PDA

View Full Version : How many of you CCW two guns at once?

Sparks2112
September 2, 2008, 09:22 AM
So, how many guns do you carry and how? Also which guns.

Lately I've been carrying my Glock 21SF at 3 o clock in a cheap suede IWB holster while my Minotaur is being made. A 2 inch taurus 9mm snubby has been riding x-draw at about 10:30 in an old leather IWB holster that's been around god knows how long.

How about you guys?

Keltyke
September 2, 2008, 09:27 AM
One gun, a Steyr M40A1 - 10+1 .40 S&W semi. If I carried more, it'd be a spare mag or a pocket gun like the Keltec P32. I'm in a small-mid sized Southern city and there's just not that much threat here.

nate45
September 2, 2008, 09:51 AM
Lately (last 6 moths or so) I've been carrying my Kahr PM9 IWB in a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 and my NAA .22 Mag in a inside the pocket holster. It has a pouch for extra ammo and I carry an extra magazine for the Kahr in my hip pocket.

Back in the old days I carried a full size 1911 IWB, a j-frame .38 Sp in an ankle holster and a .25 Auto in my front pocket. :)

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii296/nate45auto/100_0477.jpg

http://www.miltsparks.com/images/Photos/SS-2_large.jpg

http://www.naaminis.com/pix/hptm1.JPG

Hokie
September 2, 2008, 10:00 AM
I guess two, although the NAA Mini-Revolver scarcely counts. In terms of "real" guns, usually only one, preferably OWB. If I've already got a P-3AT in an ankle holster (because sometimes that's the most that can be reasonably concealed), I'll usually leave it on after I change and add on a 1911 or BHP.

kraigwy
September 2, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm gonna quote Brian Zins:

Pick a gun. learn it. Stick with it.

In case people don't know who Brian Zins is, he's a retired USMC Gunny Sgt who this year, at Camp Perry one this NINTH (as in 9th) National Pistol Championship.

BikerRN
September 2, 2008, 10:56 AM
As I type this I have a 3" GP100 IWB behind the strongside hip. Behind the weakside hip is a 2 1/4" SP101 in a Kramer MSP Paddle. In my weakside front pocket is a 442. The strongside pocket holds 2 reloads in "slow-strips".

My minimum is two guns, and I prefer three. The reason is so that I can have a gun accessable to either hand because I do not know what hand I will have available to draw with. I also do not know what position I will find myself in when I need a gun. Thus I carry more than one gun for accessability.

On Duty I carry the "issued" Autoloader but on my time I have no problem carrying a Revolver, and in fact prefer them for most things. I may "switch it up" next year and carry a Glock 19/26 combo, but I doubt I'll give up my J-Frame.

Biker

David Armstrong
September 2, 2008, 12:46 PM
I carried two when I was a working gun-toter, but nowadays one is quite sufficient.

dabigguns357
September 2, 2008, 03:48 PM
One stays on me at all time and one stays in my car unless my wife is with me then she carries the other one.

rantingredneck
September 2, 2008, 04:11 PM
Occasionally 2 guns. Most often one gun and a reload.

If it's 2, it's either a Ruger P345 or Ruger SP101 IWB at 4:00 and an LCP in the weakside front pocket.

ringworm
September 2, 2008, 04:17 PM
I'm in a small-mid sized Southern city and there's just not that much threat here.

you just arent trying hard enough...
http://www.southcarolinaparks.com/files/gallery/lg/dng_beacon_sign_2_lg.jpg

orionengnr
September 2, 2008, 05:33 PM
Just one, the Kahr PM9 most of the year.

Occasionally a Kahr P45 or 3" 1911.

Usually one reload, but not always...(yeah, I know :))

The Great Mahoo
September 2, 2008, 06:11 PM
Just one, rarely any reloads. If I can wear a jacket, possibility of reloads goes up, but I don't see a need for a second weapon for everyday carry.

JasonG
September 2, 2008, 06:57 PM
PT145 in a smartcarry. If I ever feel 10+1 of .45ACP JHP isn't enough, I'll find another place to live and work.
I guess though that's equivalent to 2 revolvers though ;)
Add a backup mag and it counts for 4 wheels !

Derius_T
September 3, 2008, 06:55 AM
Just one, my trusty .45 semi-auto that I am most proficient with. I do carry at least 1 extra magazine. I really don't see the need for 2-3 guns, mace, asp, maglite, ect. No need to be a walking arsenal. If I can't solve the SELF DEFENSE issue with 16 rounds of .45, I guess I'm in trouble.

Remember, its for self defense, not to hold off a small army. :rolleyes:

Jon-m
September 3, 2008, 08:20 AM
I don't really understand the reasoning for carrying more than one gun (especially 3?!?). Honestly, unless you are in the military or are a leo of some kind, I can't imagine a situation that would warrant 2 or 3 carry guns. Can someone point out a documented case were a citizen was forced to fire more than one gun LEGALLY in a self defense case?
If anything, I would think that carrying 3 guns and mace and a couple knives and a baton (just in case :rolleyes: ) would be detrimental to your case if you ever had to actually use your weapon.
It seams to me that if you had to go up in front of a jury, many would wonder why on earth someone would need to carry around that much firepower, unless they were looking to start trouble (and that would be a reasonable question too..)
So, if your primary carry gun seems insufficient to you, why don't you just replace it with one that fits your needs better?

ferretray
September 3, 2008, 08:26 AM
kraigwy, as a Marine formerly on active duty I respect what the Gunny has accomplished. I also find merit in his opinion on learning and knowing your firearm. That being said, a revolver is a revolver. There are many options out there in full-size, compact and subcompact versions of weapons with the same controls. I'd say its most important to select your equipment properly and train with it.
I remember a story about a guy laying out a bunch of custom fighting knives in front of a martial arts honcho and asking his opinion of em'. He said they were all very nice but it was the warrior wielding them that made the difference.
I've toted a K frame revolver for work with a J frame BUG. Its a system to me. I trained with both. When my 642 comes in I'll carry it in addition to my N frame. Slipping that little shooter into an offside pants pocket won't cause me to grow a humpback (The Mountain Gun has that privilege :D) and at most will displace some spare change. For ME, its more than worth it and I'm thankful that these tools are available.

