONS of IP addresses with this software:

Peer Guardian (http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/)

I tried the IP redirect and it works really good. If you check your IP before it will pinpoint your location. After using this software you'll end up in some other country.

Not that I'm paranoid enough to keep using this software.

http://glocktalk.com/forums/images/smilies/50cal.gif

TFred
October 25, 2008, 01:24 AM
My DSL service is so crappy, I get a new IP address quite often, sometimes several per day... that alone would take them an extra week or two to sort through... ;)

TFred

Brit
October 25, 2008, 05:40 AM
Something as volatile as guns! In this day and age, of course the "sights" are monitored, by whoever, we are here right? sending stuff back and forth.

We also do a kind of good job cleaning our own house, a silly person not tolerated... cut off!

If we the gun people ever get paranoid enough, we will not go to the range? I will not get that paranoid! Heck we are right next door to the Sheriffs range! separated by a wire fence, wave on the way in and out.

I love Florida, we get to go out all year!

alloy
October 25, 2008, 07:34 AM
i assume some are obligated to thier careers. somewhere there is a sticky. zen is found in the stickies.

now, what is your home defense weapon of choice and where do you keep it?

cchardwick
October 25, 2008, 09:15 AM
what is your home defense weapon of choice and where do you keep it?

My home defence of choice is my Marlin 1895 in 45-70, basically because we have bears up here and I'm afraid that someday I'll wake up with a bear at the foot of my bed. Where I keep it depends on the day, usually in the gun safe but some days, like the day that the bear ate 31 of my chickens, I'll keep it close to the bed. A 45-70 with the right ammo will stop just about anything.

http://www.impactguns.com/store/media/marlin/marlin_1895_cowboy.jpg

cchardwick
October 25, 2008, 09:16 AM
I thought the whole child **** thing was a gimmick to frame rouge FBI agents.

:cool:

ziggy222
October 25, 2008, 05:54 PM
look up executive orders if you want to see how far it goes

vytoland
October 25, 2008, 06:20 PM
officer, i am a true pacifist. :rolleyes: firearms are very dangerous and i would never have one in the house;)

but there maybe more than one:D

vytoland
October 25, 2008, 06:22 PM
big brother IS watching 24/7 :eek: the only government thing you can count on:barf:

MrNiceGuy
October 25, 2008, 08:33 PM
i have claimed responsibility for at least 3 high profile assassinations while online

jokingly of course

4V50 Gary
October 26, 2008, 09:10 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if someone from .gov dropped in occasionally. But it would probably be more of a personal interest/hobby type thing than to look for criminals. A lot of .gov agents are busy looking for hackers, kiddie **** and foreign intelligence collecting against defense related industries, or tracking Al Q. funding or criminal money laundering.

BTW, never mind what Oliver Stone said in his flick about the JFK assassination. I still think Marilyn Monroe was the figure on the grassy knoll and that she was aiming for Jackie, not John and that Marilyn wanted to get rid of the "other" woman. High heels threw off Marilyn's aim. It's the classic American love triangle with terrible consequences.

October 26, 2008, 09:39 AM
Pete and repete, with the wacko female astronut (sic0.

Oberfeld
October 26, 2008, 10:04 AM
Just whatch "The conspiracy theory" with Mel Gibson. Having said that, you don't have to forget we live in the 21st century. They don't need to search gun forums anymore. They have software that does it for them. As soon as a "keyword" pops up they are locked in an the threat.

ShipWreck
October 26, 2008, 10:06 AM
I won't say how I know - but I happen to know that the ATF DOES monitor some forums. I do not know about THIS one, but they are watching.

Recon7
October 26, 2008, 12:32 PM
45 to 16 eh, looks like we have 16 government operatives here on TFL :D

hoytinak
October 26, 2008, 12:37 PM
I'm 99.99% sure that at least the first guy to reply to this thread is one of "them" and I'm sure there are others on here.

Ruthless4christ
October 26, 2008, 08:14 PM
I say yes, a few of the threads that have been started here (by memebers with under five posts) have been almost comical in that i can just see [I]Agent Smith sunglasses and all watching responses and taking down ip addresses. good for me here in latin america the all computers are run by unresponsive hamsters on wheels who allow me to use the internet free from fear of detection.:D

after the patriot act went through(the end of the USA as we knew it) just saying¨the word [I][I]gun[I] on the phone gets your conversation recorded in a file stored somewhere in the NSA fortress for review later on. I am sure they have something along the same lines hooked up to google, and general web usage.

HeroHog
October 26, 2008, 08:29 PM
Let's see... Former FFL? Check.
CCW in a may-issue state when they were rare as Frog Fur? Check.
CCWs in 3 other states since then? Check.
"Randomly" searched every time I fly? Check.

Naw, I'm not on any list and "They" aren't watchin us here... :p

HuntAndFish
October 26, 2008, 09:52 PM
I say No. Anything that would be posted in a public area on this site in any vein that the ATF would be interested in would be quickly removed by the moderators. If it was seriously threatening it would probably be reported to the authorities by Mr Lucibella.

I would guess they aren't wasting their time here, unless it's their hobby.

Johnny Guest
October 27, 2008, 10:31 PM
I'm a little surprised that there haven't been a lot more posting on this thread. Mildly amusing, but really pretty off topic.

Closed

Johnny