PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Black Powder Brass

Smoke & Recoil
October 4, 2008, 08:44 AM
How do other folks clean their brass after shooting
black powder and/or it's substitute?

ocharry
October 4, 2008, 09:18 AM
i put my brass in a plastic jug with hot water and dish soap,,swoosh it around for a few seconds and pour out the soapy water,,then put in some hot clean water swoosh it around,,,pour it out and then putin some more hot clean water and let it set for a few min.,, pour it out and dump brass onto a paper towel to dry

or after all the swooshing instead of placing onto a towel to dry it goes straight into the tumbler

in the tumbler are little pieces of ceramic and water and soap,,,and after about an hour,,,,taa,,,daa,,,,nice shiny brass with the primer pockets clean and ready to dry on the paper towel,,,,that ceramic stuff IS the katz az

i do the cleaning in the plastic jug always first to get the worst off the brass,,,guess maybe i wouldn't need to,,,,but i do it any way,, just cause

my .02

ocharry

PaultheWall
October 4, 2008, 09:28 AM
After cleaning with clean rag soaked lightly with Ballistol and hot water, I dry brass thoroughly, then clean with Nevr Dull, wiping it to a nice shine with a clean, dry rag.

Works great.

Fingers McGee
October 4, 2008, 10:08 AM
Dump it in a plastic jug with water & a few drops of dish soap. When the jug gets full of brass (or it's time to reload), rinse thoroughly with hot water, lay out on paper towels to dry, or arrange in an old cake pan & dry in 200 degree oven for 30 min or so. At this point the brass is clean (but still stained) and ready to reload. If you want it polished - a couple hours in the vibratory cleaner will do the job.

This is way more work than is necessary:After cleaning with clean rag soaked lightly with Ballistol and hot water, I dry brass thoroughly, then clean with Nevr Dull, wiping it to a nice shine with a clean, dry rag

JMHO

Smoke & Recoil
October 4, 2008, 11:55 AM
Looking good so far, keep them coming in :).

prm
October 4, 2008, 08:49 PM
Just let it turn a nice patina or even better get some Birchwood Casey Brass Black and really antique it.

darkgael
October 5, 2008, 03:31 AM
"Dump it in a plastic jug with water & a few drops of dish soap. When the jug gets full of brass (or it's time to reload), rinse thoroughly with hot water, lay out on paper towels to dry, or arrange in an old cake pan & dry in 200 degree oven for 30 min or so. At this point the brass is clean (but still stained) and ready to reload."
+1 - exactly how I do it.

Pete

Mk VII
October 5, 2008, 06:49 AM
I dump them in a glass jar in a solution of Micro, a very strong detergent meant for cleaning printed circuit boards. After a day or two you can rub most of the fouling off (don't use the bare hand in this stuff and it will attack rubber, too)

Pahoo
October 5, 2008, 03:21 PM
Smoke,
Just a little clarification; Are you talking about maintaining an existing shine or just cleaning off any residue? Just like PaultheWall. Mentioned, I intially use Ballistol and later wipe down with mineral spirits. As for the shine, I just let it season and Like the patina. May not look perty but a might handsome. ;)

Be Safe !!!

Smoke & Recoil
October 5, 2008, 04:41 PM
I was mainly concerned with the ash on the inside, and the green
corrosion eating its way out from the inside. Yes, the patina go's good
with the ole model "73" Winchester.

Jim Watson
October 5, 2008, 04:47 PM
Even as I type, mine is in the Tumbler's Tumbler Model B with Dave Maurer small size ceramic and his low pH concentrate in water. When I unload, rinse and dry, the outside will be polished, the primer pockets clean (decapped at the range and brought home in soapy water) and most important, the insides clean. I have heard of coke building up in BP brass to the point of reducing powder capacity and deforming bullets. Not mine, and a lot less trouble than the old test tube brush.