Stevie-Ray
September 4, 2008, 12:34 AM
I always have my backup with me, the P32. Even when I have my primary.

AZ Med18
September 4, 2008, 01:14 AM
2 Primary is Springfield XD 9mm Service and secondary is a Ruger LCP 380.

About multiple weapons, I read in a magazine that those have been used against some people in self defense cases but the defendent was able to justify it because of round count. LEO carries 16 in gun and 2 spare mags that equals 48 total. This guy carried 3 guns that IIRC only totaled 36 rounds.

Thus the Rambo mantra was left alone.

Ohio Rusty
September 8, 2008, 04:22 PM
I only have and own 1 gun, a Keltec .380. I carry that one evrywhere, everyday.
Ohio Rusty ><>

FLA2760
September 8, 2008, 04:28 PM
Glock27 and a Smith 642 as a BUG. Sometimes a Kel Tec P32 as a BUG if the wife takes my 642. :rolleyes: Reloads for each. ;) Why a BUG? Mr. Murphy has visited me more than once.

guntotinguy
September 8, 2008, 04:36 PM
I carry 2 (usually) my XD 45 and the Bersa 380 (as the BUG) and often enough I change up and carry the Slimhawg .45 and the XD 9MM.I always carry extra mags with the specific guns I carry...

KLRANGL
September 9, 2008, 11:24 AM
Well im still working on getting the CCW permit for VA, but I figured I had something to say on the matter (yay first post ;)). I do open carry my USP compact on occasion when im not commuting to/from campus, usually with a spare mag, but because of the escalation of violence laws in VA (and im sure elsewhere) I leave my weak side open for the carry of either my Blackhawk Gladius or Surefire 6P defender (80lumens in the face is a decent deterrent and gives you an great advantage in a nighttime confrontation). A Kershaw torsion assist folder is always in my repertoire in case someone tries taking my sidearm from me (a hard feat in its Serpa holster)... Feel free to critique this load out though... I love bein told im wrong, so I can make it better...

hoytinak
September 9, 2008, 11:29 AM
I only carry one at a time whether it be my SW1911PD commander, P2000SK, LCP or LWS32 and 99% of the time I don't carry any reloads with any of these either.

45Marlin carbine
September 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
on my person I carry one - either my Mak or a Beretta .32acp.
If I'm on my motorcycle and going into a remote area alone I have taken 2 pistols with spare mags and ammo and/or speed loader if a revolver.
I do this due to some 'unpleasantness' I encountered years ago - it ain't gonna happen again - or at least not without a heck of a lot more shooting on my part.

bikerbill
September 18, 2008, 11:08 AM
I pocket carry a Kahr PM9 when it's hot; Kimber Ultra Carry II when it cools off ... I don't carry reloads, tho I do always carry a knife ... my car gun is a Taurus 85, and I do have a speedloader in the glovebox next to the gun if needed ...

BikerRN
September 18, 2008, 03:14 PM
I don't really understand the reasoning for carrying more than one gun (especially 3?!?). Honestly, unless you are in the military or are a leo of some kind, I can't imagine a situation that would warrant 2 or 3 carry guns. Can someone point out a documented case were a citizen was forced to fire more than one gun LEGALLY in a self defense case?
If anything, I would think that carrying 3 guns and mace and a couple knives and a baton (just in case ) would be detrimental to your case if you ever had to actually use your weapon.
It seams to me that if you had to go up in front of a jury, many would wonder why on earth someone would need to carry around that much firepower, unless they were looking to start trouble (and that would be a reasonable question too..)
So, if your primary carry gun seems insufficient to you, why don't you just replace it with one that fits your needs better?

I'll try to enlighten you, bear with me.

I carry more than one gun for two reasons. The first reason is, it's a faster reload, even with an Autoloader, to draw a second gun than to try and sove bullets into an empty gun. This holds true even if I'm using an Autoloader.

Most likely I will not need to reload even a Revolver in an off duty encounter, but one never knows for sure. The other and more important reason for carrying multiple guns is to have a gun available no matter which hand I have available to draw with.

If something happens I may be busy using my stronghand to push a loved one out of the way, it may be "pinned" by the badguy in an "up close and personal" encounter or I may be shot in my gunhand. Thus I have a gun available to the weakhand.

While having a gun available to both hands I also may not be able to draw quickly, thus a gun on the ankle. This is really "handy" when driving and car-jacking is a possiblity, or when I'm sitting down in a chair. The gun in the pocket is nice when walking across a parking lot. I can have my hand on a gun without anybody knowing.

No, I'm not Rambo. I'm just somebody that has had to use his BUG before while his stronghand busy deflecting a blade. We each make our own choices and do what we consider is appropriate. Of three "Armed Encounters" only one has been "On Duty".

Biker

gordo_gun_guy
September 18, 2008, 11:13 PM
I always have my backup with me, the P32. Even when I have my primary.

+1, but mine is a P3AT;)

If it's not shorts weather and I don't plan on any athletics, my P-11 goes on the ankle. The ankle gun is primary while seated, such as while driving, dining, or movie going. The mouse gun in the front pocket becomes primary while upright (with the added advantage of being able to get a shooting grip on the gun while it's concealed--which makes for a fast presentation).

When I have occasion to wear a sports jacket or suit, I usually feel compelled to carry my BBQ 1911 strongside IWB with a pair of ten rounders on the off side. The pocket .380 always comes along, and sometimes so does the ankle gun, which would seem to cross into "walking arsenal". If I feel up to it, sometimes I replace the Kel-tec on the ankle with my Detonics, so that my spare 1911 mags work in both primary and ankle gun.

