PDA

View Full Version : An 1858 Remington SNUBBIE!!!

1858Remington
October 18, 2008, 08:20 AM
I read an article a while back in "Guns of the Old West" magazine about this.

a fella took a 58 remmie, chopped the barrel, and rounded the butt, to make a "Bull Dog" style revolver.

Just so happens, I had 2 Uberti 58 Remmie Melleniums, so I decided to cut one myself.

Taking a hacksaw to a gun is very stressfull.:(

I had a gunsmith check and form the crown, and replace the front sight on the now 3 inch barrel.

I used an R&D conversion to 45Colt, and a Kirst cylinder pin retainer to keep the cylinder from comming out.

I am still debating on wether or not to round the back strap.

http://http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/1074/snubbytitlednv3.jpg

In 45colt this is a fun gun.

1858Remington
October 18, 2008, 08:21 AM
Heres its partner..

w_houle
October 18, 2008, 08:54 AM
"I am still debating on wether or not to round the back strap."

Do you mean like a birdhead? It should be neat to see, but would think it would be hard to execute. Would like to se the results.

Tom2
October 18, 2008, 09:56 AM
I can see cutting the barrel of the Rem. to 4 or 5 inches, but for a snubbie, the open top Colts seem a bit less bulky. But that is not with a CF conversion in mind.

drdirk
October 18, 2008, 10:01 AM
I absolutely love the idea. Looks great. I was thinking to do the same to one of my Ruger Old Army but don't have a gunsmith I trust to do it and certainly would not trust myself with a hacksaw ;)

Anybody know a gunsmith that would cut the barrel, recrown and put a sight on for an affordable price?

Enjoy it, looks great!

arcticap
October 18, 2008, 11:17 AM
Nice snubbie! :)

drdirk,
I've known the gunsmithing outfit listed below for many years.
They specialize in building 1911's and AR rifles, but they can do anything.
They apply hot bluing and all kinds of finishes, and they have all of the equipment and experience needed to perform any gunsmithing job.
If you really need to find a gunsmith, then contact them and see what they can do for you.

http://www.jojosgunworks.com/index.html

noelf2
October 18, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm glad you're happy with it, and it's a nice project and all, but I prefer the long barrel on a cap and ball (or cowboy action conversion) revolver. A period correct remi repro cost about $220; R&D cylinder is about $240; gunsmith work would be at least $50; and the kirst cylinder pin retainer would be, what, another $30 or so? Figuring low, the cost of that gun (without a rounded butt) is about $540 bucks (not counting any of the shipping for parts). Let's make a reasonable estimate of $550, all for a gun that will only shoot low cowboy action pressure rounds. Why not get a Ruger Vaquero or Blackhawk that will shoot modern pressure 45LC rounds as well?

I have one remi now, and one remi target model on the way from Cabelas. I loves me a remi, but I don't think I could do that to one. Thats just me. As I said, I'm glad you are happy with it, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it a lot.

mike6975
October 18, 2008, 07:10 PM
here was the thread i started,you and me must be on the same wavelength,i've got some more "mod" ideas if you want to here them?

Respectfully,

mike

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=300356

madcratebuilder
October 19, 2008, 08:21 AM
Mike, those are nice. I think I have a winter project now.

mike6975
October 19, 2008, 12:19 PM
heres a few pics to get you started i post more on the next post

mike

mike6975
October 19, 2008, 12:27 PM
here are some more pics for your viewing,also here is a ballistic chart for c&b versus modern .45acp pretty interesting.

Respectfully,

mike

after doin some research and reading i found out this:

(colt model 1860 army 44 cal. 8" barrel)
37 grain load/138gr.=.451rb bulllet/1030fps@325ft.lbs

(magtech cowboy load) cartridge
45 lng. colt 250grn. bullet 761fps@323ft.lbs

(ultramax cowboy ammo)
45 lng. colt 250grn. bullet 750fps@300ft.lbs

(colt walker 9" barrel)
50 grain load/141gr.=.454rb bulllet/1200fps@450ft.lbs!!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
modern gun ballistics

(wolf gold line ammo)
45 lng. colt 185grn. bullet 935fps@355ft.lbs

(cci blazer ammo)
45 lng. colt 230grn. bullet 830fps@352ft.lbs

(winchester pistol usa ammo)
45 lng. colt 230grn. bullet 835fps@356ft.lbs

(remington handgun ammo)
45 lng. colt 230grn. bullet 835fps@356ft.lbs

(hornady ammo)
45 lng. colt 230grn. bullet 850fps@369ft.lbs

Smokin_Gun
October 19, 2008, 12:51 PM
I am still debating on wether or not to round the back strap

I think it looks Great as it is, I'd leave the stock grip...looks like a Rem with destinctive grip.

