PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Handgun Safe

kplender
September 15, 2008, 12:34 PM
I am looking for a Handgun Safe to put under my bed. I need it to have quick/easy access to my handgun for personal defense. Any recommendations? Thanks in advance!!

tranks
September 15, 2008, 08:47 PM
i've heard some good things about GunVault (http://www.gunvault.com/minisafe.nxg) safes, but i don't have any experience with them and i don't know anybody that has one.

CortJestir
September 15, 2008, 10:19 PM
Here's a quick recap of the multitude of GunVault discussions 'round here and other forums: ;)

Quick, easy access
Don't get the biometric ones
They use a lock that can easily be broken into with a pen or screwdriver
They are fine for keeping kids and curious guests from getting to your goodies, but will not keep out a determined thief (see previous bullet point)
Most folks who have one like them and accept the mechanical locks shortcomings

That being said, I have one and I like it quite a bit. I keep it bolted to a shelf on my nightstand.

MP5
September 16, 2008, 06:23 AM
Consider a Secure-It box: a simple steel lockbox with foam inserts and a cable you can loop around another object. Available in two sizes. You can get them from Cabelas, Midway, etc.

The Great Mahoo
September 17, 2008, 08:42 PM
Anyone know of anything a bit more secure than the Gun Vault? I have been looking into one, and while security isn't exactly the highest priority, it sounds as if they are too easily defeated. I'd prefer if it were fire-resistant too.

Perhaps the better option is just not to put it in plain sight and not worry about determined openers.

tranks
September 18, 2008, 12:25 AM
i've seen some normal safes at places like menards and fleet farm for a decent price, under $150. big enough to put a couple pistols and other belongings in. they would work, you won't have quick access but it will have a better fire rating.

a1abdj
September 19, 2008, 11:42 AM
I'd prefer if it were fire-resistant too.

Two points:

Be very careful storing firearms in any fire resistant safe. Most inexpensive fire resistant safes use insulations that contain high levels of moisture. This will create a very humid condition within the safe, and can rust your firearms. On another forum, one of the members was given a Sentry fire resistant safe. They placed a hygrometer inside the safe over night, and it detected over 80% humidity.

Also, most inexpensive fire rated safes are simply a fire box with a privacy latch. They may look like a safe, but do not have the same features found in other safes designed to prevent burglary. These safes are great for protecting paperwork, but should not be used to store valuables.