I am simply stating the obvious.

S832, there's a robert Heinlein quote that applies here....:rolleyes:

At any rate, while I'm totally comfortable mowing the lawn or taking out the trash with a .380 in the pocket and no reloads, I've seen enough inoportune weapons malfunctions to beleive that "two is one and one is none" as Clint Smith puts it. Heck, if I could afford it, I wouldn't carry any guns: I'd roll in an armored Mercedes and let my body guards carry the iron.

dp509
September 19, 2008, 01:42 AM
Off duty,

I carry either a Glock 19 with one extra magazine or two and a Kel tec P3at.

Summertime, a Kahr CW9, with two magazines and the P3at.

On duty, the Glock or a S & W 1911, two extra magazines, Remington 870,
Bushmaster AR-15 :rolleyes:.

BikerRN
September 19, 2008, 02:46 AM
On Duty I have more weapons to choose from.

Handgun with 2 reloads.
M4 with 2 (30 Round Magazine) Reloads
Shotgun with Sidesaddle

I also have radio communication and back-up near-by. I don't have these things, especially the back-up, when I'm off duty. Why should I limit myself when I'm off duty? That's when it's more critical to have the "tools". I intend to make it home from wherever the heck I am, and I will do so alive if I have any say in the matter.

I have been in a situation off duty where I have needed my BUG, because my strongarm was busy deflecting a blade. Some of you are fine with carrying just one gun, that's fine by me. I'm not limited in what I carry off duty, as long as it's concealed.

Those of you that think I'm paranoid, no, I just don't see the world through "rose colored glasses" and realize that there are monsters in this world.

I'm done with this thread and I'm going to check and see if there is an "Ignore" button for a certain person because they have obviously proven that they don't have sense to come in out of the rain. :D

Biker

PS: Me thinks this person is really an "Anti-Gunner" trying to attack us from within.

kayakersteve
September 19, 2008, 05:56 AM
My Sig Compact C3 45 acp with one reload - At times, I throw my Minimag 22mag NAA in pocket holster for added security - Usually not, though

fbrown333@suddenlink
September 19, 2008, 06:05 AM
Most of the time I carry only one with reloads, but I prefer to have two as you never know as to which way the threat will come from or when. My wife thought I was nuts until a man was shot and killed just four houses down from us one week and another was robbed in broad daylight and stabbed the next week, and we live in a halfway good neighborhood.:eek: As was stated here and by my grandfather (better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it) words to live by. My grand dad was a pretty smart old man.

By the way my wife nicknamed me Rambo when we first met:D

BillCA
September 19, 2008, 08:02 AM
Most of the time I'll only carry a single firearm with reloads in case Mr. Murphy intervenes. Typically, a 1911 or a single-stack 9mm pistol or a J-frame is all I think I need.

There are times, however, when a small BUG might be slipped into a jacket pocket or an IWB holster under a jacket if I'll be out during the "witching hours" (after 11pm).

Why carry a 2nd gun? Several reasons. If you carry strong side, you can't covertly prepare for action when you see that you will need to walk past a pair or trio of loitering younger males. Reaching for that hip holster will be called "brandishing" in many jurisdictions (and may actually spark an incident). Your hand reaching into a jacket pocket as if for keys is less obvious.

What's that? Just "go around" them or take a different route? That's advisable, IF it can be done. It's much less workable when the subjects are hanging around just outside the establishment you're in or if they are close to your vehicle.

tex45acp
September 19, 2008, 08:33 AM
When I carry my Wilson Combat 4" Professional, I back it up with my Taurus PT-145. When I carry my Browning Hi-Power it is backed up by my Kel-Tec PF-9. I have always thought it prudent to have a backup in the same caliber so if extra ammo is needed one can shoot the other's. Just my humble opinion.:D

Gatorhugger
September 19, 2008, 09:33 AM
You put a Big hi cap auto in your glove box. you put a small one( 380, 9mm or similar size) on your person.

Anything else is some paranoia seeping in. The reality is you have more chance of winning the lottery than using a gun in self defense.

Yes, it is good to be prepared, I am. But the multiple mags, guns strapped everywhere on your body, Mini 14 behind the seat, is a bit overboard. Well a lot overboard.

To each his own, just my opinion. Be prepared, but no need to be a walking swat unit. One gun on your body, and another in the car will take care of your person and property when out and about.

01Apache
September 19, 2008, 11:07 AM
I carry one gun, no reloads when I do carry, which is not every day. I realize some live in areas that present a higher element of risk, however I do not. I could not afford the legal defense associated with a "29 Ninjas" scenario.

rampage841512
September 19, 2008, 05:25 PM
It used to be two guns and a reload for each. Since that's how I did it longest, that is how I answered. Unfortunately I had to make the tough decision to part with one of my pistols recently, and now it is just one pistol with a reload.

JohnKSa
September 19, 2008, 10:01 PM
Several posts have been deleted from this thread.

"Pre-Insulting" everyone who disagrees with you is not a valid/polite debate technique. Hypothetical example: "Anyone who doesn't share my views/agree with my statements is paranoid/mentally deficient/oblivious and shouldn't carry a gun/should be locked up."

If you have a problem with a post on TFL report the post to the staff and let them deal with it. Trying to deal with it yourself is not only going to be ineffectual but is also likely to make things worse.

If you disagree with someone, state your disagreement & explain why you disagree. Do not insult them, complain that they always disagree with you or that they always get involved in threads that are locked, etc.

Ruthless4christ
September 19, 2008, 10:25 PM
two 1911 colt .45s. on my person. start a thread on what we caryy in our cars with us and ill give a longer response.

its been mentioned on the forum that if you ever do actually need a gun it will be the one thing you have needed most ever before in your life...i will add to that and say that if you ever need a SECOND gun it will be DOUBLY the most needed item ever in your life.