SG

mike6975
October 19, 2008, 02:50 PM
heres what i eventually will be creating.i know the pic is huge and sucks but it's all i had at the moment.feedback as usual is always appreciated.:D

Respectfully,

mike

Tom2
October 19, 2008, 05:05 PM
Whoa a Fitz Special BP Rem! Well take comfort in that I bet that back in the 19th century, alot if not most of the short barrel conversions were done by more like "blacksmiths" than trained gunsmiths. I bet on the frontier, they used a saw, or maybe just files, to cut down the barrel and square it off clean. Not a lathe and micrometers. So if they could do it on the frontier, I bet most of the guys here could trim a barrel back and make it square enough to look and shoot alright.

simonkenton
October 20, 2008, 09:37 PM
Taking a hacksaw to a gun is very stressfull

That's right.
That is why you should do like I did, use a Sawzall.
With a fine toothed metal cutting blade, it goes through that Italian steel like a knife through butter.

zippy13
October 22, 2008, 11:58 PM
I want one!
But, I'm not quite ready for a hack saw nor a Sawzall.

I see what might be a common snubby problem: With the loading lever removed, the cylinder pin is no longer captured. When you fire the snubbies, doesn't the cylinder pin want to take off? Elmer Keith developed a supplemented base pin latch for his hot loaded Colt SSA's. I'm curious, has anyone got a slick solution for '58 snubby cylinder pin retention?

mike6975
October 23, 2008, 07:08 AM
kirst makes a cylinder pin catch,check there site out.

Respectfully,

mike

zippy13
October 23, 2008, 12:00 PM
Mike
kirst makes a cylinder pin catch,check there site out.
Thanks for the reference to the Kirst pin catch, I missed it in the initial posting. All I could google is http://www.kirstkonverter.com, but I didn't see any mention of the snubby kit. Do you know, does Kirst have another site?
Thanks,
Z

mike6975
October 23, 2008, 03:04 PM
try this link,and go to the bottom of the page.enjoy!, my friend.:D

Respectfully,

mike

http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/konverteracc.html

zippy13
October 23, 2008, 03:56 PM
mike

Yea, I found it! Thanks, again.

1858Remington's first pic shows a cylinder-out stubby, but I didn't see any means of retaining the cylinder pin. I was looking for a notch, or something that might explain how an internal latch might work. Now that I know the external speed latch wasn't installed in any of the pics, it all makes sense.:)

http://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/clip.jpghttp://www.riverjunction.com/kirst/clipngun.jpg

mike6975
October 29, 2008, 07:16 AM
hey zippy here are some more pics i found hope you enjoy along with anyone else thats interested.this first one was made by the owner himself.

Respectfully,

mike

mike6975
October 29, 2008, 07:20 AM
this second one was made again by the owner.

mike6975
October 29, 2008, 07:30 AM
yes thats what i said,you may or may not like it but it's different from all the rest.heres a before and after pic for comparrison.

Respectfully,

mike

long rider
October 29, 2008, 09:35 PM
Well theres one thing to be said about that walker snubby,
when you shoot the darn thing the loading lever wont drop
down?,:D

mike6975
October 29, 2008, 10:54 PM
not only that,i wouldn't want to be on the other end of that beast going off!!:eek:

Respectfully,

mike

zippy13
October 30, 2008, 09:09 AM
Thanks, mike6975.
IMHO, the brass latch, on the 58 snubby, is much nicer looking than the abbreviated loading lever.
Just thinking out loud... Trying for a latch that's as unobtrusive as possible... For an original cylinder, it's important that the pin be easily removed. But, for a cartridge conversion (with a loading gate), the pin and retaining system might be significantly reduced -- it wouldn't necessarily need to accommodate a tool-free removal, would it?

mike6975
October 30, 2008, 12:48 PM
i'll try to see if i can come up with some pics of others,or if anyone else can think of what this gentlemen is talkin a'bout

zippy13
October 31, 2008, 02:56 AM
mike6975

Thanks for the pics, but we've got a little misunderstanding, what I'm thinking about may nor have been made, yet.
I'm just wondering... if I go the snubby route (with a loading gate) what latches are available, and what might be possible. Thus far, all the ones I've seen accommodate quick removal, of the original pin, for models that require the cylinder to be removed to re-load. If I don't mind using a screw driver or allen key to remove the pin, I assume I can really clean up the pin's T-square grip.

Z

mike6975
October 31, 2008, 02:07 PM
sorry zippy,i think your right i don't think that it has been made yet or i've yet to see it maybe someone else has, that could help out.

Respectfully,

mike

mike6975
October 31, 2008, 05:13 PM
i know you probably already did,but did you look at the river junction trade co. kirst add-on ejection system with cylinder pin,is that what your lookin for my friend,gosh!,i wish i could be of more help bro.

Respectfully,

mike