ECHOONE
September 22, 2008, 02:10 AM
My primary is a full size 1911 in a crossdraw holster,if I know Im going into a bad section of town or a place I never been then my J frame gets put on in a IWB holster @ 5 oclock,if someone asks for my wallet they get it.

bigghoss
September 22, 2008, 01:27 PM
2 guns with reloads for each. I doubt I'd ever need that but in the words of burt gummer "if you need it and don't have it, you sing a whole different tune."

I'm that way with just about everything. people tell me all the time if I took the tools, shovels, 60 inch hi-lift jack, ect. out of my blazer I could pick up some mileage and have room to haul stuff. but everytime I've ever gotten stuck, or broken down, or something else I've never thought I'd need that stuff.

it's better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

ronto
September 22, 2008, 04:12 PM
Ruger SP101 daily...5 357 JHP's for sure will do the job.

KLRANGL
September 22, 2008, 04:37 PM
Did I also mention I carry a tank, you know, just in case the Russians invade... I mean its better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it... ;)

Point being just carry what you are comfortable with... Any one of us could have weapons go down and need backups, but if you aren't comfortable carrying it every day, then whats the point? We are carrying to defend our life, but not at the expense of letting it run/ruin/change our lives... Whether its 5 guns, 1 gun, or no guns... if you feel happy then no one in the world should be able to tell you you are over or under prepared...

Which is why I have nothing against someone who wont carry. Its not for everyone, much like carrying 2 or 3 or 4 guns isnt for everyone...

bigghoss
September 22, 2008, 07:44 PM
well first off the cold war's over so I don't think we need to worry about the reds anymore, though if I could drive(not carry) a tank I would but not because I'm worried about red dawn coming to life;)

and there are other valid reasons to carry a BUG other than the possibility of a malfunction, like not being able to reach your primary for whatever reason

and I never criticized anyone's decision on what they carry so why do it to me?

Ruthless4christ
September 22, 2008, 08:40 PM
well first off the cold war's over

we may be entering another cold warsoon though,(maybe even a hot war) but then again let me save that for Political;)

Arizona Fusilier
September 22, 2008, 09:03 PM
In addition to the notion of a BUG, the big reason why I carry two is to balance my clothing out for both comfort and concealment. Whether its shorts or pants with cargo pockets or a jacket, there's one on the right side and one on the left, avoiding tell-tale drooping of clothing. My match-ups are either my S&W 649 .38 and my PPKS in .380, or my Beretta Bobcat .22 with my Kel-tec .32.

In the winter, when you can get away with wearing a jacket in Arizona, I will sometimes have a more serious weapon concealed on the belt, namely my Colt Officer's model, but will still carry the other two.

fivepaknh
September 25, 2008, 05:58 AM
I carry only one and sometimes a reload.

Summer time –
Kahr K9 7+1
or
S&W .38 snubbie 5 shot

Winter time –
PT1911 8+1
or
G29 10+1

Statistically that’s all I should ever need as a civilian. If I happen to be the exception then I guess the big guy upstairs is telling me my time is up.

Ben Shepherd
September 25, 2008, 06:40 AM
Two guns sometimes. Second gun is faster than a reload. I carry sp101s. So before you think I'm paranoid, realize that I still only have 10 rounds. Some of you boys have more than that in 1 magazine.

sm
September 25, 2008, 08:46 AM
Ben Shepherd wrote: Two guns sometimes. Second gun is faster than a reload.

I also voted two guns for the same reasons Ben shared.

My situation varies. I am in NPEs (non-permissive environments) and some of these have dawgs, metal detectors and folks that pat you down ...

Then I am in situations where one gun is fine, where I prefer two, even three...
Then I might have a shotgun, or lever action in the vehicle...

ADEE is what I subscribe to being a civilian , so my goal is arrive back home at the end of my day, with all my parts, and not having had to use a gun, or anything to defend myself.

Problem 2 is real, and I really don't want to have mess with it either.

*adee*

Steve

Night Watch
September 25, 2008, 11:56 PM
:) I voted for one gun and a reload. Lots of times though - and especially in the Winter - I will carry two pistols. I always have a reload for my primary! I may, or may not, have a reload for the BUG. ;)

Moving clockwise around my waist my belt usually looks like: keys, pistol, folding knife, extra magazine, and cell phone. If I'm carrying a BUG it'll be in my support side front pocket. If I'm carrying a pair of reloads for the BUG they'll be in a small pouch in my strong side front pocket. In cold or wet weather, the BUG gets moved to an outside jacket pocket.

For the past 5 years my primary has been an IWB G-21. (You learn to live with the bulk and the weight. Nowadays, if that weight isn't there I feel naked!) :D

Amendtwo
September 26, 2008, 07:48 AM
I always carry at least 2 guns. In warmer weather, there is a NAA mini-revolver (.22LR) in my RF pants pocket and a Taurus PT111 in a fanny pack. In cooler weather, either the PT111 or a S & W 642 is in a DeSantis Nemesis in my left inside jacket pocket. When it's cold enough for a sweater, the PT111 or 642 are in a OWB belt holster.
While working, a Taurus 85 rides along in my briefcase and gets locked in my desk.
When out at night, the NAA goes in the LF pants pocket and a Kel-Tec .32 or .380 is in the RF pants pocket, and the .38 or 9x19 are in the jacket, fanny pack or belt holster. The Kel-Tec can easily be switched from pants pocket to shirt pocket and vice versa when getting into or out of a car, so that hands-on resource is always available.

45Marlin carbine
September 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
sometimes, depending on where I'm headed and/or what I'm doing. if on my M/C always if I'm headed to remote area - and spare mags/ammo.
lightly dressed just one, my Beretta .32acp and spare mag.

Un_lucky
September 30, 2008, 08:14 PM
I carry one gun (642) in my pocket whenever I can legally. I carry one or two larger guns when its practical. I have two on me 50% of the time. Three in the winter especially in an outside coat pocket.

Nnobby45
September 30, 2008, 08:55 PM
sometimes, depending on where I'm headed and/or what I'm doing. if on my M/C always if I'm headed to remote area - and spare mags/ammo.
lightly dressed just one, my Beretta .32acp and spare mag.

I most always carry a 642 BUG, and areas with lots of people concern me as much as remote areas.

MauiDoc
October 4, 2008, 02:47 AM
6+1 in my M1991A1, 1 7-round backup mag. A moot point cuz I can't carry here, anyway. Working on that; wish me luck.

no one
October 4, 2008, 12:10 PM
Para-Ordnance P-13 alloy frame strong side, with a reload mag that holds 15 rounds. A Kel-tec 380, or 32 auto in the off side pants pocket.

The para will (hopefully) solve what problems I have, the pocket pistol is to get to my wife, or friend should they need to shoot back also. The extra mag for the para is because I was always taught to carry at least one extra mag no matter how many rounds are in your firearm. The magazine is a mechanical device, and as such is prone to failure, loss or some other problem that will end ability to continue the fight unless it it replaced. The spare mag is like the spare tire on my auto...I don't want to use it, but if you have to.......

ILuvMyPara45
October 8, 2008, 11:08 AM
Para P-14 carried small of the back, one mag next to the holster...24/7 365 :cool:

Alpine Storm
October 8, 2008, 12:51 PM
Are you serious, the odds of you needing a firearm are probably 1/800,000 and the odds of a malfunction would be like 1/10,000 so if you multiply the two you are at 1.25E^-10.

You might as well carry more plausible things such as;

Life Raft
Canteen
Kevlar Helmet
Hacksaw
Ladder
Turnicate

After the first gun, any of the above will protect you long before the second gun. It's these types of posts that cast the easily applicable tittle of "gun nut" to CWP carriers.

James K
October 8, 2008, 03:21 PM
A couple of years ago, a fellow posted (or boasted) that he carried two big Glocks, two little Glocks, four extra magazines for each, two boxes of ammo, a bowie knife, a switchblade knife and a pair of nunchuks.

He said he didn't consider that being overgunned. He didn't say if he could even move.

Jim

AzNFree
October 8, 2008, 04:03 PM
a glock 23 a PPKS .380 and an AR-15 in the car......sounds like a lot i know but if you have ever been in south Phoenix........:eek:

mavracer
October 8, 2008, 10:51 PM
most of the time 1 five shot snub either 44spec or 357 and a speedloader.ocasionally I carry IWB a larger gun sometimes both.
fall/winter walks I sometimes carry OWB under flannel often on those occasions I carry these.
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii261/mavracer/P4220103.jpg

kiov
October 9, 2008, 10:30 AM
+1 on Gattor's comment.

I ccw one gun, at night or when going to seedy places. usually Kahr MK9, no xtra mags in lou alessi ankle hoster. one nasty, but legal knife, always.

cz85 stays in the car, with two 18 rd. mags.

Still, i wouldn't judge others, cause i dont know where they live or what the threat level is in their environs.

my suggestion would be to start with one and see how it goes.

also, have to admit i like they guy's style who carries two full sized 1911's. That would be pretty fun. I can see pulling both and blasting away, just like in the movies! I can just imagine some punks out to do some robberies with a little snubbie or Keltec just sheeting the bed seeing those .45's come out. (;))

chrisp0410
October 9, 2008, 11:45 AM
There was only one period of my life where I felt the need to carry more than one CCW weapon at a time was required, aside from combat deployments where you can never carry enough. Years ago, while in grad school, I was employed as a subcontractor by one of the large nationwide alarm companies you see on TV. Being employed as a "Keyholder/Responder," my responsibilities included responding to and entering contracted client's places of business to investigate alarm activations, reset the alarms and produce reports. Many of these businesses were manufacturing companies with large factory areas, warehouses, dark hallways, basements, etc. Many of these businesses were located in REALLY bad areas with very high crime rates. And here I am, walking through this area wearing khakies, a white dress shirt and a navy blue blazer.

During responses, I carried two identical Glock 23s loaded with 135 grain JHPs in a Galco horizontal rig (all the rage back in the early 90s) and I had a spare full-sized magazine from a Glock 22 on my left side hip. My flashlight was always in my weak hand with my clipboard under my weak arm.

My rationale for this firepower was that if I get trapped in some basement I would have to hold my ground until the authorities arrived which could be a considerable amount of time. if someone managed to get one pistol from me, I would at least have a fighting chance with my back-up.

I have not found another reason to carry more than one at a time.

Chrisp0410

Boarhunter
October 9, 2008, 01:08 PM
I am a lawyer and typically wear a sports jacket or suit to and from work, but rarely do I wear a jacket at the office. So, I start every morning now with a Ruger SR9 and extra mag on my hip in a Chris Stewart Ready Tactical paddle holster/mag pouch. And I also drop a Kel-Tec PF9 into my front pocket, holstered in a DeSantis pocket holster, along with an extra mag for it. Then, when I get to the office and pull off the jacket, the Ruger and its paraphernalia go into the desk drawer, leaving only the Kel-Tec in the pocket. Any trips out the door, except to the court house, is a reverse of that procedure.

It is quick and easy and works for me.

Boarhunter

Geronimo45
October 12, 2008, 11:48 PM
I don't think I'll ever need to use my CC piece, or any other gun I own.
I don't think I'll ever need to reload my gun in an action versus a hostile party.
I don't think I'll ever need a second gun.
I don't think I'll ever need a knife to fight someone off.
I don't think my vote will ever be the only thing that keeps America from electing a Hitler or Stalin.

Those all sound reasonable to me. They may be true for the rest of my life.

I carry a gun more because I can than because I think I'll need it. I sometimes carry a second gun when going to unfamiliar territory. I always carry a knife - much more for use than defense, though.
I vote, too.
It's exercising a right and taking a few precautions.

mjblucci
August 16, 2014, 10:16 PM
when i get a second s&w 637, i will carry one at 4 o'clock iwb and the second on a cross draw shoulder rig under my right arm for left hand draws. i dont think i would ever need to draw both. if i did that means bad things like being pinned down by gun fire and no where to run. but i feel it really beats a j frame speed reload as well as options for the most directly available hand for the quickest possible response time for any given situation. keeping them on one side keeps them just plain and simple better concealed for my tall yet small frame and able to be more easily kept from bumping into strangers in public being only concerned with only my right side at all.

weldonjr2001
August 17, 2014, 08:20 AM
More and more now I carry a LCP or LCR in my left front pocket in addition to whatever else I'm carrying that day because why not?

Sometimes in my daily activities and encounters, the pocket piece is easier and quicker to access than the other one.

Signal-0
August 17, 2014, 09:38 AM
The only time I've carried 2 CC pistols was when on duty (I'm a deputy)... a .38 S&W on my right ankle and a Ruger LC-9 on my left. I do NOT do it all the time and have recently stuck with just the .38 S&W.

While some may consider having two CC pistols on their person to be extreme, if you can do it w/o issue, why not?

I don't CC 2 when off duty, but won't fault the person who does...

OldMarksman
August 17, 2014, 10:21 AM
I can think of a couple of reasons why carrying a second firearm might be a good idea:

to allow you to access a firearm while you are strapped into the driver's seat of a vehicle, if you carry your primary weapon on the right side; and
to provide additional ready caspacity to the carrier of a five shot revolver.

One other comes to mind: to provide a very quick fix in the event of a malfunction.

OldMarksman
August 17, 2014, 10:32 AM
Posted by Alpine Storm: Are you serious, the odds of you needing a firearm are probably 1/800,000 and the odds of a malfunction would be like 1/10,000 so if you multiply the two you are at 1.25E^-10.No!

First, the likelihood of a malfunction is much, much higher than that' if you carry a semiautomatic. Participate in a training course, or just watch a few.

Second, while the likelihood of one ever needing a firearm on any given day is far, far less than remote, the likelihood of needing one during one's lifetime is much hither than that. And there is some possibility that one may have to fire it. And, of course, the potential consequences of not having a firearm if you do need it are extremely severe.

Third, that's not the way to look at it. You need to look at the conditional probability--the probability that if you do need to defend yourself with deadly force, you will need a second firearm. One should not rely on the cumulative probability.

jeager106
August 17, 2014, 10:53 AM
Seeing as I've seen so many things that should never happen, happen anyway, I carry one on my person with a reload & one in the console with one reload.

Sam06
August 17, 2014, 11:08 AM
I carry a Glock G26 with a flush magazine IWB in summer and OWB in winter. I have a G17+2(19 rounds of 9mm) magazine as a spare so I have 30 rounds of 9mm. I keep 2 more G17+2 mags in my vehicle.

Dragline45
August 17, 2014, 12:09 PM
Between my phone and keys in my right pocket, spare mag in my left pocket, wallet in my back pocket, and Shield 9mm IWB on my hip, I have no room to comfortable carry a second pistol around, nor do I see the need to.

psyfly
August 17, 2014, 12:51 PM
We, as a group, really need to work on our ability to tolerate opinions that are a bit different from ours. Gives a bad impression as much as the intolerance we criticize in many on the other side.

That, of course, is only one man's opinion.

I, very rarely, will carry more than one firearm under special circumstances.

I usually carry one of several guns I own, right now it is most often a Kahr PM9.

I can agree with the first six comments of Geronimo45: I don't expect to ever need a firearm for defense.

I might, however, be wrong about that. I've been wrong a time or two in my past.

I can also agree with the first part of Alpine Storm's analysis, although not his conculsion.

For me, it's not about the long odds, it's about the possibly unacceptable outcomes.

If I'm wrong about my decision not to routinely carry two (or more) I can hope I'll live to regret my mistake.

Best,

Will

Glockstar .40
August 17, 2014, 02:21 PM
Talk about resurrecting an old thread! This ones 6 years old:eek:..I typically just carry 1 with a spare mag or two. However, today I carried 2. My shield in my Garrett industries fusion IWB and my G26 in a 5.11 holster shirt.

hartcreek
August 17, 2014, 04:19 PM
I like my antiques for around town so I usually carry Ivar Johnson and H&R Top breaks in .38 S&W in custom holsters fitted into my jacket but I also carry IWB so I can carry one .38 S&W usually my Ivar Johnson hammerless IWB and then the H&R in a fitted holster in my jacket and then use the second holster for a H&R in .32 S&W. or I may substitute a .38 S&W Webbley or something else. I carry quick loader for what ever I am carrying on a given day

I also have shoulder rigs that I can customize to carry any of my black powder C&Bs or my 624 or my Automag.

What I carry depends on where I am going on any individual day and what I am driving.

Auto5
August 17, 2014, 08:29 PM
During the winter months, when my primary is buried under a heavy coat or jacket, I slip a bobbed hammer .38 snub or my lcp in my outer coat pocket.

rjfleming
August 17, 2014, 10:53 PM
As a Volunteer Paramedic I Always carry either a Walther PPQ M1 9mm (winter) or a Walther PPS 9mm (summer) both AIWB with one or two extra magazines, but when responding to a medical call at certain Flagged address's (Felon of one sort or another) or any other suspicious call I will put a .22lr Beretta bobcat with CT Laser grip in a front pocket just in case.

Claude Clay
August 17, 2014, 11:49 PM
you have 2 hands

life comes at you from all directions

---> why would you limit your ability to respond to just one side

and practice with both hands will serve you well should one arm
be damaged before or because of an action.
further, CCW's located separately on your body will facilitate
acquisition when seated or belted in a car.

JN01
August 18, 2014, 02:28 PM
I like my antiques for around town so I usually carry Ivar Johnson and H&R Top breaks in .38 S&W in custom holsters fitted into my jacket but I also carry IWB so I can carry one .38 S&W usually my Ivar Johnson hammerless IWB and then the H&R in a fitted holster in my jacket and then use the second holster for a H&R in .32 S&W. or I may substitute a .38 S&W Webbley or something else. I carry quick loader for what ever I am carrying on a given day

I also have shoulder rigs that I can customize to carry any of my black powder C&Bs or my 624 or my Automag.

What I carry depends on where I am going on any individual day and what I am driving.

I'm curious, what constitutes a Webley day as opposed to a Automag day or a cap and ball day?

FM12
August 20, 2014, 01:15 AM
When I worked uniform patrol, carried at least2: In summer had my primary duty wep (usually a 9MM or 45 semi) and a charter arms 38 in an ankle holster. In cold/cooler weather,also carried a Browning Hi cap 380 in a shoulder holster under a jacket/coat.

dawg23
August 20, 2014, 10:01 PM
One G19 (18 rounds) plus one reload (17 rounds).

Plus a couple of knives.

Don P
August 21, 2014, 07:09 AM
Hope you folks realize this is a 6 year old thread:eek:

JimPage
August 21, 2014, 08:39 AM
Don P: That's ok, I'm old enough :)

psyfly
August 21, 2014, 09:36 AM
Ya, I like old things. And my wife (Thank God) does also :).

I learned a thing or two from this old thread which is a good thing for an old dog.

W.

skizzums
August 21, 2014, 10:24 AM
I do not CC two guns, but I do keep a break-down 300BLK ar-pistol in a small duffle in the truck with a few mags. that goes into the office with me. you know, for that crazy SHTF scenario that we all know isn't going to happen, but we kinda want it to......until it really does

Stevie-Ray
August 22, 2014, 01:09 PM
Nothing wrong with resurrecting an old thread, especially when many of the latest posters weren't even members yet when it was first implemented. Likely most of the others simply missed it the first time.;) I find it rather refreshing that our new members are searching for their answers.;)

dayman
August 24, 2014, 04:01 PM
Every time I wear a long sleeve shirt.

But seriously, is rare for me.
Sometimes in the winter I have my EDC buried under layers, and pop a revolver in my overcoat pocket.
But in general, I'd prefer to fill the space with a spare mag for my primary.

kutz
August 24, 2014, 04:36 PM
Can't carry 2 in New Mexico it's the law!

Deja vu
August 24, 2014, 08:03 PM
2 with reloads for the primary.

Primary: S&W Jframe with a 8 shot speed strip
Secondary: NAA 22 short no reloads.

X_shooter
August 24, 2014, 08:11 PM
Typically one, but two on occasion. I have not given much thought why two is warranted. It just feels better sometimes. Two on body as well as one on and one off.

Gary L. Griffiths
August 24, 2014, 08:29 PM
ALWAYS have my Ruger LCP, most often also have my Springfield XDs. :cool:

TRX
August 27, 2014, 06:59 PM
ALWAYS have my Ruger LCP, plus the J-frame in the summer or a full-size .45 in the winter.

Dirty_Harry
August 28, 2014, 03:06 PM
HK P2000 or P30 and one extra magazine 9 months out of the year.

In the summer Smith J frame with a speedloader.

Yung.gunr
August 29, 2014, 05:08 PM
Right now I feel nekkid as I have not been carrying any guns for two weeks. I broke and cut my trigger finger a couple weeks ago working on a washer. Can't draw much less shoot. Yes, yes I need to do more weak side practice.

At any rate, I usually carry one out of three options. Pocket auto TCP, bigger PT709 or Springfield XD9. When I go into not so good areas, like where my FIL lives I will carry my TCP as a BUG to one of the others. Usually no reloads.
When I'm on a road trip or camping I'm usually a walking arsenal with reloads and multiple guns.

Brotherbadger
September 3, 2014, 06:11 AM
Hope you folks realize this is a 6 year old thread

The depth of the thread resurrection on this site has always amazed me. Some of you guys dig DEEP into the search function.

That being said:

I'm a 1 gun with an extra mag type of guy. Sig Sauer P220 in 45 ACP.

s3779m
September 3, 2014, 06:21 AM
It's new to me. I just carry the one CZ 75. Usually a pocket knife also but its not really for sd.

10Ringmagic
September 3, 2014, 07:42 AM
Since buying a Taurus TCP 738 for carry when nothing else seems to work, I found that it was just so easy to carry it even when carrying something else.

So yeah, I carry two most times.

10Ringmagic
September 3, 2014, 07:55 AM
Old August 17, 2014, 05:19 PM #75
hartcreek

You are hardcore!

Glad you are good with carrying antiques to save your bacon.

As for me, I will carry the most modern firearm and ammunition combo I can, till they come out with the hand held phaser!

camsdaddy
September 4, 2014, 10:27 AM
I have actually considered adding another firearm. I carry a Glock 19 in a Smartcarry and while standing I can draw almost as quick as any other holster option. When seated I would have to rock back to draw. I have debated a J frame in my front pocket so as I stood my hand would be on the grip.

Shooterstarget
September 7, 2014, 10:05 AM
Full size G21 at the 3:00 position with a bug either in the pocket carry or IWB 7:00.
Don't leave home with out them!

Nanuk
September 8, 2014, 08:19 AM
Glock and a shield. Reload for each. If I take a job, or have to go to a high threat environment then its 2 Glocks and multiple reloads.

It's not paranoia if they ARE out to get you.

Have gun-will travel
September 8, 2014, 10:54 AM
It all depends on where I am or where I am going.I ALWAYS have atleast 2 guns and reloads for both. If I am going to Durham,NC ( cesspool of NC)I carry 3 handguns

manta49
September 8, 2014, 11:09 AM
Thankfully I don't feel the need to carry any.

baddarryl
September 9, 2014, 09:00 PM
When I work it is a CM9 in the pocket and a p89 with an extra mag in the truck. After work G19 IWB at all times.

Skans
September 11, 2014, 07:43 AM
HECK NO! One gun. How much crap can a man carry without having to carry a purse?

Toney
September 11, 2014, 12:30 PM
I've always got two, if I'm out I carry three.

Got a naa in a buckle, lcp in pocket, and a cm9 iwb with a extra mag in a pouch.

Blacktimberwolf
September 13, 2014, 08:04 AM
The most time I carry a Walther PPK in .32ACP, because it's a small, reliable gun, sometimes I carry a derringer in .357 mag., for more than 40 years it was absolutely sufficient for edc and selfdefense.

fastbolt
September 13, 2014, 05:09 PM
How did this thread get resurrected after almost 6 years?!?

I mean, it started the year before my retirement, and I've been retired since '09. I must've found the thread topic uninteresting back then, I suppose, not seeing where I've voted or posted in it.

I don't make it my business to go out of the way to intentionally denigrate the equipment choices of other folks. If it's lawful, and it's within policy (for those folks who are bound by such), I don't particularly care what other folks choose to do in this regard.

I do have a care about them being totally familiar with their chosen supplemental equipment, including carry method(s) ... and be just as well versed and proficient in its actual use as they are (hopefully) with their primary equipment. ;)

That's where a lot of folks seem to have trouble, though. I've seen any number of guys and gals demonstrate lesser familiarity, comfort and even skillset with a "secondary" weapon. Is that what you really want when the situation becomes so dire that you're resorting to the "backup" weapon? :o

All of that being said, I'm rather flexible in my choices of equipment and the conditions under which I feel carrying it is prudent & practical.

No, I seldom carry a secondary weapon, especially now that I'm retired. Have I? Yes, both before and after retirement. As a general practice? Nope.

mannyCA
September 13, 2014, 05:44 PM
One is none, two is one and three is....well, you know the rest.:D

fastbolt
September 13, 2014, 07:15 PM
One is none, two is one and three is....well, you know the rest.

Okay, but some practical context is needed when it comes to a proverb or maxim. ;)

Otherwise, they'd be issuing infantry a pair of rifles, cars would come with 4 spare tires, etc. :D

One of the dismaying things I've sometimes noted is that there's seemingly no shortage of folks who are ardent about carrying a back-up/secondary weapon, but not particularly ardent about actually improving their skillset or training to use their primary weapon, let alone their second (or third, fourth or whatever) weapon, under chaotic and demanding conditions.

Sometimes folks can have a funny emphasis on what they feel is important, and the conditions and circumstances in which it may be important.

Then again, I used to know one guy whose idea of a back-up weapon was a Colt Commander, and another guy who carried a M19 snub nose, both on-duty. I don't think either guy carried them off-duty, however.

Also, I sometimes wonder (idly, not giving it that much thought ;) ) how some folks think they need to carry more weapons and ammunition on their person, when going about their daily lives, than most cops are issued or authorized to carry. :p

Not my problem, though. :)

PawPaw
September 14, 2014, 08:05 AM
One of the dismaying things I've sometimes noted is that there's seemingly no shortage of folks who are ardent about carrying a back-up/secondary weapon, but not particularly ardent about actually improving their skillset or training to use their primary weapon, let alone their second (or third, fourth or whatever) weapon, under chaotic and demanding conditions.

This^^

No human skill erodes as quickly as handgun shooting, and it behooves the acolytes to maintain proficiency through regular practice.

For myself, my preferred daily carry piece is an old J-frame that I've carried for several decades, both on duty and off. It's a constant companion

Toney
September 14, 2014, 09:56 AM
The biggest reason I carry more than one is, it would just be silly to shoot a dollar at a varmint or to just scare a dog away

Skarekrow88
September 16, 2014, 09:58 AM
Glock 30 SF with a spare mag and a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 with a spare mag as a backup

sigpro2340
September 16, 2014, 10:26 AM
1 gun at a time suits me fine.

Dragline45
September 16, 2014, 09:00 PM
HECK NO! One gun. How much crap can a man carry without having to carry a purse?

I gotta admit, sometimes I am rather envious that it's acceptable for women to carry purses but not men. While my manhood would be lost, it sure would be nice to be able to tote around a bag with a number of things I otherwise wouldn't carry. Yup, you heard it right, I sometimes wish I had a man purse :D

jr24
September 17, 2014, 07:42 AM
1 for me, personally. Though I've often considered a j-frame in the weakside pocket and training left-handed draw/shooting.

But then where would I put my phone? :eek:

buckhorn_cortez
September 17, 2014, 04:32 PM
Concealed carry law in New Mexico allows one (1) gun concealed. Therefore, in NM you would have to carry one gun open carry and the other gun concealed if you wanted to carry two guns.

JN01
September 17, 2014, 10:00 PM
I gotta admit, sometimes I am rather envious that it's acceptable for women to carry purses but not men. While my manhood would be lost, it sure would be nice to be able to tote around a bag with a number of things I otherwise wouldn't carry. Yup, you heard it right, I sometimes wish I had a man purse

You could carry a backpack. Fill it with a cordless drill, rope, and other manly stuff that will be about as useful on a daily basis as all the crap women cram in their purses. :)

Frank Ettin
September 18, 2014, 11:02 AM
I think this one has run its course.